“Just a bit of effort needed...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Angela Suites + Lobby

Angela Suites + Lobby
Ranked #59 of 129 Hotels in Rhodes Town
Leeds, UK
“Just a bit of effort needed...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2010

We booked the hotel as part of a package with Olympic. The location is fine - seven minutes' walk from the Old Town, four minutes from the sea. The self-catering apartment we had was roomy, with separate bedroom. It was kept clean (except one day when the maid was, apparently ill). The swimming pool is a no-nonsense rectangle in which it is actually possible to do some swimming. We had a very enjoyable holiday.
BUT as others have intimated, there is a general air of 'not quite' about the place. Two of the four receptionists are fine, two need to go to charm school - and it might help the atmosphere if they brought their computer out to the front desk rather than hiding away in the back office.
When we noted that one bedside light was missing, and the knob on the taps which changed direction from bath to shower was missing we were told that this was because the fittings were Italian and they hadn't been able to get the spare parts - convincing????
There was shower gel etc. when we arrived - but when it ran out we were informed that you only got one set as a courtesy when you arrived (we were there for two weeks). Yet towels were changed every day - a practice that is increasingly recognised as unnecessary and costly to the environment as well as the hotel. Odd priorities, it seems to me.
We didn't try to cook in the apartment - we never intended to - but do two rings and no oven or grill seem like the customary facilities for self-catering? We didn't ask for the breakfast so can't comment on it.
Finally, we were not told in advance that there are no balconies at all on the fifth floor. We did have a view of the sea (just) and of wonderful sunsets - but it would have been nice to know.
It's really irritating that what could be a really good place to stay is only OK (if one is prepared to make allowances). It's hard to know whether or not one would recommend it.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2010

Stayed at Angela Suites Hotel at a price, read reviews previously, most of them accurate.
Hotel in fantastic location, staff could have been much more frieldly. Room great size with everything you could need, but could have been much cleaner. Balcony was in need of a clean - windows you could hardly see through them. Room apeared to be clean on arrival and was hardly cleaned during our whole 2 week stay. Big advantage to this is they provide clean towels daily (when cleaners attended 10 out of 14) and bedding was changed regularly but beds really uncomfortable. On a whole, felt safe and secure but for the monies paid standards could have been better and if returning to Rhodes Town would choose different accommodation.
5-10 min walk to beach and Tamam Resturant very near which was fantastic.
Hotel actually had a eerie unfriendly feel to it.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Madrid, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2010

I usually don't pay much attention to reviews in Tripadvisors when they mention how rude or "unsmiling" the staff at reception are. I usually just want a clean room and a good location. About the staff, I just ask for them to be efficient in check-in/check-out and in solving any problems that may arise. But now, I am going to make an exception. Never in my life I felt treated with so much unfriendliness in a hotel. I am talking about one of the 4 persons at reception that we met. I felt as if I was considered a despicable creature every time I approached this person (such a look of contempt), and this is not acceptable. I am sorry that any foreign tourist staying at this hotel will get an utterly wrong impression of the Greek people (the loveliest and most friendly people I have ever met, by the way). Facts: This is the only place in Greece where I had to fill the guest card myself. Not a big deal, but it was late at night, we were tired, and this person was not busy at all. Second, they have information about car rental. We asked about rates, and she just signaled with her head to a booklet next to her. No attempt to explain anything. Third: on checkout we wanted to pay with a credit card, and she said that "the machine is broken". And, you know, I did not believe it. It is fine a hotel that does not take credit cards, but if they say they do, they should take it, specially in a 3-star hotel, unless they tell me I can have a cheaper rate if I pay cash. And if they have a problem with the "machine", there are ways to charge it. I am sure that they would have charged my credit card if I had not shown up.
The room was comfortable, with a living room and a kitchen separate from the bedroom. Very good location. The hotel is ok, but after my experience I would not go back to this hotel if I have other choices.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank reinga
Athens/Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2010

We were on business trip to Rhodes and the hotel chosen is a family one as all rooms are junior suites and equiped with electrical appliances, dishes, cutlery and other cooking items useful for a short vacation.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
Wales
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2009

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Everything was way past it's sell buy date. The room we were incarcerated in was seedy and shabby. The AC did not work and none of the kitchen appliances had long enough cords to reach any available socket. We had to drag the table near to a socket and even then it was balanced precariously. The furniture was stained and uncomfortable. The balcony was only 18 inches ide so no room for chairs. Mind you unless you like looking at building sites and the backs of derelect buildings the view was horrible. There was a dead cockroach on the stairs for 5 days! The staff were friendly enough in that they smiled a lot. In some 40 odd years of travelling this really was the pits.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank mogiirl

Travellers are raving about these Rhodes Town hotels

Rhodes
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2009

Bad first impression of a Receptionist that really need's to go on a customer service course, in fact all the Reception staff need to ) terrible manner given no information no help with bags etc after a long time travelling, had to fill in a registration form given key to room which also was the card for electric in room no explination about that, room looked as if it was finished in a hurry, wires still hanging out of walls, occassional cockroach visited on very small balcony which could just about fit 2 seats on no room for a table. No welcome pack which is usual in self catering appts like a bottle of water and some fruit would have been nice. Fridge was like out a dolls house. Hotel need's to be finished properly, and staff need to be trained in customer care I have never in my life experienced such bad service. The credit crunch is here remember that Rhodes! plenty other places to visit.....

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank beachbumsRhodes
isle of man
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2009

what a find! The location was fantastic right in the middle of the town with beach, harbour and old town all only a few minutes walk.
When we arrived we were greeted by a very friendly receptionist who tried to help us as much as possible. We found our room and found that the toilet was not working properly so rather than waste any of our holiday time we were moved to another room straight away. We were at the back of the hotel overlooking the really nice pool (excellent temperature , clean and mostly quiet) and found it really quiet. The airconditioning worked great and having read reviews about Greek hotels we took our own bath plug but it was not needed. We also found the lack of curtain over the bath no problem at all and any water that did escape went down a drain in the floor rather like a wet room.
The free cakes bickys tea, coffee, and juice each morning was a nice treat in a self catering place and we managed to plan it so that we had cake at breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea. All fresh daily and quite tastey although my waist line is now suffering.
All in all I would love to return to this quiet, spacious, comfortable hotel.asap especially having come home the temperature here is about 20 degrees colder!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple