“Small and friendly”
Review of Margarita Hotel

Margarita Hotel
Ranked #20 of 21 Hotels in Firostefani
Reviewed 22 August 2012

The Margarita Hotel is a small, friendly, family run hotel within walking distance of the town ( and I am 67) and close to good restaurants and good positions to watch the sunset. There is a bus stop close by for the town and Oia. We were met at the port and were served a cup of coffee on our terrace on arrival at the hotel. The staff went out of their way to be helpful on all occasions. We loved being able to sit on our terrace to enjoy the view and to watch the donkeys/mules parade by in the mornings and evenings. The pool was a good size and everything was clean and tidy. Breakfast was basic, but who cares when the atmosphere is so pleasant..

Room Tip: All rooms seemed to be well situated.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 August 2012

I didn't mind it here at all. I had a room right off the pool which was nice. The bed, while not luxurious, wasn't miserable at all. There is AC in the rooms and though I had to move things around to accommodate my needs, I did manage to find space to do a little bit of a workout in the rooms. This was before I discovered the 'work out room' next to the pool. The equipment isn't exactly in working order but there are some weights and it's a nice idea. Also there are some mats there which are nice to have access to. I didn't use it but I know my neighbors really enjoyed the sauna there.

Probably not the most important information to be sharing to most folks, sorry!

The rooms were decent however I had a minor infestation with ants-those little tiny ones so small that you can't bring yourself to kill them because a breeze goes by and they just blow away-those ones. However, they were there and it's worth mentioning. I personally had no problems with the bathrooms but yes, you did have to deal with splashing water all over the room-even with the odd semi circular shower curtain. After so many travels I'm used to this so no problem to me.

Breakfast-served to each person on a tray(brought out by the owner)-cold cuts, cheese, toast, a muffin and yogurt. Your choice of coffee or tea and juice. You won't get fat on this breakfast but it'll get you out the door!

Location: It's a very short walk up the hill to get to the main center of Fira and all the restaurants and shops. Also from up there you can look down on the Caldera area which by anybody's standards is simply beautiful. If you walk just a short distance, you'll be at the best restaurant I enjoyed while in Greece, called the Taverna Romantica-an authentic Santorinian restaurant that the hotel staff suggested to me. There aren't spectacular views to be had from this hotel in comparison to the rest of the island, but they aren't too shabby, either.

Value and Service: For under 50 Euros per night during high season (July), I can't complain about very much here. Having a pool is really nice for when you just want to sit and reflect on your journey, and the staff was great about letting me stay in the room until my boat left (at midnight) for Rhodos. They also gave me a ride to the port that night. I cannot wait to return to Santorini and I would not complain about staying here agian.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 June 2012

This place offers relatively good location, balcony in the room with ocean view, short walk to Fira Center, descent breakfast. However, the room size is small and cluttered, most doors don't work well, shower splashes the entire bathroom, toilet and toilet rolls, and this problem could easily be resolved with a simple shower curtain. Staff did not offer much information, including basic and practical info for first time visitors to Santorini, unless one asks very specifically. Shuttle service was very helpful and prompt.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2012 via mobile

For a 35 euro a night this place was great. Not only did Yanni provide us with an electrical adaptor. He gave us free espressos and made us a breakfast to take on our early departure. This is where Yanni went above and beyond. Due our early flight we had to leave at 545. At 540 the Yanni's bus was waiting. Keep in mid this was included in the 35 euro. It can't be beat. The rooms were small and it was a 15 minute walk to central Fira but the value and service were amazing. Thanks again.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 20 December 2011

The hotel is just a short walk from the central part of town. Which was very nice, the walk along the caldera edge was very nice. The rooms where not super clean, but not too bad. The cleaners like to smoke while they clean your room (not fun for non-smokers). The breakfast was nice, and they where well organized. A good budget hotel.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the pool side, less road noise.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Peter K
Reviewed 15 November 2011

When strikes occured, the staff worked to help us not be hindered by the strikes, especially the ferry strikes. Our trip turned out well due to their efforts. This is a caring staff. Many thanks to them.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 September 2011

This hotel was very nice. Although the rooms were a little small, I think they were pretty standard for european standards. The hotel was about 10 minutes walk from the downtown area and had a great view. The breakfast was excellent and staff was very friendly. I would stay here again! Also, free wifi, but some times had to be ouside of the room to get the best signal.

• Stayed: June 2011