“Never in a million years a 5 star hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mitsis Grand Hotel

Mitsis Grand Hotel
Ranked #10 of 129 Hotels in Rhodes Town
Pontypool, United Kingdom
“Never in a million years a 5 star hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2011

We were offered this hotel as our 5 star A/I hotel was delayed in open. Within an hour of being in this hotel, I phoned back to the UK to demand to be moved or flown back to the UK! The hotel claims to be a 5 star hotel, but I would say it scrapes by with 3 stars.
The staff were generally unhelpful, confusioned over what drinks we could have & staff tended to resent giving free drinks & we were made to feel like we were lower class guests. The hotel has two bars. We were turned away from one bar and told it was for half board guests only!! The only bar we could use was tiny & had limited drinks available. Lunch consisted of a tray of cheese or ham rolls and slices of pizza or hot dogs served in the bar, although the food did run out quickly.
The gym was tiny & we had to pay 6 euros to use it, The hotel has two salt water pools & 1 indoor pool which is not heated. There are very few sun loungers & the entertainment was awful. A old piano player reading from a lap top & couldn't sing!!
Evening meal was in the main restaurant, but if you got in late there was very little food left. We saw the saff plating up food for themselves each night even when the guest were still coming in and trying to get a meal. As a result of this terrible stay letters of complaint are on the way to travel agent & the Mistis group.
The hotel is however in a good location for exploring but thats about as good as it gets.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dee238_123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (449)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2011

You are made to feel unwelcome and treated like second class citizens on the all inclusive package at this hotel. There is a lovely piano bar at the front of the hotel which looks out onto the pool and the sea. However this is only a cash bar, the all inclusive bar is a 10 foot by 10 foot white cube room which would feel more at home as a mortuary, at the back of the hotel which is a
cafe by day and where the spirits
are hugely watered down. The food is strictly average, the corridors stank of paint as they were being repainted daily. It is supposed to be 5 star, it is more like 3 star.

• Stayed April 2011
3 Thank Mani176
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2011

Just booked for a week in May 2011, following a delightful week last September. Excellent location, not flawless by any means but certainly comfortable and very clean. Excellent choice in main dining buffet, very busy but never a problem. Some extremely rude and typically ignorant guests, treated staff in a shocking manner. I found all members of staff extremely hard working and absolutely lovely if you take the time to observe basic manners and take an interest in them and their conversation. Looking forward to returning to this fabulously eccentric hotel and hope to see familiar faces from last year. A joy.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GaliniWellness, Internet Sales at Mitsis Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2011
Dear valued repeating guest,
thank you for submitting your review-comment at Trip Advisor for our hotel Mitsis Grand Hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you again in beautiful Rhodes and offer you the best holiday experience!

Have a lovely weekend.
On behalf of the Management.

Stella Tsantia- Internet Sales
Nazareth, Israel
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2011

04/03/2011
after my visit i sent this massege to the owners and till now they did not care to replay me !!!!!!!!!
so i decieded to put it here so every one can see it .

25-02-2011

Dear sir the owner of the grand hotel in rhodse – mitsis hotels

My name Is rafiq I'm from Nazareth – Israel

I think that my duty to tell you how I feel at my visit to your hotel this week.

I was at your hotel this week for five days I would like to tell you about my imprison since the first night I can tell you that you have nice stuff and clean hotel .

I was so disappointed of manny things like the rooms because I change the room twice because of the beds it is very bad and hard you had to change it since a long time , after I returned home I had to go to the doctor because I had a pain in my back , also the mini bar it's broken and there is nothing in it , the bathroom if you use the wc it's not accepted to be without ventilator to take out the bad smell , also the hair dryer is broken there is no head cover from water for the lady , at the room usually there is letter papers and pen and a sheet of paper to write your opinion and to give it at the reception , there is many things is missing as you can see and Furniture is so old , one chair is broken the armchair is too old and there is just one in the room , the elevator is noisy and too slowly , the breakfast and the dinner is too basic for five star hotel disappointing .

At the hotel there is nothing to do I know it's winter but if you open you must do something to the gests because we did not came just to eat and sleep you should have at least one show or piano music corner a tv at the lobby any thing to kill the time because you know that the town is closed at this time of the year but you are open , the covered pool you have it's closed too !!!!!!!!! really there is nothing to do so why you are opened !!!!!!!.

Unfortunately I'm so disappointed of this trip at your mittsis hotels I'm feel like someone robbed me , I thought to come and spend a good time with my wife after a long time at work but you just let me down . I do not think that I will come again to one of your hotels again . I must tell you that I visited a lot of hotels five stars it's not my first time .

I can give you hardly 3 stars for your hotel .

Your sincerely .

Abo hanna rafiq

rafiqabu9@hotmail.com

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank rafiqabu
Mediterranean Coast, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2011

We stayed at Mitsis Grand for three nights in December 2010.

The lobby gives quite a first impression. It's massive, and with the Christmas tree and lights on display at the time, it was luxurious and sparkling. The front desk staff was pleasant enough.

Once we passed through the lobby, things went downhill considerably. The hallways, the rooms -- they were all very average and more appropriate for a three-star hotel. Our "queen" size bed was actually two twin beds pushed against each other, which was fine, but it had to be the most uncomfortable hotel bed I've ever slept in. The pillows were horrifyingly uncomfortable. Every morning I woke up with back and neck pain.

The bathroom was nice. It seemed newly renovated and clean. The TV channels were limited, but we found one or two English-language networks, BBC included. Buffet meals in the hotel restaurant were satisfying -- the food was good, and the dining area welcoming.

As for the hotel's location, we didn't really get to enjoy the beach because of the chilly weather, but it was beautifully situated next to a pretty, rocky beach with an expansive view of the Aegean. Walk just a couple of blocks and you're already downtown, and a few more blocks for some great shopping, like Zara, H&M, etc.

Overall, our stay was favorable. But I'm glad I was prepared for a three-star hotel after reading the other reviews.

Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Tel Aviv, Israel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2010

This is not a five star hotel, probably not a three star hotel. The "queen size bed" was actually two twin beds pushed together with separate bedding on each. The beds themselves were very uncomfortable and it was difficult to sleep. We were there in the off-season during a very rainy period and there were bugs in our room, but no bug spray at the front desk. In the hallways, there were towels strewn about to sop up the numerous leaks. Outside of the bedrooms, the hotel was actually quite nice. The restaurant was good, bar was enjoyable (but overpriced) and the lobby was very pretty (these are the photos they show you). The staff was very friendly and helpful (they did recommend a delicious restaurant and gave out maps). The indoor pool was in a carpeted room surrounded by dining tables and a piano and did not appear to be in use. Because we found this hotel through a package deal, it was very affordable and would be adequate if not for the bugs (which were probably just due to the rain). That said, it is still not a five star hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank nachjones
Paris, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2010

We were invited by my parents for a 5 day stay at this hotel with some of their friends. It was our first time in a 5 star hotel, and had a lot of expectations. None of them were met.

First of all the cleaning is just a shame : the room was dirty, the carpet was not properly cleaned, the bathroom had mold spots, we found dust on a lot of places, the furniture was just not working properly. There is no Internet nowhere in the building, except in a corridor next to the bar between the lobby and the elevators.

Then, the service is just a shame... We found ourselves coming back from breakfast into our room finding the household changing the towels, and found ourselves almost insulted because we disturbed her while she's working ! In the restaurant, we wanted to eat all at the same table for diner, but the waitress didn't want to add a seat at the table...

I like to swim the morning to wake me up, whenever I have a swimming pool close by, I tried that swimming pool only once, because it has more chlorine than water... We then wanted to try out the beach in the front of the hotel, but finally changed our mind when we found used syringes between the beach's stones.

Hint: find an hotel in lindos town instead, over there it can't be as bad.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Hotel Mediterranean
Hotel Mediterranean
#15 of 129 in Rhodes Town
Mitsis Alila Resort & Spa

Been to Mitsis Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!