“I hate reviewing Lithies...I really mean it; HATE!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lithies Traditional Homes

Lithies Traditional Homes
Pasadena, California
“I hate reviewing Lithies...I really mean it; HATE!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2013

Traveling is my obsession. There simply isn't anything in life I love more. And of all the places I've been, I enjoy Europe the most. I like old stuff. Architecture. Artwork. Culture. Cuisine. When I travel, I stay in luxury apartment-like settings. I like to food shop, spend an evening cooking local foods, spend meandering the smaller streets nearby my diggs. Imbibing the environment like I'm just another resident, really makes it feel like I've left home, and I'm on an adventure.

I've had hits and misses over the years; great apartments in disappointing areas, disappointing apartments in phenomenal neighborhoods. But when both are right, I remember the trip as one of my best.

I can't say that for Lithies. It wasn't one of the best places I've ever stayed...IT WAS **THE BEST** apartment I've ever vacationed in...by far.

I hate saying it. Honest, I really do. It would be better for me, and for all the folks that have left reviews here, if we kept the secret to ourselves and never told a soul. Maybe then the prices will stay as reasonable as they are. And they are better than reasonable; in fact they're an extraordinary value. Possibly the best on the island.

And I would keep it to myself; hog all this perfection to myself, if it weren't for the fabulous staff, and the knowledge that they're better off for the truth of their reputation. Which is very, VERY well deserved.

The apartment - wine, rose pedaled bed, amazing! Excellent channel selection on the TV too!

The restaurant referrals, outstanding.

The recommended activities, fantastic.

The staff and service, incredible.

The neighborhood, perfection - and note especially - some of Santorini is very crowded! Cruise ships bring in thousands of tourists in daily. Those folks swarm over the area surrounding Fira like locusts. But, you completely avoid them in Firostefani - which is about a mile from Fira on foot. It's a challenging mile to walk downhill! But, well worth it FROM Firostefani - Uphill from Fira and didn't seems to attract any ship folk our direction. Those daytrippers never make it to the area around Lithies. That keeps Lithies neighborhood wonderfully serene. Still lots to do; sans the pushy, time-sensitive, day-trippers, clogging up the restaurants and gift shops.

Also, Firostefani is about in middle of the island. That makes both Oia and Fira walkable from Lithies.

And the Lithies-Oia trek, is the single most rewarding thing I've ever done on holiday. Don't miss it...but don't try it if you can't walk 5miles uphill. It gets tough - but it's an amazing walk. Bring water, sunscreen, and something sugary for the energy. You'll use them all. And when you get to Oia, settle in to a cliffside restaurant for a leasurily lunch, and bus it home in the evening. It's only 20min away by bus. Depending on your fitness level, it's a 4-6hrs walk.

My wife cried when we pulled away from Lithies and headed off to the airport. I teared up too. We consoled ourselves by planning our return trip before we boarded the airplane.

Maria and Alexis - Thank you for making our 2012 vacation the best of our lives.

See you in 2014
Michael & Emma

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Mike S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Wilmington, DE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2012

We stayed at Lithies from Aug. 29th through September 3rd. The view of the Caldera left us speechless as we walked to our villa. Who would have guessed that the Iris room we stayed in and the service provided to us were going to be such a highlight of our trip. We were greeted by Maria and Alexis, and from the start we were treated like family. Maria was very accommodating, helpful, and sweet. They served us breakfast every morning with a smile and the rooms were always left perfect. We got engaged at the villa and Maria celebrated with us and made us feel so special. The views are second to none, and is in a prime location to visit restaurants as well as nearby towns. When we visit Santorini again, Lithies is where we will be staying for sure! :)

Diane & George

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gth340
Morris, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2012

Lithies Traditional Homes is the most amazing place. Maria, the manager, is wonderful and so very helpful and friendly. The view is spectacular. Having a delicious breakfast while looking out over the caldera was wonderful and the glass of wine while viewing the sunsets was the highlight of a perfect stay. Euros House was a great fit for the two of us. We arrived to a large bowl of fruit and a bottle of wine in our room. Lithies is located just enough distance from the main town of Fira so it is quiet and peaceful. It is an easy walk to town or a short walk to the bus pick up so you can ride to Oia or other Santorini towns (although once we were at Lithies, it was difficult to want to leave). We thank Maria for her hospitality and for making our stay something we will remember forever. We can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: Any of the rooms would be wonderful.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cindy f
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2012

I am so glad that Maria is still attracting kudos. She was one of the main reasons our stay there was so unforgettable. We took all three houses last year and friends of ours came from Chicago and London to spend seven glorious days with us. Four of us were longtime travellers in Greece and the other two were new to all of it--now big fans! The village is perfectly away from the hurly burly of Thira and Lithies is at the end of a walkway with a small church alongside so pedestrain traffic is minimal. The splash pool is a delight and the secluded patio areas for each house are perfect. The views and the rest of it are available all over Santorini but seem extra magical here, as you sip cocktails at your private bar overlooking your private domain. I cannot recommend it more than to say we cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms--just choose the size you want.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Greg L
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2012

We endorse the preceding review. Everything about Lithies was perfect. In particular the fabulous views, the proximity to wonderful restaurants, the peaceful environment and the wonderful attention to detail in the apartment and surrounds. But the best aspect of all was Maria, the perfect hostess. Her friendly disposition and helpful advice made our stay so much more special.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Grays T
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

The best place to stay in Santorini by far! We had spent so long looking on the internet for places to stay in Santorini and we are just so thankful that we chose Lithies. It was perfect in everyway.
The accommodation is gorgeous - we stayed in Zephyr (originally had booked Eros but were upgraded for free) which is a beautifully decorated traditional home built in to the cliffside. The attention to detail in decor is incredible, with everything in the home made locally right down to the lamp shades! As an unexpected bonus we also arrived to a bowl of fresh fruit and lovely Santorinian wine!
The cleanliness, of our villa and all of Lithies was second to none! Spotless everyday - Maria was amazing - she even made sure that there were fresh fluffy towels laid out by the pool for us everyday.
The area - Firostefani - was perfect, we were a 2 minute walk away from local shops and some of the best restaurants and only a 10 min walk from Fira.
What makes Lithies just that extra bit special are the staff - in particular, Maria. She was an incredible host. Beautiful breakfasts were brought to our patio every morning and every night she would make sure that we had lovely Santorinian wine and nibbles to watch the sunset - Lithies has the most spectacular views of the Caldera !
Maria was incredibly helpful with local knowledge and recommended so many great places to eat, shop, hire quad bikes - nothing was too much trouble! (I should also mention that the places she recommended were cheaper and so much better than places we found when we were left to our own devices!) Maria really made the difference to our whole trip!
In short, I know there are a lot of places to choose from in Santorini but Lithies far exceeds all expectations. If you're deliberating over where to stay - just book! It is such a rare find - beautiful traditional accomodation, spectacular views and the best staff (Thank you so much Maria!) I have ever experienced.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ry_and_Jh
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

The view simply takes your breath away but equally as amazing are the Lithies Traditional Homes. We recently stayed in the Zephyr and Iris homes and Maria organised everything to perfection. We couldn't possibly wish for anything more, and everything was decorated beautifully. We had transfers from the port and to the airport, breakfast was good and the pool was great to sit in and watch the sunset. And as there are only 4 homes, this made for a very private stay as we had two of them. Great location, 10 minutes walk to Fira yet far enough from the crowd. I would definitely stay here again when I return to Santorini.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family