“Highly recommended”

Ranked #56 of 127 Hotels in Rhodes Town
Oxford
“Highly recommended”
Reviewed 30 June 2010

I agree with all the positive comments in other reviews. The hotel is unpretentious, well located in a quiet street and very good value for money, particularly if you don't use the air conditioning. We were lucky enough to have the room with a small terrace outside and this, together with the roof garden, made all the difference. Lee, the owner, could not be more accommodating or welcoming.

Don't expect luxury but do try this hotel if you want a place to stay in the Old Town which is welcoming, comfortable and reasonably priced.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
Reviewed 30 June 2010

My wife and I stayed with Lee at The Spot for 9 nights at the end of May 2010, and were very happy with the hotel and with the service provided by Lee - in fact when the time came to go we were sad to leave. We had the rear room on the upper floor, which was excellent for an extended stay because it gave us a small outdoor area adjacent to the room on which to sit and read or have a drink, as well as to dry clothes etc. (Lee provided a clothes line). The room was comfortable, although the mosquitoes were savage and I ended up with infected bites - but I could have avoided this if I had asked Lee for access to airconditioning so I could shut the window!.
The location of the hotel is just as described by others - pretty much perfect if you like the romantic idea of staying in the beautiful Old Town, and in a part of the Old Town conveniently near to restaurants, shops and attractions.
Lee is a mine of information about Rhodes and gave us several good tips about things to do and places to see - one of which was Rodini Park, about 25 minutes walk away, which is not only extremely pretty but contains ancient tombs and Roman remains.
I can certainly recommend The Spot to anyone who wants good, comfortable accommodation in the Old Town, a friendly atmosphere and a genial host, all at a very reasonable price.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
GA
Reviewed 22 June 2010

I agree that the location in old town is perfect if you are looking for a quiet place to get a good night's sleep, and a great location for outings if you don't have a car. The rooms are an average size for this price range in Greece and Rhodes. Others have commented that the bathroom is small and this is an understatement. The shower base is no more than 1 meter/yard square but adequate hot water.
The negatives-
Ants were EVERYWHERE! Lee commented that this is common in Old Town but be prepared. He did try to spray the room to no avail.
10 Euro price for A/C is not included in room price.
Already mentioned the bathroom.

The positives-
The location- both quiet and convenient.

A general comment about Rhodes- we found it overly expensive (5 Euros for a frappe is outrageous and extremely poor quality food if you are looking for authentic Greek. Lee provided some recommendations which were ok but certainly not good Greek food.

• Stayed June 2010
1 Thank Karyatissa
Reading England
Reviewed 12 June 2010

I booked the Spot as I have been to Rhodes on many occasions but have always wanted to stay inside the old town.
The hotel is ideally placed for looking around the Old town. Obviously being placed as it is the rooms are fairly small as are the bathrooms but saying that everything functioned well. There is a very efficient little fridge in the rooms . The water is always hot what ever time of day you take a shower and the water pressure is really good. I have stayed in some places in greece where luke warm water comes out at a trickle !!
I did not use the Air Con as having the window open was mostly OK but I did get bitten by Mossies so beware. On the last night i decided it was very hot and did ask for A/C It does come quite expensive at 10 euros a night but it is also very very efficient . As the room only cost 50 euros a night which is very good value for the Old Town I was not complaining.
Obviously the rooms do not have a balcony due to the location of the hotel but the hotel has a lovely roof garden with a fantastic view.
The weather was very warm for May whilst I was there and I am a bit of a sun worshipper. Although Lee had not yet opened the roof garden as he was waiting for some new chairs to arrive , he opened it up for my benefit which I was very grateful for.
Lee also let me keep my room until 5.00 pm for no extra charge as my flight to Crete did not leave till the evening. I found him to be very helpful. On my first night I wanted some ice cubes for a drink and Lee even went down to the cafe in the square to get me some and delivered them to my room.
My only small complaint would be that the beds are very very low This was not a problem for me but if you have mobility problems you may have a struggle getting in and out of bed
Rhodes old town is a wonderful place to explore especially if you avoid the main tourist squares which become very busy during the day especially when the cruise ships are in. By night however Rhodes Old town is a very different place and walking its silent lamp lit streets you could almost believe you have stepped back in time.

To sum up I would definately reccommend the Spot hotel for a few nights in Rhodes Old town. For me, I feel more than that amount of time would probably be too long . Whilst I was there I think most people were, also travelling around . It is definately a place to stay if your travels involve staying in Rhodes.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
Truro, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 June 2010

We stayed at the Spot on our first three nights in Rhodes, before spending two weeks in Lindos. It was everything we hoped for: a great location, comfortable room, and very helpful owner who recommended a great car rental and other helpful information about the town and insights about Greece in general. We could not imagine a better place to stay in Rhodes Old Town

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EAZ53
Brampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2010

My friend and I stayed here for 3 days in mid May and would loved to have stayed longer. It is ideally situated in the Old Town which is a World Heritage City so well worht spending at least 2 days here (if not longer). What made the place for us was Lee the owner. A truly interesting unpretentious guy who is a mine of local information - just ask him for his favourite places to eat or hang out and you will end up in some places only the locals know about. The place is clean and well looked after and situated down a small side street within the city walls. It is only about a 10 minute walk from the ferry landing dock so is within walking distance. Ps the fish tank is a "must see".
Alan, Cumbria, England

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank alan5450
Sydney
Reviewed 11 May 2010

Friends recommended this hotel to us for its value, location, service and friendliness. They were 'spot on' (pardon the pun). The Spot is a small hotel in traditional style just inside the walls of the old city of Rhodes close to Martyr Square. We enjoyed five very happy and relaxing nights here. Recently renovated, our room had very clean bathroom and shower, albeit small but functional; air conditioner (which we didn't use preferring to leave the shutters open to catch the cool breezes at night). If your window is facing the street the noises reflect the fascination of this historic city - everyday sounds of the market, bells tolling, locals passing. These stop at a reasonable hour and the city starts to come alive again around 10am. Bed and bedroom were extremely clean and comfortable and the room decorated in homely style with lots of art, traditional, solid and functional old style furniture - as you would hope for in this style of accommodation. The Spot gives a real old town experience with its quaint facade fronting cobble stoned street. There is a TV room, if you have need of it - but why bother with so many things to see and do in this fascinating city. There is another sitting room at the rear of the building for relaxing as well as a new roof-top terrace garden with magnificant views over the city and harbour - great at night or to sit for a drink. The location couldn't be better - within easy walking distance to shops, tavernas, the grand master's castle, street of the knights and archaeological museum. Continental breakfast (a small extra cost) was more than generous. Our hosts Lee and Eva were truly welcoming and couldn't have been more amicable and helpful. Lee was a wealth of information in recommending places to visit, including local restaruants where we sampled some of the best food ever in our travels. We particularly enjoyed the lay-back atmospere of the small family run Laganis taverna (try the mussels cooked in the oven with fetta and breadcrumb topping) and the more up-market Myrovolies (try the meat balls cooked in ouzo and the 'pirates purse' - mixture of slow cooked meat morsels tied up parcel style). All in all the Spot gave us everything we were looking for and more - one of the best all-round experiences we have had in our travels. Can't recommend this little hotel highly enough if you want to feel 'at home' in Rhodes.
Sydney, Australia