“OK accomadation, but could improve on some things”
Review of Hotel Rena

and 1 more site!
Hotel Rena
Ranked #21 of 39 Hotels in Perissa
Tottenham, United Kingdom
“OK accomadation, but could improve on some things”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

First of all I just want to say that we had a lovely 2 week holiday in Perissa staying at Hotel Rena, but I do feel like there are a couple of points that they could improve on.

Our room was quite small on the first floor but wasn't that upset as we didn't plan to stay in our room too much. It was cleaned every day, but I feel that sometimes it could have had a bit of a deeper clean i.e wipe the sinks, taps and mirrors more often, clean the floor thoroughly. Also the smell coming up from the drains was quite bad on a daily basis. In the entire 2 week holiday our bed sheets where not changed once. Apart from that though we did appreciate the cleaning service. Also our mattress was extremely hard, me and my partner both have back problems so we were in quite a lot of pain trying to get to sleep.

Breakfast was quite a stressful experience. The first week was ok, as it was quieter but the choices are very limited. I'm vegetarian and don't eat eggs so the only thing I could really eat was toast with Jam. Some of the containers to hold the food for breakfast where quite messy and had flies buzzing around them which put me off. The breakfast area is extremely cramped and with breakfast only being from 8am-10am most mornings it was packed all of the time. Also some of the other guests we encountered where quite rude and kept stealing our table, even though we'd already put our stuff down on it. I would suggest that they utilise the court yard area just outside and put some extra tables and seats out there for when it's busy, and also extend the breakfast times to make this less stressful. Another thing is that they seemed to play the same 5ish songs of very obscure music at breakfast (which included lots of wailing and sounds of a baby crying!) which for the first few days we thought was quite funny but by the second week I couldn't take any more of it and boycotted breakfast for the rest of my stay.

All in all this didn't ruin my stay there, but I think sometimes the finer details are important!

A plus point is the location, it's very close to the beach so not much walking involved to get there, and also there where no steps or steep hills to navigate around which is great for people with mobility issues.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sophie O

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Brighouse, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

What a fantastic family hotel. This was our 7th visit to this hotel and we have never been disappointed. The rooms are clean, with the rooms serviced daily and towels replaced daily as well. The breakfast goes along the lines of most Greek breakfasts with bread, jams, marmalades, fresh fruit, yoghurt and honey and scrambled eggs EVERY DAY!!! The pool is kept clean and Jacob runs a very tight ship with the staff to provide a welcoming, friendly, professional and hilarious environment. He is a true star as always and this year is ably assisted by Kiki behind the bar when he has other duties. Of you stay here you will not be disappointed and any small niggles you may have will be quickly resolved by Jacob if you just ask. About a three minute walk from the beach if you turn left out of the hotel then left again to the front. The beech is black sand and gets very hot – lovely. The Hotel family also run the Waves bar, turn left at the beach and go for about 5 minutes. The food here is not your run of the mill standard Greek fare, although they do all the usual’s, mainly cooked to perfection by Mama Rena but a lot of specialities as well such as savoury crepes and burgers and a great fry up for breakfast if you can pull yourself away from eating breakfast by the pool. Just try Mama’s moussaka!! And you can get a 10% discount at Waves when staying at the Hotel. They also have a Greek night every Friday and a lot of the locals come to this proving how good it is and you can get to know a lot of the locals this way and they love it when you engage them The hotel also has a good lunch menu again try the club sandwich it’s great. The hotel also runs a Greek BBQ each Sunday night and this is well worth the money, with a Greek Salad starter, Pork and Chicken Souvlaki and many additional bits and pieces provided by Mama with free wine thrown in. All in all we love this place and are already looking to re-book for the end of the year when the package holidays stop but commercial flights still operate. Hope any of you booking there will have as special a time as we always do.

Room Tip: Don't go package. Go through booking.com
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Chris H
sussex
Reviewed 10 July 2014

First off,i would like to say that me and my wife have been to some great places around the world,stayed in some 5 star hotels,but........ NOTHING beats this place!!! The welcome you get from Marios,his mother,the staff at his hotel and at waves beach bar is by far the best we have ever had!!The rooms are basic,but have everything you need.The hotel is spotless(unlike one i could mention),breakfast has just what you need,staff amazing,where do i stop? As i said earlier,i cant say i would ever go back to the stuffy,look at me,im better than you,5 star rubbish again after this.It was great!! Try it,your be surprised!!As for perissa,well,it has a strip along the front,about a third of a mile long.Great tavernas and of course waves which is by far the best beach bar along there. On the main road you have a few tavernas and a couple of bars which were cheaper.But,we stuck to the seafront as it was better quality food and drinks.Acropolis being our favourite for food and very traditional.Buses brilliant! Every 20 mins and air conditioned coaches.Not like the crap we get in England!!Went up to oia for day.Beware,good in morning but packed come 12 by Chinese tourists who wont get out the way for love nor money!!!! Overall,one of the best holidays ever and we've booked allready to return next year

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank luvsunSussex
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Very good location for beach holiday & for quiet relax! Family hotel with nice territory & pleasent rooms. We had room with balcony - very clean! Simple breakfast but fresh. Carefull staff. You feel as at home:) My mother & I are very thankful KUBA)))!!!!! for his help for interesting trip to Lighthouse, Wine shop & monastery.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Valentina L
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This is the third time (2007,2010 and this year,2014) that we have stayed at the Hotel Rena.As,you can imagine,we enjoyed our stay,after being there three times,but I now feel it is time to move on.Santorini is changing,like so many of the other greek islands,from the last time we went there.Although I have no gripe with the hotel,or with Jacob,the manager and Marios the owner,who provide an excellent service to their guests and who always supply a warm and friendly smile (go to Mario`s Waves bar on the Perrisa seafront - as well as owning the hotel,with his parents,he owns this bar and they have a greek traditional music night on Fridays where a lot of the locals come and dance) the problems lie elsewhere.1 - timing is of the essence if you want to go to Thera town or Oia.The best time is about three 3pm in the afternoon,otherwise you will be swamped by,not hundreds,but thousands of Chinese tourists, who are the most ignorant tourists of them all.They will not give way to you and will hold up the progress of other tourists by taking photo`s of one another and then not acknowledging that they have held you up. 2 - be careful where you hire a car.Avoid Romani car hire by the big church in Perrisa.They will hire you a car and thourougly check it out when you return - the slightest mark and they will demand an insurance excess of 300 euros.I hired a car from them between May 28th and June 9th, this year (2014).They Greeks are supposed to drive on the right hand side of the road but,in reality,drive down the middle.A large lorry forced me in to overgown bushes on the side of a minor road and left marks down the side of the vehicle,enhanced because of a recent sandstorm that covered the vehicle and made the damage seem much worse.However,a wet finger down the side of the vehicle eliminated the marks and I thought no more of it.When I returned the car,they said they would have to respray it,which was out and out lies (It only needed a polish and I did have full insurance) but they said I had to pay the excess.I left the island without paying,thinking,conning bastards. but was amazed to find out three days later that they had debited my pin enabled debit card,without my being there,for 300 euros.Apart from these EEN Romanians, we had a very pleasant holiday.You will enjoy but, heed my warnings,it could spoil it for you.We flew with Thomson and Catherine,the resident rep,was a real little angel.Some of the rooms are nice and big ,but others are terribly cramped (In the main Hotel,that is.)
I can only walk with the aid of a walking stick but ended up on the second floor in a room that you
had to go outside to change your mind.Dissapointing in that respect but,unless you whinge and complain,,that is what you get.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Michael W
East Sussex
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We have just returned from our third visit to the Hotel Rena. What a great hotel this is. Close to the beach and to the tavernas and restaurants, although in a quiet location with no passing traffic. The pool area is good with plenty of sunbeds and a really friendly pool bar, and this year with the very welcome return of the lovely Jacob and with great cocktails from Kiki too. The breakfast, which was previously the only disappointment of our stays, has improved vastly with Greek yogurt and honey, fresh fruit, scrambled egg and fresh tomatoes.

We said this would be our last trip to Perissa but just love the place with its friendly atmosphere, so will definitely return again and definitely stay at the Hotel Rena.

Room Tip: We have only ever stayed in the main part of the Hotel, but have been told that the rooms in the nea...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank EastSussexSuzy
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I have visited Perissa in Santorini regularly over the years along with my mam. I have to say that the Rena was my favourite stay out of them all. The rooms were basic but very clean, with fresh towels given daily. The pool area was clean and very pleasant. Breakfast was basic but the scrambled eggs were delicious. The staff were lovely Jacob and KiKi were good fun by the pool. The locality of the hotel means the beach, bars and restaurants are all in close proximity. Also to note located close to the hotel is a little boat taxi which runs every half an hour and takes you to Kamari and vice versa. This was a nice day out and a chance to experience the busier part of the Island.

Room Tip: All rooms are adequate.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank Rosina H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Perissa
Marianna Hotel
#11 of 39 in Perissa
Anny Studios
Anny Studios
#31 of 39 in Perissa

Been to Hotel Rena? Share your experiences!