“great hotel,great food,great animation...get a life you moaners!!”
Review of Sun Palace Hotel

Sun Palace Hotel
Ranked #6 of 72 Hotels in Faliraki
Manchester, United Kingdom
“great hotel,great food,great animation...get a life you moaners!!”
Reviewed 16 October 2011

myself, my partner and 2 children (3,10) have just returned from a week long stay at the Sun Palace.On our arrival we were told our family room was located on the outside block,i intially panicked as i had read on here someone MOANING about that block!
We opened the door,fearing the worst only to find a clean,spacious room.Ok so it was rather basic,but who cares..aslong as its clean and safe for the kids..i certainly don't care!! Our maids were lovely,they always had a smile on their face and always made a fuss of our kids.We came back one day to find one of the maids had put some roses in a cup of water for us,a sweet gesture i thought! They always knocked before entering and if we were in the room then they gladly came back later!
We really enjoyed the food that was on offer,the different theme nights was good as it saved us getting bored with the usual hotel buffet grub! The salad selection was fab too,we ate out a couple of times throughout the week but this was only to sample the local tavernas! The restaurant staff were very pleasant,they would greet us at every visit with a smile.
The animation team were brill...always enthusiastic and full of energy,my 3 year old was too young for kids club but all the animation team knew his name and when we'd pass them in the hotel they would say hello to him,remembering his name! my 10 year old popped in and out of kids club throughout the week and throughly enjoyed it! We really enjoyed the evening entertainment.It started with the kids mini disco with Nikki,Hayley and carolina.My kids jumped up on stage to join them each night.That was follwed by bingo,which i usually wouldn't join in but Shaun,Nikki,Hayley carolina and of course chief animator Orell (sorry not sure how you spell it) made it alot of fun! We found Orell hilarious and a great DJ,always smiling and very witty! After the bingo there would a show or live entertainment..i normally find hotel entertainment bit boring and cheesy...not here, we enjoyed it...not so much the Mr.Sun palace stripping bit though...nothing to do with the animation team,more to do with the contestants haha!!!
We will definatley be returning to Sun Palace,i heard theres going to be a massive refurb this winter with a new pool with lots of slides and more rooms being built. If you're thinking of booking..get it booked!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank AngelAnge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Honestly, I feel so frustrated when I read some of the reviews for this hotel. I think people go through life constantly looking for the negatives in everything. We went to this hotel in May this year which was our 3rd stay and ive just booked to go back again with the family next week! We all just love it, including our youngest children, 4 and 2. For us a perfect holiday is all about, great hotel, clean and great staff, lovely people, great entertainment, plenty of activities to participate in (if you want to), fantastic food and most importantly a place where our children laugh and play and make friends. This hotel has all of the above and our 4 year old daughter talks about nothing else! All our children, 14, 4 and 2 love it, as do we! We have become great friends with the animation team and just can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Regards room, depends what you want. We found the family rooms in the annex to be a little bigger ho...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank Lennies
coatbridge
Reviewed 12 October 2011

We stayed here on he 5th oct for 1 week. We were there with our 2 kids age 3 and 1. We loved every minute of it. We had a family room that looked over the reception. The room was very clean and spacious but a bit dated. The maids cleaned the rooms daily and gave us fresh towels. The sheets were changed every 2nd day. The maids were very helpful and friendly.

The food was great an there was lots to choose from. I can't understand the reviews that said the food was repetitive when there was a different theme each night. It was the first time I have been away and not had to eat out any night. The drinks were good an they did have cocktails. You could help yourself to soft drinks and tea and coffee.

The beach was a five minute walk across the road from the main enterence. You walk along the road at the side of the supermarket it brings you out to a quiet area of the beach. The pubs are a 15 min walk down the road although there is one or two before then. My favourite was the loft with their friendly staff and cocktails for adults and kids.

I had a great time and would recommend this hotel to all ages as there was a large mix of ages.

The animation team where great and helped my son make friends

I'll defo be returning again

• Stayed October 2011
3 Thank lisagary_10
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2011

After reading a previous review concerning the hotels animation team I feel their comments are inaccurate and don't provide a true reflection of the amount of effort and enjoyment they gave throughout my 10day stay. From morning til night the animators were fun, friendly and made every effort to involve all guests in the full entertainment programme they provide. They were a pleasure to talk to and were always there to ensure guests enjoyment. A fantastic kids club run by Hayley and nikki was also offered. I would also like to mention Alex and Sean and thank them for being so enthusiastic and generally amazing.... I love water gym. Evening entertainment was also offered each night, which included live shows, music and karaoke. Aurel and his team put on a fabulous comedy show which was thourghly entertaining and gave people lots of laughs!!! For people wanting a quiet night this wasn't a problem either because the the shows finished at 11pm, and those wanting a more lively evening, the animation team were more than happy to show you the local nightlife. Can't thank them enough for completing my holiday and making it so much fun, it wouldn't have been the same without you!!

Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
wolverhampton
Reviewed 12 October 2011

me the wife and two kids 4 & 12 come here every year we think its that good from the manager down to the pool cleaner george always smiling doing a fantastic job. can't agree with the bad reviews one star? the entertainment can be noisy to be honest but it wouldn't be the same quiet we always have a laugh with the animation team who arn't pushy at all and leave you alone if you don't wish to partake. restaraunt is run very well and food is always inviting we always stay for two weeks and only eat out a few times.cleaners lovely and do a good job fresh sheets and towels nearly everyday.location is good ten minute walk into falaraki so not on the doorstep.met some lovely people while we were there andy and sarah carl and alison and have been close friends ever since we love the place and cant wait to go again next june.Ps when we go we always find the majority to be english about 70% which we prefer to be honest

Room Tip: family rooms just outside main building are much quieter
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank darrenandvictoria
Herts
Reviewed 9 October 2011

first of all one reviewer said that the pool toilets were so disgusting that people used there room toilet, thats so not true, we used them all the time (like most other people) and there was no problem atall
anyway

got back on friday, my friends and I loved it (3 of us went) food:Lovely, cant fault it atall, every night had a different theme chinese, roast, greek, ect + there was also a large salad bar + lovely dessets ,the rooms were basic but comfy, pool was lovely, always got a sunbed
the animation team: where do I start! you guys are amazing, so much energy, on the go from 10am well into the early hours of the morning, we even went out drinking with them most nights! I miss them already! I love this place and would go back tomorrow if I could! my mates and I are already starting to save up for next year! Ive never liked the thought of going back 2 the same place every year but i would for sun palace

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
East Anglia
Reviewed 8 October 2011

I did write a reveiw earlier whilst still at the hotel but developments caused me to remove it and repost with additions.
The hotel itself is reasonable. OK it needs some TLC as a lot of the furnishings and pool side furniture is a little worn. (Apparently an upgrade is planned this winter) The rooms in the main building although clean are very small indeed. 2 People in the bathroom and you cant move an inch. If you get a room overlooking the pool, hope you have earplugs until midnight.
The maids are lovely, as are most of the staff apart from Cris who waits on tables outside. Every day I have chatted and said hello and tried in vain to raise a smile. He has a different reaction to Germans though.. At the end of the season, there are hardly any English people in the Sun Palace. I have travelled all over the world and have yet to meet any people quite so rude and mannerless as the Germans were. I am sorry to say but the majority of them at the hotel were dreadful. Be prepared to be glared at, pushed and on one occasion my grandson (aged 8) was screamed at for accidentally splashing one man who was actually in the pool at the time !!!
Falarkai, Im told is still a good place for young people out for a good time, although not my type of place. In fact I thought it was dire. Run down and scruffy looking. Thank goodness for our hire car in which we travelled over much of the South of Rhodes which is beautiful and unspolit.
The evening entertainment leaves a lot to be desired but that isnt the fault of the animation team who are great. All of them are friendly and great with the kids.Pool area is spotless, and the food is good. There was never any night when I didnt find something I liked to eat.
Not long before we were to come home a notice was put up by Thomas Cook to say that there was to be a strike on the day of our departure. They said they would tell us more at 8.00 pm on the evening before we left. The rep finally arrived at about 9.00 pm just to put up a notice and leave. I managed to speak to him as I was waiting for his arrival. To cut a long story short, Thomas Cook were a disgrace as was the Hotel. It wasnt their fault that there was a strike but neither of them made any effort to minimise the trauma. We were evicted from our rooms at midday, this was not due to the fact that the rooms were needed as if we paid 70 euros we could keep them on. !! and although Thomas Cook knew the plane would not be able to even land until after midnight, we were still taken to the aiport at 8 O Clock. It was actually almost 3.00 am before we took off . No compensation, or even a meal voucher, which would have been handy as a cheese sandwich and small coffee cost £10 at the airport which was absolutely packed to bursting. Ruined the holiday.... I would never travel with them again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family