“Very nice”

Blue Sky City Beach Hotel
Ranked #39 of 126 Hotels in Rhodes Town
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We were staying in hotel for 7 nights during october and it was really good. Rooms are big, clean and the view to sea is magnificent. Cleaning lady was very nice leaving us new towel every day, and cleaning the whole room and bathroom. On reception works one really nice girl with blue eyes and curly hair, she was the most helpful offering us good recommendations for restaurants and discovering the city. The only bad point of hotel is food. We had half board, breakfast was very good but diner.... There were some undefined cold dishes, some meat and pies every day. As i got, the make pie from the food which left from day before. There are spaghetti every day but the sauce was very bad.. If I would come again I would not pay for half board again, i think it is smarter to go out in the real restaurant and pay to eat what you wish. Head person of restaurant is never smiling, he could put at least fake smile.
Hotel is about 10 minutes walking from center.
I would definitely sty there again but eating just breakfast.

Room Tip: 429, sea view but crowded in the night
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lusee

Reviewed 19 October 2013

I've spent 7 days in this hotel with my family in August. To start with the good things: the location of the hotel is perfect, as the old town is cca. 10 mins walk and you can choose from several beaches in walking distance. The local buses taking you to the sights are literally stop next to the hotel. The downside is: the hotel is definitely not a 4* one, the bed linen and the blanket was extremely dirty upon our arrival, they've replaced it to clean ones, but this is not what you expect from a high quality hotel. Also we could not open the window of the room, or stay at the balcony at any point of time, as the kitchen aeration was below the balcony and we got all the odour. The shower cabine is the smallest ever I've seen in a hotel. The food has very poor quality. Breakfast choice is so boring that I hardly waited to go home and eat something healthy. The hygiene is questionable in all parts of the hotel, so watch you glass prior you pour anything to it. The staff tries to make up the experience, as they are friendly and helpful.
Overall try to avoid booking your holiday here, or be prepared that you will make a compromise for the good location...

Room Tip: Avoid 1st floor with non-see view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Judith N
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We have spent several days in this hotel, being on the vacations, and the overall impression was very good. The hotel is situated about 50 m from the city beach on the east coast. It takes about 7-10 min of walking along one street to reach the Old Town - there was no need for the buses or cars (just be careful and remember that some streets may have a limited place for walkiing). This entrance to the Old Town will bring us directly to the major museums and the commercial streets there, and then, you may wish to be lost in walking along the streets, shops, restaurants and ancient buildings of the Old Town for a week. For those who likes a jogging or fishing, it is just on the distance of a hand from the hotel, on the seaside. Other neighboring attractions are the oceanarium (which is not impressive, sorry) and the casino at the distance of 5-7 min of walking from the hotel, or the 3-5 min to reach the night club. In the hotel, the room was clean and well prepared, in time (and I have never seen the cleaning persons around; the work was done quickly and accurately). The staff members were really good; actually, I was getting the needed answer before finishing asking my question :-). Their English was better than mine, and their competence and friendly help are greatly appreciated. Another good point was the food, which was tasty, with the good options. There are two elevators such that there were no any problems with their overcrowding.
It is worth to take care about the choosing the room on the seaside of the hotel. I was not lucky with that (and I do not know perhaps it is also more noisy; our room environment was not noisy at all). The wireless Internet (or the use of the terminal) was available for a price proportional to one Euro for the half hour (which was affordable for checking the -emails and news-papers). It seems to me that it is a typical situation with the Internet option in other hotels in the Rhodes City or even in other villages of the island (and the free Internet in the city itself was not very successful with me). Somehow strange was the policy of the hotel to lock the mini-bar a day prior leaving but it did not really bother us.
In addition, there is a small (and convenient) mini- (really mini) shop attached to the hotel. The TV in the room was indeed a small one with a very limited set of the freely available programs but...we did not need it on the vacations.
In our time, the A/C was generally off, but anyway, we had no problem with the weather at all, and the room was well air-ventilated. So, to conclude, it was a nice stay in the hotel. And, in the end, the city itself is very pleasant, people are friendly and helpful, and all the atmosphere seems to be relaxing and secure. We did not see policemen but also never have seen a reason for them to be around. For those liking to take the short sea trips to the islands around, it is worth to consider that the prices fdr the trips may change meaningfully between different agents, found in the harbor and also in the old town - it may be worth of checking.

Room Tip: check the option with a room looking at the sea
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mtraveller_10
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We stayed at the Blue Sky Hotel Rhodes Town in September 2013 for one week which was long enough to suffer poor food, hygiene, customer service and overall apathy. I asked for a softer mattress after the first night and was told certainly this will be attended to straight away of course this didn't happen and after asking again and being told the same this still didn't happen. I would rather they said no not possible than pretending to care and having no intention of doing anything about it. The food was of a poor standard never hot and choice limited, no water was offered with the evening meal unless to be paid for and the staff were miserable with little or no interaction with the customers. The hotel was meant to be a 4 star but no where near in my opinion and would have warranted a 2 star at best in Spain. Speaking to various people around the hotel the general feeling was that they or us would not be coming back to the hotel, and this is the first holiday I have had where I have left no single employee of the hotel a tip, which in my book speaks volumns. One good thing in its favour was the sea view which was extra but we watched the sun set every night and this took our mind off the fact that we would be sleeping on the equivalent of a stone slab and only a copius amount of alcohol would ensure we had any sleep at all.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pauline L
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I stayed in the hotel for 8 days from Sept. 26 2013 . It was the first time in this hotel and I loved it. We had a room with sea view and the view was spectaculair , not only on a sunny day but especially on the night of the very bad storm and lightning, and during a sailing contest. From the hotel you just cross the street and ...voila: the beach. No sand but pebbles, but if that is not a problem, you can have a good swim. We booked HalfBoard and that is a good thing to do, especially in the fall when darkness starts at about 7 PM, you don't have to leave the hotel for diner if you don't want to. . The food was very good, with a Greek twist , but to have original Greek food, you can have lunch somewhere in town or just skip diner. Rhodes "Old Town" and harbour are on walking distance, but we just loved that one of the stops of the hop on-hop off open-top sightseeing busses (every 30 minutes) was in front of the hotel. The staff of the hotel (and restaurant) was more than friendly and eager to help whenever needed. Almost all of them were fluent in English. And the mini-supermarket, located within the premises of the hotel was very well equiped, from water to beachwear, small souvenirs and alcoholic drinks.
The only thing we didn't appreciate was the water-temparatue of the swimming pool, far too cold for elder people. The chairs and beds around the pool were of good quality, drinks were served at the poolside. The balcony was nice to sit on, the table big enough to play some (board)games and there was a place to hang your beachtowels..Free Wifi was initially limited to 300 minutes per stay, but extending that period was no problem.
We had a very late flight back, and we could prolongue our room for day use ( not expensive) or else store our luggage safely.
I would absolutely recommend this hotel!!! Our intention is to return to this Blue Sky Beach Hotel.

Room Tip: A room with seaview (and poolview) gives that little extra!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Emina44
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I stayed , with friends, at the Blue Sky Beach Hotel in Rhodes Town for seven nights from 25th September 2013 on a half board basis. I had stayed here four times before over the years as I love the location. I had booked a sea view room , which is a good idea as the view is beautiful.
The public areas of the hotel are bright and modern and the place is very clean. However, this time I felt that the bedrooms were very tired and could do with a coat of paint plus the carpet needed changing. The bathrooms are small but adequate, the main downside being that the shower is just a hand held one over a bath.
The food in the hotel was great both at breakfast and at dinner. I really looked forward to it. The staff in the hotel are all very friendly and add to the holiday.
Overall, I think that this hotel is great value and the position could hardly be bettered. The few things that ive mentioned will not detract from your having a good holiday. I will return to enjoy another holiday at this hotel at some point in the future. Meanwhile, go have a holiday there so that they are still in business for my return.

Room Tip: book a sea view at the front of the hotel
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 September 2013

There's nothing wrong with this hotel except its location on th west side of the Island which
turned out to have gale force winds every evening - normal for this location reception told us!
You had to get a taxi over to the east side or just stay in.

The hotel was everything you would expect in a 3/4 star holiday hotel but we had one complaint.
They charge you for the use of the safe in your room - I don't mean a key deposit (that was
10 euro) but the charge was 20 euros for 6 nights! Unbelievable to charge you to use a fixture
which costs them nothing.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends