“Attention by staff to detail”

Best Western Hotel Plaza
Ranked #24 of 126 Hotels in Rhodes Town
Reviewed 30 November 2007

Recommended to us by another hotel in Rhodes which was
closing from 31st October for the season.

We experienced professionalism from the moment we walked in. Reception staff were helpful and assisted us to our needs.
Bar staff and restaurant staff had good work ethics.

The restaurant in particular, strived to please all guests.
Waiters were very attentive. The quality and variety of food, from the inclusive breakfast through to the 12 Euro International buffet dinner, were excellent.

The room and bed were comfortable and there was a harbour view.

There is also a large outdoor pool and bar facilities.

As the rate we paid was surprisingly reasonable, we are comtemplating a return visit to Rhodes and would definitely stay in that hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank spirosSydney

Reviewed 29 November 2007

The most rude staff I have ever encountered, the manager is never available and a website with false promises.

My wife suffers from arthritis, as such we cannot go away in the heat of the summer and wait until October. On this basis I still only ever book hotels with "In-Room Air Conditioning" as heat agrivates my wife's condition. Although the hotel's website promises the afore mentioned air con, the hotel had deemed to switch it off. They made no appology for this and simply had a like it or lump it attitude. I asked if they could supply a fan "No". They suggested sleeping with the door open which we tried and got eaten by mosquitos.

In brief, do not stay at this hotel, if you have even the slightest complaint you will be disappointed with their attitude.

Whilst I am still chasing a satisfactory resolution through Airmiles and the booking agent Octopus travel, beware also as no one appears to want to accept that lying on a website is a breach of contract.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family
9  Thank Honest_reviewer40
Reviewed 18 November 2007

The only advantage of this hotel is that its located in the center of Rhodes. I booked this hotel for a week and finally left the 3rd day. The 1st night the room didnt have a balcony and when I opened the window you could actually fall down and since I had my 5 years old son with me I requested next day a room with a balcony. I did get the room but it was worst than the previous one since strange sounds came from the kitchen. The food was tasty but no great variety. We were the only Greeks there and the stuff from the restaurant were giving advice to each other what to eat and what to avoid because of bad quality. That was it. We left and stayed at the Atlantica princess. Not recommended hotel.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank Spiros_Georgiou
Reviewed 31 October 2007

We returned from Rhodes on the 24th.Our taxi driver said that one more week and the season would be over.The Plaza we were told was one of the hotels that remain open all year.Our room was at the front and to get a view you had to be on the top floor,which we were.The room was well looked after,but you did have to pay for the safe.The pool was a good size and well cared for,they did say snacks by the pool at lunch time,but this was not always so ,one expects due to the changable weather we encountered.From the hotel it was only a few minutes to the harbour,bus stn. old town and other places of interest.A hotel to be considered on a stay in Rhodes Town.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank pyrford
Reviewed 28 October 2007

My first time in Greece was made all the more enjoyable by the service and quality of the staff at the Best Western in Rhodes. They helped with all aspects of my trip, provided directions, ordered taxis etc and went out of their way to ensure my time with them was an enjoyable one. I cannot complain about one aspect of this hotel, except that the breakfasts will make you gain weight!

• Stayed: October 2007
2  Thank tedtraveller
Reviewed 23 October 2007

We booked this in September for a stay of one week the following month, October 07.

The photographs on the Best Western website are pretty fair and accurate and the hotel has a lovely reception, bar and lounge area - granite and comfortable sofas all over the place! It is very well located within in the "New Town" of Rhodes. You can reach the Old Town and Harbour Area within 5-10 minutes on foot one way, the opposite way takes you up to the beach in a similar amount of time. There are also heaps of bars, restaurants and tourist type shops in the immediate vicinity of the hotel.

The room was fine and the two single beds comfortable. The balcony was pretty small but functional and the room had a large colour TV in it (with numerous free channels some of which were in English and some pay-per-view channels too). There was a mini bar which also doubles rather nicely as a fridge so a top tip is to pop out to any of the local shops, get your beers and wines in and chill them in your own room (don't forget a wine bottle opener!). There are glasses and a tray in your room too. One word of warning however, the lights and the electricity within the room are operated by inserting your key card into a slot on the wall as you walk in to the room. Obviously, when you leave, the lights, electricity and the air conditioning then goes off - so the fridge/mini bar goes off too! If you're only out two or three hours this isn't a problem but if you're out all day at the beach and come back expecting very cold drinks, you may be disappointed... We tried to get around this by asking for a second room key card from reception (which they gave us) and we left that in the room when we were out, just to keep the fridge going. However, that backfired a bit as the housekeeping maid kept removing it, possibly thinking we'd left the room and forgotten our (only) key. Never mind.

We were staying on a Bed & Breakfast rate and I have to say the breakfasts are absolutely first class. It's all buffet style and you help yourself to as much or as little as you want, including hot and cold drinks. There were trays of bacon, soft centred fried eggs, mushrooms, hash browns, beans, sausages, toast and a multitude of fruit, yoghurt, danish pastries, breads etc etc. There is a chef on hand who will cook you a pancake/crepe or omelette to order and they are really fabulous. Fill up enough at breakfast time and it (might) just keep you going until your evening meal...

We didn't eat in the hotel at night - not too many other people seemed to either. It looked a similar arrangement to breakfast insofar as it was buffet style, of course with different dishes on offer though.

One thing you MUST do is check out a fabulous venue 30 seconds from the hotel called "Boudoir". Turn right out of the hotel, turn right again at the first block and it's 100 yards on the left hand side, occupying a corner site. This place is fabulous for drinks and/or food and very very popular with the locals and tourists alike. Don't be surprised if you have to wait a little while for a table. It's recently been refurbed throughout and is mega cool without being ridiculously expensive. We couldn't get enough of the place....

The hotel pool area was ok - nice and clean with a pool side snack/drinks bar open from 10am until 4pm each day. There are a limited number of sunbeds. The main problem with this area is that it really didn't seem to get an awful lot of sun when we were there - the high buildings all around cast big shadows over large parts of this area at different times of day. It may be better in high season perhaps. The jacuzzi was a bit poor too - nice and hot but with jets so weak you couldn't tell whether it was off or on.

My only other (little) gripe was that it offers "WiFi Internet Hot Spot" in "every bedroom". But, it does not work in every bedroom. The WiFi router seems to be situated on the first floor as that is where the signal was strongest. The WiFi worked fine in reception and the bar (but not the restaurant or pool area) and was also fine on floors 1 and 2. Floor 3 was patchy and floors 4 & 5 have no connectivity at all. If you are taking a laptop or WiFi enabled phone and the internet is important to you, I suggest you ask for a room on the first or second floor. They also have an "Internet Corner" on the first floor which are two (very poor spec) PCs on which you can buy internet time for 2 Euros for 30 minutes or 4 Euros for an hour. I did manage to find out something interesting though - when you ask for a WiFi code for your own laptop or WiFi phone for use in your room, they give you a code that lasts for your full stay at the hotel and it's free of charge. My top tip is that this code ALSO works on the PCs at their Internet Corner on the first floor - so you don't need to buy the 30 or 60 minute codes... Bit naughty I guess but then the WiFi in my room didn't work as I was on the fourth floor so my guilt was minimal!

This was a fab hotel overall and we had a great holiday. We asked to keep our room on for a few hours on the last day as we had a late flight and they wanted 30 Euros for 5 hours - we declined. In fairness though, they let us use a room in the basement for a shower and there were clean towels etc in there so we're not complaining.

I suspect we'd seriously consider this hotel if we return to Rhodes.

Hope that's helpful.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Daft80sBloke
Reviewed 1 October 2007

Loved this hotel. I had requested a quite area for my room plus non smoking. Breakfast was really something, eggs to fresh fruit. Good walking distance to Old Town and other resturants. Icould have stayed there for a week, so much to do and see.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled solo