“Awesome views, decent rooms”

Kafieris Apartments On The Cliff
Reviewed 31 March 2011

We stayed at this hotel way back in 2004, so am writing from memory (the drop down box on this site only allowed recent dates, so I put in March 2001 - this is actually written 7 odd years after our stay at this property). I remember charming rooms which had everything you would need - a bathroom, bedroom and a kitchenette - the bonus being the spectacular view of the Caldera from the balcony.

I recall the owner being very helpful when the seas were too stormy for the ferries to run between Santorini and Athens. He arranged for us to stay an extra night, and also arranged a drop to the airport when we were leaving.

I don't recall what we paid, as the whole trip was part of a package put together by a lovely little travel agency in Athens.

We visited Santorini in the off season so the area around the hotel was very quiet, however this gave us the illusion that we had the island all to our selves, and we made the most of it, renting a little hatchback and driving around Santorini!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gnrtravellers

Reviewed 29 August 2010

After reading some negitive reviews on this website, we were a bit worried about the Kafieris Apartments. However, we enjoyed our 3 nights very much and would return to the hotel at any time. The rooms were clean and comfortable with balcony's and amazing views of the caldera of Santorini. There is a lovely rooftop area with chairs, tables and a small jacuzzi size pool. The breakfast in the morning was nothing to write home about but they did have coffe, juice, and pound cake. The hotel is a short walk back to the main area of Fira either on the caldera view stone path or on the main road. The are of Firastefani where the hotel is is bustling at night so if you wanted to stay close to the hotel you could find many resturants and shops to keep you bust. The staff was very friendly, we had transport from the ferry when we arrived as well as to the airport when we left.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank travel1284
Reviewed 31 October 2009

Arrived by Ferry and were pleased to be met by our driver. Little did we know that this was the best of our service for the four days of our stay. After spending several days in Naxos at Costello Studios with excellent accomodatiions and service, we were really let down by our treatment by the manager here. We were yelled at the first night, for trying to use the Jacuzzi around 8 pm as she claimed it was closed for the evening. Not that it was going to be very enjoyable as the temp was extremely cold. Breakfast was stale bread and deli type cheese and meat that did not appear fresh. Manager and Owner were rather rude and indifferent to us during the entire stay. Our room had a bad odor and I realized that a sewer vent was just below our bathroom window that would not close. Not helpful with touring advise on the Island. Our flight back to Athens was late (8:30 pm) and I really had to argue with manager to get them to hold our luggage and give us our free transfer late in the evening rather than 11 am trip she said she could arrange. Would never recommend to anyone, especially with the number of rooms on the Island.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank MJBPittsburghPA
Reviewed 6 May 2009

We arrived on Santorini with night ship from Athina. We have been good welcome from the personnel of Kafieris Apartments. Very nice vacation, with gorgeous view, good service. It is small family hotel with beautiful view , smiling people and all this for very good price.
Me and my family recommend this gorgeous place, if you want to have happy stay in Santorini.
We wish you nice trip in Santorini.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2008

I stayed at Kafieris for four days in Oct 2008. It would have been decent value for 50 euros but given the terrible service and rude behavior of the hotel owner (Ioannis) and hotel manager (Nadia), I would not recommend this hotel to family nor friends.

The hotel advertises one free transfer either to or from the airport. I had arranged via email with the hotel owner to have a pick-up which was met with a very quick reply saying it was no problem. Another hotel guest (who arrived on a separate day) also faced the same situation and like me, was left stranded at the airport. After waiting for 30 min with no pick-up and no notice, I took a taxi to the hotel and met with a shrug from the hotel manager. She said it was the "van's fault."

Other rude awakenings:

1. Being scolded for showing up to breakfast 10 min before closing (even though Nadia had previously stipulated that we could show-up up until 10am). The guy who showed up at 10:01 got scolded and left with no breakfast.

2. Being refused a second towel and getting scolded by the hotel manager for asking - "one person, one towel, " she said (with hand gestures to go along with the emphasis).

3. Being told on the day that I was leaving that I could only pay with cash. (Even though I had guaranteed to pay with visa).

4. Being told on the day that I was leaving that I would have to go to the airport 4 hours early because that was the only time they alloted for a drop-off at the airport.

I found that, in general, Santorini is not known for being the most hospitable city however the staff at Kafieris would rank at the top for being the rudest during my visit.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank oia888
Reviewed 12 October 2008

I booked a reservation with Margarita Hotel (a cheaper property) which is owned by the same man but was delivered to this hotel by the airport shuttle because the Margarita Hotel was full for the weekend. (Incidentally, I had no problems with transportation to or from the airport being provided in a timely manner; transportation from the airport is free, transportation to the airport is 5 Euro). I was brushed off by the owner and told that I would move to the Margarita after the 1st 2 nights of my stay. After I recovered a bit from 18 hours of travel, I told Nadia who manages the hotel that it would be very inconvenient to move but she just shrugged.

The next morning I left a housekeeping tip, as is my custom, and by the end of the day Nadia told me that she arranged for me to stay at the Kafieris Apartments for the price that I had booked at the Margarita. She was very kind to me for the duration of my stay but be aware that she speaks very little English.

The room was clean but furnishings, linens are very old. The room phone didn't work (Nadia's lack of English was a real problem when I was trying to resolve this problem). The hotel is a decent value for 50 Euro, which a previous poster said she paid. Nadia told me that the room rate was 80 Euro, which would be an outrageous price to pay for these accommodations.

I was surprised to see that another review stated that this hotel is a 5 minute walk to Fira. It is a 15 minute walk to the commercial section of Fira, which is where you get dinner because there are essentially no restaurants in Firostefani.

Depending on what you're looking for in a hotel, this could suite your needs .... but not if you're going to be charged 80 Euro!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank FiveforTee
Reviewed 1 May 2007

I paid $50Euros a night in April. My room (#9) had the most exquisite view but the rooftop views were gorgeous too. I got exactly what I paid for.....a room, a bathroom and free breakfast. It was perfectly adequate and the staff is very nice. For you single ladies traveling along, I was fine.

The hotel is only a five minute walk to Fira the captial. Granted the climb back is steep but hardly a climb.

Enjoy!