“"Great Hotel"”

Ranked #84 of 129 Hotels in Rhodes Town
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
“"Great Hotel"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

Stayed at the Solemar for 2 weeks all inclusive, and it was wonderful. Can't fault the Staff and the cleanliness of the hotel, bedroom cleaned everyday bar Sunday, towels changed whenever required. Public areas were lovely, but the same details need to apply to the hotel corridors and bedrooms(carpets). Swimming pool was good, although after entering at the steps, it went deep very quickly, not for non swimmers in the pool on there own.
No complaints about the resturant, and the food was good, with plenty of choice, with a variety of meats, fish, pasta and vegetarian dishes at each sitting. Typical Greek breakfast but with added hot dishes. Lots of different drinks available, from hot and cold, to beer, wine, shorts and cocktails, however, you had to queue at the bar on an evening, as Gabriel was the only one serving drinks, but this was not inconvienent. On the food front, the snack bar lets the hotel down, chips, ham & cheese sandwiches and a hot option were served from 10:00 A/M daily, but no-one touched the hot option unless it was pizza. If self catering, the snack bar dosn't have a menu, so you have to go into town for lunch, or pay 10euro per person to dine in the resturant. Entertainment team, Jenna & Basia were great and worked hard all day, 6 days a week. Hotel location is great, 20 mins from airport and waterpark, a taxi ride to Rhodes Town and Lindos 35 mins, so very near all places of interest.
Would definatly return to the Solemar, and anyone who moans about this hotel, want 5* for 3* prices.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jeanette S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

Just got back from the Solemar Hotel and I can't praise the staff enough, they were so friendly and help full. The rooms were cleaned every day with fresh towels and sheets every other day. The food was great, enough variety everyday for everyone. A few other guests moaned about the food but I think were expecting 5* accommodation and paying 3* money. The only thing I would suggest is they have another person help in the bar in the evening as most nights there were queues as they only had one barman Gabrielle (who was lovely) serving. Maybe machines serving soft drinks around the pool and bar area for children to help themselves rather than taking space up in the queue. Will definitely return

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Angela R
Skipton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

Just back from a week's all inclusive. A really great week had by myself, my husband and our three boys 17, 15, 13. Hotel rooms basic but good, mini fridge, hairdryer. Food I thought was good and always something to eat although more fresh fruit was a request from all of us. It was the first time our family had had an all inclusive holiday and all said they would like to again. Basia and Jenna fantastic as the Amination Teeam and really got my boys involved in all the activities hence they made friends from day 1. Staff lovely. Great location just over the road from the beach and mini supermarkets and bars/restaurants on the doorstep. Yes there are glitzy 5* hotels around but our family would hate them and the vast sterileness of them. The Solemar never felt huge or too busy and we would definately go back - a great holiday had by all. So easy to get into Rhodes where the Old Town is beautiful, and the boys had a day at the waterpark which was a success too.

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor, side view and happy with those, quiet in the evenings and could have h...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Katie M
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

Stayed for a week all inclusive booked 6days before we went so got it cheaper than most staying self catering for the week which is a major plus. Pool was good for us as it was deep so had one end to ourselves mostly but the sound of crickets was irritating! Take an ipod to drown it out! I found the lager nice enough and the missus loved the cocktails but when it came to eating it was terrible. Pizza at the pool bar was good enough it was the main restaurant that was bad and I coped well enough with the food in egypt where most bad food reviews are made. We ate out most nights which is reasonable priced anyway. Found the luna bar was good plus martini blue cocktail bar was fantastic for food and the cocktails was something else! Amazing! Its definatley a hotel for a cheap and cheerful stay but id say self catering and eat out than eat there.

• Stayed July 2013
Greater Manchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

We booked this place last minute through Jet2holidays and after reading the recent reviews we decided it would do for us nicely. So me, my wife and my 10 year old daughter travelled here for week 24-31st July.

We were dropped off on the Main Road on the same side of the hotel, check in was easy enough. We were prepared for the extra cost of Air Con and Safety Deposit Box after doing our homework, so no drama. We requested a high room with a sea view and although it was dark when we arrived although the room opened out onto the front of the hotel and therefore the noisy and busy road, we were happy enough that we had a sort of sea view (obscured slightly by the trees). We were happier still when daylight came and we had a very nice view and at the sunsets were beautiful. See pics.

The room was small, and the shower tray too small for a hefty chap like me but we managed, in fact I tied the shower curtain up as I was sick of it sticking to me. The water wasn't the hottest but who wants a red hot shower in 35-40 degree heat? The beds were hard but very comfy, my 10 year old was put up on a camp bed and she thought it really comfy too. There was a TV and even the God Send of a fridge in the room, so whilst it was small, it was only somewhere to sleep.

So as we arrived at 1030pm it was dump our bags and make use of the last hour of all inclusive. The barman Gabrielle (pronounced Gabria) was a true gentleman, you are only allowed one drink at a time per person and the queues could get a bit hefty at times but he remembered our names all week and had our drinks ready each time we got to the bar. The drinks choice was fairly good and unusually for many all inclusives you actually felt like you'd had a few halfway through the night.

Drinks Included
Soft Drinks available are not top brands more local alternatives, sop a rola cola type, orangeade, lemon etc. Water is chargeable
Tea, coffee
Alfa Beer on Draught
Wines
Vodka, Brandy, Ouzo, White Rum, Rum, Gin etc…
And a choice of 4 cocktails

The food is basic but mostly tasty, the only issue I had was there was not enough choice of salad at lunch and a real absence of tomatoes at times (although they are very expensive in Greece)
Breakfast - Cereals cheap but ok
bacon occasionally
usual continental sausage
usually two types of eggs
bread to toast, preserves, honey, nutella
croissants most days

Ice cream )pistachio, Strawberry, Banana and Vanilla
Greek Yoghurt
Not much fruit

Evening Meal
Similar to lunch, always tasty and usually something to choose from
And always chips!

The snack bar around the pool wasn't that good, the food wasn't changed often enough but if you can't wait until lunch or dinner?

We only ate out twice in a week, which shows the food was ok

Entertainment
The entertainment staff Basia fromPoland and Jenna from Finland were very good, from Aqua Gym in the morning to the evening entertainment. The Fire Show was very good and the Karaoke certainly got the festivities flowing!

We found the reception staff courteous, the restaurant staff courteous. The room was kept clean although a bit of mopping every now and again wouldn't have gone amiss!

The pool area was slippy and the pool is very deep, but it's cooling and the beds were plentiful if you got up early enough but usually by mid-afternoon you could snare yourself a couple. I've been to many All Inclusive hotels and found them to like cattle markets, especially at meal times. There's an air of relaxation at The Solemar, no part of the hotel gets too crowded , although you do have to be in the entertainment area for around 8pm to be guaranteed a table.

Another + at the Solemar is the absence of too many whiny, whingeing toddlers. There were a couple but not on a par with other places we have been.

All in all for the price we paid we were fairly happy with the Solemar. Not so sure we'd ever go back there, but we had a nice relaxing week and that's all we wanted.

As a final note the toilets from the bar area are upstairs, I managed to slip and damage my foot and ankle, Gabrielle the bar man quickly provided copious amounts of ice and by the next day I wasn't too bad. Marble steps are slippy so be aware.

Out and about we tried Luna Bar but thought it devoid of atmosphere, instead we preferred Sebastian's he even put the Rugby League on the big screen for us two night running and the food there was excellent. The wife enjoyed the cider selection and my daughter enjoyed the (Children's) cocktails and slushes. They even have a takeaway within the bar! We went to Rhodes Town and found it stunning 9 Euros each way in a taxi. It was very hot there though so we only stayed there until lunch time.

Be aware of the very busy road outside the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank paulprendy
Cardiff, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

When my father and I arrived at this hotel I was speechless, after seeing the gorgeous hotels on our way to the sole mare, I was excited to see how our hotel would compare, needless to say I was very disappointed by the cramped appearance. I would like to state that the hotel it's self was very clean but what I believe let it down was the food, when staying all inclusive you expect a certain standard of food, the food it's self was so bad that my father and I decided that rather than putting up with the terrible food, we instead ate out. Overall our all inclusive was an utter WASTE OF MONEY FOR THE QUALITY OF FOOD AND DRINKS!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ellen B

Travellers are raving about these Rhodes Town hotels

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

Just got back after spending a marvellous time at the above hotel. Special thanks to Gabriel the barman who worked his socks off also my husband dropped his wallet at the bar but it was promptly returned with all the money in over 500 euros how's that for honesty, Manos his side kick was always smiling and helpful. The two receptionists Eva and Irene couldn't do enough for you. The food is fine plenty of choice . The beds are a little small but then my husband is 6ft 5in- from the balcony we had a lovely view of the sea and marvellous sunsets. We enjoyed eating out occasionally and can recommend the Luna bar with Andreous and Debbie - it's a proper family affair- I would also recommend the golden fish a Chinese restaurant if you are looking for something different- Rhodes old town is well worth a visit as is a boat trip to Lindos - would definitely go back

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
#28 of 129 in Rhodes Town
Lito Hotel
Lito Hotel
#23 of 32 in Ialyssos

Been to Hotel Solemar? Share your experiences!