“Waterview Room status - enormous disappointment.”

Hotel Mediterranean
Ranked #15 of 129 Hotels in Rhodes Town
sydney
“Waterview Room status - enormous disappointment.”
Reviewed 18 August 2013

The location is good, the hotel is good but don't waste your money on a waterview room. I entered my room to be confronted with overhead wires and a construction site of the building across the road for my waterview. I asked the girl at the front desk who allocated my room if it was a waterview because that is what I had paid for. The arrogant condescending manager butted in saying that he was the manager and she was ONLY the assistant and to talk to him. He told me i had a waterview room and proceeded to show me where the waterview rooms were located. I said where is the waterview and he said if I leaned over the balcony i could see a view of the water! I was told to come back the next morning after breakfast to see if I could change rooms. I didn't bother as our stay was only for another night. Some people we had met were staying in cheaper accommodation at the same hotel and had trees outside their room for a view. The pool is cold and the chairs are located on the side of the building between the hotel wall and the fence.

Room Tip: Definitely not a waterview
Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank cuddlymum

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
PerthWA
Reviewed 18 August 2013

While the location is great, we had a bad experience with this hotel. Our partial sea view room we booked, was a room with glimpses only if you lent over the balcony! The air con flooded the floor when on, and we were told to turn it off and use towels to mop it up. When we complained that this was not good enough, we eventually got another room at the back of the hotel overlooking the back of another hotel...at least this air con didn't leak! The staff were reluctant helpers. I wouldn't recommend this hotel, apart from a great location near the beaches.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Frizz1
South West
Reviewed 12 August 2013

It is the location that makes this a good place to stay ..... the views across the bay, watching the activity in the harbour entrance and morning sun rise made it a special place. The hotel is only a 10-15 min harbour side walk to the new town, add another 10 mins to the "Old Town." The front of house staff were always exceptionally helpful and cheerful. We found our room to be clean and comfortable and the bathroom adequately appointed without being "luxurious." Two things to point out - one: there is a dress code for dinner - we had been sailing for the prior week and had not realised the need for better clothing. Two: get to breakfast early!! oh yes, there is a $4 charge per sun bed even for hotel guests as the beach is not controlled by the hotel.

Room Tip: Sea View, Sea View, Sea View
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Huntress_10
Los Angeles
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Hello.
Me and my husband stayed at Mediterranean july 2013, I can recommend this hotel to everybody, very clean, outstanding service, location, unfortunately i couldnt get the names two gentlemen that was working at the reception, they were outstanding...If you ever visit Rhodes please stay at this hotel, you will not be sorry. Thank you again.

Suzan &Harutyun Alacahan

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank suzikal
Bucharest
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Mediterranean is a very good hotel with a good location, clean and quiet. Rooms are large, spacious balcony and beautiful view (front and side sea view). The food is very good, varied, but the restaurant staff is very bad.
The pool is small but adequate for a short stay.
The hotel is close to all the attractions, port and public transport in the city and beyond.

Room Tip: Front and side sea view
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Valentin974
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 3 August 2013

At first I was a bit sceptical about going to the Hotel Mediterranean in Rhodes after reading some of the negative reviews. I must say however, I was pleasantly surprised by the friendly attitude and smiling faces of the staff soon as we arrived. I couldn't believe some of the reviews were about the same place! I suppose it's like when you see a movie...everyone has their own opinion and view of it. I also think the individuals attitude has to be right, as some people are never satisfied.
The food was acceptable and plenty of it, but don't expect to eat like you do at home, as it could have done with a bit more traditional Greek spices, but then some people might not like that. Once again it comes down to individual taste.
The room was reasonable but I like clean....and I think it could've been a bit cleaner. The overall presentation of the hotel was clean and the staff very friendly. It helps if you have a smile on your face as well. The location is excellent and walking distance to the town centre and attractions.
Best beach of the journey we did along the coast line was definitely "Lindos" and only 15 to 20 minutes by car.....forget the bus on this one, better to hire a car to get down there.
Very relaxing and picturesque sitting at the outside area bar/lounge watching the vibrant people go by.
Would go there again without a moments hesitation.......beautiful experience.

Room Tip: Beach view always better but you may not get it. Make sure air conditioner works well!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Paul P
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 26 July 2013

The hotel has a very good location, but if I could go back in time with a time-machine I would definitely choose another hotel. The people at the front desk seemed a bit careless, I bought a WiFi-ticket so that I could access the wireless from my room, this did not work for some reason, and the fella at the front desk couldn't care less that I just threw 18 euros out of the window. So I still had to sit in the lobby with my computer where the WiFi worked just fine.. You should be able to surf on the internet in your room in year 2013 - at least with the price we paid for our room.

Our AC was pretty decent and we had a view over the ocean, the room was actually pretty small compared to other hotels I've visited in the past. The bath really needs some ventilation, when you take a shower it gets really warm in there.

Our maid did a very good job though, she was the star of the hotel.

The breakfast was a bit dull, and a small variety of different kind of food. It got very crowded very fast, their dining hall is a bit to small in my opinion.

At first my girlfriend thought that the hairdryer was just supposed to look like something from the 70's but after a little test-run with it, she was convinced that the hairdryer was the worst she had ever used. Bring your own. The beds felt like they were made out of stone and the pillows out of steel. I tend to prefer harder beds, but this was just to much for me.

The bartender seemed to know his stuff, we only bought a couple of drinks but what we got served was pretty good.

Haven't seen one sign about beach towels, but after a few days I noticed that some people got towels from the front desk. Had to pay a deposit for the towels which was okey in my eyes.

The hotel looked a lot better on the pictures, so I got a bit disappointed, the pool is pretty small and there is very limited space around it to relax and chill out. Go to the beach, even though if you are not a big fan of salty water and sand. The beach is really close and really nice. You have to pay 4 euros for a sunbed, but that's money well spent. My advice is to enjoy lovely Rhodes from another hotel.

This is a 2/3 star hotel, not 4. Peace.

Room Tip: 3rd floor and up with an ocean view is the best place to get a room.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple