“Amazing views, not so amazing rooms.”

Amathus Beach Hotel Rhodes
Ranked #11 of 126 Hotels in Rhodes Town
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Amazing views, not so amazing rooms.”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Things started off on the wrong foot when our reservation for a sea view family suite could not be honored and we were given a garden view suite instead for the first night with a promise to relocate us to a sea view one the next day. This was really disappointing and got us into a bad mood to start off our vacation with. The next day we were moved to a sea view suite as promised. When we came back from the pool to our new room there weren't any towels in the room. We called the reception to have some sent over and we had to wait in our wet bathing suits for over to arrive. Even then there were only 3 large towels for the 4 of us and no small towels. The cleaning lady said there was a problem with the laundry. I've read previous reviewers mention this also so this is apparently not a one off thing.

The facilities: There ground pools area is really nice, as is the private beach across the road. Both areas have plenty of sunbeds and though the hotel was at 100% capacity there were always free sunbeds to be found. The beach has a nice grass area at it's back which we enjoyed sitting at. The 11th floor pool is also nice though we didn't spend much time there. Getting to the ground floor pools is a bit awkward as you have to cross the hotel's driveway to get to them. On several occasions we had to dodge taxis and buses on the way which was very annoying and dangerous when done with children. I think the hotel should consider putting in place some kind of safe passage to prevent this.
The dining room on the 10th floor was quite nice with amazing views. Too bad the air-conditioner inside was very weak and it was very warm. The hotel's corridors were also quite warm and the elevators where very warm. Having a dress code were men have to wear long trousers for dinner when all the way from the room to the dining room, including, was extremely warm seemed a bit excessive. If you want your guests to wear long pants then get enough air-conditioning throughout the hotel to keep them comfortable. Overall the facilities are very nice and are of a 4 star standard.

The rooms: The first room we got was a garden view family suite which was really disappointing and not only because of the view. The room's layout was quite bad. The room was crowded, the bathroom on both floors where small and not very practical. The room itself was very dated and there were signs of wear and lacking maintenance all over. We were really put off by the room and we thought that if the sea view suite would be the same then this would be a very disappointing experience. Luckily the sea view suites where MUCH nicer. Though still quite dated, the room was much more spacious and laid out much better. The HUGE balcony was also nice and the sea views were nothing less than SPECTACULAR. That said, the rooms were of very basic build quality, basic and dated furniture and quite low-end finishing touches. Putting the balcony and the views aside, the room was no more than a 3 star standard. The only real downside of staying at a sea view room is the noise from the road in from of the hotel. This is a major road which connects the airport and Rhodes Town. It is always busy and traffic noise can be heard at the pool, the beach and the sea facing balconies. Some of it can be heard within the room as well, especially motorcycles. This is a bit of a shame as it ruins the complete tranquility otherwise offered by the views.

The food: Breakfast is very good with lot's of choice. Dinner was also very varied with a lot of choice but what I found lacking were Greek dishes. I am huge fan of Greek cuisine and it's large selection of traditional dishes (Moussaka, Pastitsio, Kleftiko, Souvlaki, Stifado, stuffed vine leaves, Spanakopita, and the list goes on and on..). Unfortunately for the 3 nights on which we had dinner at the hotel none of the above dishes were offered. On one of the nights there was roasted leg of Lamb which was very good. The rest of the dishes were ok with an average overall score of 7. If you like Greek food then skip dinner altogether and go out to eat in one of the many Tavernas and restaurants within 5-10 minutes walking distance of the hotel. Dinner did not include drinks, not even water, and you had no choice but to order and pay for any drinks you wanted. It's a shame the hotel takes advantage of this and sells drinks at a huge markup of about 400%. A 33cl bottle of Mythos beers which costs 0.75 Euros at the supermarket and 2 Euros at the local pubs and restaurants costs 3.5 Euros at the hotel. I think this is excessive and opportunistic. The food sold at the pools & beach is quite nice and reasonably priced (with the price of drinks being the exception).

The staff: The 10th floor dining room staff is very nice. The hostesses are extremely friendly and cheerful and always make you feel welcome. The pool staff are nice and friendly. The bell boys were nice and always happy to help. The cleaning ladies where very friendly.

The hotel is very clearly targeting Russian clientele. There are Russian speaking staff all over and the predominant language spoken amongst guests is Russian. Nevertheless, in contrast to previous reviews, I found them to be very well behaved, courteous, quiet and non-imposing. They may not be the most extrovert and cheerful folk but that is a matter of mentality. Overall I have nothing bad to say about the Russian guests. The ones we had any kind interaction with were friendly and polite.

Overall we had a positive experience at the Amathus Beach hotel despite all of the complaints I listed above. It should be noted that this hotel is not a 5 star hotel by Western European or US standards. It has 4 star facilities with the beach and the views being strong contributors, and 3 star standard rooms. If you place high importance on room standard you might be disappointed.
Since the hotel claims to be a 5 star establishment I will judge it accordingly and will give it a 3 star rating.

Tips:
1. There is a small mini-market type of shop within the hotel. Drinks are much cheaper there than anywhere else in the hotel.
2. Renting a car at the adjacent hotel (the Oceanis) or in town is about 20% cheaper. In any case make sure what model you're getting as some cars can be a little old.
3. The Geek Salad served at the pools/beach is very nice and is great for a mid-day snack.
4. Eeat out! If you don't mind walking for 5-10 minutes then you should dine out at one of the many and great options nearby the hotel. I would go for the B&B option and eat out every day.
5. Get a sea view room. Otherwise you're missing the whole point. If you can't afford it then get a sea view room at a cheaper hotel.
6. Visit the old Rhodes Town.
7. If you fancy a day trip then go to Lindos and the 7 springs. Both are lovely and fun for both adults and children.

Room Tip: Get a sea view room. Avoid the garden view family suites.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ChillBilll
Theofilos L, Manager at Amathus Beach Hotel Rhodes, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Dear Friend,

Thank you for you sharing your detailed feedback on TripAdvisor following your stay with us. I really appreciate you taking the time to comment on all aspects of your stay.

Firstly please accept my apologies for not allocating the correct room type upon arrival, I am pleased however that you were happy with your room the following day. Please note that the last 2 years we have upgraded several areas of the hotel with main focus our guest rooms where we changed carpets, curtains, balcony furniture, TV sets and mattresses.

Regarding your comments about the food choices I can assure you if you would have chosen to dine in our restaurants you could find many of the Greek foods you describe on our buffet and menus. As you experience during your stay the pricing of all menu items is reasonable and our pricing can't be compared with a local pub as we offer a completely different service.

I am pleased to read that overall you had a nice holiday despite the minor issues but mostly for your comments regarding my colleagues.

Thank you once again for taking the time to post your detailed review and hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon.

(operation@rodianamathus.gr)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Haifa, Israel
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Rooms are very poor. Not even close to a 5 stars. Misleading pictures at the hotel website. Refuse to receive a “smell” room, they change it to a tiny one. Staff are smile and welcome.. Overall very disappointing. I will Not recommend this hotel to my freinds.
Waiting to end the vacation.

Room Tip: from the pictures - take only the elite-amathus hotel. looks totaly different. otherwise try other h...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Ofer M
Dear Friend,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on TripAdvisor. I read with concern your comments about the rooms and the pictures on our website. We have launched a new website this year and all pictures are updated, I would appreciate it if you could contact me to discuss this matter further.

Thank you for your time and kind assistance.

Rishon Lezion, Israel
Reviewed 14 August 2013

really very intelligent not persuasive service. Pleasant atmosphere.Good food.
Multilevel pools.Exelent seaview from restorant.!The restaurant is on the tenth floor.
Soft climate.Fine impressions! Our family remained very happy. both children and adults.

Room Tip: Best room it's suite sure :)
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Oldlidov
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2013

The Amathus beach hotel is overall a good hotel. We enjoyed our stay there and all in all had a lovely holiday on Rhodes.

That said I think this hotel is probably best geared towards families rather than couples and as such the premium you pay probably reaps dividends for those with children rather than couples.

Everything is extremely family friendly and I suspect for those with children it is a delightful oasis for the whole family. For a peaceful romantic retreat for couples however there is less to recommend it.

When we arrived we were checked in quickly and promptly and shown to our sea view room on the 8th floor. The room and balcony were small for a 5* but the view spectacular, (particularly at sunset). The bathroom was a bit dingy and tired.

The room was 3-4* in terms of comfort and facilities but 5* in terms of view (we had to pay extra for this of course!)

We stayed half board as that simplifies dining out considerably particularly in the somewhat remote location where there weren't many decent restaurants in walking distance.

The food was very good considering it was standard holiday buffet fare. There was always something tasty and a good selection of hot and cold dishes.

One thing to note with the dining experience is that on several occasions we were vehemently steered towards eating inside when there were clearly free tables on the balcony. A firm no seems to suffice and within seconds a table magically appears to become free (very odd, I think it may be that the whole service is a bit disorganised and I think the staff maybe under a lot of pressure. To their credit however they are always friendly and polite)

I recommend that if not on the premium package or all inclusive you make use of the 50% discount on happy hour as this really is worthwhile. The staff in the 11th floor bar really are excellent.

Another gotcha to look out for is the shoes only policy in the non-buffet restaurants, having to wear trousers is pretty common but I watched several men being turned away because of their footware (sandals and the like) at the poolside restaurant! Some better notice of this would be helpful.

Lifts can get busy at peak times but there are stairs which once discovered make life a lot easier, particularly as there is a serious lack of manners amongst some of the guests. Pushing in, physically barging and so forth.

The private beach is a delight (not too busy) and a lovely cooling breeze. Pools as far as I could tell are best avoided as they are busy and noisy, things are much more relaxed on the beach.

We didn't attend any of the theme nights with entertainment as that's not really our scene but they looked like were well organised and I suspect would be been fun if that's the sort of holiday you're after (the animation team daily tried in vain to get me to play water polo or volleyball with a smile and great enthusiasm and are a credit to the hotel).

All in all if you are looking for a good quality hotel with entertainment and fun for the whole family I'd be hard pressed to recommend anywhere better.

For us however, because we didn't avail ourselves of the entertainment or have children with us to make use of the more child friendly aspects, the premium on this hotel was probably not worth paying. Therefore for us this was not great value for money.

I'm not sure Amathus need to change anything except perhaps clearly market themselves to their core audience, which is obviously families. They provide excellent facilities in this regard and hats off to them for everything they have achieved. It's not quite what we were looking for but we will happily recommend it to friends with families.

P.S. Rhodes town is well worth a visit as it has a fascinating history and interesting museums (go in the morning or evening as it gets very hot).

Room Tip: Higher up rooms with a sea view are to be recommended as the view is spectacular at sunset.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank munkimagik
Theofilos L, Manager at Amathus Beach Hotel Rhodes, responded to this review, 11 August 2013
Dear Friend,

Thank you for posting your detailed feedback following your recent stay with us.

It is always a pleasure for me to receive positive comments for my colleagues and thank you for that. However it is a concern to read that we failed to create the experience you expected. Please note that the last 3 years we have upgraded several areas of the hotel included guest rooms. Despite our efforts the economic situation in Greece does not allow for more drastic changes.

Usually during August we have more families in the hotel and I believe this is the case for all hotels on the island. We offer an adults only pool at the ground floor for that reason but I am glad you could enjoy our beach. If I may I would suggest to visit us again during May or September when the atmosphere is more to your liking in order to be able to create for you the experience you were expecting.

Once again thank you for your feedback and for recommending us to your friends with children. I hope you will honor us with another visit in the future in order to extend to you our well known Amathus hospitality.

Cheshire
Reviewed 8 August 2013

This is a really excellent hotel. All the staff are very proud to be working at this hotel and their take their responsibility to ensure you have a great time very professionally. Great room on the top floors with great sunsets. Excellent breakfasts, where staff remember what you like. Three pools, including one adults only. Great beach, accessed by a tunnel.

Thoroughly recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms on top floors have brilliant views.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank VJCS
Paphos, Cyprus
Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

We booked our holidays at amathus hotel one month ago at a really reasonable fee.
At our arrival the reception staff were very helpfull and hospitable. The rooms are really pleasant and very clean.
My only concern of the room was the fact that Greek tv channels were not available.
Apart from that everything else was super.
Breakfast was really rich and all the staff very friendly.
Many many many many thanks to all the varkarola POOL STAFF. They made us feel like home from the very beginning till the end . Amazing people!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013
Lod, Israel
Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

That was a great vacation in a fabulous hotel. Although the room's are small for two person's with teenage boy, the smile on the face of the staff and there willing to help and make your holiday the most, made you forget this fact. With nice pools and good access to beach, make this hotel a great place for a holiday.

• Stayed August 2013
Olympic Palace Resort Hotel & Convention Center
Oceanis Hotel
Oceanis Hotel
#19 of 126 in Rhodes Town

Been to Amathus Beach Hotel Rhodes? Share your experiences!