“time of year matters on Rhodes”
Review of Orion Hotel

Orion Hotel
Ranked #21 of 71 Hotels in Faliraki
Perth, Australia
“time of year matters on Rhodes”
Reviewed 16 November 2012

I got what I paid for is the best I can say. The room was spacious and included a kitchenette. The hot water was not reliable but as it was high 30’s when I stayed there I didn’t mind luke warm showers.

I had a single room which included 2 single beds. The beds were hard as concrete so I stacked mattress on top of mattress. This was ok but if I was staying longer I’d have asked to be moved. Housekeeping seems to be spasmodic or every 3 days. I don’t find that acceptable, however as I paid 20 Euro or thereabouts per night I guess I got what I paid for.

The airconditioning did not work for my entire stay which made for difficulty sleeping (including the concrete beds).

The swimming pool area looked fabulous and there was plenty of lounges around the pool. There is a lovely bar next to the pool where you can have breakfast, drink or a meal. Service was excellent.

Zoe looks after the restaurant at the front of the hotel and she’s a lovely friendly lady who is eager to be of assistance to you. I cannot fault the service from her or the lady at the bar. The food I ate there was great.

There is a lift to the rooms as well as stairs which I found very helpful so thats a consideration for travellers who don’t like to use stairs.

Martin the manager was very pleasant and helpful. The location in Faliraki was not too bad. The bus stop into Rodos was a 5 min walk away. Bus stop to Lindos was about 10 minutes away.

I’d not stay in Rhodes when it is not peak season or perhaps not stay in Faliraki – not sure which is more appropriate. I found much of Faliraki closed because “it was not the season”. So for that reason I’d suggest staying in Rodos where there is plenty of action, shops, cafe’s etc. Businesses tend to close down in the off season which is when I travelled.

Overall the Orion and so many restaurants and hotels cater to the English market.This is where they get the majority of their business. I found you could get chips with every meal including breakfast. Getting a typically greek experience was fraught with difficulty but I managed due to my persistence.

Room Tip: Only visit Rhodes when it's northern summer but if you must travel during the southern hemispher...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Leisa53
Mark W, Front Office Manager at Orion Hotel, responded to this review, 17 November 2012
We are sorry to hear you were disappointed with your stay. I'll deal with your comments about the time of year and the resort first, then with the matters you raise about the hotel.

You are quite correct to observe that Faliraki is largely closed by mid-October when you spent four nights with us. Whilst we would be delighted if the season lasted beyond the peak months of June to September it is a sad fact that the tour operators and airlines effectively close us down prematurely against our wishes. It is something the tourist industry and authorities here on the island are constantly trying to remedy – as there is a demand for holidays here, especially by our northern European friends who enjoy the relatively warm and sunny weather we enjoy in spring and autumn and appreciate the calm and tranquillity compared to the bustling summer months. Whilst there is a demand-led offering of fast-food and “chips with everything” we can assure visitors that delicious authentic Greek cuisine is available – even in October – both in Faliraki and the nearby village of Kalithies. In fact our own Orion Restaurant offers a wide menu of authentic Greek food home-made on the premises, (chips are an option – but local vegetable choices are always available). This October we were pleased to see a larger number than in recent years of Faliraki shops, bars, restaurants and tavernas remaining open right through until early November to offer visitors a choice. All our guests need to do is ASK us for what they seek and we will be able to direct them appropriately!
You are quite correct in pointing out the close proximity of the bus stop to Rodos (Rhodes Town), but we are perplexed that you state the bus stop to Lindos is twice as far away – they are both within a 5 minute stroll of the hotel and opposite each other – on both the main road and coastal road routes. Rhodes Town is easily accessible from Faliraki, and does offer so much to see and do partly as it is densely populated, and also as the cruise ships, unlike the airlines, continue to visit throughout the year keeping more of the bars and restaurants open in the historic old town. However most bars, restaurants and hotels in Rhodes Town are noticeably more expensive than in Faliraki, another good reason why so many guests find Faliraki an ideal base from which to explore – with the best beaches on the island as a bonus!

We are concerned to hear you were not happy with your room. It was indeed “good value” as we gave you a free upgrade from the basic single-occupancy twin room you had booked and paid 17€ per night for to one of our studios overlooking the pool with a large balcony. We clearly state that air-conditioning is included in our prices from June to September. If you had told us you required it during the cooler month of October we could have ensured you had a room with air-conditioning (at extra cost in early and late season as it is not included in the prices). We accept that our internally sprung mattresses are “firm” - they meet the tastes of most of our European guests. However, if you had advised us that you found your bed uncomfortable we would have been pleased to remedy the situation for you. We are sorry that you found the housekeeping lacking: our housekeeper did in fact visit your room each day Tuesday to Friday of your stay (our housekeeping service is daily except Sundays to empty bins, sweep and replace towels as necessary, with a change of bedlinen twice weekly – not applicable to your stay as you left on the fourth morning). We are also sorry you encountered a lack of hot water. The solar heating was working well during your stay, thanks to the wonderful weather. However, due the the few guests staying in the hotel in mid-October the water usage is limited, meaning the water frequently has a long journey from the hot water storage tanks to the room requiring it – had you asked we would have advised a little patience to allow more time for hot water to flow to your room.

I am delighted you enjoyed the friendliness of Zoe in the Orion Restaurant and Maria in the Pool Bar & Café, I will make sure they know!

We hope you enjoyed your onward journey and the remainder of your holiday in Europe. We enjoyed your company!

We hope to welcome you again in the future; maybe you would prefer coming during the high season when you would find Faliraki buzzing and vibrant? We would naturally seek to ensure you will sleep comfortably and have plenty of hot water – and the air-conditioning would be on and included in your room rate!

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2012

We have had association with this hotel and restaurant for over twelve years now. The family which run it are brilliant and nothing is too much trouble for them. The food and service is second to none. I am sure that even if you just go for a meal you will not be disappointed. The prices are very reasonable as well.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lorraine T
Mark W, Front Office Manager at Orion Hotel, responded to this review, 6 November 2012
Thank you for your great review! I will let Polichronis and the family know what you have to say - although I'm sure they're already aware. I will also make sure that Kyriakos and Zoe in the Orion Restaurant along with George and Maria in the Pool Bar & Café are also aware of your praise for the fod and service.
We are fortunate to welcome back many guests like you to both the hotel and restaurant year after year, with the line between family and friends becoming blurred!
Whilst our old friends naturally receive the warmest of welcomes when they return we are pleased to welcome new guests from all over Europe each year - many of whom join our long list of returning friends. Visiting the Orion on the beautiful island of Rhodes should really carry a warning - you'll want to come back again and again!
Thank you.
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 17 October 2012

We booked this hotel because it was the cheapest for our dates. So we expected that it would be not very good. But wasn't true. The hotel isn't new, but rooms are convinient and clean. We were in the hottest time of the year and air-conditions worked well.
The hotel has good location - the beach is 5 minut away.
There are a couple of shops near the hotel - we bought there fruits and water.
We took HB and it always was enough food for breakfest and choise from two dishes of the day in the evening. Drinks during the supper are inexpensive.

Room Tip: Don't take the ground floor - the balconies on it very close to the swimmingpool.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank fortuna7-7-7
Mark W, Front Office Manager at Orion Hotel, responded to this review, 18 October 2012
We are delighted that you enjoyed your holiday staying at the Orion and feel confident to recommend us. Your Room Tip is valuable to future guests - some prefer a pool view but for a more peaceful and private experience our garden view studios are a better choice.
Thank you for complimenting our restaurant - I will pass on your comments to Kyriakos, Zoe and the team. We are glad you appreciated our fair pricing on drinks - we offer quality drinks in both the restaurant and pool bar at lower prices than will be found elsewhere in bars in Faliraki.
We hope to see you again soon!
Kurgan, Russia
Reviewed 20 September 2012

My boyfriend and I were in this hotel in the August ( 19-30). It was an excellent time! The hotel is very god, there is the family atmosphere here. All the peoples who job in Orion are very careful and friendly! The room was always clean up. I miss this hotel and Greece. Orion is always in my hurt and soul! I want to go back in Orion!
Paul, Marc and Maria, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marina M
Mark W, Front Office Manager at Orion Hotel, responded to this review, 21 September 2012
Marina, thank you for writing a review of your stay at the Orion.
We are delighted that you and your boyfriend enjoyed your stay with us - we enjoyed looking after you!
I will pass on your compliments to our housekeepers, and to Paul & Maria.
We hope to see you again soon!
Bratislava, Slovakia
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Thank you for great holiday. Everything was clean, staff was great and realy friendly and your food was also very good. Pool was clean, very nice location near the center. We had a really wondrefull in Faliraki. I hope we will come back. Greetings from Slovakia

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank regasova_miska
Mark W, Front Office Manager at Orion Hotel, responded to this review, 6 September 2012
Thank you for a great review. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Greetings to Slovakia from all the Papageorgiou family and staff at the Orion!
swanage, dorset
Reviewed 2 September 2012

My family stayed in the apartments for 2 weeks from August 08th 2012. We found everything here fantastic from the staff in the Bar, the cleaners, the Resturant food and not forgetting the Reception Staff. Everyone was helpful, friendly, polite and accomodating. The food in the Bar was fantastic and so was the Resturant, which also gave a discount of 10% to us as we were staying in the apartments. The hotel is a 10 min walk to the beautiful sandy beach and about a 10 minute walk to the centre of town. It is in a fantastic location and everything is so clean. The pool is amazing and you can actually use it until midnight!! and not an ear infection in sight. We had a fantastic time and were really looked after by Mark the Manager when our son broke his hand! Thank you all so much for making our holiday so great. We will come and see you again...soon we hope.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank dawnmorgan
Mark W, Manager at Orion Hotel, responded to this review, 4 September 2012
It was a delight to look after you and your family - your enjoyment of life and your holiday simply shone as brightly as the Faliraki sunshine!
I hope your son's plaster is still in one piece and that his hand recovers well.
Thanks for the great review - I will make sure to let everyone know your appreciation.
We are missing you, so make sure your return is soon!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2012 via mobile

Nice location from center ,clean room,friendly staff good food ....Very big pool and jakuzi ....The room is big and balconies nice view in the pool ...!thx for a good holidays. .I. Will be back soon ...

Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Howard W
Mark W, Front Office Manager at Orion Hotel, responded to this review, 4 September 2012
Thanks for the great review! We're glad you enjoyed your holiday with us and look forward to seeing you again soon!