“Never again”

Ranked #226 of 453 Restaurants in Rhodes Town
Price range: US$18 - US$55
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Fish Tavern Nikos is famed as one of the best restaurants - fish taverns in Rhodes. In it's cosy marine-inspired premises, you can enjoy exclusively home-made food, made with fresh local ingredients using traditional recipes. Fresh fish, a great variety of tasty fish nibbles, juicy meats, salads and a wide variety of appetizers are made for you every day. Here, you will taste palate-pleasing flavours and creative proposals, garnished with love for our art. Come for the best combination of quality with quantity. Try our unique, succulent recipes, such as spaghetti with cuttlefish, special marinated salmon, steamed mussels Marinier, lamb fricassee with lemon and egg sauce, and much more!
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Mediocre food, service OK. When I offered a visa card for payment I was told then that they were not accepted and the owner demanded cash, Very Rudely!! Luckily my wife and I had enough cash to pay the bill. Surely this situaton should have been pointed out when we arrived. Never Again! Avoid!

1  Thank Norman0139

Reviewed 3 November 2013

There are several negative reviews below, and my experience was not as severe but overall not good. I had 2 items one of which was sour tasting. The "spaghetti" is not even spaghetti but was linguine in a strange tasting whitish sauce (not Alfredo). perhaps the taste just didn't suit me, but the ultimate was the day-old bread toasted. There is a charge for the pleasure of trying the bread. I agree with others below, avoid unless you have no options.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

we went there at oct 17,2013 . it was %80 full. i ordered some meals to the manager and inform him that my wife is diabet and she need an urgent fish soup which should be ready ind can be served in a minutes. he confirmed it, but waited over 30 min for the soup and some bread to safe her. he did not interested with our order, i saw that many tables coming after us, started to eat but we received nothing more.
i paid the bill and was told not to complain. we were customers and never seen such terrible reply from the boss and manager.
i never reccomend to go such a terrible place. we stayed 3 days more at rhodos, we ate in many places, they are all fine , except there.

2  Thank erikman
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I am not a fussy person and I have never written a negative review before- I can usually find some redeeming characteristic in just about any situation. I guess we happened upon Nikos on an "off" night since it was highly recommended by our B&B host.
It is a nice, pleasant, covered, outdoor tavern with quaint tables. The fast talking "manager" approached our table and invited us to view the fresh fish in the display case and was initially amusing. He was very animated, speaking loudly, "You want the best fish, 80-100 Euro a Kg., or I have the other fish, I can make anything you want?" This immediately intimidated us and so we politely listened and smiled, feeling like we were being hustled---I was hesitant to chose anything since there was no real price mentioned about a portion of the "good" fish, and why would I want the "other" fish? We escaped back to our table to peruse the menu. I decided to be safe and ordered the grilled sword fish and a salad which had a price listed. My husband ordered a shrimp dish with feta cheese. Our friend was obviously displeased and much more subdued as he took our order, especially when we declined the garlic bread. I also want to add that we
no longer received any further "attention", the service was minimal after we ordered off the menu and no one apparently noticed that we didn't eat most of the food.
The salad was HUGE and looked promising as it contained many veggies, small olives and chunks of bread, but it proved to be limp and very lack luster with little taste, no crunch to the veggies as though it had been prepared hours before...even the vinegar lacked flavor. We left it virtually untouched so we were really anticipating our fresh entrees. My husband enjoyed his shrimp, but was surprised that the feta cheese was part of a heavy sauce....tasty but not the light dish he expected. My swordfish was shockingly tough and chewy with a BITTER flavor--I left it after several bites- my husband agreed it was not edible. The roasted potatoes were gummy as though they were leftover, and the rice was tasteless and looked like a packaged "Rice-A-Roni" dish. I have to say it was the worst meal I have ever been served and it was the first time in my life that I left so much food on my plate.
So our experience was not very enjoyable from the start of the fast talker to the disappointing food. I would like to add that we were in Greece for 3 weeks and absolutely savored every other meal- breakfast, lunch and dinner were always above our expectation in every other café, taverna as well as with the street food vendors.

3  Thank LUchicago
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Horrible food and service. Worst Restaurant experience ever. In greek salad was more rucola than greek salad...moussaka had been in owen too far...lot of too far, it was burned and dry...somewhere else I have eated moussaka, it has been soft and juicy, not this. We will travel to Rodos many times( I hope) but neverever we will eat at Nikos restaurant!!!

3  Thank Leo R