Sun Palace Hotel
Achousa Hotel(Faliraki)
US$28
TripAdvisor
1,729 results
All reviewswater parkwave poolsplash worldfirst choicepizzalife guardssnack baranimation teamlazy rivernext yearmain poolentertainment stagemexican nightgreat holidayfamily rooma la carte restaurantwater volleyball
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Cannot fault the hotel or water park, we stayed in a 6 bed apartment it was spotless &spacious cleaned & fresh towels every day, food in hotel & water park was really good we had 4 kids & they ate loads! Water parks amazing the staff are lovely & safety is brilliant highly recommend this hotel we didn't want to leave we've booked another splash zone for next year v happy

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We went here in june 2014 as a young couple (both 24). We absolutely loved our stay, the hotel is lovely the reception is very big and everything is well presented. We stayed in the part of the hotel near the waterpark which was lovely. Only comment i would make regarding the rooms is that the doors seem to have a large gap at the bottom of them. This makes any noise outside easily heard. A lot of people round our room were inconsiderate with regards to this early morning so we were often woken up. The room was lovely very roomy, shower was just free stand it had no holder which was a tad annoying. Maid service was excellent came every day clean towels clean sheets and always greeted with a very friendly face.
The waterpark was really good and a great thing to have as part of a hotel. The main hotel pool was a very good size and always clean, the animation team were really good and always got people involved. The food was really good. Breakfast great could have anything from continental to full english. Lunch was a bit repetitive and not amazing, we found that the food at lunch in the water park area was much better than in the main hotel. Tea was always nice. We visited the a la carte restaurant which you can go to once free of charge. Again the food here was superb and there was certainly lots of it! We tried many different dishes we had not eaten before which was nice.
With regards to falaraki as a place i wouldn't be going here again. It is very run down indeed there seems to be absolutely nothing to do outside the hotel. We didnt venture too far but what we did see looked very run down. It's fine when your all inclusive but as a couple we do like to venture out and go to a few bars and things but it was very quiet. We did go to a bar not far down the road which did AMAZING cocktails i think it was king alberts. They always had all the sport on too which was good :)
Overall a lovely hotel for the price

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cragbcfc
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We went, in May this year. What a great hotel.the food is excellent with plenty of choices.there is an outdoor cafe open all day after breakfast has been served.the new splash park is fabulous for adults and kids alike.you even get free towels fab sun beds and brollys. The entertainment team are top class ans so friendly we were there for a week and they new our names the kids as we'll and the games in the pool were fun.all together a great holiday I would recommend it to anyone who has kids. We will defo go back next year. Thanks guys for a great holiday.

Room Tip: Ask for pool view
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Marys22014
Reviewed 15 June 2014

The hotel was absolutely lovely. We went as a young couple (21 and 25) for our very first holiday together. We wanted the hotel as more of a base for us to be able to do activities nearby. The location of this hotel is absolutely phenomenal. Just walk out the front and turn right and bam you are in the midst of restaurants, bars and even fish spas! Everyone is so kind and welcoming and want you to come in, sometimes a bit annoying when you know where you are heading, but often they are happy to just let you walk through.

While the buffet food selection at the hotel was absolutely amazing, especially the salads - so fresh, and the fun little starter tubs they varied each night, we did want to eat out a few nights. We went to Pancho's mexican, which was absolutely delicious, and the waitress there was so kind and friendly. We visited the Jack Daniels restaurant which was literally one minute from the hotel - great cocktails, delicious food, and the owner is clearly so into his job, so it makes it a really pleasant experience. Our last night and the stand out restaurant for us was the Opera Steakhouse which is a bit further on. The food there was absolutely INCREDIBLE. We wanted it to be a posher sort of evening, and what was so nice is that clearly the waiters recognized this, and gave us an extra half litre of house wine on the house and some fruit. They really did make our last evening, and I would 100% recommend you finish your holiday here. All of these places were good value too. The A La Carte restaurant at the hotel was delicious. The selection was amazing. The service there was a bit of a let down, considering that you eat all the same things as everyone else, I would have expected it to be speedier. After our starters we sat looking at our empty plates for about twenty minutes, and I was waiting to order a drink when they would clear them. In the end I could see they weren't going to get cleared, so grabbed the attention of one of the staff and asked for a drink. I think she was the maitre'd and she made me feel a bit awkward when she was like, oh I'll get a waitress for you, and sent the bartender over, so I had to ask twice. In the end we didn't bother waiting for our pudding because loads of other people had just left after their main, and their food was still on the table uncleared, and we figured it wouldn't be worth another twenty minute wait for just some fruit and ice cream. However, it is worth the trip there because the starter selection is crazy delicious, and really gives you a feel for the traditional food in Greece. Just a heads up, we really did struggle to book it in the end. They say give 24 hours notice, and we assumed that would be the night before in the Erato restaurant. It isn't, and after asking 3 different people where we go to book, we finally were able to book in the Apollo (buffet) restaurant. So I would recommend just sorting this out on the first day if you want as a bit of a hassle. The lunch time pool bar in the water park serves an amazing array of delicious food, and I would definitely recommend eating there at lunch. Pizza is good, but hot dogs as well, and gyro meat. Delicious!

The waterpark was fantastic, and there was never a queue for any of the slides. Was difficult to get the rubber rings at times, as many are deflated, so if you have some maybe take them along with you, but again, it's not the end of the world. The lifeguards are amazing at what they do, and getting involved with us wanting to race on the varying slides. However, it is worth heading up the road to the larger water park. At 22 euros for the day it is amazing value for money, and the food there is also good value and delicious. The "adults only" relaxation pool just outside is not an adults only pool at all. Parents just let their kids run wild in it, and I never walked past it without children splashing about. This wasn't a major problem for us because we ended up doing loads of other stuff, but as a couple if you were going there thinking you'll have a place to swim without getting splashed or bothered by children - you won't! Haha.

Our room was very clean and nicely decorated. The only annoyance I had with the room is that they didn't have a place to actually hang the shower up, but that must be a greek thing I'm assuming. Either way we just hooked it through the shower curtain each time and it was like having a normal shower. Maids were really friendly and willing to wait when they knocked and we were still in there. Sadly, we had a late night flight at 3:00am, and we had to check out at midday the day before. As just a couple we were allowed a courtesy room for half an hour to "freshen up". This was a MAJOR disappointment, and a complete shame, because up until this I would have returned to the hotel like a second next year. We wanted to book it as late in the day as we could, so took the last slot. No-one had been in there for two hours before us, but it was disgusting. Eight towels soaked tucked up under the sink, no fresh towels for us. Dark curly hair in the corner of the shower, and the floor was soaking and major trip hazard. I wasn't expecting a five star clean room as a courtesy room, but I was shocked that they had clearly not even been up there to look and check it was reasonable. In the end we had to dry ourselves with our beach towels, so after showering we just covered ourselves in sand again. Not exactly what you want when you are about to travel! When we went down we complained and showed pictures to the receptionist. She clearly wasn't shocked, and I'm guessing this was standard practice for the courtesy rooms to be this unwelcoming. Her response was we should have taken our own towels. Bit ridiculous when clearly others had had access to clean fresh towels, and why would we have bought shower towels when the hotel had supplied us with them every other day? Clearly, at the end of your holiday they are just not interested. We did complain to our rep Emma, who took it so seriously and was absolutely lovely about it, and I felt a bit more reassured that our complaint and disappointment had been lodged and recognized. But my tip is to just not bother with the courtesy room! I can't even imagine how difficult it would be if you were trying to get yourselves cleaned up and children in a room that gross and slippery! In general, I do feel that the receptionists did let it down a bit. They don't seem to really love their jobs that much, and when we asked a few questions I felt like we were maybe inconveniencing them by being there.

Beach was gorgeous, the water in Rhodes is so clear and beautiful. We did a lot of water sports, including tandem paragliding and a banana boat safari from Pete's watersports. They ended up doing us some good deals, and I would recommend going to them. Pete was absolutely fantastic on the banana boat, and a little boy who was too scared to ride on the banana boat got to ride up with him, and he was so good and kind with him! Very impressed with them! So even if you have young children they will clearly do their best to cater for you.

Sofia's travel across the road is definitely worth the visit. We booked our waterpark tickets through them, and a boat cruise to Lindos, which was fantastic value for money at 24 euros each! We got to see the Acropollis, and the views were just to die for! The guys operating the boat were really friendly, and even came round at the end offering ouzo and donuts. Loved it! Honestly, this is a must when you go to Rhodes I feel!

I would recommend going to Jack's Bar - Aaron who is always outside is willing to beat any deal, and the people really do take care of you. Kostas the bartender was fantastic! This is opposed to going to the club DC where we went in there and had to sit for about fifteen minutes before being looked at by the bartender, when all I wanted to do was just have a look at the cocktail menu! Eventually another bartender did turn up, with a lot more flair and he helped to make up for it.

Animation and entertainment at the hotel was so GOOD. The guy doing the Bingo every night is fantastic, he splits between languages with such ease, and keeps the atmosphere alive. Wayne and Llemar were absolutely fantastic. Quite jealous that this is their job, they clearly love it and their enjoyment is infectious. They were excellent with kids, don't know how they had the patience, but clearly the children absolutely loved them. We didn't see that much of the entertainment to be fair, but from what we did see it was clearly varied and exciting, and everyone's having a great laugh. My boyfriend got involved in beer pong and watervolley ball on the first day, so it's not even just about the kids entertainment, which I thought it might be before I got there, so that was good.

The drinks at the hotel were so good, bartenders really kind. If you want a bit more of a posh drink it's worth going into the bar next to the Apollo restaurant, you can sit down and they bring the drinks over to you in glasses, and is nice to get away from some of the noise of the children (I say this if you are going as a couple like us). Cocktail selection is pretty good, but take a stroll down the road to King Arthurs - their frozen cocktails are so fruity and refreshing!

Checking in late at night is good, fine and smooth.
Overall, very good if it hadn't been for the last day I would have reviewed this all five stars. The courtesy room really did ruin our experience for me, totally let me down, especially the reaction the receptionist and manager had. I would definitely return to Faliraki, because the place is GORGEOUS, but I would maybe go for a bit of a posher hotel if I went there again as just a couples holiday. As a family, i would maybe consider going back to Sun Palace, but I would want confirmation that I can have a late check out because NEVER using the courtesy room again. First choice rep - Emma is lovely, kind and welcoming.

If you go here, I'm sure you will have a lovely time to be fair! I am sad to be home!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Bethy P
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Hotel was good with a really big room and was cleaned daily.
I thought the food was really good with a good selection every night. Snack bar in the water park was delicious and the service was fantastic!! We went to the a la carte restaurant one night of our stay and couldn't fault it.
I think my husband enjoyed the waterpark more than my son!! It was really well done and a great asset to have on site.
The thing that made or holiday was the animator team. They constantly tried to get everyone involved day and night. lemar was fantastic - really funny!! Wayne was on his first day as an animator the day we got there and I can honestly say he MADE our holiday. My son adored him!!! Wayne put himself out EVERY day and even came to say goodbye on his day off. My son literally hasn't stopped talking about him. Thanks guys!!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends