“A perfect return visit”
Review of Cava d'Oro Hotel

Cava d'Oro Hotel
Ranked #76 of 126 Hotels in Rhodes Town
Reviewed 16 August 2014

My husband and I have just returned from our anniversary holiday at the Cava D'oro and have had a fabulous return visit following our honeymoon three years ago.

We prefer to stay at smaller, friendlier and non-commercial places like this. The hotel is within the walls of Rhodes old town and a five minute walk from the shops, bars and restaurants. Within easy walking distance of the harbours, museums, galleries, New town and the beaches, the Cava D'oro is an ideal location for those traipsing around Rhodes discovering its history and reliving its charm. Our room was clean, tidy and comfortable with aircon, toiletries, wifi etc. and fits in with the old town perfectly.

The courtyard is lovely and sitting there eating breakfast is the best way to start your day. Every morning we received a warm 'Good Morning' from Bridget and her daughter, my husband and I stayed for two weeks so we soon had a breakfast routine going! he squeezed the fresh oranges while I got the coffee and then we took our time choosing our breakfast from the varied selection. Cereal, yoghurt, honey, preserves, cheese, olives, meats, cucumber, croissants, breads, cakes, boiled eggs, biscuits = tough decisions ;)

Bridget and her daughters welcomed and looked after us from the moment we arrived from our late night delayed flight to the moment they arranged us a taxi to return to the airport. They are very friendly and accommodating and even went further when secretly arranging an anniversary champagne breakfast from my brother back in the UK! They added some delicious cakes to our celebratory breakfast too, best breakfast ever! :)

Thank you Bridget and everyone for making our stay so enjoyable and for smiling every single day as we walked into breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel was clean and beautiful! The German woman who runs and owns it was very welcoming and accommodating. She went above and beyond for us as did her staff. The breakfast spread was diverse and satisfying. I would highly recommend this hotel to all my friends and family. It is also very nicely located. Within walking distance of many sites, cafés and shops.

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank astrojaha
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This hotel is in a great location within the walls of Rhodes Town, but removed from the very touristed section. Within easy walking distance to all main attractions.

The breakfast was very nice and the freshly squeezed juice was a highlight. The service was friendly and cannot be faulted.

Beds were comfortable and the rooms were well decorated, very suited to the history of the town. Television, air conditioning and internet worked well. I recommend this hotel to travellers looking to embrace the history of Rhodes.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank LEOwens
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Great little hotel in the old wall of the city with tasteful furnishings tucked away on a side street. Close to the old town centre and the harbour complex with beaches close by. Comprehensive breakfast with lots of choices.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tim w
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Looking for plush, all mod cons, access to beach, full english breakfast ... then the Cava D'Oro won't be for you. Go to the New Town where you can find all those things. If however you want to be embraced by Old Town history and charm then this is definately a place to come to. Michael Palin stayed here during the making of Pole to Pole - and you can see why. It's an ancient building alongside the walls of the town. And has a relaxed informal atmosphere. Madame Birgid Mavrakis and her daughters are lovely - and made my father and I feel very much at home. The hotel has a rickety old world charm. Dad found the pull-out wardrobe in his room highly amusing and ingenious.The breakfast courtyard is delightful. And breakfast is plentiful and varied. Fresh orange juice you squeeze yourself, lots of nice breads and croissants, eggs, cold meats, cheese, cucumber, tomato slices. Many different preserves .. I didn't try them all. Breakfast kept us going quite happily most of the day! We hope to go back there next year - and will definately stay at the Cava D'Oro again. Madame Birgid is so kind and hospitable. Great that places like this still exist .. and good to support them.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank GiloUK
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

How cool to be staying at a hotel that used to be a storage building for the Knights of St John? My room was very clean and comfortable with a spacious bathroom. The breakfast was terrific with make your own fresh squeezed orange juice. A highlight was being able to go up on a portion of the wall. Great location.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Bodendo
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I loved my stay at Cava d'Oro. Everyone was warm, welcoming and thoughtful. My room was clean, charming and comfortable. The breakfast was yummy w/ lots of choices. It is located at one corner inside of old town next to one of the gates and just far enough away from the more congested and noisy areas. I arrived w/ a foot injury and I was kindly offered one of 2 rooms that were available as would meet my limitations. Also, the mattress was a bit too firm for me but it was immediately padded and was then perfect.

Thank you to everyone at Cava d'Oro who kindly welcomed me and helped me during my stay to make me comfortable and enjoy my visit.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo