“Magical 50th Birthday Holiday”
Review of Hotel Calypso

Hotel Calypso
Ranked #10 of 70 Hotels in Faliraki
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Just arrived back from the Hotel Calypso in Rhodes this morning. I was part of a group of 3 ladies travelling to celebrate my 50th birthday. Was slightly disappointed when given our room as we had emailed the hotel and requested a low floor as one of the party doesn't do heights, we were allocated the 5th floor. The lady on reception said if we wanted we could change the next day. (we didnt though).Our room was on the road side of the hotel (536) which can be a little noisey but didnt cause much of a problem. The room was very clean and spacious and as there were three sharing we used the sofa bed. Which was larger than we had imagined and extremely comfortable. The maid service was great, clean towels every day ( beach and bath) and never intrusive. Cleanliness was excellent and there is an iron in the maids room on every floor.
We had a late arrival 10:30 and the only food available was at the snack bar which were toasties which closes at 11pm, so if your flight is later you wont get fed. The bars are open from 10am -2am and there are 3 of them. George and Takis in the main evening bar 6pm -2am where extremley hospitable and remembered all our drinks and even had them ready when we needed replenishing! Antonio and Yannis in the pool bar where great, they make a mean Palmer cocktail.
The food was good, a wide variety for all meals, the slow roast lamb and the sword fish were fantastic. The food was not hot but I am used to this as most hot countries dont have their food piping hot. Nikos the maitre'du was excellent and extremely professional, had a cake made for my 50th and also when one of the party was ill he was very helpful and concerned. The waiter Zannethios was very friendly and very efficient, always polite and remembered our orders. We used the a la carte restaurant for my birthday food was good but limited choice the service was excellent though and they played happy birthday when they brought my surprise cake to the table.
The animation team was good and friendly, reception was very professional but did not have the spa information to hand when requested. I did however use this service and found the therapist very good but the facilities could be better.
Overall I have really enjoyed my time at this hotel and think that is gives great value for money and is situated in a very accessable area, easy for Rhodes, faliraki and Lindos. Would recommend this to friends and family.

Room Tip: Pool facing rooms are quieter for sleeping as there is no road noise but you have to pay ectra so re...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Janet P

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed here from 14th May for two weeks.Can't fault hotel at all service excellent from restaurant, snack bars to main bar.All staff friendly,helpful.A bonus is that we had use of sister hotel over the road Calypso Palace where bar and pool ect were on the roof top.Car hire is good and highly recommended we hired a car for 2 days at a price of 50 euros.Location really good lying in between Rhodes Town and Falaraki..there is aTaxi boat that picks up passengers from beach outside hotel taking them to Rhodes and Falaraki.Entertainment split between professional acts and animation team.Profesional acts are pretty good.Animation team poor,the poorest I have seen.probably due to the Italian guy who is the team leader he does not mix with guests at all and has no charisma.The rest of the team try there best.Mark,Claudia and Julia are nice people friendly and pleasant and with leadership would be ok.

Room Tip: Sea view a must
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank kthwmoffat
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed at the calypso beach hotel for 1 week with my partner and 2 boys aged 6 & 14 from the moment we arrived we were very impressed, tsambika and maria and team on reception were so helpful and always had a smile very welcoming.

We had a garden view room it was ok but after 3 days we upgraded to sea view room which was perfect, the views were amazing, air conditioning, flat screen t.v with sky news and a little fridge
beds were comfortable pillows not so comfortable.
rooms were spotless everyday the cleaners work very hard.

The food was amazing and the service in the restaurant was excellent Nikos and his team run a well oiled ship.
couldn't fault the food or the service.

The snack bar in the day again was well run by Athena and her team the snack bar does get busy but its kept clean and the food is beautiful, and Kostas the bar man makes very good drinks we loved the cocktails.

The hotel is really nice there is a little shop and a car hire place and 5 mins up the road there is a shopping centre and 20 mins the other way if walking there is falaraki.
kids club was a little bit boring for my 6 year old as there was not many children at the hotel at the time but he was kept amused in the swimming pools and loved the water slide.
my 14 year old again just enjoyed the pool and trying to catch the lizards that were around the hotel.

If we could change one thing it would be to have fresh orange juice being served at breakfast not the sweet machine stuff as it has a horrible after taste, and maybe a slush puppy machine for the children as they have this in other hotels.

Room Tip: upgrade to sea view room well worth it
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank hays1179
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Just returned from a week in Rhodes. I couldn't fault this hotel at all. Flew out with Thomas Cook and arrived after midnight staff then provided us with food as restaurants were closed! Paid extra for a sea view room and was worth it for the view. Only a five minute walk from Faliraki. Took a boat over to Turkey for a day and would highly recommend a jeep safari. Excursions through Thomas Cook are quite expensive I would recommend using Sofia's Travel in Falaraki who are much cheaper. Will definitely be back to this hotel in the future.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank ShannonDunbar93
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel was fabulous. We booked a sea view room and it was worth the extra money. The pool wasn't heated but you soon get used to the colder temperature. Only downfall is lack of beer choice and the food became quite repetitive. Possibly because it was end of season! However, there are lots of other choices of drink. It just took a while to et used to the lager and there was no cider . Fantastic location though. Not too far from Faliraki Main Street and only a small bus ride to Rhodes Old Town. We even visited Turkey and as we were so close to the harbour, didn't have to get up as early as some of the other guests staying at hotels further down the island

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Corinne S
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We also stayed the same week as ns from London, and I'm most ashamed to say that I didn't pay the attention to detail he did when remembering names etc! Well done though.
This was a perfect holiday: temperatures of 26Cish, beautiful views from the seaview hotel room, pools interspersed with palm trees and little bridges leading to the pool bar, where there were again wonderful views of the beach and sea. The beach was literally a stones throw from the pool bar.
There were plenty of sunbeds around the pool and beach (although I would guess in the high season this might prove a problem)
There aren't really enough words to express how all inclusive hotels give a family such freedom. Mums especially, who don't have to cook, think or plan anything. One day my husband took the two children to the waterpark 5 minutes drive away (or bus). I sat and had a 2 hour lunch! On my own, with dry martini cocktails, rose wine, a book, coffee, brandy!! Only a mum could appreciate the peace and happiness that gave me. I walked along the beach and went in the sea (on my own!!) I strolled around the grounds of the hotel as the sun burned down. The children and my husband played volley ball with the Germans every day. I must admit, I did like the fact that the majority of guests were German: we couldn't understand them and it felt even more like being on holiday. Everyone was friendly. The children loved the table tennis and the very cold pool.
This was a holiday that we all appreciated, enjoyed and never wanted to end. Ditto to all that ns said in his review.
I thought the staff were friendly and helpful. But again, is it easier in October for everyone with less people staying in the hotel? I don't know. I just know that we didn't want to leave.

Room Tip: Seaview 300-309 or higher (away from the kitchens)
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank Lala96
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stayed at the Calypso beach from 19 October to 26 October. Family-owned hotel. We were in a party of four adults and two children; all vegetarian. The service we received from all the hotel staff was extremely efficient.
Manolis - Head Chef was always willing to make vegetarian meals for us. He was always smiling and ensured that we were happy with the meals the previous day. We requested to see him on a daily basis and within minutes he would turn up asking what we would like to have for dinner. Never did he complain and made every effort to make our stay pleasant.
Nikos and his team in the restaurant were extremely friendly - always asking whether there were any problems.My son still remembers Christos - Christopher!
Athena and her team in the snack bar were always willing to get our lunches despite being very busy at times. When she wasn't there, she would leave a message for her colleagues and our lunch would be ready!
George in the Indoor bar was very helpful. Thank you for allowing my daughter and son to use the musical facilities. His team were always smiling.
The three men in the pool bar were always very busy but never complained. Keep on smiling, guys. They all support Liverpool!
The three ladies worked hard to clean our rooms daily. I had left my mobile and a bag in the room just before I checked out and I was told immediately by reception that these two items were reported in the room by the ladies.
The ladies in the reception were always helpful and nothing was a chore for them. Always with a smile. Namaste!
The animation team were fantastic, especially Natasha, Sophie and the young Hungarian girl. My parents loved the morning excercises and my wife revelled in the aqua Gym, My daughter enjoyed darts. You could also participate in Table-tennis, Volleyball, Boccia and Football on a daily basis. My son, who is 6 years, was eager to play football. He found the 20 minutes challenging and enjoyed every minute of it. Thanks to all the players who were gentle with him - Bow (sorry, I do not know how to spell your name), Anna (brilliant player), Oscar, 1860 Munchen, Raymond, Raymond's uncle etc etc.
Like other reviews, the hotel is very clean all round, starting from the rooms, swimming pool area and the sun beds on the beach.
There was no problem getting a sunbed by the pool area even after 11am in the morning.
Credit to the Management and Directors, one of whom I met in the shop on the ground floor, for employing such an efficient team to make our stay extremely enjoyable and fun.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family