Villa Ilias made for a wonderful stay on Santorini. The location is perfect, direct access to the main road, and right on the foot path to Fira and Oia (no steps!). It is located in Firostefani, a small town with a little grocery and a handful of good restaurants. Fira, a big tourist town with many shops and restaurants, is an easy 10 minute walk. Villa Ilias is right where you want to be, but away from the crowds. Oia is a beautiful 3 hour hike to the north, or an easy bus ride. The bus station is just a few blocks from the hotel.
The staff really made our stay enjoyable. They were so welcoming and helpful. They helped us plan our itinerary, gave us a copy of all the bus schedules, rented a car for us (40 euro, with baby seats, much cheaper than a tourist company), and even ordered us gyro delivery to our room one night when the kids went down early. We were two adults, a 2 year old, and a baby. We had booked a triple, but they upgraded us to two doubles, one with a balcony, and provided a baby bed. The view from our balcony was amazing!! Breakfast was really good, homemade breakfast pies and breads, yogurt, fruit, sliced meat and cheese, cereal, boiled eggs. The rooms were very clean. The shower was small and poorly designed, and got water all over the bathroom floor, but overall the rooms were comfortable. They all had a nice wardrobe, safe, refrigerator, and a few dishes and wine glasses that we used while enjoying the views from our balcony and by the pool.
Santorini was beautiful! We spent a little time in Fira, and hiked to Oia, and took the bus to Oia a different day to see the sunset. We rented a car one day to go to the south part of the island to see the ruins, visit the red and black beaches, and stop by a winery. We were there at the end of April, which is a great time to go if you want to avoid the heat and crowds (but Fira did get a little crazy on the mornings when a cruise ship was docked). It was warm, though not warm enough to swim. It was windy, and I hear it is windy all year round, so take a jacket for evenings.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Damigos family has been a part of Santorini history for over a century. Villa Ilias is the former residence of one of our ancestors, George Ilias Damigos. It is built on this specific location to capture breathtaking views that are unique only to Villa Ilias and perched 1,000 feet above the Aegean Sea and the most famous volcano in the world. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Villa Ilias Caldera Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Ilias Hotel Firostefani
- Ilias Hotel Firostefani
- Villa Ilias Caldera Hotel Santorini/Firostefani