“Good hotel in Faliraki”

Ranked #20 of 71 Hotels in Faliraki
La Louvière
“Good hotel in Faliraki”
Reviewed 13 June 2013

We chose this hotel for the low price and because it was not too far from the beach, and in a city not too far from Rhodes: it was a quite good choice! Of course, for that kind of price, you cannot expect perfection, but the stay was overall pleasant.
Positive: warm welcome, room clean, free air conditioning, fridge, nice pool (very clean! a bit cold in June surprisingly) with free chairs, 3 minutes from the beach by foot, very close to Faliraki center, easy access to Rhodes by bus.
Negative: fridge very noisy, we had to remove the fridge plug during the night, idem for air conditioning, the room was so hot at night, eventhough it was quite cold outside...and when we chose to open the balcony door, that's when we got attacked by mosquitos! The shower is "open" and the whole bathroom becomes wet when taking a shower.
Anyway, I think this hotel is a good deal if you are looking for fair price and good situation in Rhodes near the beach.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Mark W, Front Office Manager at Orion Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2013
I am delighted you enjoyed your stay, thank you for recommending the Orion!
I am sorry you had a problem with a noisy fridge, and that it appears your air-conditioning was not effective - I wish you had told me straight away - I would have had the fridge replaced and the aircon fixed! Unfortunately we had a very wet winter in Rhodes, which has led to even more mosquitoes than normal!
Thank you for highlighting our good location close to Faliraki's fabulous beach, and the ease of travelling to Rhodes town with it's wealth of history, architecture and shopping.
We plan to refurbish thew budget rooms in which you stayed next winter, (As you point out, they have the traditional Greek "wet-room" open showers - all our studios have enclosure with curtains). We will consider you comments when planning the work.
We hope to see you again son, and will do all we can to ensure your stay is even better.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

Vacationing in May of 2013. Very nice hotel. I was a child 2.5 years 7 days. I personally met the owner of the hotel. When I left, the owner personally escorted me. He did everything to make me feel at home. I thought that I just have to visit their relatives. The staff is very friendly and caring. Be sure to come back again. Victoria. Russia

• Stayed May 2013
Mark W, Front Office Manager at Orion Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review.
I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed on your thanks to Polichrionis (Papa Polis - the owner).
We hope to see you again soon!
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2013

WE have known this family for over 20 years and the hospitality has never varied.We have stayed at the Orion every year for the past 10+ years and still get excited about seeing everyone as it is more like visiting family.All of them cannot do enough for the guests and if you are ill on your holiday there is no need to worry,cos Maria George and Paul are fantastic.It is a very clean hotel ,food is great and Charlie and Zoe in the restaurant are brilliant and will make you anything you want .(within reason) I can recommend this hotel to everyone and now 3 generations of our family have visited and loved it

Room Tip: If you go to bed early and like the quiet don't pick a room overlooking the pool
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank chrisocon999
Mark W, Front Office Manager at Orion Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2013
Thank you for your very kind review.
The great value of your comments is that they are based on many years of knowing the family and staying at the Orion - I am sure this will be of interest and will be informative for potential new guests wondering where to stay in Rhodes! The climate, beauty and history of Rhodes cannot be disputed, but choosing the "right" hotel can make or break a holiday. This is where I feel Tripadvisor is of so much value - it helps travellers find a hotel which meets their personal mix of requirements in a way brochures, star rating and price alone cannot.
It has been my pleasure to get to know you and your husband in the three years since I joined the Papageorgiou family here at the Orion. Your love of the Orion and the three generations of the family running the hotel says it all! Their kindness and personal attention to guests makes this hotel very special, not only for the guests, but for those of us working here too - leading to a lovely friendly atmosphere for all.
I will let Maria, George and Paul in the Cocktail Pool Bar & Café along with Kyriakos (Charlie) and Zoe in the Orion Restaurant know about your kind words!
Along with all the family I look forward to seeing you again soon... only 3 months to go!
Thank you, again, for taking the time to tell the world what you think of the Orion Hotel.
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2013

My friend and I went out to Falaraki, Greece to work and decided it wasnt for us we therefore had to find a hotel for a week at very short notice. We booked into the orion hotel and wasnt expecting anything special.
We were greeted on arrival by a very friendly man (i think he owns the hotel) he helped us out a lot and took us to our room, which to our suprise was very clean, with a massive balcony and nice bathroom.
The hotel was great value for money we couldnt believe how cheap it was, its very central to the Falaraki nightlife (if you can call it that) and the pool and bar area is also very pleasent.

Our only criticism is the pool bar drinks are a little over priced and you have no choice but to buy from there as you arent allowed to bring your own food or drink in. (although the full english breakfast from the pool bar was very nice :)

I would recoomend this hotel to young couples/families or even groups of friends coming in peak season

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Mark W, Front Office Manager at Orion Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2013
Hi Ladies,
It was our pleasure to look after you and let you have a short "holiday" after you found the work you came for working in one of Faliraki's bars was not right for you.
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us - I will pass on your compliments about the cleanliness to your housekeeper Maria!
I was a little surprised you thought our pool bar prices were expensive. May I try to explain? Whilst drinks can be purchased at supermarkets at lower prices (here as in the UK and elsewhere) the supermarkets do not contribute to the high running costs of operating a large pool, childrens pool and free jacuzzi along with offering free sunbeds and parasols! Generally our guests appreciate that the quality drinks we sell are at a fair prices - much lower than the prices for quality drinks and recognised international brands in most of the bars and nightclubs! Just as in the UK and throughout Europe, the price of food and drink in cafés, restaurants and bars is higher than purchasing the same thing from a supermarket and consuming it at home - this is to cover the overheads of providing the facilities and service, combined with the purchasing power and lower cost prices of high volumes which the supermarkets enjoy.
Thank you for saying you will recommend us! We are already nearly full for the high season this year, so please tell your friends they can enjoy the same low prices this October and April/May next year!
I hope to see you again - next time for a planned holiday!
Mark.
PS: I do not own the hotel - it is owned and operated by three generations of the Papageorgiou family - I'm just lucky to be the adopted Yorkshireman who enjoys working here! :)
Notodden, Norway
Reviewed 6 May 2013

The main reason why I chose the Orion was the pool area, which looked really nice. And so it was! Even better than expected. In addition, after spending one week beg. May 2013, I now have plenty of reasons to choose Orion again, and to recommend it to anyone. Picture: Tears running down cheeks in the taxi after saying goodbye, well, it says something about how well everybody takes care of you – they open their arms (literally) and makes you feel very welcome.

Very good value for money:
Excellent service at all levels: everything is clean and proper, new towels every day, you can ask for/about everything, nice garden with beautiful roses, good atmosphere in the pool bar, really good food (souvlaki - perfect!). Pool is 20 m, clean & nice, perfect for swimming my 50 laps every morning. Maria in the pool bar takes care of you with her big smile and big heart, which has room for everybody. The rooms are like promised – not luxury, but big, spacious, clean, nice balcony. I do not think the beds were hard, but if you think so: just ask for some extra blankets to put under the sheets. The mosquitoes this time of year made my sleep quality not so good - but that was my own fault, opening doors, letting them in, and forgetting to bring my liniment against itching.

The location was perfect:
Quiet, not in the middle of all the nightlife action, but not far away either. Close to Supermarkets, snack bars, restaurants, buses. Very short walk to the beach, short walk to the main pub street and to Faliraki fishing harbor. For those wanting to take longer walks: appr. one hour along Kalithea road to the beautiful bays in Kalithea. Also appr. one hour to Anthony Quinn Bay, following a goat track over the mountain. A bay looking like paradise is waiting for you there, with rocks and pebbles, perfect for snorkeling. Just ask Mark at the reception (speaking well English since he comes from England!), he will explain how to get there. And every other question you may have, he will try to help you. Likewise with Paul – the owner – treats you like family, helping you with everything (like vinegar for mosquito bites…!)

Faliraki – beautiful place:
If you have heard negative rumors: forget it! Faliraki is great, perfect also if you want to hire car and discover Rhodes. A long, wonderful sandy beach, bays(rocks, pebbles, sand) within walking distance, beautiful fishing harbor, tavernas at the beach side, nice and helpful people everywhere. May is perfect if you want peace and quiet, but I would not hesitate to visit this place midseason. Like all tourist places – you will find party, action and drunken people – but if that annoys you: Stay away from pub streets, then – and visit the more quiet areas. Just ask Mark – he will guide you and recommend what to do and where to go. Travelling without my husband and children for the first time: Orion Hotel and Faliraki was a perfect choice! I really want to come back, maybe with my husband, with friends, or on my own.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank BrittHestvik
Mark W, Front Office Manager at Orion Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2013
We are delighted you enjoyed your holiday so much! Thank you for your review.
I realised you were a touch nervous when you arrived, travelling alone, so am overjoyed that we were able to make you feel welcome and safe to be able to enjoy your holiday.
Your review is wonderful both for us at the Orion, and in it's fair appraisal of Faliraki - including the advantages of visiting in low season (spring and autumn) when life is less hectic, and the weather is warm, but not too hot to prevent exploration of the beauty of the island and it's history.
We hope to see you again soon, as you will always be welcome - whether you bring your husband, friends - or try another solo trip for some relaxing "me" time! There is so much to see and experience here - you've only scratched the surface!
Thank you, once again.
Reviewed 17 April 2013 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend just returned from a week at the Orion hotel and it was the best hotel I have ever stayed in!

I had emailed Mark to arrange some decorations for the room as it was my boyfriends birthday and when we arrived the room had banners balloons and streamers which was a lot more than expected! The area was very quiet as we arrived out of season but we went to the Loft bar every night and had a brilliant time! The food in the pool bar was lovely and the prices are so cheap! Maria in the pool bar is one of the most amazing women I've met, she works so hard and deserves every bit of credit for it what a wonderful lady!

If you want a lovely family run hotel and to feel important and welcomed then this is the place to go, Thankyou Orion!!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank mmorgan1
Mark W, Front Office Manager at Orion Hotel, responded to this review, 19 April 2013
Hi,
We are delighted you had such a great holiday at the Orion Hotel, and thank you for taking the time to tell the world.
It was our pleasure to look after you!
I will make sure to tell Maria how much you enjoyed and appreciated her service and food in our Pool Bar & Café.
I will also make sure to tell Mike, Toula and the staff at the Loft Bar how much you enjoyed their hospitality and entertainment.
As you say, it is quiet in Faliraki at this time of year. (Bars, restaurants and shops are now opening up daily, with the resort expected to be in "full swing" by mid-May - we would like to see a few more open in early season, and will continue to try to encourage more to do so). However, as you found, it is still possible to enjoy an early holiday. There are a small variety of shops, bars and restaurants open to suit all tastes. The weather in April is generally warm and sunny. Faliraki's beautiful sandy beaches are your's to enjoy! Also, Faliraki is ideally located to explore the history and beauty of the island with regular bus services to the World Heritage site of Rhodes Old Town and picturesque Lindos, or to the bustling shopping experience in Rhodes new town. As you found, boats trips to nearby the islands of Simi and Halki are also operating giving even more variety to early visitors.
We hope to welcome you again soon!
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Had a few days with family at the Orion, Faliraki

The Orion itself was well worth the money, clean comfortable and friendly

Faliraki was too quiet for us in April but you could see it was gearing itself up for the main season

Marsh family

Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Rb M
Mark W, Front Office Manager at Orion Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Hello,
We re glad you enjoyed staying with us at the Orion. It was a pleasure to see you all.
We fully understand that you found Faliraki too quiet in April, especially travelling with children/teenagers.
Faliraki is ideal at this time of year (March /April) for people who want a good base from which to explore the natural beauty and history of the island, and enjoy generally warm, sunny weather - whist not objecting to the odd breezy or stormy day. However, as a resort providing a wide variety of places to eat drink and shop, and entertainment, it doesn't really come alive these days until May.
We hope to see you all again soon - when it is busier - and sunshine is guaranteed every day of the summer!