“Excellent Hotel”

Minoa Palace Resort
Ranked #1 of 68 Hotels in Platanias
Reviewed 19 June 2013

We have just returned from a weeks stay. One of the best holidays we have had. The staff, food and hotel facilities were excellent. Plenty of space and beautiful gardens. Close to Platanias for a stroll in the evening if you wanted to eat out or have a drink. A 30 minute bus ride to Chania which has a beautiful harbour. You will want to visit Chania more than once during your stay especially at night.
We had a mountain view room which was fine - great views and woke up to bird song every morning.

Room Tip: mountain view rooms are fine
2  Thank eagle1948
Write a ReviewReviews (1,219)

Reviewed 19 June 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have just returned from 10 nights at the Minoa Palace. We stayed in the "new" - Imperial rooms side of the hotel. I agree with some of the other reviews in that this side of the hotel is soulless and has very little atmosphere. The room itself was very nice but we didn't enjoy everything about that side of the hotel. Firstly breakfast - they serve it until 10:30 but if you arrive at 10am you'll struggle to find a clean table laid for you to be seated. They should have tables ready for the entire time breakfast is served and not be visibly annoyed at your arrival with 30 mins remaining of the breakfast service. Secondly the area around the pool could do with some improvements in terms of the grass area. This area for a 5* hotel wasn't maintained enough. The grass was super untidy (and only cut 10 days into our stay) with rubbish left around too. The pool is open until 8pm yet a member of staff clears away the loungers at 5-6pm blocking the path ways around the pool (making the children's pool totally inaccessible) and appearing disgruntled at the remaining people enjoying an early evening lay in the sun. This again is not something you'd expect in a 5* hotel and was very annoying to be honest. We used the gym and the staff and facilities were excellent. I would also recommend for daytime drinks and ice creams around the pool to pop to the local shop which is literally a 5 minute walk away. The drinks are massively overpriced at the hotel. The food is too to be fair. I'm happy to pay for great quality but I don't believe the price reflects the somewhat average quality of the food. There are several broken floor tiles on the walk out to the main road from the hotel - be careful as its very easy to trip/fall.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank MrsMo77
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Just returned after 2 weeks half board. A really nice, classy resort. We went for a mountain view room which is honestly the nicest option as the pool rooms are noisy or near the road, and the garden rooms nothing to write home about. We got a lovely 3rd floor room (327) which was a corner room so very quiet and it had both mountain and sea view. The cleanliness was first rate and rooms comfy. Showers a little weak and the air con a bit temperamental though.

We spent most of our time on the beach which was clean and convenient. Breakfast at the beach restaurant was really nice. Towels on sunbeds by 7 am if you need a handy tip! The evening entertainment was lacking but a short walk down the road to Platanais and there are lots of bars and restaurants plus shopping. Chania town is a must see but very hot day time. Go at sunset and ask to be dropped at the harbour if you are in a taxi (about 17 euros). The view is unmissable and it's a lovely place to wander, and soak up the atmosphere.

Overall a superb holiday and Minoa Resort definitely the nicest place in the area. The service and staff were faultless and the food the best we have ever had half board.

Room Tip: Top floor, mountain view
2  Thank mancgirl187069
Reviewed 15 June 2013

My daughter and I have just returned from Minoa Palace. We enjoyed the hotel and its nice facilities a lot. Our room was spacious, quiet and beautifully decorated. It was situated in the old section of the hotel. The garden and the pool area were clean and kept well. Minoa Palace has many restaurants and a couple of nice bars. We loved to have our dinner on the balcony of the main restaurant. The food was delicious and the service most friendly. I would recommend this hotel to my friends, in particular to those with small children.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank AstaKW
Reviewed 14 June 2013

My wife and myself have just returned from this hotel on 11th June 2013, having used other 4 & 5 star hotels in other various locations including the far east & the states I have to say that surprisingly (for Greece) this hotel stands up very well against the others we have visited.

One slight drawback was that we had a bungalow with its own private swimming pool, but the water was very cold (not heated), this was the same for the other pools on the complex, with the exception of the indoor pool, it will probably improve later in the season as the weather gets hotter.

Whilst we were there, the other guest seemed to consist mainly of young scandinavan families with very young children & babies. Whilst the vast majority were no problem. One or two of these families spolt the hotels seperate al-a-cart dining experience by insisting on bringing babies in arms into the restaurant, the babies seemed to be way past their bedtime, & gave their parents & others a nightmare dining experiance. There is a large buffet restaurant that is more than acceptable where youngsters can be far more easily managed by there parents.

I note from previous contributors comments that if couples don't like children they should only choose adult only hotels. I don't ageed with that view, quite correctly this is a family hotel, but families do consist of members of a range of ages, from babies to teenagers. Not just very young children. Therefore everyone should be more tolerent of others in the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms with private pools are at extra cost but are worth the addition cost.
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We have just returned from 2 weeks at this hotel, OK it's not 5* but, it's still really nice. I'm guessing that the rooms in the new wing might be slightly more up to date, in terms of their design but, our mountain facing room was great. My daughter who is a very fussy eater was happy with the food and my husband and I, both put on around 5kg, so we were pleased with it too!! I am generally very fussy about hotels, having stayed in some of the best all over the world, and I was perfectly content with the standard of this one.

The lady that runs the kids club is lovely, and my daughter was in and out of there all day. But, they DO NEED some more playground equipment. However, there are some fantastic beach bars with great playgrounds a short walk away.

Now for the gripes, the pillows were way too high for my liking and, as mentioned before, the playground equipment is not very good. They also used a bug spray on our balcony which left loads of bugs dead or writhing around in agony dying, I don't want my family exposed to that kind of product.

We will visit again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 June 2013

+ big, new room, everything functioning
+ bath + shower in the toilet
+ spotlessly clean
+ got room with own pool (about 3,5m*4m so dont expect too much!)
+ free underground parking
+ location at the beach
+ big, very nice pool areas
+ excellent breakfast
+ bottle of wine + fruits upon arrival
+ internet working fine

- location 10km from Hania
- VERY touristic area, good if you like it!
- slow service at customer service desk (not reception)
- sauna, jacuzzi not free of charge at spa

Real five-star hotel. Probably one of the best in the area.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mokoma
Also consider these accommodations in or near Platanias
38 mi away
Kiani Beach Resort Family All Inclusive
Ikaros Beach Resort & Spa
Tui Sensimar Elounda Village Resort & Spa by Aquila
Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection

Been to Minoa Palace Resort? Share your experiences!