“Excellent hotel, lovely staff ....”

Amathus Elite Suites
Ranked #4 of 126 Hotels in Rhodes Town
Reviewed 29 August 2014

I stayed in a one bedroom suite with a private pool in August, with my son.
The room is bright, spacious and nicely furnished. I was a little bothered that the pool would be something of a novelty - how wrong I was. We used the pool almost constantly (although we did venture to the lovely Black Pool, beach and main hotel pools on a number of occasions) - fantastic fun!
Many reviews have already commented on the staff - and I must say that they were excellent - the restaurant staff in particular were warm, friendly, attentive and excellent at their job - the leadership shown by young and enthusiastic management was first class - well done.
We were on a half-board package and ate breakfast and dinner at the hotel on most days.
The one small misgiving I have in this otherwise wholehearted recommendation, is that the food served in the evening was probably shy of being truly 5 star, although I must say I thoroughly enjoyed their fantastic salads. The wine selection has some decent reds and not unreasonably priced for a 5 star hotel.
Room service menu is priced very reasonably as are the soft drinks from the mini-bar (I didn't use any of their alcoholic drinks, so cannot comment on their prices).
I made a couple of requests prior to arrival - and while they were non-committal on one aspect (probably not unreasonably) they delivered on both.
All-in-all, I believe the 5 rating I have provided to be accurate and deserved - my observation on the evening food have been included for completeness - I don't believe it's sufficiently significant to reduce the rating to a 4 - if 4.5 were on offer I'd probably have given that.

Room Tip: I don't know what the premium for an Exec Suite with private pool is - but it's worth findin...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Andrew180264
Theofilos L, Manager at Amathus Elite Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2014

Dear Friend,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor. It was a pleasure to have you staying with us. Your kind words for my colleagues are greatly appreciated and as you know a huge motivation boost for all of us. We really appreciate your comments about the food and we have already taken action in improving the menu offered.

Looking forward to welcome you back again and please do contact us if we could assist you with your booking.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed here a month ago for a week. Short transfer from the airport. Taxis from hotel had an extra charge 2 Euros i think but happy to pay that and not wander round looking for one, we did this all week rather than faff with buses that looked packed as taxis were quite reasonable.

Room was amazing and loved having a private pool with amazing views. Large bathroom with seperate shower and bath with shower over it and two sinks. Comfy sun loungers on private terrace. All staff really friendly. Food in the a la carte restaurant was really nice and breakfast was always good. Hotel grounds are all really nice and spa pool for elite guests was realxing. Loved the free nibbles and drinks in the reception area. Spa was really nice and had a good massage which i was late for due to a much overan day trip which wasn't my fault but the spa were so good and still did it even though was very late and they were closing so i was really impressed as still got the full hour.

Restaurants near the hotel were ok but all much the same. Rhodes old and new town both worth a visit with lots to see and do, ate at Romeo restaurant in the Old Town, very expensive for what it was but service was good. Most places looked very expensive so paying for location i guess. Danelias in new town was awful, prices outside not what you pay once sat down and service was terrible if you wernt a group of young women. Went to Falaraki in the day and at night enjoyed both, beach and sea nice, not too expensive for food and drink. Visited butterfly valley one day and this is a nice day out and walk down the mountain (after getting the train up) with lots of butterflies and waterfalls.

I would stay here again as it was so relaxing and a good location although was a lot more expensive than would normally pay for a week away but is worth it, Breakfast included, free nibbles and drinks in the day so really only needed to pay out for evening meals and drinks although think you could upgrade to an all inclusive drinks package which may be good if you spend alot of time at the hotel, free local food and drinks left in room most days and fruit on arrival as well as free manicure and pedicure per guest which i wouldn't have known about if i hadn't read through the pack in the room, i upgraded to a french manicure and pedicure and this was not charged for. The only let down with Rhodes for me was how windy it was which did get annoying as you couldn't read a magazine or book and your towel was always trying to blow away and when eating table clothes etc flapping everywhere, also i got very burnt even putting factor 50 on every half an hour.

Overall though really good holiday and loved the Elite Suites and the Amathus beach hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Abbie1984

Dear Friend,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and memorable experience at the Elite Suites on TripAdvisor. Such comments are very encouraging for all of us and strengthen our commitment for constant improvement of our facilities and services.

Once again thank you for your detailed feedback and looking forward to welcoming you back. Please do not hesitate to contact us if we could assist you with your booking.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

In Ixia you always have a little sea breeze which makes the hot weather enjoyable for all. We loved our room on the top floor of the Elite Suites. The hotel is a great place to relax by the spa pool or on the beach. Every day you can also participate to animation (like pilates, stretching, aquagym...) or just chill out.
It's a shame Ixia hasn't got the charm of Rhodes old town. So if you fancy to step out of your hotel and explore grab a taxi for 10 euros and head out to Limonia for a great authentic Greek food.

Room Tip: No need to pay extra for the plunge pool as you get access to the spa pool when you are a guest at t...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nnslotgar
Theofilos L, Manager at Amathus Elite Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear Friend,

I would like to thank you for your kind feedback regarding your stay with us. It is indeed a mice pace to enjoy the sun mainly due to the breeze we have on this side of the island. We are obviously delighted to be located in this unique location close the various major sights in Rhodes. Thank you for your comments about your room, our spa area and the beach.

We value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Fabulous customer service from all departments particularly the spa. Definitely enjoy a massage or two and as for the black pool - I want one. The food was amazing and I would recommend giving the lava cake a try. The only down side was nothing to do with the hotel but the ground service at the airport. We only bought a fridge magnet and had to pay £60.00 excess. The staff were only watching the scales and writing tickets for excess baggage. Everyone was having to walk across to the Thomson desk to pay the excess before being allowed to check in their bags. Very hard to get them to prove the scales are calibrated. Thomson reps just smiled and said we must have done a lot of shopping....uhhhhh no, fridge magnet only. They didn't seem too bothered. I really liked Rhodes and was considering returning. It is obvious when walking round how business has suffered in the economic downturn, but it would appear that the company providing ground service at the airport is being greedy and now possibly putting off repeat tourism. Maybe worth the manager putting it on his agenda for a meeting with the other hoteliers to monitor - this is bound to have an effect on business. We will not return through no fault of the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Friend,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay with us.

I am glad to read you had a relaxing holiday with us and that we could add to your holiday experience. I will take your comments regarding the ground handling to Thomson and hopefully we can improve this service.

Once again thank for your comments and looking forward to welcome you back.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

I would have no hesitation in recommending the Elite suites to all travellers!

Firstly the obligatory qualification : My wife and I are seasoned travellers, internationally and in the UK for both work and pleasure and do recognise the good from bad.

I booked through Sovereign and flew with Easy Jet. The Airport in Rhodes was busy but the Sovereign rep was able to put us in our taxi very quickly. Check in was efficient and very professional. Our room was 153 which was the highest level of the pool suites. Ok so:

THE VERY GOOD
Service: Leonidas leads a very good team and at all times they were able to provide excellent customer service, no request was forgotten and they were able to make us feel 'special' for the duration of our stay.
Food: I was pleasantly surprised by the choice and quality of the A La Carte available. The choice was broad and the quality of cooking very good, our favourite was probably the 'Lobster evening'

THE GOOD:
Room was exactly portrayed. Contemporary styling and spacious
Private pool was well maintained and warm, also a great size.
Balcony was not always in the sun but great for afternoon relaxing and watching the sun go down
Our room and the public areas were exceptionally well maintained and clean
All the rooms are orientated to have a sea view and whilst you can see and hear the road, noise is not intrusive.
Elite suites Communal pool and Spa area was great to relax and or take a (longer) swim
Bar prices were very reasonable as were the in room prices - the local beer was good and we also enjoyed very reasonably priced 'local' wine
The entertainment was fun, not quite Michael Buble, but good to enjoy your dinner to.
Location close to Rhodes town makes a day or evening trip essential to enjoy the wonderful historic city
Car hire rates are reasonable so we hired a convertible to drive to Lindos for the day

NOT GOOD
Nothing - we thoroughly enjoyed our stay!

Lastly I would also add that we stopped in the Lindos Blu for a quick drink and to 'compare'. The Lindos Blu looked a beautiful hotel and will be perfect for many travellers although my first impression looking over the pool area was that whilst it was lovely, it was also a little crowded for me……..

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Doctordamo66

Dear Friend,

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback following your recent stay at our Elite Suites by Amathus.

I was delighted to learn you had a fabulous experience with us due to the beauty of our facilities and settings, but mainly to the first class service extended to you by my colleagues. We strongly believe that people separate a good hotel from a great hotel and your comments only adds to this belief. It is with great pleasure that I will be sharing your gracious comments and your compliments with my colleagues.

Thank you again for recommending us to all TripAdvisor readers and travelers and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

When we arrived we were greeted with a drink and smile - although I personally (Jay) did not like it not being a fan of champaign. We were informed of the times for meals and breakfast, and informed that we could help ourselves to the refreshments and great nibbles in the private reception area.

We were shown to our rooms after just 2mins of waiting by what I regards as the best quality service manager you will ever come across - Leonadis. Greeted with a lovely smile and professionalism Leon showed us around the room and made us aware that he was always happy to assist.

The views were good and the pool was a lovely added bonus. The room was clean, airy and light. I would have however liked to have a picture in the room and music player dock. We were made aware of the DVDs we could watch on arrival and made use of this service - although the visual cable for the DVD player in room 146 is faulty so I had to pull the player out to get a picture (sorry I forgot to inform you). Mikole was very helpful assisting us to look for reviews of the DVDs for what we wanted to watch. Such a great receptionist and very friendly.

We ate every night at the Vakarola (if that's spelt correctly) and the food was good much of the time. Although it did fall short of expectations on two occasions but Leon and Stefanos made every effort to rectify any problems we had. Stefonos even insured our favourite soup was cooked the next day - what outstanding service. Leon also arranged for our wedding song to be played so we could dance - such a lovely thing to do. Leon also ensured we were treated with respect and in a dignified manner. We enjoyed having chats with him and will remember that great smile (and Friday of course ;).

Our first experience at the spa wad disapointing and we werent shown around. Me and my partner have just departed our honeymoon stay. The service has been outstanding from start to finish. I have left some useful tips below I hope you fellow travellers find useful.

All the staff were very friendly and we loved the great smiles many gave us each day, especially Leon and Signe. We felt comfortable munchin away at the nibbles and drinks each day in the reception area. The staff made us feel very comfortable and we found it important we could talk to them. The staff make this place what it is and they are such a great bunch.

For some tips, we found Lindos very hot and not as nice as Rhodes Town which is a must see at day and especially at night in the old town (trust me its great). Ixia where the hotel is based is a nice area. Take a left outside the hotel at end of the entrance and walk just 500+ metres to find lots of bars and restaurants. The better ones are a 15min walk away. There are two pool bars on the right side of the road - the first one you come to is easily found with a huge semi arch entrance, while the second which is more quieter is further along on the same side at the end of Rhodes shopping centre (not the kind you find in the UK). To find the second beach pool bar you will see 2 narrow long pink buildings which look new and some empty shops in the narrow open shopping centre - at the end is the pool bar and its amazing ( just go as it will spoil it if I tell you what its like).

For the cheapest mini market (and half the price of any others we found) take a 15 walk towards the pool bars and where all the restaurants etc are, keep walking till you see a cash machine standing on its own on the left side of the road and eventually just 1min after you will see the pharmacy cross sign. Next to the pharmacy is the cheapest mini market and a lovely friendly shop owner.

We would like to thank every staff member we met at the hotel, especially Signe and Leon. Happy Birthday Leon and make babies with signe :)

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Jay-Producer

Dear Friend,

I was truly happy to read that we managed to contribute to a delightful stay in Rhodes.

It is great that you were impressed by the beauty and the favorable location of our hotel, as well as you enjoyed the wonderful views of the Aegean sea. Also please allow me to thank you for your recognition of our staff for their efforts in making you both feel so pampered and special.

I hope that we will have an opportunity of welcoming you back to Elite Suites very soon.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

We stayed 10 nights on HB basis and the breakfast buffet was out of this world! Everything freshly made to order. Fresh fruit, juice, pastries, breads, cheese, omelettes, the list is endless. Dinner in the restaurant offered plenty of choice and the food was excellent.
The rooms are fab too, we stayed on the 3nd floor, the top floor is quieter, the view is better, and it's more private but I think that, it doesn't matter which floor you're on the views are great everywhere. The pool also had a hydro-type arrangement so that it could be either as a jacuzzi or we could swim against the current which was great excercise. The room itself was also superb – very modern with great facilities, the rooms where cleaned and maintained daily, except bed linen. We stayed in the hotel for 10 days and during our 10 day stay, the bed linen had not been changed once!
We had so many little treats - bedtime chocolates, bubbly, canapés, fruit platters which made us feel very special. But the biggest asset to Elite Suites by Amathus Beach are the amazing staff - so friendly, helpful and efficient - really do do above and beyond for their guests with such genuine enthusiasm.
Amathus Suites are situated just 4km from the Old Town, flat taxi rates operate in Rhodes and its 7 euros to Rhodes old town which is a must.
This may not be cheap hotel but you really do get what you pay for - and more!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Friend,

Thank you so much for your detailed feedback regarding your recent stay at our Hotel.

Your description as to what one can expect when visiting our Elite Suites is highly appreciated. It is great that you were also quite impressed by the breakfast buffet. I am sure many who plan to visit us will find your review a valuable source of information.

Although you were very satisfied with our location, staff and service, we also well noted your disappointment with our housekeeping. Please rest assured that we take all our guests’ comments seriously. We have put a great amount of effort, resources and care into developing an exquisite product. Nevertheless we accept that we always have room to improve and that we can benefit from the constructive feedback of our guests, your feedback is much appreciated.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience and hopefully we will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhodes Town
Atrium Prestige Thalasso Spa Resort and Villas
In Camera Art Boutique Hotel
In Camera Art Boutique Hotel
#2 of 126 in Rhodes Town

Been to Amathus Elite Suites? Share your experiences!