“highlight of our family trip”

The Tsitouras Collection Hotel
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Firostefani
Toronto, Canada
“highlight of our family trip”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We visited Greece with our children, 8 and 11, for the first time. Santorini was one of several islands we visited. From the photos, we were excited to see the Tsitouras Collection in person. The professional photos do not even do it justice. This boutique hotel is absolutely exquisite. The Portrait Room in which we stayed was beautifully decorated, very spacious, and spotless. The staff was very professional, polite, and always willing to go the extra mile. Eleni and George, the owners, were always available to offer advice on restaurants, beaches, shopping etc. This hotel offered my family exactly what we hoped for ...and much more. Oh, how I wish I was sipping on a cocktail by the infinity edge pool watching the sunset...

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Eli P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The family and I were so fortunate to stay at the Tsitouras Collection from July 2nd until the 8th. The hotel is in Firostefani which is between Fira and Oia and features unbelievable views of the caldera and sunsets. It is much quieter and less crowded but an easy walk to Fira, or cab ride to Oia.

What makes this hotel special are the owners, Eleni and George. From the moment we got there, they overwhelmed us with customer service. They are so friendly and warm and cater to your every need. We stayed in the TC Villa which is a 3 bedroom accommodation directly on the Caldera. I cannot imagine a better view with completely unobstructed views of the Caldera below us and Skaro's rock to the north. The sunsets were unbelievable. The Villa is located where there is almost no pedestrian traffic. So it is extremely quiet and secluded.

Every morning we would call Eleni and she would have breakfast brought to us at our convenience. The breakfast included breads, fruits, meats and cheeses, yogurt, and whatever else we might want. The food was great and always delivered within 15 minutes of our call. Also the burger sliders were incredible for lunch.

Eleni was always quick to help us arrange dinner accommodations and tours, and whenever we told the owners "Eleni sent us" we were treated like royalty. Eleni or George would check on us several times a day, just to make sure we were enjoying our stay. Several times she took the initiative to call my wife and re-schedule dinner based upon us being out on some excursion and wanting to make sure we did not feel rushed. Her many great recommendations included dinner at Pourini's in Firostefani, dinner and drinks at Dimitri's at Ammoudi Bay, a sailing trip with Santorini Sailing, and a tour of the island with Joy. All of these were home runs the whole family enjoyed.

The hotel itself is magnificent. Right on the Caldera and decorated with Greek art (the collection). The TC Villa is multi-level and has views from every floor. The refrigerator is stocked with drinks and replenished each day. The Villa has its own pool and sitting area. This is where we spent the majority of our time. It is amazing to wake up each day to that incredible view and none of us will ever forget it! This is truly a luxury property.

As for Santorini itself, certainly one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. I would recommend the hikes from Fira to Oia and also the hike to Skaros rock. Great views! Oia and Fira had many nice shops and restaurants as well. But Firostefani was perfect in terms of location and to just quietly and peacefully enjoy the views.

On the day we left, George and his staff got up extra early to make breakfast for us and to ensure we got off okay. The day before, Eleni had called the airport to make sure our plane was leaving on time.

All in all, I cannot think of one thing on our stay that was not perfect!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank gatorandredraidr
Boston
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We have stayed at the TripAdvisor top hotels on Maui, in Paris and Barcelona and many other places. Nowhere have I been able to relax and rely on the hotel owners and staff like the Tsitouras Collection. I saw the reviews on Trip Advisor and emailed the hotel because of our somewhat unique situation of five people two adults and three children, including my young son who is in a wheelchair. I emailed Eleni who suggested the House of Portraits that could work for the five of us. One concern I had was the seemly large corporate type name of the hotel; we like staying at smaller boutique hotels. The emails were reassuring and we couldn't have been luckier to have chosen the hotel. We arrived by ferry and were picked up at the dock and taken directly to the hotel. Waiting at the hotel were the Hotel's staff that carried our bags to the the hotel. I hadn't realized how lucky we were to have been near the top of the town, both for the view, but mainly because of the access to shops and the parking area where we kept our rental car. If we had been further down into the town, getting the wheelchair around would have been impossible and the view less dramatic. But the view from the hotel was dramatic; to the point that my 15 yr old son couldn't stop talking about how tourist would stop at the entrance and take pictures of him in the pool and the views beyond. It was majestic. We like to keep busy and George, Eleni's husband had a SUV brought for us to the hotel. Easiest car rental I have ever experienced. George knew every great place on the island; go here and ask for so and so; go here and ask for the owner and say George sent us. George was right on every suggestion. One day he remembered a suggestion after we had left for the car, and running down the road to the parking lot was George to tell us that we should also try a different place. George helped carry my son's wheelchair on more than one occasion; with my son in it. One day George suggested relaxing to me; something I rarely do. After that point I let the staff take care of us and it was amazing. It is the first hotel where I felt completely comfortable with the staff to help us and it make it a wonderful experience; a just incredible breakfast outside in front of the room with the view; cappuccino whenever we asked, a refrigerator in the room full of drinks; beer, liquor and water complementary and Santorini wine; along with a drink in the evening. On top of all of that, the swimming pool was refreshing and I found myself just staring into the distance from the pool and reflecting on what a great place we were in. You would get out of the pool and a towel would have been brought and was waiting on the lounge chair for you. On the first day Eleni had JoJo, one of the staff, run down the street to see if there was room at the number one TripAdvisor restaurant on Santorini; they had room for us and it was worth it. There were many such acts that made us feel so special, including coffee made at 5am for us before we left for the airport in the van provided by Eleni and George. The Four Seasons in Maui (supposedly one of the best hotels in the world) stands a significant second to the service at Tsitouras. My youngest son and I spent each night sitting on the porch in front of our room facing the setting sun across the caldera; cool Santorini white wine by my side and it was pure perfection; a memory I won't ever forget. By the way, Tsitouras is George and Eleni's last name; it isn't a big corporate hotel; it was our home in Santorini, run by our friends George and Eleni and their three year old son.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank kjj100
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

I can not say enough about how amazing our stay was at the Tsitouras Collection. The breathtaking view of the Caldera, the beautiful room & wonderful staff all made our trip to Santorini magical. Owners George & Eleni are incredible hosts & helped make our stay even better. They helped us with hiring a car (a must), with which sites to see on the island as well as recommending & booking great restaurants for dinner. There is no other hotel like it & I can't imagine staying anywhere else in Santorini. We'll definitely be back here on our next trip.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Jacqueline K
London
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I stayed in this hotel with my wife and 2 year old son in early June for 6 nights. We wanted a reasonably hot holiday with a beach. We stayed in the House of Clouds which has two bedrooms and is a perfect suite for a couple with 1-2 children.

There are a couple of things that really make this hotel more or less perfect. Firstly the owners (Eleni and George) are very good at their jobs. They are extremely attentive, charming, easy to talk to. You have a real feeling of being looked after, as though you were staying with incredibly generous friends. For example: George bought some wonderful presents for our son. They would always have time to talk. They would make very good recommendations for places to eat, and then come with you to the restaurant to make sure that you found it and that there was a table for you. When we went to the beach George or Eleni would always walk us to the car with our towels and beach crap.

Secondly all of the staff that George / Eleni have recruited have a really good manner. You feel that they are hard working yet very happy to be working there.

Thirdly the food is superb if you eat in the hotel. Having said that we found the local restaurants recommended to us were extremely good value.

The hotel is very simple: the rooms are extremely luxurious and the views are of course perfect. We had a little courtyard (shared with the suite next door) overlooking the sea.

I strongly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: It is definitely worth having a room with a courtyard overlooking the sea. Although there is a gener...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank lazy_and_spoilt
Garden City, New York
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This is a little late, but my husband and I stayed at the Tsitouras Collection June 3rd -June 8th. We were eager for our 5 night stay in the House of Nureyev after reading all of the wonderful reviews. We were warmly greeted by staff, curbside as they retrieved our luggage. We entered the hotel and were immediately blown away with the view. George welcomed us with an energetic and passionate tour of the hotel; his love of the hotel, art and Santorini was infectious. Throughout our stay George and Elani made us feel like old friends and made sure we were getting the most out of our time spent in Santorini.

Every morning the breakfast is beautifully served on the terrace or in your villa, weather permitting. The pool terrace is stunning and every evening there are complimentary Sunset Cocktails served to guests. They are very delicious! This is also were we had our private dinner. It's a stunning and very romantic setting. We happened to be on our honeymoon. But, the next night there was a larger group that did the same thing and it sounded like they were having a great time. We planned the Greek Cuisine Dinner. It was 6 courses of deliciousness and it ended with a food como. We were stuffed! The lamb in parchment paper was so tender we did not need a knife and my husband still talks about the baklava.

George helped us plan out our week with activities; semi- private sunset cruise (8 people), renting a car, Akrotiri, winery, beaches, restaurant and wine bar suggestions. We definitely felt like we got the "local" experience.

When it came time to leave we were already trying to figure out how we were going to get back to Santorini. We did not want to leave. We felt like we had made friends, not only with George and Elani, but with the entire staff. They are all very warm and eager to help you with anything you want or need. You will not regret booking a stay at the Tsitouras Collection other than not making it longer.

Room Tip: The House of Nureyev has it's own private terrace, excellent for couples that enjoy dining outdo...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Donna B
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 5 July 2014

While I have not stayed at Tsitouras Collection, I have had a recent experience with the property owner that I believe is worth sharing. For many years I have relied on TripAdvisor reviews and yet have never contributed. After this recent experience, I believe I am obligated to voice my experience.

I booked a stay for my upcoming honeymoon at the end of July (2014) at the Tsitouras. It is also my wife's birthday and so we chose to splurge on the Tsitouras for the three nights that we will be in Santorini. Unfortunately, while bleary-eyed one night on Expedia while making my reservations, I accidentally booked the wrong dates for the Tsitouras Hotel. In fact, I booked for dates that I will be in Crete and not Santorini. And, of course, I opted for the less-expensive non-refundable fee. All the confirmation emails came in and I went to bed.

A week later, I chose to email all of the hotels on our itinerary to let them know it was a honeymoon trip etc. When I emailed the Tsitouras I discovered the date issue. It had been a week since the screw up and when I called Expedia they said there was nothing that they could do. It was a non-refundable fee and the reservation was a week old. They had contacted the hotel and the hotel had refused the refund and cancellation. Expedia suggested that I contact the hotel directly.

After several phone calls between the hotel owner, Aleni - as well as an intervening call by a Greek-speaking family member - I was able to rationalize the error. Aleni was reasonable in explaining that as a small luxury hotel with only 5 suites, she has procedures and restrictions for good reason. But she also recognized the honesty of my error and I believe appreciated the effort. Rather than cancel my credit card charge, I chose to work with her. While first offering partial refund, she ultimately agreed to full refund and to cancel the reservation without penalty, which would have been over $900.

I want to add that I am very sorry for this error. Because the Tsitouras has no availabilities for the nights that we will be in Santorini. I am disappointed that we will not be able to stay there. I hope that others will get to enjoy what we missed out on and anticipate a fabulous experience given that the owner, Aleni, is a very genuine, generous and thoughtful proprietor.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cosmofozzy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Firostefani
Pegasus Suites & Spa
Blue Dolphins Traditional Apartments
Belvedere Santorini
Belvedere Santorini
#9 of 21 in Firostefani

Been to The Tsitouras Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!