“An enjoyable holiday in a 4 * standard hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Capsis Hotel Rhodes

Capsis Hotel Rhodes
Ranked #92 of 128 Hotels in Rhodes Town
Derby
“An enjoyable holiday in a 4 * standard hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2009

Although we were concerned after reading some of the reviews prior to spending a week at the Capsis Hotel we have just returned after a very enjoyable holiday.
On arrival we were upgraded to a front sea view room with pleasant views overlooking the Mediterranean across to Turkey. The room & bathroom were clean & modern. Staff were extremely courteous & helpful at all times
This is not a 5 * hotel but is certainly a good quality 4 * standard although I would certainly not want to stay there during July & August when it must get hectic in the dinning room - one of the staff told me that the occupancy rate whilst we were there was just under 50% at just less than 500 guests.
We did go all-inclusive & were satisfied with both the choice of food & the availability of drinks from both of the main bars & the dinning room
Rhodes town is terrific with its history & sights but I'm not sure about the rest of the island - we were very disappointed on our trip to Lindos
There is not much to do in Ixia outside of the hotel & the main road between the beach & the front of the hotel is very busy resulting in some road noise in the hotel grounds
The hotel provided entertainment every night although most nights this was by the male singer in the lounge area. We did not see any children's entertainment which is hardly surprising as there were only 2 or 3 children in the hotel for most of our visit
This side of the island is apparently always windy & if we did visit Rhodes again we would stay in Rhodes town
A pleasant relaxing holiday in a good 4 * hotel

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
st helens
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2009

just read review from Rainbow Sal . laughed out loud. just got back from 10 nights at capsis . first time at rhodes .first time all inclusive. most of her review was spot on . our rooms were over lookin sea floor 8. it was nice and didnt have the problem with drains. was very dear. was midgey heaven. food was good but cant compare as not been all incusive before. loved rhodes town would go back but maybe to other hotel.if you like Chris rhea youll love the man who plays piano in bar lol thats all he knows

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2009

My boyfriend and I returned from a 7 night stay at The Capsis Hotel last week and as I always read Trip Advisor reviews, I thought that I should add one myself, so here it goes.. I just want to give an honest review. I am not aiming to disagree with other peoples reviews but will be truthful about MY experience.

HOTEL
The Hotel itself is quite big and looks quite nice from the outside and if you hire a car/bike then there is a large car park just up the road on the left which is exclusive to Capsis guests and free to use. As you enter there is a large marble reception area with a concierge desk which always has a member of staff on. There are plenty of comfy sofa's around if you want to chill but you cannot smoke anywhere in the hotel apart from in your room or outside.
The hotel is NOT set right on the beach as you may have assumed by looking at hotels website, there is actually a busy main road that separates the hotel from the beach which is a nightmare to get across.
There is a total of 3 bars... 1 in the reception area, 1 downstairs and 1 by the pool but please be aware that you can't use the bar by the pool if you are an 'All Inclusive' guest - how stupid!! (I will come to All Inclusive soon). There are 2 resaurants, but again 'All Inclusive' guests can only use the one by reception, not the fancy one by the pool.
Downstairs there is a small dingy gym, a few pool tables and an air hockey table which seemed to keep a lot of children happy.
There are 2 pools - the main pool is SALT water (freezing cold!) which is sort of clean (mould around the edge) and a kids pool which is fresh water but when I looked at it, it seemed to have a greenish coloured layer on the top and was covered in leaves from the tree's! There is also a small kids' water slide. We never had a problem getting sun loungers as there are loads and lots of paved and grass areas around the pool too.

There is a big pond right by the pool which has swans and geese in, they are fenced in so you cannot go near them and my advise would be to take a lot of insect repellent as this pond attracts LOTS of midgies! I don't normally get insect bites abroard but by the 2nd day my legs were covered in them.
Another warning is about the hotels lifts! They have a mind of their own and it wasnt only me that had my arm battered by a lift door, many other guests commented on how long they had to wait for a lift and how aggressive the lift doors were (well, thats when the lifts were not out of order). At this hotel I saw many people running in and out of lifts as to not get eaten alive! lol.
There are toilets by reception although women have to use the disabled toilet as the toilet with a lady sign on the door has actually been converted to the room where people put their luggage on their last day, so this room is always locked. Please be aware that there are NO LOCKS on the toilet doors in the reception area. The actual toilet is a few metres away from the door so if you use them be prepared to shout at people who are trying to come in or wedge the bin behind the door!
Overall, the hotel itself is always clean (apart from the restaurant). The reception area is always spotless and we saw the marble floor being cleaned on a few different days. The hotel is easy to navigate around and the corridors are always being hovered.
I have travelled to many different coountries and realise that a 5* in Greece will not be the same as a UK or an American 5*. This hotel is a 3* in my opinion.

ROOMS
We arrived at 3:40am and thankfully the check-in process was quick and easy, the man on reception was polite and helpful. We booked a deluxe room through teletext holidays (as apparantly no standard rooms were available) but we think that having a chair and a desk in your room is the only 'extra' that qualifies the room as a 'deluxe' in the Capsis Hotel.
We had 2 single beds when we requested a double but as we don't like to make complaints we just pushed them together. The maids did a really job of cleaning the rooms and it was always lovely and tidy when we returned to the room. I did not have an ash tray in the room so had to use a glass but the maid noticed the next day and left me an ash tray. The bed sheets are fresh, clean and crisply ironed every day which is nice (but obviously expected from a '5*'). The bathroom was always clean but there is a drain actually in the bathroom floor which is connected to both the toilet and the shower. Every time I had a shower the floor flooded and shampoo suds were everywhere!! I believe all the rooms are the same as other guests that we spoke to mentioned this too. You then have to mop the floor and leave your towels to be changed as they get soaking wet and dirty.
As well as the drain situation, the bathroom also has a frosted glass DOOR so if you want privacy you have to hang a towel over it. These are the only issues I had with the room but as we got a sea view room (only paid for a garden view) I would not complain about these minor issues.
If you are lucky enough to get a room with a sea view like we did then be sure to watch the sunset over the sea one night as it looks stunning.
In the room, there is also a TV which has 1 English channel, an empty fridge and 2 plug sockets (only 1 of ours worked). If you are going self catering then your fridge will be packed full of all sorts of drinks (as you have t pay for them) but 'All Inclusive' guests get an empty fridge.

'ALL INCLUSIVE'
I write 'All Inclusive' in comma's as this is the worst all inclusive I have ever encountered. As mentioned before there is only ONE restaurant which all inclusive guests can use which is the Butlins-stlye mish mash of tables by reception.
You have to wander around for ages to find a clean table - this is not the waiter's faults, the hotel just need twice as many staff in the restaurant as they are constantly rushed off their feet. When you finally find a clear table, you have to wait for up to 15 mins for a waiter to come and take your order and then another 10 mins for them to go and get it - again not their fault but very frustrating.
If there are only 2 of you travelling like us then you have to take it in turns to go to get your food as the other person has to guard the table from being knicked!!
The food is the SAME EVERY SINGLE DAY and I cannot stress this enough, If you like variety then you will end up eating out for a few nights. I didnt want to eat out as we had paid to be all inclusive but there is only so much salad, spag bol and chips that you can stomach in 7 days.
The food always seemed as if it has been sat there far ages and was normally cold. They also had pizza squares on a lot as well but they were rock hard and cold. The desserts consisted of ice cream, cake or mousse so a bit more variety but still the same ones every day.
Also in the restaurant be aware of the other very rude guests staying at the hotel. I am not singling out any particular nationality but there are a lot more foreign people there than British and the majority of them have never heard of manners and I dont think any of them know what a queue is!!! Very infuriating - I know this is not the hotels fault but just information so you know what to expecct.
The 'All inclusive' hours are as follows:
Drinks 11am - 11pm
(make sure you stock up your drinks at 10:45pm as they charge a whopping 7.5 euro's for a beer!!!)
Breakfast - 8:00am - 10:00am
Lunch - 12:30pm - 2:20pm
Dinner - 7:00pm - 9:00pm
So overall you have 6 hours out of 24 hours when you can get something to eat.
If you are hungry in between these times then tough luck because all you have a choice of is a small bowl of nuts from the off the bar or self-serve ice cream which is only allowed between 9:00am - 5:00pm prompt. As the ice cream is self serve, all the kids are in there and the ice cream sometimes gets a bit messed up.

ENTERTAINMENT
- The same man on a piano in the reception bar every night, The pianist is actually a talented singer but he plays exactly the same songs every night and by the end f your stay you will know what song is coming next lol.
- A couple of nights there were a few dance shows in the news bar ownstairs for the kids but you need to get in there abut 6:00pm to get a set (or sit outside with the mozzies by the pond if you smoke)
- There are hardly any football matches shown in the hotel so if you want to watch a game then I suggest that you go to the bar 5 mins down the road (go left when you are on the main road). It is about 2.5 euros for a beer and food not too dear either, 4 euros for a burger and chips.

LOCATION
The hotel is located only 5 mins from the beach if you manage to cross the busy main road. The beach is all pebbles, no sand but the sea is a beautiful clear blue. The beach is quite windy but this was nice as it was really hot about midday.
There are a few shops along the main road that sell cheap souvenirs, Britiish papers and a bit of food..
If you are looking to hire a bike or quad then the best deal we found was literally across the road at the Rodos Palace. The owner is really friendly and you get a good discount if you are from the Rodos Hotel or the Capsis Hotel. We hired a 260 quad bike for 2 full days for 80 euros which was good compared to other places.
There is a bus stop located on the main road outside the hotel and it costs 1.5 euros to Rhodes old Town.. I definitely advise that you visit Rhodes Old Town as it is gorgeous, again it is expensive but this is the same throughout all of Europe.

To conclude, I may have missed some things out but I hope to have given you a good overall picture of what to expect when you stay at The Capsis Hotel. As I said before this is 3* standard in my opinion so do not expect it to be a 5* standard like the UK or USA etc.
It is a nice hotel inside but there are quite a lot of things that need to be improved before I would consider recommending this hotel. I would not personally visit this htel again but it was just OK for a chill out week in the sun.
Please dont hesitate to contact me if there is anything you need to know :O)

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RainbowSal
cheshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2009

just returned from 2weeks at the capsis what an experience. upon arrival we were warned by other guests that there was a virus sweeping through the hotel we were a family of five who all got the virus which meant that we were struggling throughout the stay to leave the hotel. this in itself was a problem as the pools were filthy the walk ways and footpaths around the pools were filthy, the public toilets were rarely cleaned and had abviously been frequented by guests with the same vius as us. meal times resembled a rugby scrum the food was adequate but very repetitive we were told that special dietary requirements would be dealt with this was untrue. the staff were pleasant but very over worked, the hotel room was at best 3* and NOT like the advertised photos. the bathroom flooded and the kitchen was manky, the so called antique furniture was more like ikea flat pack. our dirty balcony over looked a busy road and a night club which kept us awake until 5am. the never ending walk to the main hotel would have been dangerous for our children to do alone as the corridoors were very dark and the doors were open onto the street 24/7 we could hear the people in our joining rooms being sick. i felt sorry for the cleaners as everybody we spoke to had children who had been sick in bed. my final complaint is about the rep. who was rude, unhelpful, unwilling to meet us and constantly contradicted herself . i dont think i have ever met anybody who is so rude in my life and to make matters worse she called me a liar she told every family who complained that they were the only ones to do so. we tried to leave the hotel half way through our stay but were told that nobody could accomodate us as we were contageous. other families did leave the hotel and they quickly realised what a 5* should have been like. i would NEVER go to the capsis again and although old rhodes town was lovely i dont think i will ever go to rhodes again i honestly feel all the money i spent on this holiday as wasted.

Travellers are raving about these Rhodes Town hotels

Dorset
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2009

Feeling confident that we booked a 5* Hotel at a 5* cost we were looking forward to our family holiday. Upon arrival we were told we had missed dinner, which was true, but usually we had the option of a packed supper in other Hotels we have stayed in. Disappointingly this was not offered. We were shown to our room, as we travelled further from the reception our eagerness began to wain. Our family apartment turned out to be a dirty, run down very small affair with one bedroom (no air-con) and a room stuffed with 2 couches and 1 mattress, a DIY kitchenette, cobweb garlands and bathroom with dangerously cracked tiles. The smell was awful! We immediately returned to reception to say we were not prepared to stay in those conditions, and was told there was nothing that could be done until morning. We spent a miserable night on uncomfortable beds. Fortunately, first thing in the morning we were offered two rooms in the main Hotel which were tired and did not live up to expectations, but were 100% better than our family apartment which we are sure is actually staff quarters.
The pool facilities are good, however the childrens pool was very green and dirty from overhanging trees. Loungers and parasols are all ok. From the pictures it looks like the Hotel is on the beach but this is deceptive as there is fencing and a main road between meaning beach access wasn't as easy as we were led to believe. The restaurant was passable if you could find a clean table. The buffet was varied and we all found something we could eat, however it is somewhat of a scrabble to get to the food which is more a reflection on the other guests than the Hotel. The serving staff were not friendly but we were told that it was a good idea to tip one at the beginning of your All Inclusive stay to encourage better service. The lifts were another battle (when they were working). The doors are very viscious and there is a knack to getting in and out without being attacked. The location is ok but there is not a lot for families to do within walking distance. However, a short bus/taxi ride takes you to Rhodes town which is well worth visiting. The Reception staff were friendly enough although we were never made to feel very welcome, but they did see to any requests we had efficiently.
Our holiday didn't start as well as we had hoped but the Hotel did what it could to improve this for us. We hired a car and spent most of our time away from the Hotel and thoroughly enjoyed Rhodes. Unfortunately, The Capsis Hotel disappointed our expectations and we feel it is more of a 3* rating in reality.

ne.uk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2009

Stayed at this hotel with two teenagers and two other families. On the face of it looked very nice although our rooms were in the annex which seemed to be the staff quarters and overlooked a car park! Not exactly as shown on the web-site. However they were quite spacious so we put up with it. Food was really nice but absolute chaos in the restaurant trying to get a table, no organisation whatsoever! Swimming pools quite nice and always sunbeds available whatever time of day. However, this hotel advertised all sorts of entertainment and activities of which there was none, apart from a greek night once a week and a group of girls singing one night and some girls dancing another and that was it! Teenagers were bored out of their brains and littles ones had absolutely nothing to do. Table-tennis table had apparently been broken and was never replaced the whole fortnight although we were told it would be. No animation team, no organised games of any sort, nothing. This hotel has been totally mis-sold as an all inclusive, we could only use one bar while the other stood empty, pool-side snack bar never open at all, supermarket not open,drinks finished at 11p.m and I think they expected us all to go to bed then as they didn't like us stocking up on drinks at 10.30! All in all, a lot of disappointed families who did not get what they paid for.This was more like a full-board hotel and not at all geared up for all inclusive.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
windsor
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2009

Not a five star hotel by any means. Travelled with wife, sixteen and ten year old all inclusive. Trying to get a table at meal times was a riot, did find the food varied and enjoyable. Very hard working staff were great if you bothered to talk to them and show them some respect. Rooms were basic and having no safe was a bit of a problem, again cleaning staff were a pleasure and could'nt do enough for my wife when she became a bit poorly. Never had a problem with getting sun beds around the pool and because of the way it's laid out with trees plenty of shaded areas again no problem getting ice creams and drinks all day long. Biggest problem was lack of evening entertainment, only so many games of cards you can play. Beach was a big disapointment. Old Rhodes town was brilliant and only ten mins and 1.5 euros on the bus. All in all had a great time. Go back to Rhodes? Yes. Go back to Capsis? No.

1 Thank mcclenn
#26 of 128 in Rhodes Town
Villas Duc-Rhodes
Villas Duc-Rhodes
#7 of 33 in Ialyssos

Been to Capsis Hotel Rhodes? Share your experiences!