“Worst night sleep ever!! And really bad staff service!!”

Oktober Downtown Rooms
Ranked #67 of 126 Hotels in Rhodes Town
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel for one night before we fly back home as it's closer to the airport than in Pefkos of which we have been staying for previous 7 nights. We initially picked this hotel because it had very good reviews on Tripadvisor and also from the photos, the rooms look very modern and spacious.

The Location

Close to the beach and harbour approx. 10-15min walk.

The Room

Firstly when we got there, we didn't feel the receptionist was very friendly, we had to stand a few minutes before she even acknowledged us. We have picked to stay in a 'city view' room. When we got into our room, at first glance it seemed nice as it was shown on the photos with modern furnishing, nice bathroom and a decent size room. However, once we have started to look closer, we have found a few flaws. 1) The dressing table was uneven 2) The door of the cupboard which had the mini fridge in had not been fitted properly which resulted in the door hanging down on the floor 3) The handle was completely missing on the wardrobe so we couldn't even open or close the wardrobe properly 4) The air-con kept turning itself off. It would be on for 5-10mins and then it would just turn itself off and we had to manually turn it back on again which was very annoying when we were trying to sleep. We did not complain at the time as we thought these are only little things and we were only staying there for one night so we just let it go.

The service

Then we tried turning on the TV, after many attempts and looked around the TV nothing worked. So we tried calling down to the reception and again, whatever we pressed on the phone nothing happened. So I went down to the reception myself and notify our problem with the TV and phone, the receptionist said its probably something wrong with the remote control for the TV so she gave me a different remote to try and she said I need to press '1' to call the reception from our phone (which I've told her we did that but don't think she really cared). When I went back up to our room, we gave the new remote a try and that didn't work either. I tried calling down to reception pressing '1' as I was told, again nothing happened! So another trek down to the reception, this time she gave me 3 more different remotes to try! And surprisingly when I went back to our room, none of them worked either! At this point my patient was wearing thin. I once again went downstairs and said to the receptionist neither the TV or the phone seems to work in our room is there a different room we could change to and the response I got from her whilst she looked very annoyed and impatient was "I cannot do anything, I'm only a receptionist not a technician!" I was that shocked from the attitude she was giving me that I didn't even know how to react to her, shouldn't I be the one who's annoyed after having to run up and down the stairs 3 times and nothing have been resolved?! She then reluctantly grabbing few more different remotes and went upstairs to our room to look at the TV. Again none of them worked and once again she said to me and my partner that she's a receptionist and not a technician. So we asked her could we change to a different room and she said there are no other rooms as the hotel is fully booked. She then said on her way out she will call the technician to come in and have a look at the TV for us slamming the door behind her.
After 30mins the technician came and had a look and said the TV is broken and he said he will get us a different one. So we literally saw him went down to the reception, got a key, went back up into a different room and got us a different TV from a different room! So if the hotel was fully booked like the receptionist told us, surely he wouldn't be able to just go into someone's room and grabbed a TV as easy as that!
Me and my partner was just really disappointed of the service we have received, although the problem with the TV was resolved eventually but simple things like this should not have taken that long to resolve and the attitude the receptionist shown was appalling!

The Sleep

The worst night sleep ever pretty much sums it up! I normally have no problem when it comes to sleeping and I can easily fall asleep however, I did not manage to sleep a wink that night! The walls and the balcony doors are paper thin! We have chosen a city view room which was the biggest mistake we have made! The hotel is situated on a very busy street and on a very busy road and opposite some busy restaurant. If you want to have a good night sleep, I suggest you pick the pool view rooms, literally we could hear every conversation out there and every vehicles driven past and this goes on until 3am - 4am! We could hear exactly when someone was back from the night, from walking up the stairs, getting the lift up until they get into their room and shut the door behind them!

Overall, just really unhappy with the hotel. With the reviews on Tripadvisor we definitely felt really let down from what we have experienced especially after a week of staying in a different hotel in Pefkos (3*) which we really enjoyed and had no problems with.

Don't think I will choose to stay here again!!

Room Tip: If you want a good night sleep DO NOT choose the City View rooms!! Can't comment about the Pool...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WaiTing1406
There are newer reviews for Oktober Downtown Rooms

Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

The breakfast was simple and of high quality ingredients. Eggs, cheeses, olives, tomatoes, cucumber, ham, chicken, yogurt, cereals etc.

The rooms were modern, simple, clean.
Get a street/city view room as they look out onto an attractive quiet leafy Street overlooking grand old houses.

The pool views rooms have a bland view & everyone sitting around the pool & breakfast area can see up onto your balcony.

The wifi can only be used in the lobby and was always quick to connect & worked well.
The lobby has a very attractive, relaxing area to chill, facing out onto a leafy street.

All staff were polite & professional.

Location was perfect, 5 mins walk to city center & about 10-15mins from old walled city. The area is a pleasure to walk in.

This hotel is definitely worth the little bit extra if you're after a basic but high quality hotel during your stay.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The location of the hotel is simply great. It takes about 10 minutes to get to the old town/port where you will find the bus terminus for buses to Lindos, Filerimos etc. and about 5 minutes to go to the beach. The hotel is located on the street full of restaurants and the shops are located at about 5 minutes walk on the way to the old town/port. We had booked Double/twin rooms at the hotel. There are rooms facing the streets and the others facing the pool. Depending on one's preference one should make the request. The room was spacious with a large comfortable bed and equipped with all amenities. The room as well as the washroom was clean. The problem which we faced was that the door lock of the washroom was broken and hence had to keep the ventilator closed as wind would keep opening the washroom door. Another concern was the washbasin and its terribly small size. Every time we used it we spilled water on the floor. The balcony had chairs and table if one wished to relax outside. The breakfast was decent enough. However the elevators were a bit claustrophobic. The wifi is available only in the reception area. The staff is very helpful and try their best to attend to your needs. They arranged for a taxi as we had an early morning flight to Crete. Good value for money. Would definitely get back on my next trip to Rhodes.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 October 2013

This hotel has recently been refurbished to a high standard, and the rooms are kept very clean. The location is great too, for the new town shops, the old town and the beach. However the
downside is in the bathroom which is very nice BUT the worktop with the washhand basin is so small that there is only a very, very small basin, it's so narrow that when you bend over it to clean teeth you knock your head on the mirror. Apart from that I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank watd49
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Hotel is just renovated, looks very good, very modern lobby/rooms and good facilities. Unfortunately too much humidity in the (very nice) rain shower which ensures damage to the paint of the ceiling in the bathroom. Furthermore nice clean room.
Location was excellent, few minutes walking to the beaches, one minute to new city center, and 5-10 minutes to old city center. Both the old and new city centers are very nice.
In overall, good hotel and nice island/city.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 September 2013

On main bus route from town and only 10 minutes walk from Old Town and harbour . Bed huge and more comfortable than ours at home. Wonderful retreat from searing mid day sun. Swimming pool with shaded areas for sun loungers. Very close to many cafes and supermarkets. Outdoor Seating ideal while waiting for transfer pick up

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Janetsybil
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Great price for the service provided. We had stayed a night at the beginning of our trip and came back for our last night in Greece. We had requested a double bed and low height pillows and there they were, thanks a lot to the staff for paying attention to our demand. Also, both times we arrived early and were able to have our room anyway. The girl at the reception desk (both times the same) gave us good advice for dinner and booked taxis that were most reliable. Their breakfast was not bad for the price.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple