“Good for the price” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #63 of 74 Hotels in Faliraki
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Good for the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

Me and a friend came for a cheap holiday which Gondola helped with. Rooms were basic but clean. The staff were always friendly, ordered taxis helped with problems etc.
The pool was great and refreshing, nice place to sunbathe. You have to pay extra for aircon but I stayed from the 13th july for a week and managed to sleep without.

The hotel was only about a 10-15 minute walk from club street and bar street and was just down one straight road so easy to find. We only paid for breakfast which was pretty terrible, just some ham, plastic cheese, tea, coffee, water and bread. We also heard from other people staying in the same place that the evening meals were terrible but all in all its an ok place to stay for the price. The pool bar food was a lot better! Would recommend the gyros and slouvaki.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Beth G

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Polish first
Warsaw, Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2012

Hotel Gondola is very nice place. We were there from September the 22nd to October the 6th, and it was very sunny. We had BB - breakfast was good (coffe, tea, juice, ham, jam, eggs, cheese, bread). The restaurant was very good - were having there the dinners - delicious food and very cheap comparing to the other restaurants in Faliraki. The staff was fantastic - very friendly and helpful people, especially - the owner of the restaurant, wonderful lady.

Behind the hotel was the swimming pool - clean and fantastic!

It's very near to the beach, location is really nice!

There was only one thing we didn't like - big and clever mosquitoes at night.

Otherwise - I recommend this magic place :)

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Vampira666
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

my daughter and niece have just returned from this hotel where they were told they would have to pay for air con which was not stated when booking,
at the end of the holiday they booked out of there room at mid day and had to sit in reception until 1 am the following morning.
they asked a number of staff if they could use a room to shower and were told there was no empty rooms but they could pay for one!!!!! no logic
when the night desk clerk came on duty he took pity on the girls and said he had found an empty room they could use. it was very late by then and the reception area was empty and they both went behind the desk just out of sight of there handbags {silly girls} to get things out of their suitcases, on returning my daughter noticed her purse was gone when asking the man on reception he said he hadnt seen anything even though he was the only person there and they were only gone for 2 mins. when they asked to speak to someone else about it they were told no one was available,THEY THEN HAD TO LEAVE FOR THE AIRPORT SO COULD NOT PHONE THE POLICE SO GIRLS PLEASE BE AWARE DO NOT LEAVE YOUR BAGS UNATTENDED

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Gill W
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

I stayed in Gondola Hotel in the end of July, 2011.

It is located within 15 minutes’ walk from Faliraki Bar Street. As a result, it’s a very calm and quiet place: no music can be heard, no crowds of people idling around can be seen here.

There is a very cosy sandy beach in 300 metres’ distance from the hotel. And what I liked about it is that there were not many people, what can’t be said about those beaches in the centre of Faliraki. Moreover, I could see sea from my room’s balcony – that was amazing.

The rooms themselves are really, really clean and fresh because the hotel had been renovated right before last season. Furniture in my room was absolutely okay. The same goes with a bath tub (not a shower!) which was impeccably white and clean, mini-refrigerator and a conditioner, which was as cool as ice. By the way, I paid nothing for it, whereas it is claimed in other reviews here that one has to pay 7 Euro per day. Probably, you have to ask whether or not a conditioner is included in your booking price.

Breakfast was good enough for a 2 stars’ hotel: tea, coffee and juice; boiled eggs, ham and cheese; cucumber and cabbage; jam and cookies; bread of course. Not a rich variety every day, but sufficient enough not to die with starvation until dinner.

What I also liked about Gondola is that they have their own taverna where you can have tasty dinner or supper at a reasonable price (often from 2 to 3 Euro cheaper than on the island as a whole). It was here when I tried my first pasticio amd mousakas and fell in love with these amazing Greek dishes. And just for example. A complex dinner (Greek salad, soup, Greek plate and some sweet) cost about 7 Euro last year. And a guy always provided me with some bonus plate for free!

The pool is amazing for a 2 stars’ hotel! Big enough for a 62 rooms’ hotel and always clean! Sunbeds for free, of course.

There is a supermarket near the hotel, where I used to buy olive oil at a price of 3.80 Euro whereas the very same bottles could be noticed at a price of 7 Euro in other supermarkets of the island.

What else?.. There is a taxophone right in front of the hotel – you can buy a telephone card at a price of 5 Euro in a supermarket and talk to your relatives (3 hours at a price of 5 Euro is more than reasonable, I guess).

Three more things to notice.

There is Wi-Fi in the hall (but no Wi-Fi in the rooms yet) and a PC with Internet access (20 minutes at a price of 1 Euro).

The hotel’s guests are simple but really decent people, which was quite important for me. So it was always calm and quiet in the hotel (at night as well!). There were guests from Germany, Czech Repuplic, Poland and Russia when I stayed. All of them are people in their thirties and forties (also I saw a grandmother with her 8-year-old grandson) and just a few young people, inluding me.

As for the personnel, I liked all of them: nice people and it was really pleasant to contact with them.

If I am ever to be back to Rhodes, I’ll definitely choose Gondola Hotel. This is honest 2 stars and you will never find anything better in Faliraki for this price. That’s why I choose to rate it as 5.

I attach some photos.

Room Tip: It will be better if you're given a room on the second floor.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
9 Thank Xenia_Nikishkova
Braintree, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

On the 22nd June 2012 we had a late night flight from London Stanstad to Rodes Greece, arriving in the real early hours of the morning. We boarded our transfers to take us to ‘the Gondola Hotel’ in Falirki. Travelling through the town of Faliraki at around 4am, everything was very quiet and I began to feel a bit apprehensive that the nightlife was had hoped for was going to be non-existent. When we arrived at the hotel it was very quiet but we collected our key and our made our way to our rooms, not receiving any other information, what time breakfast was ect.
I did not pay a lot for the accommodation but first impressions were not great. The room was quite small and other than the bed and dressing table there was not much room, the bathroom really was so tiny, there was what we described as ‘half a bath’ and a toilet that as you sat on your legs were underneath the sink. None the less it was spotlessly clean and everything, clean towls ect. Were there waiting. When we first got there it was clear the air-con hadn’t been on for a few days and the room was like a sauna, we tried to turn on the unit but had no idea how to use it. We agreed to try and get a little bit of sleep (by now it was around 5am) and then go down for some breakfast and enquire about the air-con.
Breakfast did not impress further, the bred was stale and the green jam that was accompanying it did not take my fancy, so we skipped breakfast and coincidently didn’t make it out of bed in time to see if it had improved for the rest of the week. Asking at reception we found you had to pay around 17euros for the air-con but we were more than happy to pay this, following this we found out we were only around a 10 minute walk down the hill to the bustling strip of Faliraki. After a walk down there to get our bearings and an ice-cream we had cheered up and began to have a better outlook on our weeks stay at Hotel Gondola.
Yes the room was small and I certainly wouldn’t have been able to handle it with my family but for me and my cousin as a place to sleep and get ready for nights out, it was more than enough! We were on a tight budget and chose to spend our money on alcohol rather than posh food, so we only ate out once and the beginning of the week but following that we were more than happy to eat from the pool bar. They offered really cheap and basic food, chips ect. In fact we ended up living off of these chicken kebabs for about 2euros that was so yummy!
All the staff at Hotel Gondola were so friendly and treated us fantastic, the lady that served at the pool bar was exceptionally lovely and we often received free drinks, deserts ect. Towards the end of the week we had really grown fond of our cosy little room and was sad to say goodbye.
Last but not least, I didn’t know what to expect from the Night life of Falirki, it wasn’t a place that is well heard of but I was pleasantly impressed, especially as we were visiting in June (probably doesn’t get busy until mid July time) there was a good selection of bars/clubs that offered good deals on drinks and a lively atmosphere. I would love to sample the nightlife again at a busier time in summer.
Overall towards the end of the week we had both fallen in love with our ‘hotel gondola’ and was won over by the friendliness and charm of the staff and surrounding areas. Will defiantly return and know not to worry about my first impressions.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank TishaChatten
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2011

Stayed here last week of September, really hot slight breeze. After a few problems with the room being on lower floor I asked for a room change to upper floor (better room) and requested a vegetarian menu (went HB) which they did with no problem, food was ok usual cold breakfast, I did get my evening meal from their snack bar which was really friendly although the waiter was hit or miss the ladies who cooked were great. I did have one problem with the dining room waitress Nessa, she was unbelievably rude and would of ruined my holiday if they had not moved my evening meal location. I would not rec' HB here for meat eaters, what I saw was miserable as were the guests. Lovely pool and grassed area, clean rooms and regular towel chg, cleaning ladies fantastic. Hotel it next to Kathara Bay absolute heaven and a short walk to the strip etc. I found the prices for food cheap lots of trips etc. I used the bus and it was really easy, central for all travel round Rhodes. I would go back thou not HB 'cause its really cheap to eat out

Room Tip: Rooms facing the front of the hotel seemed much nicer
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank carrieemz
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2011

My cousin and I arrived at the Gondola at 4.30am to be told that the hotel had been fully booked and we had to spend the night at a neighbouring hotel. We were a bit annoyed but too tired to do anything. The following morning our room still wasn't ready, so we went to the pool area. It is lovely, creeping flowers, clean pool and friendly staff in the snack bar (Try the chicken pitas - they are to die for!) When we were finally showed to our room, it was basic, clean and decent sized. You could see the sea from our balcony. You will need air con though, it gets stiflingly hot of an evening (It is 7 euros per day but is very worth it!). The breakfast is typical greek continental - bread, ham, cheese, salad, tea and juice. The main clubbing/shopping area is about 3/4 mile away (10 min walk) it was fairly quiet for high season but we still had a great time and stayed out until 6am most nights! The pretty beach is 5 minutes away and there is a mini supermarket over the road.
On our last day, we checked out at 12pm and were going to leave our cases safely behind reception (We weren't due to be picked up until 11.30pm) when the manager gave us a key to another room to 'shower in and leave our cases for the inconvenience of our first night'. I thought this was a really nice gesture. The staff were all lovely and overall our stay in the Gondola was good - if we came back to Rhodes for another mad holiday we would definitely book here again.

Room Tip: The manager is extremely helpful, if you want anything, just ask.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends