“Fantastic week all inclusive”

Amathus Beach Hotel Rhodes
Ranked #13 of 126 Hotels in Rhodes Town
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Our stay at the Amathus Beach Hotel was my first experience of going all inclusive. Although I always liked the idea I had been put off by thoughts of warm beer in plastic cups and arm bands etc etc. I am also fussy about my food and wasn’t sure what to expect.

Having had a fantastic week at the Amathus I am sold on “All inclusive” if done properly and the Amathus gets it spot on. The food and choice were excellent. The service and staff friendly and attentive. The choice and quality of all inclusive drinks at the bars was also very good indeed. The local beer was nice, cold and served in a proper glass to the table. I know some reviews mention about having to sign off your drinks all the time. Admittedly it is a bit different but you soon get used to it and would rather do that than have an armband on all holiday.

My two tips when staying here. Enjoy the roof top pool it is lovely and the views exceptional. Also for convenience and ease pay the little extra for a taxi from the hotel when going to Rhodes old town. It is worth it :-) In short Fantastic Holiday !!!!!

10  Thank Adrian H
There are newer reviews for Amathus Beach Hotel Rhodes

Reviewed 8 January 2014

I booked a weeks holiday here for the first week of October for my husbands 30th Birthday.

I booked this hotel as we were married in the Amathus beach hotel in Paphos and found the hotel and staff there to be amazing.

The hotel has a beautiful pool/garden area and lovely seating area's around the pools/bars and dinning areas. Our room was lovely and we had paid for a sea view room which was nice to sit out on an evening and watch the beautiful sunset.

We had a lovely week exploring Rhodes and hired a car for 2 days and went to Lindos and also hired bikes from the hotel and cycled to the old town,

With the exception of 1 evening, we chose not to have our meals at the hotel as we prefer to go out and eat in local restaurants. Despite it nearly being the end of the season we found some lovely restaurants, in particular I would recommend Le Gourmet and Sirtaki where we went to both twice.

We splurged on a couples massage and would definitely recommend this.

The island has a problem with cat neutering and unfortunately there are many strays. There are several spots on the island where they are cared for and collect donations from tourists.
As a cat lover I was very pleased to see that the staff did not mistreat the cats and allowed them to roam the hotel grounds. A lot of guests (myself included) would feed them in the morning so I think they do ok for food although I don't know what happens to them out of season. There was talk amongst other guests that they were bagged up and drowned but I sincerely hope that is not the case.

Overall we very much enjoyed our stay here and would return but it didn't quite live up to the excellence we experienced in Paphos and as it is a lot bigger it didn't have the same personal touch, so if you were choosing between the 2 I would opt Paphos.
I was also slightly disappointed that we had to queue for breakfast every morning despite the hotel hardly being full.

Room Tip: a sea view is worth paying for, otherwise you are just facing trees on the cliffs and get no sunligh...
5  Thank Hayley874
Reviewed 1 January 2014

My bf and I stayed here mid August for a lovely relaxing week break which was all inclusive. Upon arrival we were delighted at being told we had been upgraded to a top floor room with a stunning sea view for no apparent reason :)

The room was very pretty- lovely and clean and the staff came in every day to tidy up.

The food was very tasty with a good variety at all meal times and the staff were all so amazing. We were very sad to leave as everyone was so chatty and friendly and they catered to your every need. We spent the majority of our time relaxing by the pool, where we were spoilt for choice with the selection of pools to choose from. The facilities there were great with staff available to take your cocktail order and bring it to you as well as plenty of places to choose from as the pools were never too busy. The beach area was great and the local area ( Rhodes town) was a brill place to visit and learn about the history of Rhodes and Greek culture.

On my birthday at the hotel, I was treated to a couples massage in the spa from my bf and it was amazing. The spa is a must see. It's so tranquil, modern and a great place to chill and get pampered. The girls there made me an impromptu bday cake with a tea light lit and I was made to feel very special. I was also surprised to see when returning back to our room, that I was given a lovely signed birthday card from the hotel as well as a bottle of wine in an ice bucket.

That evening we ate a la carte and the food was delicious with plenty to choose from on the menu. The entertainment that night was a rock night and the band was great! We enjoyed all the entertainment over the week! :)

Overall this hotel exceeded all expectations and we would definitely go back there again to stay!

Thank you!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sarah B
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We went here expecting a five star luxury 2 week break. As I now know, from other forum reviewers this hotel is bascially 3 star. Shame we expected a nice hotel so we were extremly disappointed.

The rooms are dated, small, dirty and poorly maintained, they smelt damp and musty. They are not properly cleaned, all they did for two weeks is make the bed. Staff would leave food and drinks on the side and never sweep up. Look at some of the traveller reviews to see the reality of these dingy rooms.

The beach is dirty and backs onto a main road.

The restaurants and bars - well at night there is just one restaurant and one bar open, the others were closed. For our first week at the restaurant there was massive queues every morning and night and in the evenings long delays at the bar . The service staff in the restaurant were incredibly hardworking and friendly and I could not fault them.

The gym machines and weights are broken and usable the gym and indoor pool are grotty, the jacuzzi doesnt work.

Ixia is a main road linking the airport to Rhodes, there is nothing there. The resort is a taxi drive to Rhodes ( which is a beautiful).

If you want five star look elsewhere.

Room Tip: The higher rooms will have a good view. Sea view is a must as at the back is just a hillside.
12  Thank Stevecollins123
Theofilos L, Manager at Amathus Beach Hotel Rhodes, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Dear Friends,

I have askeds from TripAdvisor to remove this review but it did not happen so I have to responde to this review the exact same way I did when I received the same complaint from the guests' agent. The agency knowing the hotel facilities and taking into consideration all the documentation sent rejected this complaint as not being realistic.

Rooms
• Regarding the status of the rooms, guests were initially allocated rooms on the 4th floor (434) which were equipped with brand new furniture on 2009, mattresses in all rooms of the hotel were changed in 2011 by a Swiss company called EliteBeds, TV sets were installed in June of 2012. For all of these I can provide purchase invoices. The second room in which the guests finally spent their holiday is only two doors down the corridor. I am sending you attached a photo made with my phone today just for you to get an idea of the “obscured” sea view.
• Regarding the smell in the room, during our check after the complaint from the guests we did not detect any bad odors in the room and we only offer the choice of changing room when guests demanded another room.
• From our lock entry data I can confirm that maids entered the room daily and the quality of their work was double checked by the floor supervisors on a daily basis. The fabrics on the head board has a velvety texture and the different shades of color is due to that and not due to poor cleanliness.
• Regarding the bathrooms, they are the only part of the room not renovated recently. I have checked with maintenance and reception to find out if the problems mentioned by the guests were reported but there is no mention of leakages in the room. Nor did our floor supervisors reported any leakages in the room.

Dining and entertainment
• The a la carte restaurant, Varkarola, was open every day for lunch and dinner. The guests could have had their dinner if they would have made a reservation or even by just walking into the restaurant because of the low business volume this time of the season. I can provide receipts of guests who dinned in the a la carte restaurant 2 nights before the departure of Mrs Collins for which she claims the restaurant was closed.
• Regarding the queues in the restaurant we had this problem for one night because of the weather we had to close the whole outside area which holds 50% of the restaurant’s seats and there was a delay with the seating of approximately 10-15 minutes.
• The first of the two themed nights took place as usual and the second, the can can, only on Friday the 11th of October because on the 4th we had rainy weather and the show takes place outside. I can provide invoices we received from the entertainment companies which perform these shows.
• We offer buffet and a la carte menu on the pool deck restaurant and not in the main restaurant of the hotel, which of course was available. There is no mention in any promotional material of the hotel for a la carte menu in the main restaurant.
• The first two days the pool bar at the ground floor was closed because it was raining and there were no guests around the pool during the day. During this period the 3 out of the 4 bars of the hotel which are in covered areas were operating as usual. Mrs Collins mentions 3 bars despite the fact that there are tip charges on all 4 bars.
• There is no mention to the Service Manager of the main bar area for a drink delay. We have procedures in place to record incidents like that but there is no mention to any of my colleagues or to the Service Manager for such delay. Actually while I was going through the bill of the guest I found out that they regularly tipped the bar staff.
• Regarding the snacks being available, I was standing at the back office of the reception when this issue was mentioned and I personally went to check immediately to find out that everything was in place as usual.

Hotel facilities
• All treadmills are regularly maintained and in perfect condition, again I can provide invoices from the parts replaced.
• The weights are all fixed just because we want to eliminate the chance of a guest getting injured. All of the weights are in perfect condition and can’t be modified without a screw driver..
• There was a broken water supply pipe in the gym area and while restoring this damage we placed towels and the caution sign to prevent accidents. This damage was fixed within a few hours the same day.
• There is no mention of heated outside pools in our website or anywhere else.
• I can’t argue about the noise at the ground floor pools, however the noise from the suction of the pool on the 11th floor is absolutely normal and at no point as loud as a car. We received an award from TUI last year for the quality of the pool water and the safe operation of the pools.
• The beach of the hotel is EXACTLY the same as in the pictures, again I can provide invoices of the sunbeds bought in May of 2013. The beach is kept clean on a daily basis by our beach boys.
• The Jacuzzi still today is working perfectly fine.

We do not accept the arguments of Mrs. Collins of misleadingly selling the hotel. If Mrs. Collins had so many and serious problems it only makes sense that at some point she would have talked or mentioned something to one of the managers of the hotel which of course never happened apart from when they changed room. I can only be suspicious for the intentions of Mrs. Collins for reporting such a serious complaint after her departure.

Kind regards
Theofilos Lakkas
Hotel Manager
(operation@rodianamathus.gr)

Reviewed 13 November 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks in September and had a really bad experience and are really confused by the excellent reviews, especially after listening to the many complaints of other hotel guests during our stay.

The Rooms
The room was dated and smelly. Our first room smelled so badly of damp that we asked to be moved. The room has an obvious damp problem. We reported this smell on the first morning. We then returned that afternoon to reception to be told that maintenance had sorted the problem. We returned to our room to find that the smell was infact a lot worse.

We phoned reception again to report this and was told that again they would sort out the problem. One hour later and no phone call and the room was becoming unbearable so we returned to report the problem for the third time to reception. We had no other option but to wait at the reception desk to ensure it would get taken seriously and resolved.

At this point they felt the need to send a porter to our room to check it. I can only presume they did not believe what we was complaining about! After another long wait in reception we were told that they now believed what we were saying and were going to move us. Disturbingly we were told that we had to move quickly and immediately because they were putting somebody into the smelly room that we were leaving! We felt rushed and quite stressed.

This complaint took a whole day of our holiday to resolve. We had unpacked once and had to completely pack and unpack again. The reception staff were rude and at no point did we even receive an apology for all of the problems we had incurred.

Our first room (the bad smelling room) had a lovely sea view which we had paid for, we were rushed into a new room which was low down and directly in front of a large tree almost completely obscuring the view from the room which was a big disappointment. The second room also has a damp problem and the wood is black and warped and there is again visible water damage.

We had big problems with the maid service/cleaning which was almost non-existent throughout our holiday. Each day the bed was made, but that was it. Any drinks or food from the previous day were just left, for 2 weeks the floors were not swept and the sides were not wiped.

The second room had its problems, the bathroom is old, small and sub-standard. The shower leaked each time it was used, creating a pool on the tile floors which spread out into the hall way which we slipped on continuously. The fridge leaked every day and was never mopped up by the maid. We tried to keep on top of these leaks with our towels but never the less was constantly slipping.

The entire room was dated and incredibly scruffy and worlds apart from the pictures on the hotels4u website. The room and servicing of the room is not five star and you should not be putting guests in a room, no matter what the rating which has damp.

Hotel dining and entertainment

The hotel was described as having one dinner restaurant and an a la carte restaurant. The a la carte restaurant was never open. We tried to book into this and could only have a booking for the second from last day of our holiday. We were advised by reception the evening before that this booking was cancelled. We asked for explanation but was not given one.

We experienced long queues at many breakfast and dinner times, at times up to 40 people could be cramped into the small entrance which could become a 20-30 min wait and became an incredible stressful and unenjoyable daily experience.

The hotel markets itself as having themed evenings - Greek nights and Can Can/ lobster nights. This did not happen when we were there the only option we had was the buffet restaurant..

There was insufficient staff in the one available evening bar, one barman for an entire hotel is unacceptable. Frequently we waited an hour for a drink. It became a constant problem in the evening. The bar was clearly under staffed and stressed at one point a barman was so stressed that he snapped at a couple next to us for asking where their drinks were after 30 min wait.

Eventually due to the large stressful queues and stress at the bar we found it impossible to have an enjoyable evening at the hotel and had to leave and pay for dinner & drinks outside of the hotel. With an All inclusive holiday this is totally unacceptable.

Hotel facilities

The gym - all of the treadmills were not usable as are well overdue maintenance. The biggest problem being the belt stopping as your foot hit it, after coming close to foot / ankle injury my husband could not use these.

The weights were not usable they had all broken and the weights would fall off the bar. The aircon was turned off or not working, the water cooler was always empty, towels were not available. The Gym again has a damp problem and apart from the leaks in the hallway, it smells musty and the gym wall/ mirrors have visible damage.

The 2 “luxury” and "peaceful" swimming pools are sitting on the main road through Ixia which is incredibly busy and noisy. All you can hear is the sound of busy traffic literally metres behind you.

The pool at the back of the hotel away from the road seemed to have some kind of fault as it made loud suction noises. To put the noise in context it is as loud as a car being revved continuously. The baby pool also regularly made the same loud noises which combined made it impossible to relax.

All pools were not heated and were too cold to use, in 2 weeks I could count on one hand the people who braved it and got out quickly.

The beach is again on the main road and noisy. It was filthy and full of rubbish. I had to pick chewing gum off my feet. Most of the sunbeds were broken and old and none of them had cushions.

The Jacuzzi in the indoor pool did not work, after having to literally beg the spa receptionist for a towel we finally got in the Jacuzzi and it was broken. The pool guttering stacked up against the walls was scruffy. On the marble floored corridor was a big pool of water covered by a soaking wet towel was really dangerous with children running in and out. It was like this for two weeks and again smelled musty.

I have complained to the travel agent and await reply.

IN SUMMARY I would never return to this hotel. Even with good food and nice views from the dining area, the rest of the problems overwhelmed and ruined our holiday.

Rhodes is a beautiful island and highly recommend but find another hotel!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank canvey85
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Stayed at this hotel from the 12th to the 19th October. We found the hotel staff very welcoming and helpful during our stay. It was the week where the hotel was hit by the tornado and bad storm. The hotel was very organised and before long were sorting out the aftermath of trees on cars, pool equipment (sunbeds, parasols, mud and foliage) in the pools, power lines down and recovered reasonably quickly. This was a first at the hotel as this had never happened before so well done them in being organised in the clean up job.

We went all inclusive and the restaurant and bar areas were lovely with efficient staff. It was nice that you didn't have the ID bracelets and signed for drinks and meals. It would be nice if you had a selection of drinks in the fridge in your room as it does stipulate you were not allowed to fetch food or drinks into the hotel to be consumed in the rooms. Coffee and tea making facilities would have been nice in the room too. Selection of fruit in room on arrival was a nice touch. Wifi in the hotel is free but unreliable and cuts out unless you are outside or near the windows in your room.

Stayed in room 924 which was a decent room but only housed a shower and not a bath. It was fine and I was too tired to explain I would prefer a room with a bath so we stayed put. I'm sure if I had mentioned it to the staff they would have accommodated us as we had no problems with them. Beds were comfortable.

We ventured to Rhodes town which was lovely and if you like to shop this was the place for you but most of the shops had similar goods of handbags, tee shirts and tacky souveniers . There is a bus stop in front of the hotel, however there was a bus strike on and a few buses went passed us packed like a London tube! It is easier to get a taxi there which was 8 euros so you could share a taxi. Bus tickets were available at the hotel shop.

It was the weather that affected our enjoyment but that is beyond the control of the hotel and they coped admirably with this situation. It is a lovely hotel but a good 4 star rather than a five star.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We stayed a week at the Amathus Beach in July 2013. I apologise for the delay in writing my review.
I mistakenly booked a family room, through First Choice (who were excellent, especially the flights on the Dreamliner!) I realised after booking the room that there was a rather steep staircase to the sleeping area of the accommodation, which is not suitable for me as I have severe problems with my knees. I emailed the hotel directly, and asked could I upgrade to a room or suite on one level, and I would be happy to pay the difference. The hotel replied and said they had upgraded me to a junior suite "with their compliments", and that set the standard for the whole week. In a nutshell, the hotel was marvellous.
The staff, without exception, were all friendly and always greeted us with a smile. Nothing was too much trouble.
The junior suite was beautiful, the bed comfy, and everything was spotless. We were on the "all inclusive" option, and the food was excellent, with good variety, well cooked and plentiful.
Our first time to Rhodes, we hired a car for three days to explore this beautiful Island. We found everyone exceptionally friendly and helpful, smiles in abundance wherever we went.
We would (belatedly) like to thank the management and staff for a very pleasant week, and congratulate the Amathus for the attitude of their staff, which in my opinion makes or breaks a holiday!
My wife and I are a "young" mid to late fifties.
We are fairly well travelled to most corners of the world, and this was one of the nicest breaks we have ever had. We are discerning travellers, but have no negatives to report, which is very unusual.
We intend to return one day, and cannot recommend the hotel too highly.
We had read a couple of negative reviews, but we remain convinced that in life, especially with people, you reap what you sow. Treat people with respect, courtesy and a smile, and you will receive the same back! I suspect that may not have been the philosophy of the negative reviewers!
Thank you and well done to all at the Amathus!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Olympic Palace Resort Hotel & Convention Center
Elysium Resort & Spa
Elysium Resort & Spa
#1 of 20 in Kallithea

Been to Amathus Beach Hotel Rhodes? Share your experiences!