“Awesome location and view” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sunset Hotel

Sunset Hotel
Ranked #7 of 15 Firostefani B&B and Inns
Fitchburg, Wisconsin
“Awesome location and view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

This hotel is a gem. All the rooms face the sea and sunsets.The view from the rooms and patio is simply breathtaking. It's located just a short walk from all the action in Fira in the heart of Firostephani yet it was always so peaceful out on the patio. We booked three rooms with two beds each and they were all nice. One of the bathrooms could use a facelift and one of the beds (in a room that also had a double bed) was more like a cot, but otherwise they were very clean we were happy with the rooms. It took us a while to get checked in because we arrived mid-morning well before check in time. We were glad they wanted to make sure our rooms were clean and didn't rush it, but still let us check in early. Meanwhile we relaxed on the patio and explored a little and found a great coffee shop behind the hotel that had beer on tap and homemade pastries and a fun vibe. We added that to our home base. The hotel breakfast was really nice. We loved the yogurt and honey, toast and cheese, and chocolate on cake. Nick or Maria brought us coffees out on the patio every morning before we sat down to breakfast. We spent time in the hot tub (really more of a warm tub) and lobby/bar area and enjoyed both immensely. We explored the walkways along the cliffs down to Fira and up to Imerovigli. We had a wonderful stay and would definitely stay there again if we are ever blessed and lucky enough to be on Santorini again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Greek first
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

My husband, 5 year old son and I recently spent 5 nights at the Sunset Hotel. We found everything to be pretty terrific about this place and considered it to be very well priced. The views are of course fantastic. But there is a lot more to this hotel than just the views. Breakfast was great, delivered within 5 minutes each morning to our choice of location (room, caldera table or private caldera balcony table) by the ever-present Maria. It was an ample breakfast consisting of a bowl of yoghurt with honey, toast, selection of toppings, cake, coffee/tea, juice, egg, and hot chocolate for my son. The rooms were spotless and I felt completely comfortable using the supplied plates and cutlery in our small kitchenette, whereas that has not always been the case in many other pensions/hotels we have stayed in on our travels. It's because I know nothing is left unwashed by Maria :-). The room (room 13) was a generous size for 3 people. The bathroom was renovated, neat and spotless. Yes, the bathrooms are small but this is Greece and Santorini hasn't always had its own supply of water so I don't expect large bathrooms in the islands. The location was good. Far enough from the nightlife of Fira but close enough for my son to walk to Fira often. Thank you Nek for organising our taxi on the last day - we managed to catch one in the square before you arrived. A great little hotel at a very fair rate considering that view - highly recommended

Room Tip: All rooms open onto the caldera. Our room (13) was spacious and quiet. There was always plenty of...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Caroline C
Colchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

If you are going to stay in this hotel, be prepared to live as if in a desert. First, the reception staff is very rarely present at the location; when we arrived, we had to wait for an hour before we could check in.
Second, the shower is the worst I've ever seen in my entire life (and I've lived in many two or three-starred hotels): the water only worked for five minutes continuously, after which it would stop for at least twenty minutes- and don't be fooled by what the reception staff says, the water works fine in any other hotel besides Sunset Hotel. Once the water stopped for a whole hour while I was washing myself and, after waiting for a while, I went to the reception staff covered in soap complaining about it. However, the staff was not bothered one bit by what I had said, which prompted me to cancel the rest of my stay and move to a better hotel. Furthermore, the shower head was broken so that when taking a shower water would be splashing from everywhere; replacing it should have been an easy business ( I could have done it myself) but the hotel staff didn't bother and instead was only willing to offer us another room which, however, had two single beds. To top it off, the bathroom is incredibly small.
All in all, I found out myself that all the previous positive reviews were very misleading. Indeed, the view is beautiful but that does not compensate the horrible living conditions (given its price) and the staff which treated us with the least respect- I continuously had a feeling that they were saying to me "you should be grateful that we allow you to live in this beautiful place, do not bother us since there will always be someone else willing to take your room".

Room Tip: I agree with the previous reviewer from 8th of September: the rooms close to the check-in office are...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank MikeMarion15
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Sunset Hotel recently and we were disappointed. Of course the views were fantastic which we could see from the balcony from the hotel. However, the service was disappointing. Since there was no breakfast buffet you had to ask for your breakfast each morning which took over 25 minutes to get. When it did arrive it was very cheaply done with a cup of boxed orange juice, 1 hard boiled egg, yogurt and bread. The person who brought the breakfast also had an attitude which made you not want to ask in the first place! The water was continuously not working which was not a problem of the island but rather the hotel itself. The cost of the hotel was not reflected in the service. I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Try to stay in rooms further from the check in desk as they are bigger
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SnowboardManiac
The Hague, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

We, like many other reviewers, booked this to have a few days 'on the cheap side' after splurging on a wonderful hotel before this. We were pleasantly surprised by the amazing view and the opportunity to have breakfast looking over such a great view! The rooms are all on one level and not much walking required. The location is great and close to some shops if you need snacks, wine etc. The owner is friendly and happily organised a day trip with us and was patient with me and all my questions. The rooms left a little much to be desired (although the room we had was not a renovated one - from what we saw in the other rooms - they had a much nicer decor than ours - but nevertheless, the AC worked fine and the bed was comfortable). We would stay here again but try our luck with another room - but the staff, view, and price were excellent!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Firostefani, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

This is a wonderful boutique hotel, and only a few steps down from the top pathway. All rooms are on one level. The owner Nektarios is a happy, helpful and friendly host. The rooms are traditional and kept very clean as is the outside balcony where you can be served an amazing breakfast with stunning views of the caldera. Also a wonderful place to have a wine and watch the sunset each evening. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Firostefani.

Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank 613Heather6969
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013 via mobile

We booked this as it was one of the cheaper options on the Caldera rim but we were pleasantly surprised at how nice it was. Great view, nice rooms each with outside terrace seating, friendly staff and breakfast made to order. Location is good, only 10mins walk to Fira and 2 mins to bus stop to Oia. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2013