“great position and service not for everyone maybe” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ibiscus Hotel

Ibiscus Hotel
Ranked #23 of 129 Hotels in Rhodes Town
Helensburgh, United Kingdom
“great position and service not for everyone maybe”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

Great spot if you like to be handy for beach and don't mind a walk for town. Service good as is the food except the vegetables which are so overcooked they can spoil your experience of the dining room. Not a good choice if you want a pool or a party time - there are lots of return guests who enjoy the quiet. Also not particularly geared up for children, but great for couples who like the genuine staff.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Sam m

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

Pleasantly surprised by just how lovely a stay we've just had. The Ibiscus was perfectly situated to explore the beautiful town of Rhodes. Room was comfortable, clean and air conditioned. Great to have fridge to keep all our drinks cold. Lovely helpful staff with nice buffet breakfast provided. Fab bar with yummy cocktails and good spot for watching the world go by!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rachel Y
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

A nice hotel and, all the staff were friendly and helpful from the cleaners to the reception and restaurant staff.
The public areas were clean and tidy. I booked a single room and was pleased to see it came with a double bed and was cleaned every day, the only downside was a very small shower which only a very small child would find comfortable to use!
The restaurant manager was very friendly and efficient as were his staff, the food was varied and on the whole very good.
Overall I enjoyed my stay and the Ibiscus Hotel was good value for money, the only downside was the shower and the fact that the hotel charges for Wi-Fi.

Room Tip: Avoid room 238 unless you are a dwarf!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Steve B
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

I have only just decided to put my thoughts on my stay at the Ibiscus last July on Trip Advisor. The Ibiscus was my favourite hotel, but this has been tempered by my experiences this last time. Some of these reasons, I confess, have nothing to do with the hotel. I developed Shingles on my face during the first couple of days and felt rough for most of the holiday. I had to see a doctor in the end who failed to diagnose the condition, although the treatment I received of antibiotics and anti-inflamatories were the right treatment apart from having no antiviral cream to rub into the affected area.

Getting on to the hotel. Prior to departure I e-mailed the hotel to request a room overlooking Palm Square. When I arrived the manager said there wasn't one available but if one did he would inform me and give me the option of moving rooms. He never did. I arrived after 2pm but had to wait over an hour for the room allocated to become available. When I got to the room it was at the back of the hotel on the second floor right in the corner... reserved I suspect for single guests. Why do some hotels treat single people so shabbily? The room itself was dated but comfortable enough. The maid came in every day to make the bed and change the towels when needed. However the bathroom was terrible. It was dark, some of the furnishings were damaged, nosiy when surrounding rooms were using their bathrooms and there was at times a strange smell.

On the plus side, the restuarant was as always first class, lead by Nico, who never forgets guests who have been there previously, his team were efficient and friendly. The food was varied and well prepared. The hotel is in a fantastic location and the arrival of Starbucks a few minutes walk away opposite the Orthodox Cathedral makes it even better.

I love Rhodes and Rhodes Town. It is a wonderful island and city. I will probably be returning in 2014 after visiting Corfu this year. However, I am undecided whether I will give the Ibiscus another chance.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank DavidG21
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

We have just returned from a week's holiday at this hotel.
I find some of the previous comments about this Hotel very unfair.
I agree that the Hotel needs a little TLC but is certainly not at all substandard. If the Hotel was a 5 star Hotel then you might have something to complain about ..but it isn't.
I did make contact with the reservation manager, prior to our stay and found him to be extremely helpful and professional.
The Hotel has an excellent team of cleaners who keep all areas clean and very tidy.
The reception and bar areas are attractive and comfortable.
The pool and sun bed area is clean and attractive.
So what makes a stay at this hotel so pleasant --- It is the staff, they are all so helpful, friendly and professional. Nothing seems too much trouble for them.
We had a twin room with a sea view and balcony. The room was comfortable, and had plenty of room to store clothing. The bathroom with shower had ample space. During our stay the room was kept very clean, and towels and bedding were changed regularly.
We were really pleased that we had air-conditioning as it was very warm during our stay.
We stayed on a half board basis and are so pleased we did. We had previously, 3 years ago, stayed at this hotel, on a H/B basis, and were concerned that in view of the situation in Greece, this time the food might not be so good ... but our concerns were unfounded
The food choice and quality was excellent.
Our waiter throughout our stay was Aaris, ( I hope I have spelled his name correctly) who we had met on our previous visit and of whom we have nothing but praise. Aaris is extremely professional and does try to make time, whenever he can, to take time to get to know you. Aaris and the restaurant team work extremely hard to ensure that all of their customers are well looked after. The Restaurant Manager is also very professional, friendly and efficient...we have never waited more than a few second to be shown to our table.
The Hotel and restaurant were very busy during our stay but service was always of high quality.
This Hotel is extremely customer orientated and we would certainly stay with them again

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Marilyn A
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

We spent a week in September 2012 at Ibiscus with halfbord and were not disappoited at all.
The room was spacy and clean - only the balcony was too small to sit on but as you have Rhodes town at your doorstep with all amenities, you do not need to spend your evening on your balcony. Another minus point would be the floor covers at 5th floor - the carpet was very wobbly and dangerous for people with walking difficulties. The lifts had also sometimes a life of their own. One of the lifts did not take more that 2 persons at a time, while the other (same kind of) lift took 4 persons. But these are minor faults and did not affect our holiday.

The breakfast and dinner at the self service restaurant were with plentiful of choice and delicious.
We decided to eat one night out in town but were actually disappointed and regretted that we did not eat that evening at the hotel. Rhodes has a lot of good restaurants as we know from previous years, but we just happen to choose the wrong dish at that particular restaurant.

The staff at the hotel were very friendly - except for one lady at the reception, she was bit of a grumpy type, yet polite.

The weather was really hot, the whole week around +30-+35 Celsius but lucky for us there was also the whole week a very strong wind which made it bearable to lie in the sun on the beach. I think otherwise we would have melted away.

All-in-all a good holiday and we would definitely consider returning to Ibiscus.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank marmaar
Newcastle-under-lyme, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

Just came back from a weeks stay in this hotel.This was my first visit to the Ibiscus although we had visited it to look around 2 yrs before. I cannot understand the complaints regarding 'tired and dated rooms' and silly comments regarding 'small baths' - most hotels below 5* usually have baths this size in Greece as showers are more popular! Our room was clean and spacious and beds and towels were changed every day. The staff were wonderful and made us very welcome - there was even a complementary bottle of wine in the room when we arrived. The lounge areas (around the bar) were clean, comfortable and air conditioned. Bar prices were remarkably low (and has stayed the same since our last visit in 2011!) with wine at 2.4 euros a glass. Whilst we only stayed B+B the breakfasts were the best we have ever had in over 30 years of travelling around Europe with freshly cooked food to suit most nationalities as well as a chef to cook fresh omlettes and crepes every day. The closeness of this hotel to the rest of Rhodes Town, especially the Old Town, was a real bonus. Whilst the pool was quite small it was more than adequate as we only saw 4 people in it during our visit and yes, there were not many sunbeds , but most preople headed for the beach across the road. We chose this hotel because of its intimate atmosphere and not for dozens of sunbeds - I think no mastter how many people are in a hotel there are never enough sunbeds if you cannot get one yourself!!! We will visit again in 2014 and we will NOT be disappointed.

Room Tip: We had a back sea view and this was lovely - we had no noise at all. Pool view rooms have very limit...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family