“Love it!”

Ranked #6 of 71 Hotels in Faliraki
London, United Kingdom
“Love it!”
Reviewed 29 September 2011

Just return from the sun palace for the secound time and its fab as the first time, the staff are great. The food is fab.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank deb601

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I love Trip Advisor.

I think it's fantastic that we're all given the platform to voice our opinion.
To recommend or forewarn complete strangers of the place we have visited for our hard earned holiday, to escape the drudgery of everyday life. For months I was religiously reading this exact page. Hoping the glean facts from satisfied souls like you and me, and not those annoying so and so's we are desperate to escape. Hoping to ensure I had picked the right place according to you, the stranger I've never met. Hoping you recommended the place, even though I have no idea who you are or what you are really like.

The reality is this. Those people you wanted to escape could well be here, on your idyllic holiday in the sun. Not the exact people, of course, but similar. And this is my point - I think a hotel review can be tainted by the clientel you were fortunate/unfortunate enough to be staying with.

My holiday with the family (wife and two boys aged 9 & 4) was marvellous. The Sun Palace Hotel is a great, relatively inexpensive all inclusive resort that is clean and efficiently run. That's the short version and is the crux of my review. If you want more, read on..

..There's only 250 or so rooms, so it's quite small and friendly. This is what I was eluding to earlier; Had there been a group of people not to my taste, Inconsiderate fools, hellbent on ruining it for everyone, I could see why this place wouldn't be enjoyable, as you wouldn't be able to escape them. you'd be stuck in this apparent nightmare. The flip side of course is if you're lucky enough to have considered and like minded guests, you'll have a good holiday.

The animation activities are quite varied (water polo, stretching, boules, football tennis, a dedicated under 6's fun club - not a sign in/out affair, much more organic in it's take it or leave it approach, plus an older kids club with an animator, who amazingly kept all the rowdy boys in check)

So, if you have a group like minded guests, you should have fun. If you have a gaggle of irritating swines, chances are they are going to be doing the same activities as you, possibly ruining your enjoyment.

One of the animators there seems to forget on ocassion he's there to entertain you, and participates quite competitively in the activities, sometimes re-entering when he's been knocked out by a guest. A harmless enough guy, but seems to have a competitive edge and short temper at times. Maybe he was picked on at school? Other times he made me feel quite uncomfortable and ill with his round the pool antics and banter. Other times he was fine and even occasionally funny. He was liked in general though, so maybe the problem was mine, but he is a stereotypical Brit who I like to escape whenever possible. The head animator guy (yes he repeats his 'schtick' but you won't forget it, will you?) is very talented and a genuinely good man. It takes a talent to knit this hotel clientel together. This hotel is full of predomonantly British guests, but there were also Dutch, German, French and Swedes here. He could speak in their native tongue to any of them. Hats off to his dedication and professionalism. He was a highlight.

Other things of note. Wifi cost 4 euros an hour. There's 3 pool tables, some P.Cs that allow the kids to check FB, etc. Air hockey, some old arcade games and a well stocked little shop, selling all you may need to stop you wandering out. TIP - on our first day we were given footballs, lilos, bats etc by soon-to-be-departing kids. Don't buy these.. Well you can if course if you want to. I may have just looked like I needed the charity.

Now. If you are lucky, like we were, your holiday can be made by the fact that the people you meet, twixed with a good clean hotel with a daily (well, 6 days a week) activity programme to keep you and the kids happy, add in a bountiful restaurant , meticulously run by a welcoming chap called Nikos, will all serve to make you believe you've had a great time. However, on the last couple of days a guest arrived who was a complete imbecile. This guy could ruin anyone's holiday. It was then that I realised that people can be the main cause of a bad review. The hotel doesn't change, the clientel do. So much can change if you are unfortunate to have someone like this around for two weeks. On the other hand I met genuine characters who I won't forget for the right reasons and so will discount his contribution.

Objectively, there's nothing wrong with this hotel at all. The grounds are well tended, the pool likewise well looked after by a guy called George. I'd read on here he was "slightly odd" I thought he was simply a hard working guy, always willing to find you a bed if you looked like you needed help with a smile.

I'm not a lottery winner. I didnt pay hundreds of thousands for this holiday. I paid under three grand for two weeks at the Sun Palace in peak summer holiday season. That's two adults, two children. All Inc.

This allowed me to pretend that money was no object for two weeks To not care about how many ice creams my son wanted- he could have them! (approx 5 per day) or my other son's constant thirst/ hunger as he learnt to feed himself at the snack bar. Yes, it's mainly spicy sausages and chips, but there's a clue in the name "Snack Bar" - the restuarant will be open three times a day for your proper choices. This is really a bonus meal. If you don't want it (and frankly you shouldn't need it) don't use it.

And that's another thing. How on earth can you complain about the food at the restaurant? You had to queue for the BBQ?? Get over it! You're on holiday. What else have you got to do? "the food was repetitive" errr, if I was at home my diet would have been far more repetitive than the choices here. Ok, it's not the greatest cuts of meat, but don't tell me at home at your house you have that amount of fresh salads daily, a choice of soups, meats, desserts and sides. Again, I look to put this into perspective. For the money I paid I ate and drank well. Most people if they are honest eat the same meals every week.
The fruit juices were awful, but still drinkable. The coffee machine was always available 24hrs with free biscuits.

I also read that some of the staff were a little miserable. Again I didn't see this. Not many people have a permanent fixed grin. I certainly don't. I have nothing but kind words for all the staff I met here.

Beach. The beach is ok. It's not golden sand and there's a few rocky patches in the sea, but the water is warm and it's not crowded. It is however a 8-10 min walk down a slightly tatty road. No worries for me, but if you're expecting a paradise path to the ocean, this isn't for you. It's a shambly ole dusty path.

Transfers. It took about 40 mins from the airport to the hotel. A nice an easy journey with no mad cliffs to climb/descend.

Rooms. Another tip I read here. Rooms with odd numbers face the pool. I requested a pool view room which I got, but the view of the pool was impaired by trees. I didn't mind at all. The pool view rooms tend to be noisier as they face the entertainment stage. You can ask for a quieter room which face the mainland. A small gripe on that the Walls are paper thin and kids screech down the hallways at silly o clock. The way we dealt with this was to stay up and watch all the evening shows. If you can't beat em.. Oh, no cockroaches, rats or any creepy crawlies in the room. Saw one cockroach in the pool toilets, but that was it.

Sunbeds/towels. You will have to get up and reserve them at 6.30 to 7am if you want a poolside bed. There's no rule saying you can't. I did come down one morning to see all of the towels in the pool. I was chortling as I saw people looking in despair at their towells at the bottom of the pool. For one they'd
lost their prime position sunbeds, and for two that towel wasn't going
to dry too quickly. This was a one
off though.

I think I am done. I had a great time. As did my family. We were lucky maybe that all the stars alligned and we had great weather, great guests and a great hotel. For what I paid I don't think I can have no complaints at all. If I paid twice what I did, maybe I might look a little harder for constructive criticism. I've listed everything here honestly, and I would completely understand if someone's review differed from mine, as the hotel owing to it's size and nature, relies
heavily on it's guests to elevate it to an enjoyable retreat.

I'm done now.

• Stayed August 2011
24 Thank Smithtopher
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Well i saw a lot of bad comments by people who said they had been to sun palace all i can say is they must of been talking about another hotel. iv just come back (sept 2011) with my wife and nine year old and can only say we had a great time. The hotel was clean the food was above average for an all inclusive package. The toilets and showers were all fine, As for the staff, right from the time of checking in to checking out they could not of been more helpful. I guess some people just like to complain and look for a good deal then expect a 5* Hotel. Well sun palace my not be the best we have been too but for value sun sea and enjoyment you will find it hard to beat.

Graham Buckingham
England

Room Tip: one over looking the pool or away from main block and is near the poll area.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank graham24343732
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Stayed at Sun Palace Hotel for 10 nights at end of august start with the good points:
-Pool was lovely and big but freeezing took ur breath away as you got in!
-Hotel room was very big everything was fine beds were abit hard but who cares your on holiday!!
-Hotel was lovely and clean George who cleans the pool was fab always finds you a sun bed
-alcoholic drink were good go to the bar inside he puts some alcohol in the drinks!
-food in the resturant was nice BBQ & Mexican night are the best the greek night you just seem to walk around 3 or 4 times to find something to eat other than CHIPS!!
-entertainment team are the ones who make the holiday for us a BIG THANKYOU to Sean,Hayley,Nikki,Alex and Aurel they are just so funny and have you laughing all the time. Dont know how people can slate the entertainment team when they work so hard Working from 10am till gone midnight and then take groups of people out in Faliraki then get up for work at 10am they deserve some credit.
-Worth taking a trip to the waterpark I would recommed to go on a saturday because thats the day the entertainment team have off and its very boring with out them, The water park is 20 euros each 15 for children. Good idea with the rist bands you can put money on them and every time you want a drink or food they just scan your band and the money comes off saves you having to keep money with you and whatever is left at the end they just give back to you. You need to take a pair of socks with you to wear because its hardly shaded there and your feet just burn when you walk on the ground (Also its all up hill so by the time u get to the top of one ride ur tired out) but all in all its a good trip.
-Rhodes town make sure you get the bus into rhodes which takes about 40 mintues or you pay 25euros for a taxi 3 euros each on the bus. Rhodes town is nice have lots of shops and places to eat but there all very pushy to get you to eat in there restaurants
-Faliraki the strip of shops in Faliraki are nice aswell just outside the hotel just have to walk out of the hotel and the shops are just down the road. Faliraki night life make sure you go out with the entertainment team after they have finished which is about 12.30ish they get you into all the clubs/bars for free defo go into King Arthur, Bed Rock, Georges and Liquid there some of the main bars on the strip.
The not so good points:
-Sun beds they are a big problem and seem to be with everyone who writes a review on here! yes some people have had a moan about putting towels down there was a group of 11 of our party and we use to put our towels down before we use to go to bed at about 1.30ish yes yes i know your not ment to do this and yet again people will moan even if you get up at 5am to put ur towels on the beds half of them would be gone anyway. George didnt care what time you put ur towels down he use to say to us its no problem i will watch your towels for you we use to be on our sunbeds for 9am so its not like we didnt make full use of them!! there doesnt seem to be enought beds for the emount of people in the hotel 800+ when we stayed there it seems to feel abit crammed in around the pool dont have your bed by the volley ball net you have the ball hit you quite often which can be annoying!!
-Snack bar well its dirty ice cream is great but the snack bar needs a good clean food is ok normally chips chips chips and more chips there was pizza every couple of days and salad most days which just looked dryed out and looked like it was the same salad everyday
-Soft drinks there all very watered downt the coke the orange juice are the most watered down i would say the lemonade was nice and so was the ice tea. The alcohol drinks are fab there not tight with the alcohol the only problem is the soft drinks there just watered down but apart from that the drinks are ok...
All in all this has been a fab holiday been good value for money met some fab people if the drinks were not watered down and the snack bar was clean and didnt have flys over everything then this hotel would be more like a 4star plus. A holiday is what you make out of it if you have good food a bed to sleep in the sunshine and not at work what more could you ask for??!! some people just like to have a good moan. Take my hat off to the entertainment team they make the holiday and without them it would be boring Thankyou for a fab holiday Sun Palace!!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank 451Holiday11
Kaiserslautern, Germany
Reviewed 17 September 2011

The hotel is rated as a 4 star, it has been our experience when staying in hotels in southern Europe you must subtract 1 star from what they say it is. This was true here as well. That being said, we really enjoyed our stay at the hotel.

The thing that made it was the staff, from the cleaning staff, to the restaurant staff, to the "Animation" (4-5 people who lead all the daily activities and nightly kids disco). They made it a good stay.

The food at the restaurant was pretty good, it is a buffet stile set up so it was somewhat of a free for all. They do not assign dinner times to the visitors. They have a sign saying you are required to wear pants for the evening dinner, but it was not enforced, they should enforce this right from the beginning, it would raise the overall atmosphere.

The pool has several sections, we have a 1 year old and we stayed around that pool most of the time. The hotel is not on the beach which we knew prior to going, the beach is about 300 meters away and an easy walk. The water at the beach is beautiful, they have chairs and umbrellas (which I assume the is a charge for) there on the beach. There are also a couple of bars there and outdoor showers.

The hotel does not have internet in the rooms, they do have wireless in the lobby and about 5 computers in the game room. There 5 computers takes Euros and the wireless has and hourly charge. Unfortunately the local internet provider was having problems and we could not get internet most of the time.

We stayed in the family section, the room was divide into two rooms. It is not in the main building and does not overlook the pool, we were told they are better and quieter rooms. It had tile floors with a balcony, the master room bed was plenty big and the kids room had two single beds. The shower head in the bathroom did not hang on the wall well, you had to hold it in your hand to take a shower. The room was a bit worn and older looking.

We went scuba diving out of Rhodes old town which is about a 25 minute bus ride. The company name was "WaterHoppers". Cost was about 80 euros for 2 dives per person and all the equipment. Went out on a fairly large boat, was briefed by the dive master on the 40 minute ride out along the coast of the island. Staff was helpful getting all the gear together and we dove in about 12 meters. The visibility was 25 meters and we went into a few caves. They had good ham and cheese sandwiches on the boat for 2 euros (great deal) and cokes as well. Nice dive and good experience, price was about right.

Summary: 3 star type hotel; great staff; nice pool; easy to get to beach (but not on the beach); food pretty good; drinks ok for all you can drink; scuba diving good. We scuba dived with a couple staying at a 5 star hotel up the street and they said it was a 3+ hotel. So temper your expectations on the hotels.

Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Brian S
Kent
Reviewed 17 September 2011

The Sun Palace Hotel was really pretty and bigger than expected which was nice. Lovely big pool, food and drink always available at any time of day. Rooms are very nice, we were situated away from the main hotel building but close to the pool which was perfect. Staff were friendly, however, one gentleman (I believe his name was Demetrious) was very nice at the beginning of the week but made a massive hint that we should give him a generous tip! If he hadn't said anything we probably would have done! Overall a fabulous holiday!

Room Tip: Rooms 118, 119 and 120 are perfectly located as they are away from the noise of the main hotel build...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank HannahLouise86
Barrybados

CHECK-IN
This was fast and effective

ROOM
We arrived at 00:00 and not long missed the welcome champagne, there were 2 cheese and ham sandwiches in the room. Our room (for two) was extremely clean, the bed was comfortable and wardrobe was a good size. TV was a decent size. There was unfortunately no furniture, eg Sofa but as we spent little time in our room, this was no problem. There were a lot of drawers and cupboards to put stuff and even a small fridge. The bathroom was really nice even though slightly cramped. In greece, it is strongly advised to not flush toilet roll as their system are not as efficient as ours.
Tip: Take a bag of nappy sacks!
We had a balcony overlooking the pool but again, only used it to dry clothes off. The safe was 30Euros for a week, and well worth it for peace of mind.
Tip: Get passports back from check-in desk the day after and put them in safe as the main reception seems a bit open and again, this is for peace of mind.

MAIDS
The maids were brilliant, they cleaned the room every morning and replaced towels. They were also extremely friendly

RESTAURANT
This was very clean and you are welcomed by staff everytime. The choice is brilliant and the fact they cook for a huge amount of people, they do a brilliant job. I like it because it caters both food lovers and fussy eaters. The waiters/waitresses work so hard in which me and my partner did feel a bit sorry for. They would start at 7 in the morning and you still see them 10 at night!!!!! They still manage to smile throughout the day. Each day had a different 'theme'
We had BBQ and Grill night twice, this was lovely. Mexican night was our particular favourite.They also do Italian, International, Greek and Chinese nights.
Drinks in the restaurant - On arrival at dinner, depending on what night it was there was free drinks linking with the theme eg, on mexican night, free tequila. Greek night - Ouzo.
The beer and all soft drinks were on tap for you to self serve in the restaurant and the orange juice in particular, was very nice.
Deserts were different everynight, although sometimes not very cold, a lot of effort goes into presentation.

DRINKS
The drinks at the Sun Palace (all inclusive option) exceeded what we expected. The local lager (VAP) was lovely and no different to a good pint of expensive European alternative. The cocktails were varied and you can ask for whatever you want. The shots are almost always a double so extremely strong!!!! the bar staff don't seem to care about saving alcohol and costs! Kostas, one of the bar staff, was awesome and very friendly. He has a great sense of humour and nights where he manned the secondary bar on his own, he still manages to have a great sense of humour. The main bar is where you can get pint glasses for beer.
TIP: Get a pint at the main bar early and keep your glass and take it to be refilled at the secondary bar as there aren't many glasses and the secondary bar only serves plastic cups but will refill a glass you already have. The Main bar served cocktails and regularly decorated the drink with umbrellas and sparklers.
The local liqueur they have is of decent quality, and my partner especially like the amaretto and baileys!
Drinks are from 10:00 till 00:00, perfect time as nightlife nearby starts at 00:00! can make nights out cheaper

POOL
The pool is awesome, there is a small pool for small children. Theres a 'quiet' pool for lounging about then there is the main pool (a dog leg) which has the water volleyball net and a deeper part to have a swim. (They say no diving but this wasnt the case)
At first it was cold but as the days passed i found myself loving it more as the heat was extreme.
The sun loungers (theres a lot of them) are comfortable and its true that you need to reserve them (we did as everyone else was) but there were always spares near the grass and by the kids pool.
George was a great guy and worked all day to keep the pool area running efficiently. He makes an effort to get to know you and even on our last day knew we were leaving and came and said bye.

ANIMATION TEAM
Sean - a 'geezer' from Essex. Really good guy with a lot of energy. He made the holiday very funny with good banter
Alex - a swedish guy with again, huge amount of energy. Multi lingual and his water gym is great for the women.
Nikki - She's in charge of the children aged 4-7. Not really much to say on her as she was very quiet and again, i didn't take much notice in the kids activities. She seemed nice enough and easy to get on with
Hayley - In charge of 7-15s. Looked very bored and moody most of the times. Was more interested in the group of lads that were at the hotel.
Aurel - He made the entertainment for us. He spoke many languages and has a sense of humour right up our street. He made everyone laugh, no matter what nationality they were. He is extremely talented and was comfortable doing anything.

DAY ENTERTAINMENT
Only looking at it from an adults point of view, the daily activities were plentiful. Water gym, volleyball, waterpolo, french bowls to name a few. They were hosted by the Sean and Alex who had a huge amount of energy. They were a bit forceful in trying to get you to join in but if you didnt want to then just say NO!

NIGHT ENTERTAINMENT
Every night began with the same routine of Mini disco for kids then Bingo for everyone else (prizes are good) Aurel hosted the nights and although a bit repetitive, was as funny as the night before. The variety came at 22:00 where everynight there was a different show. These consisted of Greek dancing, karaoke, brazilian night (brilliant), comedy (very funny) and few more.

OUTSIDE COMPLEX
Faliraki itself isnt very clean and very expensive to what we thought it would be. The beach is a short walk in which this is brilliant and the water is lovely and warm. There is 'petes watersports' which is highly recommended as we had a ball doing these.
TIP: Haggle the price down!
Waterpark is 20EUROS but worth it as you can spend all day there and have a ball! The lazy river is where you will catch your tan and it takes 20minutes to get around. Some of the rides are a bit dangerous but exilerating none the less. The lockers are available but you have to carry key around as there are no bands to put it
TIP: thread through you sun palace band!
We took a boat trip to lindos (booked with Sofia's travel, across the road from sun palace, It miles cheaper and she is lovely) The trip to lindos was one of the highlights and as it is enclosed theres no wind or breeze so on that day it was 39DEGREES. The water there was stunning and mirrored the sea in the carribean. We stopped on way back on boat in a nice area and was allowed to jump off boat into sea.

NIGHTLIFE
Its not what everyone thinks it is (binge drinking, lairy place) apparently its calmed down a lot and was dead when we went out. Its expensive for a drink but you have full control and can haggle awesome deals (eg, 5EUROS and we had any 3 drinks each, 3 shots each and 2 fish bowls to share.

PEOPLE
We met friends for life at the resort and my partner was emotional on her goodbyes with these. Most of the activities we did were shared between a group of 6-8 of us.

OVERALL
great holiday, great people, i would recommend anyone of any age whether your a family, couple of group of friends visiting the sun palace.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Jeighty_8