“perfect location for a short stay in old Rhodes old town”
Review of Spot Hotel

Spot Hotel
Reviewed 12 June 2010

I booked the Spot as I have been to Rhodes on many occasions but have always wanted to stay inside the old town.
The hotel is ideally placed for looking around the Old town. Obviously being placed as it is the rooms are fairly small as are the bathrooms but saying that everything functioned well. There is a very efficient little fridge in the rooms . The water is always hot what ever time of day you take a shower and the water pressure is really good. I have stayed in some places in greece where luke warm water comes out at a trickle !!
I did not use the Air Con as having the window open was mostly OK but I did get bitten by Mossies so beware. On the last night i decided it was very hot and did ask for A/C It does come quite expensive at 10 euros a night but it is also very very efficient . As the room only cost 50 euros a night which is very good value for the Old Town I was not complaining.
Obviously the rooms do not have a balcony due to the location of the hotel but the hotel has a lovely roof garden with a fantastic view.
The weather was very warm for May whilst I was there and I am a bit of a sun worshipper. Although Lee had not yet opened the roof garden as he was waiting for some new chairs to arrive , he opened it up for my benefit which I was very grateful for.
Lee also let me keep my room until 5.00 pm for no extra charge as my flight to Crete did not leave till the evening. I found him to be very helpful. On my first night I wanted some ice cubes for a drink and Lee even went down to the cafe in the square to get me some and delivered them to my room.
My only small complaint would be that the beds are very very low This was not a problem for me but if you have mobility problems you may have a struggle getting in and out of bed
Rhodes old town is a wonderful place to explore especially if you avoid the main tourist squares which become very busy during the day especially when the cruise ships are in. By night however Rhodes Old town is a very different place and walking its silent lamp lit streets you could almost believe you have stepped back in time.

To sum up I would definately reccommend the Spot hotel for a few nights in Rhodes Old town. For me, I feel more than that amount of time would probably be too long . Whilst I was there I think most people were, also travelling around . It is definately a place to stay if your travels involve staying in Rhodes.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 6 June 2010

We stayed at the Spot on our first three nights in Rhodes, before spending two weeks in Lindos. It was everything we hoped for: a great location, comfortable room, and very helpful owner who recommended a great car rental and other helpful information about the town and insights about Greece in general. We could not imagine a better place to stay in Rhodes Old Town

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EAZ53
Reviewed 27 May 2010

My friend and I stayed here for 3 days in mid May and would loved to have stayed longer. It is ideally situated in the Old Town which is a World Heritage City so well worht spending at least 2 days here (if not longer). What made the place for us was Lee the owner. A truly interesting unpretentious guy who is a mine of local information - just ask him for his favourite places to eat or hang out and you will end up in some places only the locals know about. The place is clean and well looked after and situated down a small side street within the city walls. It is only about a 10 minute walk from the ferry landing dock so is within walking distance. Ps the fish tank is a "must see".
Alan, Cumbria, England

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank alan5450
Reviewed 11 May 2010

Friends recommended this hotel to us for its value, location, service and friendliness. They were 'spot on' (pardon the pun). The Spot is a small hotel in traditional style just inside the walls of the old city of Rhodes close to Martyr Square. We enjoyed five very happy and relaxing nights here. Recently renovated, our room had very clean bathroom and shower, albeit small but functional; air conditioner (which we didn't use preferring to leave the shutters open to catch the cool breezes at night). If your window is facing the street the noises reflect the fascination of this historic city - everyday sounds of the market, bells tolling, locals passing. These stop at a reasonable hour and the city starts to come alive again around 10am. Bed and bedroom were extremely clean and comfortable and the room decorated in homely style with lots of art, traditional, solid and functional old style furniture - as you would hope for in this style of accommodation. The Spot gives a real old town experience with its quaint facade fronting cobble stoned street. There is a TV room, if you have need of it - but why bother with so many things to see and do in this fascinating city. There is another sitting room at the rear of the building for relaxing as well as a new roof-top terrace garden with magnificant views over the city and harbour - great at night or to sit for a drink. The location couldn't be better - within easy walking distance to shops, tavernas, the grand master's castle, street of the knights and archaeological museum. Continental breakfast (a small extra cost) was more than generous. Our hosts Lee and Eva were truly welcoming and couldn't have been more amicable and helpful. Lee was a wealth of information in recommending places to visit, including local restaruants where we sampled some of the best food ever in our travels. We particularly enjoyed the lay-back atmospere of the small family run Laganis taverna (try the mussels cooked in the oven with fetta and breadcrumb topping) and the more up-market Myrovolies (try the meat balls cooked in ouzo and the 'pirates purse' - mixture of slow cooked meat morsels tied up parcel style). All in all the Spot gave us everything we were looking for and more - one of the best all-round experiences we have had in our travels. Can't recommend this little hotel highly enough if you want to feel 'at home' in Rhodes.
Sydney, Australia

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mkh1
Reviewed 30 April 2010

Lee's hospitality started when we bumped into him while walking to the hotel. He helped with bags and asked us to settle into our room and check in when we're relaxed. We walked the old town for a few hours and then came back, checked in and Lee couldn't do enough for us - what a host! Breakfast at the Spot was plentiful and better value than any of the cafes or restaurants. The room was amazing, very homely and authentic but with mod cons like an ensuite, safe, aircon (if you want it, it was nicer just having the windows open and letting the breeze flow through) etc. We loved Rhodes, but it was more special with the tips, advice and Lee in general.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2010

The Spot hotel is a real little gem. We booked the Spot on the internet going on the pictures and great recommendations from other tripadvisor reviews. Lee the owner was extremely informative in answering the many emails inquiries i sent. When we arrived it was everything we had hoped for, the rooms were spacious and clean with opening windows looking down a cobble stone ally to the square. The ideal location puts all there is to do and see at your feet, but not in the noisy busy square areas, very quiet at night. The room also has airconditioning, clean private bathroom, a refrigerator and free WiFi.
Our stay has been outstanding and very comfortable. Lee was extremely friendly and helpful, pointing out the best sights and eating places. He would often wander down to the square with me in the early morning for a chat and discussing life in general. The spot is great palace and i highly recommend it to travellers wishing to stay in the old town in rhodes. It really is "the spot"

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank deano29
Reviewed 10 April 2010

My partner and I arrived in Rhodes for a 3 night stay, to be honest I found the 3 hour ferry trip from Kos to Rhodes more enjoyable than staying in the Spot Hotel. We booked a a few days in Rhodes as part of our whole 2 week Greece trip.

The owner was pleasant enough I suppose, not as friendly as any of the other Greeks we have met in our trips to Greece, but you can't have everything I suppose. The room was a reasonable size, the decor was a bit tacky, even by my standards. The breakfast was not that good, very limited food, the breakfast eating area was very hot, and very quiet, there were a couple of other couples there and we all felt awkward speaking, so talking was down to a minimum.

There was no bar in the hotel, so after an evening out, we ended our evening outside the room with a glass of wine and a beer on a balcony area and spoke to each other quietly as it felt awkward even attempting to speak in case we disturbed anyone else staying there.

On a particular evening out on the balcony the owners cat appeared and kept us company for a while. We returned to our room and the next morning the owner commented that we had let the cat in, which he prefers to be kept outside at night. As I was the one that closed the door and made sure the cat was outside, I was surprised to be 'told off', but not wanting to create a situation kept quite and just apologised. From that point on it felt very awkward staying in the hotel, and most certainly would never, never, never return to the Spot Hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple