“Nice hotel, very nice people”
Review of Portiani Hotel

Portiani Hotel
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Adamas
USA
“Nice hotel, very nice people”
Reviewed 28 September 2009

I went to Milos for a conference last June and booked a room at the Portiani (accent in the last syllable) hotel. The hotel is right in front of the port area and the sea-facing rooms offer picturesque views. The location is really nice, and in the middle of the town of Adamas. Markets, shops and bars, bus stops and boats are just a brief walk away, and this means that the spot could become a bit noisier during the summer high season. In my case, I didn't experience any such inconvenience whatsoever in mid-June.

The hotel people are very friendly and offer good service. Our room had a small bedroom with the basic, necessary furniture and a nice bathroom. The terrace in front of all rooms is a nice hang-out to enjoy the ample, bright mediterranean light and the fresh sea air. Umbrellas and long chairs with tables are there to help you relax; it's almost hard to avoid enjoying a quick nap in these surroundings after a day's worth of work-I'm sure you might experience the same feeling if you find yourself there for leisure, too!

Among the amenities, a small TV connects you with the rest of the world if you need to. A honorable mention is due for the breakfast buffet, which is rich and pleasing. Definitely not to miss on the featured local delicacies and flavors. I may not be a seasoned hotel user, but the place was very clean, I found the staff courteous and hospitable, and I had a great and relaxing time at Portiani.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Key Biscayne, Florida
Reviewed 1 June 2008

After having first spent a day on board two flights to arrive at Milos airport and then a further spooky 10 minutes with one of the less weirdly cab drivers out of Milos airport in to Adamas, my little family with two tiny children was rather weary and thus my wife was understandably not quite in the mood to see her husband embark on a bargain safari for a cheap yet wonderful hotel.

The Hotel Portiani was at spitting distance from where our mute cab driver dumped us off so I made inquiries at their reception for suitable accommodation and was smilingly offered a quaint room on their top floor with elevator access, a lovely bathroom, and a shared terrace with a view of the port action below - all for the rather whopping price of 90 Euro. "A job for AmEx", I thought. "Lovely", said the wife.

We checked in, showered, and went out for dinner at one of the several restaurants directly outside the hotel. When we returned to the hotel later in the evening we were informed that there would be no running water, electricity, or elevator access in the morning from 7am to noon (check out time ;) ) due to previously scheduled maintenance. Sure enough, the next morning we had to do without showers and other personal hygiene routines facilitated by running water. Carrying the baby buggy up and down the stairs was no problem - I'm a 6'3", 210 lb mesomorph so I sucked up the humps like a heterohero.

Hotel breakfast, the fetish of my wife, was less than satisfying. Only an hour into the breakfast slot, eggs and yogurt and bread were permanently missing from the smorgasboard, tables were cluttered with the residuals of fed other that made finding a table a blood sport. Making a cup of coffee demanded three excursions to find staff to supply, cup, then coffee, and then milk. We gave up spending more calories to get fed than we were pulling off scavenging together and went instead across the street to a restaurant serving breakfast. Smart move.

At check-out I reported at the reception that I was ready to pay "90 Euros for my 2nd floor room - the one without electricity and running water." When that subtlety failed to evoke the expected discounting response I suggested that I wouldn't be all together averse to receiving a modest discount on the room's rate. Apparently that would be a big big problem as only the hotel boss could take such a momentous executive decision and he wasn't available for the moment according to the receptionist. Since I had many moments to spare before our ferry left for Sifnos I said I could wait while the receptionist tracked him down. 2 hours later we were offerd 80 Euro and 10 minutes later we caught our ferry to Sifnos. Our two week Cycladic adventure was on!

If you're somehow gravely immobilized and need access to an intermittently operating elevator or demand a centrally located shack that accepts AmEx but doesn't serve breakfast yogurt on Saturdays then the Portiani is where it's at. Had I however had 10 minutes to spare the night before then I'm rather sure that I could have found similar accommodation for half the price. (...as I managed to do everywhere else we traveled on Milos and Sifnos over the following 2 weeks)

• Liked — Closest hotel to our taxi drop off point.
  • Disliked — Promised a lot - delivered very little
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank ZooZorn
New Zealand
Reviewed 10 February 2008

The Portiani is the most convenient place to stay in Adamas being only a few steps from the port, bus stops, car hire places, parking and the centre of town. It's probably not the cheapest place in Milos but the we felt any differential was really worth it for just a few days. The rooms are of a high standard - try to get one on the top floor giving you direct access to the magnificent balcony. The breakfasts are sensational - see our photos. A nice touch was a gift of a Hotel Portiani beach bag. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Liked — The view and breakfast
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 28 July 2007

OK - before you even think about booking a hotel on Milos, know that it is quite difficult to get to/from the island. You just need to know the ferry schedules before you book. We booked a room at the Portiani and then found out afterward that we couldn't get to our next destination without flying back to Athens from Milos first. That was quite annoying. And the hotel has a strict cancellation policy, which didn't help matters. I would go back, but only if I could find a ferry to Santorini or Crete on the day I wanted to depart.

That said, it is a really wonderful island to visit. There were very few people compared to other destinations, which made it more relaxing. The beaches are fabulous, too.

In regards to Portiani Hotel, I would not stay there again, unless they updated their rooms. The beds are uncomfortable and the A/C isn't very powerful, which sucks if you're staying on the 2nd floor, which becomes like an oven after soaking up the sun all day. If you leave the windows open, you'll get a million mosquito bites. The bathrooms are tiny and very not-posh. I was washing my bathing suit in the bathroom sink and when I let the plug out, the water came up through the floor's drain. Needless to say, I didn't want to go back in the bathroom after that! Yuck!

The reception folks are nice but they could use some people who speak better english. There is a breakfast included, which was very nice and there are tons of different things to eat. We enjoyed that a lot. The location is great and very convenient.

If you do stay there, get a room on the top floor, which has a big old patio to hang out on.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — bathrooms and beds
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank megan_e_m
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed 24 June 2007

The Hotel Portiani has a good location with a nice view of the waterfront. They have a big communal deck, which makes for a good place to drink wine in the evening hours.

The rooms are clean, their shower is very good and strong, and their beds are "good" too, which is to say that they were extremely firm, but not as horribly firm as most other beds in Greece.

The noted breakfast is very good, certainly much better than most hotel breakfasts, but shouldn't be a reason to stay at this hotel as there are many good bakeries around Adamas.

The staff is relaxed and friendly. They don't go out of their way to make recommendations to you, but when my wife and I asked, they gave us a wonderful food recommendation in Tripiti (a restaurant called Ergina, I think), and recommended some great beaches too, including Sarakiniko, which is wonderful. Papafrangas, for the record, is even more fabulous, in my opinion.

There was some street noise here on Saturday night, but it wasn't really a problem.

• Liked — decent bed, shower, location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Zizza
West Virginia
Reviewed 9 June 2007

I stayed in Hotel Portiani just after it opened and again from May to early June 2007. The hotel is very convenient to the port, the restaurants and cafes on the bay, and public transportation. The hotel is simple, clean, and has big rooms. I highly recommend requesting a room on the third floor where you have a large balcony overlooking the sea. The breakfast was great and the staff was so helpful. The beaches near the hotel aren't great, but the other beaches on the island are by far the best I've ever experienced and are a short drive away. Rent a car (Niko's car rentals was great).

• Liked — Great staff, great balcony, and great island!
  • Disliked — It's not near any great beaches, but it is so convenient to transportation that it didn't matter.
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank emiller99
Tbilisi, Georgia
Reviewed 27 December 2005

We stayed 2 nights at the Portiani hotel during the Christmas holiday season when most of the hotels in Milos are closed.

The staff was very kind and did there best to make us feel at home. The highlights of the hotel are its excellent buffet breakfast and for certain rooms a beautiful view of the harbor.

• Stayed December 2005
3 Thank jezdc7
Also consider these accommodations in or near Adamas
Santa Maria Village
Delmar Apartments & Suites
Hotel Rigas
Hotel Rigas
#6 of 17 in Adamas

Been to Portiani Hotel? Share your experiences!