“Small, quiet hotel with AMAZING views!”

Kafieris Apartments On The Cliff
Reviewed 29 August 2010

After reading some negitive reviews on this website, we were a bit worried about the Kafieris Apartments. However, we enjoyed our 3 nights very much and would return to the hotel at any time. The rooms were clean and comfortable with balcony's and amazing views of the caldera of Santorini. There is a lovely rooftop area with chairs, tables and a small jacuzzi size pool. The breakfast in the morning was nothing to write home about but they did have coffe, juice, and pound cake. The hotel is a short walk back to the main area of Fira either on the caldera view stone path or on the main road. The are of Firastefani where the hotel is is bustling at night so if you wanted to stay close to the hotel you could find many resturants and shops to keep you bust. The staff was very friendly, we had transport from the ferry when we arrived as well as to the airport when we left.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank travel1284

Reviewed 31 October 2009

Arrived by Ferry and were pleased to be met by our driver. Little did we know that this was the best of our service for the four days of our stay. After spending several days in Naxos at Costello Studios with excellent accomodatiions and service, we were really let down by our treatment by the manager here. We were yelled at the first night, for trying to use the Jacuzzi around 8 pm as she claimed it was closed for the evening. Not that it was going to be very enjoyable as the temp was extremely cold. Breakfast was stale bread and deli type cheese and meat that did not appear fresh. Manager and Owner were rather rude and indifferent to us during the entire stay. Our room had a bad odor and I realized that a sewer vent was just below our bathroom window that would not close. Not helpful with touring advise on the Island. Our flight back to Athens was late (8:30 pm) and I really had to argue with manager to get them to hold our luggage and give us our free transfer late in the evening rather than 11 am trip she said she could arrange. Would never recommend to anyone, especially with the number of rooms on the Island.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank MJBPittsburghPA
Reviewed 6 May 2009

We arrived on Santorini with night ship from Athina. We have been good welcome from the personnel of Kafieris Apartments. Very nice vacation, with gorgeous view, good service. It is small family hotel with beautiful view , smiling people and all this for very good price.
Me and my family recommend this gorgeous place, if you want to have happy stay in Santorini.
We wish you nice trip in Santorini.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2008

I stayed at Kafieris for four days in Oct 2008. It would have been decent value for 50 euros but given the terrible service and rude behavior of the hotel owner (Ioannis) and hotel manager (Nadia), I would not recommend this hotel to family nor friends.

The hotel advertises one free transfer either to or from the airport. I had arranged via email with the hotel owner to have a pick-up which was met with a very quick reply saying it was no problem. Another hotel guest (who arrived on a separate day) also faced the same situation and like me, was left stranded at the airport. After waiting for 30 min with no pick-up and no notice, I took a taxi to the hotel and met with a shrug from the hotel manager. She said it was the "van's fault."

Other rude awakenings:

1. Being scolded for showing up to breakfast 10 min before closing (even though Nadia had previously stipulated that we could show-up up until 10am). The guy who showed up at 10:01 got scolded and left with no breakfast.

2. Being refused a second towel and getting scolded by the hotel manager for asking - "one person, one towel, " she said (with hand gestures to go along with the emphasis).

3. Being told on the day that I was leaving that I could only pay with cash. (Even though I had guaranteed to pay with visa).

4. Being told on the day that I was leaving that I would have to go to the airport 4 hours early because that was the only time they alloted for a drop-off at the airport.

I found that, in general, Santorini is not known for being the most hospitable city however the staff at Kafieris would rank at the top for being the rudest during my visit.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank oia888
Reviewed 12 October 2008

I booked a reservation with Margarita Hotel (a cheaper property) which is owned by the same man but was delivered to this hotel by the airport shuttle because the Margarita Hotel was full for the weekend. (Incidentally, I had no problems with transportation to or from the airport being provided in a timely manner; transportation from the airport is free, transportation to the airport is 5 Euro). I was brushed off by the owner and told that I would move to the Margarita after the 1st 2 nights of my stay. After I recovered a bit from 18 hours of travel, I told Nadia who manages the hotel that it would be very inconvenient to move but she just shrugged.

The next morning I left a housekeeping tip, as is my custom, and by the end of the day Nadia told me that she arranged for me to stay at the Kafieris Apartments for the price that I had booked at the Margarita. She was very kind to me for the duration of my stay but be aware that she speaks very little English.

The room was clean but furnishings, linens are very old. The room phone didn't work (Nadia's lack of English was a real problem when I was trying to resolve this problem). The hotel is a decent value for 50 Euro, which a previous poster said she paid. Nadia told me that the room rate was 80 Euro, which would be an outrageous price to pay for these accommodations.

I was surprised to see that another review stated that this hotel is a 5 minute walk to Fira. It is a 15 minute walk to the commercial section of Fira, which is where you get dinner because there are essentially no restaurants in Firostefani.

Depending on what you're looking for in a hotel, this could suite your needs .... but not if you're going to be charged 80 Euro!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank FiveforTee
Reviewed 1 May 2007

I paid $50Euros a night in April. My room (#9) had the most exquisite view but the rooftop views were gorgeous too. I got exactly what I paid for.....a room, a bathroom and free breakfast. It was perfectly adequate and the staff is very nice. For you single ladies traveling along, I was fine.

The hotel is only a five minute walk to Fira the captial. Granted the climb back is steep but hardly a climb.

Enjoy!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled solo
2  Thank HollyWItt
Reviewed 7 August 2006

Our apartment for a family of four comprised a room with two 4ft wide beds and a poorly equipped kitchenette with cupboards that either wouldn't stay shut, or had mould inside that made the kitchen smell very unpleasant. The air-conditioning left puddles on the floor and I found myself waking up with a very stuffed up nose when it had been on all night. We were promised free transfers to and from the port, but did not realise that it had to be timed to their convenience rather than ours. We were delivered to the port two hours earlier than we needed to be there, there was no choice about that. The welcome was more military than cheery. The roof top Jacuzzi was very cold and didn't work. During our stay, it was so windy up on the roof that furniture got blown around and hardly anyone used it. Fair to say the view is really wonderful, you can see the blue-domed church and bell tower that you see on so many postcards, but it is the most blustery peak. Having stayed at 6 different accommodations during our island hopping holiday, we reckoned that this was the worst value accommodation. Wish we'd done Santorini on a day trip especially as Acrotiri is currently closed!

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank aravisthecat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Firostefani
Blue Dolphins Traditional Apartments
#5 of 21 in Firostefani
Belvedere Santorini
Belvedere Santorini
#8 of 21 in Firostefani

Been to Kafieris Apartments On The Cliff? Share your experiences!