“Hotel is not a 5* but is okay!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Capsis Hotel Rhodes

Capsis Hotel Rhodes
Ranked #81 of 129 Hotels in Rhodes Town
Worthing, United Kingdom
“Hotel is not a 5* but is okay!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2011

We were very worried about staying at the Capsis Hotel after looking at so many bad reviews. In our party there were two adults and two children. On arrival we were greeted by two reception staff whom were very polite and helpful. We were allocated a very small room with a double bed and one single and had to ring reception to ask for another bed. The staff were very quick to respond and sent up a put up bed. However the following day we felt that the room was far too small to stay in for two weeks, so we went down to reception and asked to see the manager and were asked to come back later when he started work. After seeing the manager we were located to a family room which was fab with a lovely sea view. The hotel food is okay, the chefs work very hard to cater for so many people and do not get enough credit!! The day time and evening entertainment is very good, the animation team work very hard to please everyone, and work many hours. Lori from the entertainment team was fantastic with our two children! The hotel could do with a Refurbish as things are a little shabby in places, the bedrooms mainly. Furthermore the hotel was packed out and a little too busy for me but the children loved it. Over all I would rate this hotel a 3* and good value for money.

3 Thank Bong H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2011

My husband and I honeymooned here Sept. 2010 and they had a shuttle bus from the airport to the hotel so we got to enjoy our time there from the moment we stepped on the island. There was no stress. We were driven through local neighborhoods and got to see local life. We dropped off people at several hotels and than when we pulled up to our hotel we couldn't believe that it was the biggest one we had seen! We had no idea that we were staying at one of the best and biggest hotels on our side of the island. When we got inside we felt like we were staying at the Ritz it was so fancy. The hostess was very nice and even moved us from the garden view (which is not a good view at all) to the SEASIDE view!! We couldn't believe! An upgrade so far! We had to wait awhile for our rooms to be cleaned so she told us to stop by the lunch buffet and get something to eat while we wait. When we got to our room it was on the very top level (under the penthouse) and right in the middle of the hotel so we had the best view of the ocean. It was so beautiful and the room was amazing! I am used to staying in cheap run down buildings with no extra frills so for me this room was one of the best I've stayed in. We had everything! Lots of space, 2 beds, TV with channels, an outside sitting area, big size bathroom and glass french door closet. They key was this huge magnet that you had to carry around with you. It was ok but took up alot of space when we went out. The buffet every morning, noon and night was DELICIOUS! My husband is greek so we are both used to Greek food and this was great! We ate so much every meal and was always stuffed. But the good thing was, was that we did alot of walking so we made room for more eating for every meal! LOL The staff at the Restaurant was so friendly and always made sure we had enough condiments and drinks. Although there was one lady who gave us a little attitude because we sat at a table meant for 6 people. We just wanted to get a window seat and look outside and the restaurant was busy at all at that time so we didn't think it would be a big deal. The pools outside were so beautiful and spacious. You had to save your seat very early in the morning if you wanted to lay out. And the water in the pools were always ice cold so I didn't swim much at all. I mostly laid out and got a tan. There is also a tunnel underneath the road connecting from the hotel to the beach so you can easily walk to the beach without having to cross the streets. To walk around the hotel, use the pools and have the included buffets you have to wear this plastic wristband at all times. Sometimes we saw some locals swimming in the pool without wristbands and than leave real quick through the tunnel to the beach. LOL Great trip and CANNOT wait to go back!

Room Tip: Sea side is best. Don't recommend garden view!
  • Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank j0y2thew0rld
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2011

Upon arriving the hotel appeared to be exactly as the brochure, almost on the beach, grand entrance etc. This is where the similarity ends. The hotel is primarily a conference facility with supporting hotel function. The restaurants and general hotel layout are clearly changed to cater for all inclusive however all posters around the hotel indicate that the restaurants and bars should be operating as normal (same as the website). Not a big deal but should be pointed out before allowing a booking. The lifts should be considered potentially dangerous, I witnessed on more than one occasion breakdowns an people stuck. Plus if your not patient then you best make sure you like stairs as you will be waiting ages for one!! The room we had was a sea view room and lived up to expectation for a view however the bed / room was nothing close and the bed gave both me and my girlfriend a week of good interrupted sleep, seemingly the mattress was well past it's sell by date and had a very thin mattress topper to try and extend it's lifespan. Bathroom was ok hot water always on tap. Down by poolside the main pool is where the entertainment is every day, the lack of variation means you can set your watch by some yoga and water gym action. The water in the main pool is extremely salty and this meant we always used the mylos pool as this seemed more normal and didn't irritate skin or eyes. On the plus side you dont need to be down at 5am to reserve sunbeds as there are plenty. Overall I was disappointed with this hotel, having stayed in many 4 and 5 star hotels this one was found to be sadly lacking.

• Stayed August 2011
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank Pmyersuk

Travellers are raving about these Rhodes Town hotels

Bourne End, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2011

Myself, mum and two children aged 6 and 7 have just returned from a weeks stay at this hotel. I have to say I am well travelled and have stayed in many hotels but this has to be one of the worst! On the surface it is pleasant and I was nicely surprised when the taxi driver said that our hotel was a nice one.

The room had a double and one single bed - all the rooms are the same and fortunately ours had a nice view but some are dreadful. I immediately had to go to reception and ask where the fourth bed was - a 'put you up' bed arrived a short time later but then we struggled with space in the room which was small as it was. The worst part of the hotel along with the extremely long waits for lifts are the meal times. Never in my life have I experienced pushing and shoving like it!! My children were pushed out of the way whilst they were helping themselves on several visits to the dining room. We actually decided to only eat in the evening there twice and that was purely for convenience and time. The drinks at the hotel are terrible, not only are the queues to the bar constant, but the drinks are watered down or tasted disgusting!!!

I am not sure how this hotel achieved a status of 5 star!! I think it struggles for 3.

Do not stay here, Rhodes town has some lovely 5 star resorts. The Greek people are great and very friendly and I have stayed in Rhodes on 3 occasions, I would stay again but not at this hotel.

I hope this helps!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Missit19
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

I stayed at this hotel in september last year and have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I had already booked this hotel when I read the reviews and was horrified at all of the negative comments about the hotel and came close to cancelling all together! I'm glad I didn't!.

The hotel is very pleasant, the staff are helpful (even though the staff in the restaurant are rushed off their feet half the time). The location is great, just a few minutes walk down to the shops and restaurants on the sea front. There is a bus stop a couple of minutes away which you can catch a bus to Rhodes Town from which in my opinion is a lovely little town to visit (the old town).

The pool was perfectly fine although could probably do with the edges around the pool touching up. There is a walkway from the hotel to the beach which goes under the road making it easier to cross. The beach is fine although a bit harsh on the feet as there are lots of pebbles as you get to the water.

The food I found was not amazing but we never went hungry! Breakfast was great and had a lot of choice including pancakes and the usual english breakfast type food. Juice, tea and coffee available. Dinner was fine they did try to change a few things each day, one of the days there was lamb served and it was delicious! There were snacks available by the pool everyday (bread, ham, cheese) and icecream is included in the all inclusive.

Room was absolutely fine, no faults!

All in all the four of us that went had a lovely holiday and even discussed going back to the same hotel some time. The only thing that I would say that is bad aout the hotel is just that they could do with a few more waiters as they were all very rushed!

Glad I stuck with this hotel, if you have booked and read all the bad reviews, don't worry! it's not as bad as some people may say!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Katharine1964_11
Ipswich
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2011

Before going on holiday to Rhodes we were very worried when reading the reviews for the Capsis Hotel which were fairly disappointing and negative.
When we arrived we were taken to our room by a member of the hotel who explained about everything in our room which was lovely.
Shown to a table at dinner by a waiter who was friendly and courteous and who spoke to us everyday of our stay.
The food was well presented and there was plenty of choice and we have no complaints as we ate 3 good meals a day.
The hotel grounds are massive and have 2 very large pools with surrounding garden areas. There was no trouble getting a sunbed at any time of the day.
Don't take your own beach towels as you can pay a deposit of 5 euros each which you will get back at the end of your stay. Just dont lose the receipt you get given as you will need this to get money back.
For what we paid for our holiday we weren't disappointed and had a lovely experience and would return for a holiday.
Do not read the bad reviews.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Emma24Ipswich
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

Ok, my family of 4 (2 adults,12yr old and a 7 yr old) have just returned from this hotel where we stayed all inclusive. We paid £1190 for 11 nights. Having travelled extensively to many hotels as different as Benidorm 2* to Barbados 5* i was wise enough to know that for the price i was willing to pay i would not get,or this hotel would not be 5*!! So if you paid a reasonable/cheapish price and thought you would, DER!! So for those that are going soon , here's how it is.
RECEPTION; excellent service on arrival, was in room in 5mins, and staff were always very helpful (5*)
ROOM: had booked a room with a sea view (level 5) , ok room was a liitle tight with a double and two single beds but nothing to complain about, air con was fine,furniture dated but only wanted a room for washing and sleeping so no probs. Balcony bit small for 4 chairs but WOW what a view over the pool and sea> i could have sat there all day with a beer in my hand if my kids had let me! At night it was very quiet in the room,little corridor or road noise unlike many hotels i,ve stayed in.(4*)
FOOD: plenty of choice for breakfast,lunch and dinner.Possibly could have been more variation from day to day, but if you couldnt find something to please you then you should be going to Sandy lane Barbados and paying their prices. Food was surpisingly good considering some of the reviews i had read, those people need to get real! Also read that there was too much queuing...if you got to all the sittings BEFORE the last hour it was quiet and easy..peak hours were busy but they are in even the best hotels, so yet again it wasn't a problem to us, stiil enjoyed our meals! Staff were constantly cleaning tables and very helpful.(3*)
POOL; a 2 level salt pool and a freshwater pool, FANTASTIC! My kids couldn't stay out of them! At 6am to 10am every day there were a number of staff constantly cleaning, sweeping, jet washing the pools and the surrounding areas. Games and music most of the day and even a live band a couple of times.Areas where you could have a loud noisy day or a quiet restful one...Perfect! (5*)
SUNBEDS: Name me a hotel as big as this that doesn't have people that "towel" their beds in prime spots at 7am! Its a fact of life,get over it! I don't like it either but it happens!
There are enough sunbeds for a hotel of this size but if you want your favourite spot you will have to get your bum out of bed and join the "towellers"!! (4*)
BEACH: 30 seconds walk through the hotel tunnel to the beach (read some people even complained about that WHAT'S THAT ALL ABOUT?!) The beach is ok, mixture of sand and stone, 2 beds and a brolly for 8euros and is very quiet. The beach has a lovely breeze which means (for me anyway who doesnt like it too hot to lie in) you can stay there allday comfortably, and there is quite a surf whick makes the sea a bit more excitng (to me again anyway) (3*)
DRINKS: pool bars open at 10am, pretty much anything standard you want to drink alcoholic wise plus chose of four cocktails and a kids cocktail. Sometimes had to queue for a couple of mins but no great hassle in the sunshine. Lobby bar opened at 6pm, didn.t use this much as we tend to want a walk and a drink off sight in the early evening.(4*)
LIFTS; Yes the lifts are a pain at peak times (pretty much same times as peak meal times) but was never a problem as if a lift didn't come quickly we took the stairs! (3*)
ENTERTAINMENT; Went to this 3 times,was ok, depends what you are looking for in a holiday evening really. The Entertainment Hall lacked atmosphere,everything too spaced out and hall much too big (3*)
OVERALL: For the money we paid this was a excellent holiday. Admittedly we didn't stay in the hotel every lunch time and every evening to eat (problably missed 3 of each) but that wasn't because of the food etc, i'ts what i prefer to do (change of scenery/itchy feet/try different bars) so we had budgeted for that (and also a boat trip to Lindos). So if you are expecting a super 5* hotel, guess again, look at the price you paid!! But if you go there with a realistic attitude, like we did, you will have a fabulous time. My Family didn't want to come home and would certainly return there for the right price!

Room Tip: must have a FULL sea view!! Fantastic
7 Thank blackershouse
Sentido Ixian Grand
Sentido Ixian Grand
#18 of 129 in Rhodes Town
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,318 reviews

Been to Capsis Hotel Rhodes? Share your experiences!