“Postcard worthy views!”

Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Firostefani
Dallas, Texas
“Postcard worthy views!”
Reviewed 21 August 2012

My husband and I recently visited Santorini and opted to stay just outsıde Fıra at thıs gem of a hotel. When we booked on bookıng.com the descrıptıon read 'room wıth caldera vıew' and we were really excıted however the vıew from our room was of the pool and deck. Apparently the upper floor rooms wıth actual vıews are 'superıor' rooms, somethıng to keep ın mınd when bookıng ıf openıng your wındow to the caldera vıew ıs what you are lookıng for. Nonetheless, just a few steps across the deck/pool were the most magnıfıcent vıews of the calderas, the best ın my opınıon. Watchıng the sunset from thıs spot ıs magıcal. Paulıne and George were very helpful and gracıous hosts. Breakfast was standard wıth some lovely quıches and the locatıon was perfect. Just a short, lovely walk along the clıff sıde to Fıra. If you are lookıng for accomodatıon ın Santorını, look no further than Vılla Ilıas.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed 10 August 2012

We stayed here in July 2012 for 4 nights. We got the exclusive room with caldera view. We had the entire top floor. Granted the room itself was tiny, but we had the entire rooftop terrace to ourselves complete with chairs and a table and lounge chairs. We loved the privacy of it and having 360 degree views was awesome! We ended up using our kitchenette quite a bit (soda, beer, wine, appetizers in the fridge) so it was definitely a bonus to have! The staff was so kind and generous! They were helpful with everything we asked of them. We had an early flight the day we checked out and they even offered to make us something special to eat and bring it to our room before we left at 5am!
The pool area is small, but the hotel only has about 16 rooms and in our experience most people didn't just lounge around the pool all day everyday so there were a number of times it was just my husband and I at the pool alone.
The location of the hotel is fantastic! It is so quiet and peaceful. There are a number of hotels and restaurants located nearby, but if you walk about 15 minutes into Fira you have tons of options. So glad we stayed in Firostefani and walked into Fira!
We loved our stay here! Would do it again!

Room Tip: We got the exclusive room with caldera view. We had the entire top floor. Granted the room itself...
Hugo, Minnesota
Reviewed 4 August 2012

My wife and I stayed 3 nights the third week in June and had a wonderful experience. Pauline and George were great hosts: friendly, helpful, and personable. The Villa Ilias is a small, cozy, family run place with spectacular views of the caldera. I read the many positive reviews before we left on our trip to Greece, and I can confirm that they are accurate. Do not expect the amenities and square footage of a 5 star Marriott or Hilton, but that is not what you are here for. I am 6' 5" so the shower was not exactly roomy, but I would not trade this place for a chain hotel. The location is perfect because you are away from the hustle and bustle of Fira, and the tourists from cruise ships who frequently crowd the streets in Fira. If you are arriving by cruise ship, note that you will likely not want to be tendered to the port which has the donkeys and cable cars. That port is for passengers who are only getting off for the 3-4 hour excursion and then returning. to ship. Overnighters with luggage are tendered to another port where vans are available for taking you to your hotel. George arranged a pickup for us, so when we got off the tender, a van driver was waiting there with a sign that had my name on it. George also arranged a van driver to take us to the airport for a short flight to Athens. There is a fee for this, but it was reasonalbe.

Room Tip: The best views are from the 2nd or 3rd floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Zamboanga City, Philippines
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Villa Ilias was a great choice for me and my husband. Our 3 nights stay was wonderful thanks to Pauline & George who were very gracious hosts. The room was clean and comfortable, the breakfasts are yummy, the view is fantastic and the location is perfect. They also went the extra mile with the complementary bottle of wine, chocolate & biscuits! Thank you Villa Ilias!

Berlin, Connecticut
Reviewed 1 August 2012

I am well-traveled and I must say that this is the place to stay in Santorini, Greece! The innkeepers value their guests and do everything to make their stay pleasurable. The rooms are very clean and comfortable. Bathroom facilities are great and the water pressure in the shower is fantastic. Towels are changed daily and they provide soap, shampoo, conditioner, etc. Breakfast is divine with eggs, two homemade items such as potato pie, cheese pie, spinach pie, etc., homemade breads (brown, too.), rice pudding, an array of juices and fresh fruit, freshly brewed coffee, Greek yogurt and honey, etc., etc. Each day there is a new breakfast entry surprise. The villa has a good WiFi connection. The innkeepers mentioned that they have a webcam and communicated that if I stood by the pool, they can adjust it so that my family could log into their website and I could wave to them. It was fabulous! I waved to my family from Santorini. It was so much fun. The room has A/C although at night, we would often sleep with the windows open as the breeze from ocean was absolutely amazing at the Villa Ilias. In general, the evening breeze in Santorini envelopes your entire body in the most delightful way especially after a unusually warm day. My friend and I stayed in Room 11 - with double beds. I thought it was the best room in the entire villa as the view from that room was spectacular! There is a table with two chairs on the terrace where we would sit each afternoon and after dinner in the evening. The view was of the Caldera. When you look at photographs of Santorini, you can't help but to awe at the little white and blue buildings and church domes. This was our view. I almost started crying when I initially saw it. The pool is right down a staircase near the room. After a warm day exploring the Fira and Oui, we would get back to the villa, change into our bath suits and go down the staircase and enjoy the pool. It was delightful.

I urge you to stay at Villa Ilias. It is more than a perfect place to stay. The innkeepers are delightful and so committed to making their guests have a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Room 11 with double beds was spectacular!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Zhashie
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Santorini is my favorite place on earth - this was my third visit to the island. Villa Ilias provides one of the best views on this best island. The hotel is in a wonderful high location that provides a view of the entire caldera and much of the city. You do, however, make a small tradeoff staying here as the rooms are rather ordinary and very small. Nevertheless, we loved our stay here as we spent most of our time on the rooftop veranda that was part of our exclusive room. I would highly recommend trying to get this room as the view is the best and the privacy is absolute. You get the identical view as the hotel's webcam since the webcam is attached to the veranda. George and Pauline were fantastic hosts and were very helpful in guiding us to great restaurants (try Vanilia and Capari). The hotel is in a quiet area in FiroStefani and is about a 15 minute walk to the main area of Fira (warning - wear good walking shoes to get to town as the cobblestones are tough). Breakfasts were wonderful on their small outdoor terrace. The hotel itself is rather old and is one of the original buildings in the area (George's family lived in the building for many years). We had a great time, especially sitting on the veranda. The poolside rooms offer much less privacy so I would recommend upgrading to the exclusive rooms. The hotel is a great value based on price.

Room Tip: The exclusive room with the rooftop veranda is the best room in the house.
Reviewed 22 July 2012 via mobile

Kiwis On Tour
We stayed at Villa Ilias in Santorini during our recent visit to Greece during our whirlwind adventure to Europe. From the moment we arrived to a welcome beside the pool with complementary beer and nuts, and that magnificent view, our stay was exceptional. Our room was fantastic as was the breakfast and our hosts. We would highly recommend Villa Ilias to all. +++

PS. Santorini was the most welcoming place that we have stayed in throughout our recent visit to the UK and Europe. These guys know how to treat their visitors. Like Villa Ilias, we would highly recommend Santorini (Ferostefani) as a magical and welcoming place to visit. ++++

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Firostefani
Blue Dolphins Traditional Apartments
Aressana Spa Hotel and Suites
Pegasus Suites & Spa
Pegasus Suites & Spa
#14 of 48 in Imerovigli

Been to Villa Ilias Caldera Hotel? Share your experiences!