“No complaints, would stay again”
Review of Mitsis Grand Hotel

Mitsis Grand Hotel
Ranked #7 of 127 Hotels in Rhodes Town
Barton-le-Clay, United Kingdom
“No complaints, would stay again”
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Having read the last few reports I see they highlighted many of the negative points. I can empathise with many but unless you have been used to staying in the Ritz or £300+ a night room only 5* hotels around the world, I except you can always get better but this is a Holiday hotel catering for many different nationalities and cultures and can accommodate 1000 guests a week with 400 bedrooms. As Mitsis hotels go this may not be their best, try the Alila or the Laguna or Blue Domes but it is not a terrible hotel. We were told it is about to be refurbished to bring it up to the Mitsis standard soon so some of the niggles may go away. Most European hotels do not have the same star rating as in the UK and you have to expect a lower standard than you might have hoped for given the rating. I am extremely fussy as other reports will show and I managed to find many good things to comment on.
Location is excellent as it is right overlooking the sea with beautiful sunsets in the evening as you sit on your balcony with a cold beer or wine and your loved one at your side, life doesn’t get much better... Air-conditioning could be better but was adequate and our room always felt cool when we returned to it so long as you leave the power card in 24x7 and keep the door on the balcony closed. In the common areas people leave the doors open and its difficult to keep a low temperature with the outside being in the upper 30’s C
I found 95% of the staff to be extremely warm and welcoming, the reception staff could try a bit harder they were often preoccupied chatting to one another and seemed a bit cold. The restaurant and bar staffs were excellent, checking you had enough wine and clearing your table and were very attentive, many hotel chains could learn a few lessons from here.
In the last 10 years or more I have always found the need to reserve my sun bed early, but we always take our place by 9.00-10.00 and then remove our towels when we leave so never leave an empty bed for half the day. I agree some people are rude in some much as they have towels on the bed before 7.00 and then turn up in the afternoon, that should be stopped, however last year we stayed in a different hotel in Rhodes, and I needed to be down before 7.00 to get any chance of sunbed. There always seemed a stack of beds that could be taken so personally I didn't see an issue but we were frequently by the pool by 9.00 anyway..
The drinks served on the all-inclusive basis were of a reasonable quality, although local brews they seemed of a higher quality than many I have sampled elsewhere. There was 'real' 7up on tap that was my personal favorite while sitting round the pool. If you had half board you could upgrade for 15Euros a day to all-inclusive, that seemed like a bargain as you could then use the themed restaurants at no additional charge,
When you think of how many people come the through the restaurant and how many different nationalities with different tastes and requirements I think they did a fantastic job. There was always management walking around supervising and coaching new staff members and the waiters in the Mexican and Greek restaurants looked proud to be working there. I doubt you would find many in the UK who would want to work the hours they did as they were there from early morning right through ‘till last think at night.
People complain about the Wi-Fi speed and cost, but that seems to be a standard price in many similar hotels and is frequently a gripe. I doubt the island has super fast broadband the same as the UK and much of the overall electric and IT infrastructure looks quite old on the island.
Location wise it is hard to beat this hotel. There are many restaurants and bars literally just round the corner. A 10 minute walk takes you down to the harbour area with boat trips and more restaurants and shops and the bus station close by. Another 5 minutes further you can get on the ferry to Turkey and haggle for some bargains in the Bazaar in Marmaris
The restaurant looked spotlessly clean and there was (to me and my wife) plenty of variation. We never ate the same thing twice in the week we were there, apart from once when we went back to the Mexican a second time because we had enjoyed it so much first time.
I loved the breakfasts as you could have a freshly prepared omelet with fresh cooked bacon and eggs and sausage while you waited. You could even of a freshly blended smoothie that was delicious and soon became a favorite each morning.
At dinner there were always 2 different soups and plenty of salady things if there was nothing else you fancied with cooked meats and several types of cheese. The deserts were delicious and I would have eaten the back forest gateaux every day if I could.
My biggest criticism was the shower in the bathroom as the bracket was in the middle of the bath and the shower door at the end so you ended up flooding the floor with water if you were not careful but with a refurbishment coming up I would hope this issue will be addressed soon.
Our fridge worked perfect and every day was restocked with bottled water. Some Mitsis hotels even give you beer, cola and lemonade too, but not this one.
Every evening there was some musical entertainment, the Il Devo group was excellent, other nights the singer was acceptable, not the worst I have experienced. The seating area was always very busy. It was all finished by 11.00PM
One thing I really felt needs praising was the Accessibility for the less abled. I couldn't help but notice how very wheelchair friendly it seemed, there was a group of elderly people with walkers and wheelchairs who could easily get around the hotel into the restaurant and down to the pool or to the bar. Gentle slops from the hotel take you down to the outside road and after crossing the road (a crossing is right outside) there was another slope that allowed wheelchairs and children's buggies to get onto the beach.
We were both very happy here and would visit again and recommend it. Wish we had booked two weeks.
Oh and I forgot to mention our beds were really comfortable too and looked like memory foam mattresses that on inspection looked brand new.
Several famous people have stayed in this hotel in the past:
Margaret Thatcher
Helmut Kohl
Gregory Peck
Anthony Quinn
Constantine Karamanlis
Mikis Theodorakis

And now us...

Thank you Mr Mitsis.

PS… To get from Rhodes airport to the Grand is 22 Euros each way. We booked a transfer though Travel Republic and that was much more expensive so in future would just pick up a taxi or pre-book one on the airport website.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a sea view and go All-inclusive. Even if you dine out its still a good deal
2 Thank wilnik

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Daventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2014

This hotel is very clean and looks really lovely when you go into reception. Check in was easy and quick. Our room was on the 3rd floor, the curtain was hanging off and the wall paper was peeling off in places - in one place it had been stuck on with tape! We had to ask at reception twice before someone came and fix the curtain - really not 5 star. We stayed for two weeks on half board - the food became very samey after a while although it was very good and fresh, plenty of fruit and salads always available, meat and veg was being cooked whilst you waited. There are lovely tavernas within walking distance and we went out a couple of evenings just for a change. Also the price of drinks in the hotel is expensive for those not on all inclusive and the men in our party didn't think much to the draft beer - they thought the pumps needed cleaning - we only had one drink whilst we were in the hotel - one was enough! The dress code in the evening is not enforced, they say no shorts but they don't stop anyone coming in looking as if they have just come off the beach - however many guests do dress up for dinner.

There were not enough sun beds for the size of the hotel - as usual people went down before 7am and saved them which didn't really bother us because we don't sit around the pool all day but when we wanted to go for a swim during the day there wasn't anywhere to sit. Also beware of the slippery surface around the pool once it gets wet - I saw several people slip up - it can be quite dangerous.

The location was great for going into the old town, about a ten-fifteen minute walk.

We had a good holiday in Rhodes - the hotel was a little disappointing as we expected more from a 5* hotel.

1 Thank Linandmike2014
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

I recently visited this hotel for a week with my mother and little girl who is 4 yrs old.
The hotel was brilliant and the staff are amazing very polite and helpful.
The main restaurant was nice lots of choice the only thing is I wish the would turn on the AC as it was very hot in there .
The Greek restaurant was my favourite we went there'4 times and it was nice to sit outside as it was very hot in August.
The pitta burger restaurant the burger was amazing really tasty, and the crepe bar was really good.

We visited the Italian which we all enjoyed so over all food was great lots of choice.

The hotel room was great had a brilliant sea/pool view defo ask to stay on 3 4 5th floor we stayed in room 358.

You have to get up early to reserve your sun lounger as they all get taken by 8am this wasn't a problem for me as I'm up early any way.

Entertainment is a lot to be desired just a local act while you sit outside having a nice drink

This hotel does not really cater for young children but they do find there own entertainment..

The cocktails was great I tried them all on the list my fav one was the San Francisco.

We had a great time couldn't fault it at all will defo be visiting again

Stayed August 2014
Reviewed 28 August 2014

This is definitely not a 5 star resort!..on the first day arrived late and got a room with no fridge working no TV working and a faulty air conditioning system- Health and Safety!... The reception staff were not particularly helpful or bothered and after complaining I got moved to another room. The food is repetitive and bland in the main dining area. I got a bad tummy on day 4. I won't be returning to this resort again.

1 Thank Flowers12014
Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed 28 August 2014

My girlfriend and I traveled to Rhodes in August of 2014 with the agency Ving. The Mitsis Grand Hotel had got quite good review's both on their website and here on TripAdvisor, so we had some expectations to the stay. These were crushed from the moment we walked in to the reception.

The receptionist who welcomed us, gave us a piece of paper to sign, then turned her attention to everything else than us, and just put a key on the desk when we had been waiting after finishing the paper. She was then on the phone, and did not give us any more information, or directions, and we had to find the way to the room by our selves. The hotel is quite big with two different sections.
This first impression of the hotel and staff only grew by the following two weeks.

When we got to our room, we found out that the fridge was broken. We told the receptionist, and they told us they would fix it. Nothing happened. Complained again the day after, and they "fixed it". That meaning, it was working for a couple of days. When we complained for the third time, the same rude receptionist as we met the first day told us that they would change the fridge. They did not...

I don't know if the different sections of the hotel is of different standard, but our room seemed quite old. Best shown in the bathroom, i.e. the height of the shower-head was not possible to adjust, an irritating problem for people higher than 1,80m.

Big pool-areas, but the amount of sun-beds is way to little in comparison to the amount of guests! If you want a sun-bed, you have to be by the pool before 9AM. Even tho the pool-rules stated that reserving sun-beds not is allowed, nobody from the staff took any action to prevent this. This resulted in that rude guests put their towels down before breakfast, then went into the city for a few hours to come back around lunchtime and then use their sun-beds. Meantime a lot of other guests try to find themselves a vacant sun-bed. QUITE FRUSTRATING! Either change your rules, or do something about it, because some people don't have respect for other guests!

The cleaning staff did a decent job on the rooms, but their schedule was a bit of. One day they stood by the door at 9AM, the next day they did not clean the room before 4PM. Could be nice with some consistency.

On the other hand, the location of the hotel is great and the breakfest-buffet is quite good.
(But keep away from the lunch and dinner buffet, go out instead, lots of good restaurants in the vicinity!)

5 Thank Sondre Å
UK
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Let’s be honest 5 star use to mean something special The Mitsis Grand was a nice well run resort Hotel but a 4 star at best.
There is nothing majorly wrong with this hotel but a couple of things need to be pointed out. On the plus side the Hotel is very clean, friendly staff, great location, nice décor in the public areas, large clean bedrooms, two good pool areas with bars and restaurants good evening entertainment,
The things that pull this hotel down may seem petty at first, but when you add them all up it niggles a bit.
We travelled as a family 2 adults and a 15 year old son on an All-inclusive package, We opted for a family room which was very nice but why did my 15 year old have to have a put you up bed! The room was large enough for another double let alone a single, and at 15 we paid full adult price, so a proper bed is not too much to ask. On the subject of beds, one of our party suffers from Asthma so we asked for a mattress cover (fairly standard now in most Hotels) all the gave us was a second sheet that was removed and not replaced every time the bed was changed.
The food in the Hotel was OK on the AI package we could eat in the main restaurant or book one night in the Chinese or Italian option, or eat at the poolside bars. The biggest let down was the food in the main restaurant it was very repetitive and quite bland. The food was much better in the pool bars and themed restaurants. A big pain for us was the 4 pool bars you had to sit in a certain section to get either Greek, Mexican, Burger/fast food, or Creperie if you sat in the wrong area or wanted to mix and match your order you could not. Other guests I noticed were also frustrated by this, and it could be so easerly resolved. The drinks offered on the all inc package were poor to say the least I appreciate you are never going to get top branded drinks on AI but these were the worst we have ever had on a AI package. The soft drinks were especially poor and the fruit juices (Powder mixes) were unpalletable. You could pay for branded drinks, but why should you when you have paid already!
To sum up a nice holiday in a nice hotel but 5 star NO! average 4 star at best.
Just a couple of precautionary notes the pool areas are absolutely lethal when wet I saw quite a few people slip over carrying food or drinks, and beware of the rooms next to the lifts noisy to say the least! Finally WIFI charges are extortionate and the free WIFI in the reception is as slow as evolution.

Room Tip: Sea Views are spectacular, Keep away from the lifts!
2 Thank 1961tony
TLV
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Usually i'm not writing reviews but this hotel was really great!
The location is really good. It is near a nice pubs and restaurants area and close to the modern city and the old city.
The room was nice, had everything i needed.
The service was really good and kind.
There was a big choice of drinks and food. The food was really good. Italian and Chinese restaurants-for those you need to order a place 24 hours before(the Chinese was really good). On the pool there were 4 restaurants, Mexican(was really good, specially the chili con karne), Hamburgers(was pretty bad), Greek restaurant and a deserts restaurant(the Krep there was amazing!).In addition there was a really good Pizza place near the pool.
The only thing that was missing is free wifi.
Really, the vacation was amazing and i really recommend on this hotel for those who want a good all inclusive experience.

3 Thank SagyMosh