“Nearly, but not quite 5 stars”
Review of Mitsis Grand Hotel

Mitsis Grand Hotel
Ranked #35 of 126 Hotels in Rhodes Town
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I must agree with other Tripadvisors that this hotel is not the 5 stars it is claiming. Yes it is a lovely hotel, grand by name and grand by first impressions, but it is the little things that don't make it the 5 stars. On entering the beautiful reception, spotless and so grand, we were looking forward to a really relaxing holiday, a well organised booking -in (even at 5 in the morning) a very clean room with a reasonable view- YES this is what we wanted, then off to breakfast, pleasant staff, a buffet to suit almost everyone with a good feed to set you up for a hectic day.We were on a half board basis and the evening meal was as good, no, better than the breakfast, a good selection of meats, fish,pasta,salads and sweets to die for, and so much choice I swear we must have put on a stone in a week. But then, the other essentials to make the hotel really good where lacking, the paintwork needed a bit of tidying up, the entertainment left a lot to be desired and the food that although was really good, was only ever warm and not hot as we wanted.
The location was, for us, perfect, a short stroll to the harbour and old/new town, shops and bars a-plenty just around any corner, across the road from the shingle beach, lovely clean sea ( a bit cold in April though). Perfect if you wanted to go further afield boats to Symi, Marmaris and others, a reasonable bus service, all in all a highly recommended hotel, absolutely perfect if the small issues could be sorted out.
We could highly recommend a meal in the Italian restaurant, after the scrum down of the buffet meals, the calm and peaceful ambience was a welcome change, the food was really good, not a massive menu list, but the food quality was superb and we had a hot meal for a change, Popi, the waitress was wonderful and attentive but not in any way intrusive. There is also a Chinese option which was always very busy but we did not frequent me not being into that food.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms are better as there is road noise, the road is not too busy but there are always...
6  Thank ericlowe
Write a ReviewReviews (2,537)

Reviewed 22 April 2012

Although I would not say this hotel was 5 star, nevertheless it was pretty good. Considering there was a great number of people there the staff still managed to be attentive and I would say they deserve a rating of 5/5. I dont usually stay in such large hotels so I do not know how it compares with others of the same size but I have no complaints of importance.
Food choice was good, buffet breakfast and dinner. Room spacious for two of us and spotless, cleaned every day. Nice 20 minute stroll to the Old Town and also bars and restaurants around the hotel area.
Only thing I would be concerned about is if I had children with me. No entertainment for them whatsoever.

3  Thank goesawayalot
Reviewed 20 April 2012

The Mitsis Grand Rhodes town is a mixed bag. Stayed 04.04-11.04.2012. Over a seven night stay my companion and I slept in two twin rooms yet viewed three.
First room, 470; we stayed in this room for three nights. It is supposedly a sea view room yet the majority of the view is a wall. The balcony never gets sun and thus the room is very damp, by day two our clothes were wet! The main room is spacious and the bed was the best quality I have slept on in a hotel – yet my companion and I did not get much sleep due to having a lift shaft and stairwell the other side of the wall at our heads. Additionally there was a youth club holiday group placed on the top floor above us – they were exceptionally rowdy and despite complaints to reception regarding their noise little was done about their behaviour. After three nights we could not take any more so we asked for a room change.
The next room we were offered was 381. This again was next to two stair wells and lift shafts – it was worse than room 470. It had a better sea view, yet was directly above the lobby. My companion and I sat on the beds and they instantly sank – it felt as if one million people had slept on the mattresses! We spent no longer than 15 minutes in this room. When we went to ask for another room, the receptionist – Katerina – was most rude, stating “Well, this is a hotel, you must expect noisy areas such as stairs and lifts.” I protested – part of the reason that I had chosen this hotel was because it stated on the website that ‘Every room and suite is an oasis of peace and quiet providing the utmost in luxury.’ The room that I had stayed in, and the one I had just viewed, was far from an oasis of peace and quiet! Katerina then offered room 337. (This room was available initially therefore why did she not offer it to us prior to offering the substandard room 381? She clearly knew the standard of all rooms yet had decided to try to give us an awful room.)
Our third room, 337, was a cut above the others. It’s near the end of a hallway so not many people walking past. It was much quieter, however the people using the bathroom next door could be heard – no doubt they could hear us too. The mattresses were much better. However the doors to the balcony badly needed repair and would not shut or lock properly – this was a long term problem because the carpet was clearly worn from the doors rubbing and there were stress cracks in both the wood and the hinges to the doors – it would only take ‘plane-ing’ about 5mm off the bottom of the doors and they would’ve shut easily. However, the view from the balcony was exceptional and the sunsets absolutely beautiful, sitting there with a Pina Colada was wonderful. This room changed our holiday.
The safe was 25 euros for the week, the towels (not that big either) were 20 euros to rent – pricey. Note the website states the rooms are large enough to fit 3 to 4 people yet the balcony is only designed for two people. The rooms are kept very clean with daily room service (although I know my pillow case was not changed daily because there was an inground stain in it which I had noted, I didn't use that pillow though). The bathroom layout is weird – why put a shower halfway down the long bath wall with the shower door at the end? It’s impossible not to soak the bathroom floor which turns it into a death trap. Some of the rooms have full shower curtains which stop this problem. The water pressure was good, the temperature was easily controllable and hot.
We went all inclusive and I suggest this option – if only for the drinks which if you had to pay full price would be from 6-7 euros per cocktail. The bar staff in the all inc bar were the best on site. Lovely people and very hard working. The all inc bar is very small and bare – no pictures on walls, etc. The piano player was quite repetitive. The house white wine is dry and strong but drinkable, the local beer is good, the cocktails were better – don’t expect any brand name drinks but they weren’t watered down. The food in the main restaurant was good quality yet quite repetitive – I would’ve got bored if staying longer than a week. People were seated exceptionally close together, don’t expect intimate candle lit dinners. Also, my companion is gluten intolerant – make sure you speak directly to the Head Chef to get gluten free meals. Despite informing the reservations manager prior to our stay the chefs had no knowledge of our dietary requirements.
I can imagine in high season that dining is a nightmare – we were glad to go out of season – one morning there was a huge queue for breakfast so we decided not to eat there. Also note, the guests staying at the Mitsis La Vita (hotel next door) are told to dine in this room too – indeed they have use of the hotel facilities – so in high season you will not only be sharing the facilities with guests in the Grand but also the La Vita (Note it may be better to book a cheap room in the La Vita to get the facilities of the Grand!)
The Italian and Chinese restaurants are well worth a visit – book early the day before to get a time that’s convenient. They are, however, only separated from the main buffet restaurant by a screen-they’re not separate restaurants. I saw the other restaurant (Castellania) open only once – for a Jewish group – probably to ensure they had Kosher conditions.
Order two drinks at once to go with your meal – or you’ll be waiting ages for a second one. We were informed we had to pay extra for Rose wine... which is strange for supposedly an ‘all inclusive’ option. (Also note when we ate out we found some very good, cheap, Greek wines eg; 13 euros a litre. Some of the best Rose we have ever drunk... so the stuff that the hotel is offering is very poor and must be exceptionally cheap!) We dined out one night – went to the Agalma, lovely food and great service within easy walking distance of the hotel.
One day we ordered lunch boxes – these arrived very late, and were not great quality, two sandwiches – ham and cheese no butter or mayo or salad, three pieces of fruit, a boiled egg and weirdly a whole tomato. No crisps, chocolate biscuits etc. Also, my companion wasn’t supplied with gluten free – despite us making it clear when we ordered the boxes. I kept her sandwiches to use to lure fish when snorkelling – slightly worryingly these sandwiches did not start to go mouldy after a couple days in the fridge... making one wonder how many preservatives are in the bread. Therefore we did not have boxes after that – preferring to eat out!
Neither my companion or I used the pools – the indoor pool is not heated unlike what Thomas Cook state on their website. I prefer to snorkel, the sea is just across the road, there’s some good snorkelling areas with a wide range of fish to see – the colour changing pipefish were especially entertaining. Although the best snorkelling was at Lindos, mainly because there’s a cove at the main beach and I was lucky enough to spot a young honeycomb moray eel relatively close to shore. Indeed Lindos is well worth a visit, the beach has proper sand, the Acropolis is amazing with wonderful views and the village is quaint if touristy.
The location of the Grand is probably its most redeeming factor. The new town is behind the hotel – you can walk to the centre within five minutes, there’s lots of shops and bars. The old town is 10-15 minutes walk away. There’s plenty to see and do within walking distance. We even walked up to the Temple of Apollo from the hotel. Note, if I stayed any longer than one week I would be inclined to rent a vehicle (to see more of the island because the new and old town can be explored within two days) however fuel prices are some of the highest in Europe approx £1.70 per litre!
Prior to arriving when I discussed the gluten free dining arrangements with the reservations manager I informed the manager that the holiday was for my birthday – the hotel did nothing to celebrate my birthday – not even a complementary bottle of wine!
Would I stay here again? Well, looking at the local hotels this is obviously one of the better ones in the area... if I could guarantee room 337 out of season then I would consider it, other than that definitely NO I would not stay here again. I’m sure the ‘presidential suite’ is 5 star, the rest of the hotel is 3 star at best. I will be uploading a video to YouTube shortly – channel starflowershel.

Room Tip: The rooms in the 'North East' block and level 3 or higher seem to be best - eg room 337.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank starflowershel
Reviewed 19 April 2012

just back from a wonderfull 9 night stay here the rooms where very nice, pool area lovely, great location but the best was the food we are very well travelled and stayed in many hotel's around the world and the food here was just exceptional 10 out of 10

6  Thank gregturkey
Reviewed 18 April 2012

locatyion of the hotel is great. you can walk to old city and to the town center. the room was nice sea view . we stay 3 nights and we enjoy. for sure we will back again,

Room Tip: please ask a room with sea view
2  Thank aron r
Reviewed 15 April 2012

We should have been staying in Kiotari but the day before flying out we were told the hotel was overbooked .Our choice was to cancell or take the grand in Rhodes !! On arrival we were given a sea view room on the third floor,rather tight with two children but that was what we had booked.
Our only serious problem throghout the week was a locked fire door close to our room(WE ALWAYS CHECK FIRE ESCAPES AND WOULD RECOMEND EVERYONE TO DO THE SAME).Despite being mentoined personally to the reception manageress twice during the first two days of our stay it took email to the rep and booking agent to give us access to the stairwell on our 4th. day.The escape stairs were littered with builders rubble and blocked by a heavy door.This was being cleared on the last day of our stay.We experianced similar minor niggles to othe guests with regards to-- indoor pool temperature/wi-fi reception and lifts.Oh and please guard yor pool/beach towel ther is a 20euro deposit on each (no refunds if it dissapears.) And 4euros a day is a heavy charge for the room safe.
By the way the hotel is spotless.Cleaning of the rooms and all public areas is to an extremely high standard.Most of the staff are brilliant .Buffet food is to a good standard and the italian resteraunt is great ,We found the portions over generous!
Value for money was tremendous
If the weather is not brilliant there is little to do for the kids (we were told by reception that the tennis court did not open before 5 o clock (most strange?)

Room Tip: our roon on the 3rd. floor was quiet. dispite being near the main road
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank latchedplater
Reviewed 15 April 2012

The hotel within 5 min walk from the main street (old and new) 3 swimming pool's sea view room has great view all the other has no view (hotel balcony) I came for check in at 1400 and got my room only at 1800, I ordered in advanced baby cot but only at 2030 it finally arrived to my room, no hot water, no air-con until 20/6.
The food is good ( the chainies restaurant is terrible the Italian very good but still very very slow, it took us almost two hours to get the food)
It all about location in this hotel everything else just not good
Wifi only in front of the main reception
They don't behave like 5 star hotel