“Best thing is location”

Ranked #15 of 127 Hotels in Rhodes Town
Manchester
“Best thing is location”
Reviewed 1 July 2011

We have stayed with my husband for 5 days in July, as the remainder of our holiday was in Falaraki. As many reviews here, the best of this hotel is location. From the airport, it is about 25min drive on taxi, about 25 euros, but we took a bus for only 2.30 euro each, that gets you to Rhodes bus station and the hotel about 15min walk from there.
It is right on the sea front and the rooms are spacious and big and clean. It is suppose to be a 5star hotel but decor wise it is not, however we are not bothered, as long as it is clean, after all, you only go to your room to sleep.
We went for a half board option, even though normally we go for all inclusive. But I am sorry, there is no way this is the standard of a 5star hotel, it is a good, solid 3 star. Breakfast is your normal eggs, cereal, and toast. But dinners were very disappointing. For once, there is only a one small table with salads on it and there are only 4 hot meal options available. There is no cooking in front of you, like we had in many decent 3stars hotels, and of course, fresh cooking is always present in 5 star hotel. On one night there was pasta, boiled cauliflower, few salads and potatoes for dinner-pure vegetarian option, no meat or fish whatsoever! I don't normally complain about food as I eat a lot of salads, but going all inclusive in this hotel would have been a grave mistake! There is no sweet table/deserts. After your main course, you can have ice cream, water Mellon, cake or creme brulee. But if you ask for more, you will be told that normally it is one desert per person.
So if you want to enjoy your food while on holiday, this hotel is not for you, as the choice is very small, it is easier to go to restaurants around the hotels and for about 10 euros, you will have a decent portion with salad, chips and all.
Don't forget your beach towels as it is 4euros each for a subbed which if you take for a full day is very reasonable, as swimming pool is tiny. It is always windy so at night take a jacket or a cardi.
I will return to this hotel but only if the price was right as the location is superb, otherwise, I would rather go to Mitsis Grand Palace.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank irenka1506

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Finnish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 28 June 2011

We stayed at the Hotel Mediterranean 6 years ago and loved the location so stayed there again. The location is great if you want to walk into town and to the old city. The hotel looked exactly the same as 6 years ago. The biggest disappointment was the customer service of the front desk staff plus the hair dryer was unlike anything we have ever seen before and did not dry our hair

The best change was free wi-fi in the lobby.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Vickimsea
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 12 June 2011

We loved our 3 days in Rhodes and made the most of the local area for swimming, eating and walking around wxploring. The Hotel is in a very convienient place, right oposite the beach, walking distance to the 'Old Town' and close to many cafe's & restauants as wekk as a short walk to the main shopping area.
The Hotel has a beautifully restored lobby area, reminded me of being on a ship. The rooms are a little older but a godd size and well appointed. the bed was very comfortable. The frige was packed to the max with mini bar goodies,(not that we were interested in them) but we were astonished to see a note adviseing NO personal items were to be placed in the fridge... I guess that's why they packed so much in, so there would be no room for my bottle of water!! I thought this a bit rude.
We found the staff to be proffessional, but not overly friendly.
If there was anything we did not like about this hotel, it would be the breakfast. The dining area is HUGE, and the reason being is that they have lots of bus tours using the hotel. So that is who breakfast is catered for, and always crowded. Overall we found the quality of the food at breakfast to be quite poor (this being our 7th hotel in Greece) compared to other hotels we had stayed in.
They did not provide pool towels, but advised us to use our bath towels and to call reception if we needed new bath towels.
Going by other reviews, we must have been the only guests to get free wiifi, I was given on request a password for 2 free hours, which was plenty for me. And I had no connection problems.
Would I stay there again? Yes I would, purely for it's location.

Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2011

Just returned from two weeks in Rhodes, staying B&B at the Mediterranean. MY wife an I we spent the first two days on the Beach very close to the hotel, then a day on a boat trip to Symi, then a day in the old town, then day on the bus to another beach, then hire car for seven days touring the island (very good, visiting many beaches, villages, sites etc), then back on the local beach and old town for the last few days).

Plus points for the hotel and holiday:
Very good hotel location;- close to beach, 10-15 min from Rhodes old town. In the evening we used the restaurants in the old town, also the new town close to the hotel (plenty of choice, some very good (e.g. Tamam, Koycos). Hotel location is the best in the region in my opinion.

Hotel toilets and shower easily accessible from the beach via a road underpass.

Sea view room;- very good. Full sun in the morning, shade in the afternoon/early evening.

Beach;- Good swimming. Safe. Lots of sunbeds. Regulated pricing throughout Rhodes (8 Euros/day for two beds and umbrella).

Attentive hotel staff (reception, bar, breakfast restaurant).

Very pleasant hotel cafee.

Hotel decor overall was good. Very clean rooms and hotel.

Use roadside parking for the hire car. No problems parking in May/early June, as long as you are prepared to walk perhaps 100 yds to/from your car.

Down sides:
Very few power points in the room. Those that were accessible were under the table, and something had to be unplugged (e.g., the fridge) to get access to a socket. If you are there for a while it might be worth buying/taking an extension lead.

Very little room in the fridge for personal items (e.g. own water, chocolate, fruit etc.)

Hotel room does not have a coffee maker, free internet, or iron. Reason given in written notice in the room is that it is against Greek law to provide electrical items (except hair dryer), and that these facilities are available via hotel services;- not sure how true this is.

Room had a very old style TV. No DVD or facility to plug in an external media player.

Dated room decor. Could do with bathroom makeover. (Note Room/bathroom/balkony were clean, tidy, and do not look shabby or anything like that).

Swiming pool are is just a token. It is a beach hotel.

1 Thank JohnGUK025
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 27 May 2011

Having travelled greece for 2 weeks, I arrived at this hotel at the end of my vacation.

I was completely disappointed with the service in this hotel. Everyone is very rude, and unwilling to help with anything. They charge you for every possible thing that they can (internet is 5euros an hour!)(which doesn't even work - and charges you for extra time that you didn't use) , Just to use the little coffee maker in your room is 1.5 euros per cup of coffee. The hotel is badly outdated. I would stay away!

Belgrade, Serbia
Reviewed 19 February 2011

I've heard all the best about this place as my parents were there just a few days before me. I went there alone searching for a perfect spot to have a solo vacation. I needed a room, half board and a beach, and I get even more.
Price was a bit high for conditions in Serbia, but this I can proudly say amazing hotel, had given me the perfect vacation. As I've said I went alone so walking around the city was extremely easy as everything is near by. The staff was very polite, on service all the time, kept my place for breakfast and dinner and for drinks at the bar after meals. I had a spotless sea view room (217). Rooms are spacious and perfectly cleaned with great balconies and big bathrooms. Beach is just in front of the hotel, to get there you can use the main entrance or the tunnel underground in which you have showers, bathrooms etc. Perfect choice if you're decent enough not to walk half naked through the lobby. Meals were enormous (and we in Serbia eat a lot), drinks were generously poured and once again, the staff were so polite that I almost cried on my check out.
The hotel has a private pool but it’s not for people who want to swim a lot. It’s small and perfect for kids and afternoon laziness. It's true that Internet is a bit expensive but I guess this is the regular spot for business staying and if you want you can bring your laptop to many cafes. There are like 5 of them in 2mins distance, including Starbucks, which have free internet access. Hope to come back anytime soon.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank BojanaRomic
Israel
Reviewed 13 February 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Mediterranean Sunday through Thursday for our honeymoon. The rooms are nice size, very tidy and clean. We came on a deal that included flights and half board. We got a room facing a different part of the hotel. We upgraded the room to a sea view for 15 euro a night. Not cheap but totally worth it for people who like waking up and stepping out into the sun and a beautiful view. The hotel isn't large and you won't find a spa or a gym but there is a nice sized pool (which was closed do to the weather) and a nice bar (Prices are a bit high). Plenty of sitting areas in the lobby to hang out and have a drink. Free wi-fi in lobby and a few computers to use for free. For internet in rooms additional pay is required. The food was good and the dinner was way more than anyone really needs to eat. The staff were friendly and helped us out. It's a 7 min walk from the old city and to get to the beach all you have to do is cross the street. The casino is a min walk away, for people who enjoy a gamble. (tip - don't go back for the third time: it is not a charm! :)) Car rentals can be found all around. Overall, A really good hotel for someone that doesn't like huge, too fancy hotels. Simple yet clever, friendly and has all you need.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple