“save your money and time, go somewhere else”

Amathus Beach Hotel Rhodes
Ranked #10 of 127 Hotels in Rhodes Town
Tel Aviv, Israel
“save your money and time, go somewhere else”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I don't know why this hotel got such good reviews 2013, but it closed and just re-opend for the season now, on april 2014. we had a really bad experience there. first of all, the hotel is not on the beach but on a highway, and you have to get in a car and drive to a nice beach. We got a bad room, view to the back and hammering in the morning, but they didn't even care. Also, there were no hot water for two nights, and again they didn't even apologize. worst service I've seen in a hotel. The food was very simple and not tasty, after the first dinner we tried to cancel the meals but they didn't agree so we just ate outside anyway. this is just not a 5 stars hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Inbar B
Theofilos L, Manager at Amathus Beach Hotel Rhodes, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Dear Friend,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor. I read with great concern your comments and I would like to apologize for failing to meet your expectations.

However I would like to point out that the room you received was not bad it was just the view you didn't like but it was the room type you have booked. My colleagues offered alternatives to upgrade to another room type which you rejected.

Regarding your comments for the beach I would like to inform you that we constantly check the quality of the water and always have excellent results. As far as the location of the hotel is concerned we have never promoted the hotel in a misleading way.

Concerning the food I am really disappointed you couldn't find something you liked because we constantly upgrade and enrich our menus in order to maintain our reputation as one of the best hotels on this area and this is reflected in the majority of the reviews we receive. The reason we couldn't reimburse you for the meals is because it was part of your package paid at your agency.

I hope you will give us the chance to better serve you in the future.

Kind regards
Theofilos Lakkas
Hotel Manager
(operation@rodianamathus.gr)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (507)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

I've been many times in Rhodes, but I can say for sure that this was my best vication. The staff was amazing, me and my friens emotionally connected to them, especially Evgenios the cutest waiter, Elena the receptionist, Maria the restaurant hostess, Stamatis the funniest bartender and on top of all- Mr. Vasillies who took care of us and our needs.
I reccomand you this hotel, vication filled with smiles and excellent service.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Daniel K
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Lovely hotel, all the communal areas new and fresh looking, the hotel rooms were a little dated, however we weren't in them much and were perfectly comfortable.
Pool on the roof is the place to go, plenty of sun beds , quieter and a bar close by, marvellous.
We went all inclusive and the restaurant food was fine, plenty of choice considering they were catering for lots of nationalities, they did very well, also included a visit to the poolside restaurant for dinner, that was fantastic.
The entertainment staff were very good especially Ilaria and I enjoyed water gym and Pilates.
One little complaint, we arrived in the early hours of the morning, hungry and in need of refreshment and there was nothing available apart from room service, which was a shame.
Overall though, all staff especially the greeters in the restaurant, entertainment and most of the bar staff were friendly and we had a great time

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Karen P
Bet Dagan, HaMerkaz, Israel
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

I dont usually write that bad opinions, but this one feels like a duty for me. The hotel has stupid illogical rules about the dress code in the dining room, my friend wore closed shoes and a jeans that is longer than the knee, which can never be used as a bathing suit or other not respected actions. The manager sent us to the room for replacing, causing us tons of shame and emberrasement. Everytime you go to the dining room you need to wait for ten minutes at least just to get in, there are terrible long lines at the entrance. If that is not enough, you can drink nothing during meals without paying exegerated prices for it, even bottle of water, which cost 2 euros. When we got onto the hotel, we waited til 1440, though the crew promised me that ill get my room key in 1400. When i finally got to my room, it was open and three ladies were working on it, making me wait for another five minutes. In addition to all that, hot water were a rare issue, since most time none of it was available. Terrible hotel, awful conditions, very bad crew and management. Stay out of that hotel and never even say its name.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Daniel E
Theofilos L, Manager at Amathus Beach Hotel Rhodes, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear DanielE,

I delayed my response to your review because as per your conversation with our Front Office Manager you said that you were angry when you wrote your review and it didn't represent the reality.

Regarding your comments for the dress code I would like to point out that nobody ever argued with you for the style of your capri trousers, the reason my colleague asked you to wear long trousers has to do with the fact that this applies to all guests and respected by all guests. My colleague asked you in a very discreet manner to respect this rule as all other guests do but the following night you came with shorts again at the restaurant and argued that you wanted to wear a mini skirt as some of our female guests do. We meant no disrespect to you or your friend and I apologize if we offended you in any way, my colleagues only try to implement a policy which is expected by the majority of our guests.

Concerning your check in please accept my apologies for finding my colleagues in the room upon arrival and I would like to remind you that check in time is after 14:00 and you got your room at 14:15. We do our best to prepare as many rooms as possible before the official check in time but unfortunately this is not always possible.

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and I hope we will have the chance to welcome you back.

Kind regards
Theofilos Lakkas
Hotel Manager
(operation@rodianamathus.gr)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Amathus Beach in June 2013 and we were delighted with the hotel, facilities and above all, the great staff. We initially were booked into the main hotel and had a room on the 8th floor with an excellent sea view. Room was spacious and cleaned every day. We were pleasantly surprised with the space around the complex, with the pool on the roof and the pools in the grounds having plenty of sunbeds at all times. The food was excellent and we took full advantage! The restaurant staff were so friendly and made a real effort to remember your name. No mean feat given the number of guests. They made every effort to remember your seating preferences and little things like this were appreciated. Katerina, Demi and Domenique were a real credit to the hotel. After a few days, we upgraded to the Elite Suites and we enjoyed the luxury and the spa. Wonderful experience and we have booked up again this year. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
17 Thank Saintsboy72
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Our stay at the Amathus Beach Hotel was my first experience of going all inclusive. Although I always liked the idea I had been put off by thoughts of warm beer in plastic cups and arm bands etc etc. I am also fussy about my food and wasn’t sure what to expect.

Having had a fantastic week at the Amathus I am sold on “All inclusive” if done properly and the Amathus gets it spot on. The food and choice were excellent. The service and staff friendly and attentive. The choice and quality of all inclusive drinks at the bars was also very good indeed. The local beer was nice, cold and served in a proper glass to the table. I know some reviews mention about having to sign off your drinks all the time. Admittedly it is a bit different but you soon get used to it and would rather do that than have an armband on all holiday.

My two tips when staying here. Enjoy the roof top pool it is lovely and the views exceptional. Also for convenience and ease pay the little extra for a taxi from the hotel when going to Rhodes old town. It is worth it :-) In short Fantastic Holiday !!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Adrian H
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I booked a weeks holiday here for the first week of October for my husbands 30th Birthday.

I booked this hotel as we were married in the Amathus beach hotel in Paphos and found the hotel and staff there to be amazing.

The hotel has a beautiful pool/garden area and lovely seating area's around the pools/bars and dinning areas. Our room was lovely and we had paid for a sea view room which was nice to sit out on an evening and watch the beautiful sunset.

We had a lovely week exploring Rhodes and hired a car for 2 days and went to Lindos and also hired bikes from the hotel and cycled to the old town,

With the exception of 1 evening, we chose not to have our meals at the hotel as we prefer to go out and eat in local restaurants. Despite it nearly being the end of the season we found some lovely restaurants, in particular I would recommend Le Gourmet and Sirtaki where we went to both twice.

We splurged on a couples massage and would definitely recommend this.

The island has a problem with cat neutering and unfortunately there are many strays. There are several spots on the island where they are cared for and collect donations from tourists.
As a cat lover I was very pleased to see that the staff did not mistreat the cats and allowed them to roam the hotel grounds. A lot of guests (myself included) would feed them in the morning so I think they do ok for food although I don't know what happens to them out of season. There was talk amongst other guests that they were bagged up and drowned but I sincerely hope that is not the case.

Overall we very much enjoyed our stay here and would return but it didn't quite live up to the excellence we experienced in Paphos and as it is a lot bigger it didn't have the same personal touch, so if you were choosing between the 2 I would opt Paphos.
I was also slightly disappointed that we had to queue for breakfast every morning despite the hotel hardly being full.

Room Tip: a sea view is worth paying for, otherwise you are just facing trees on the cliffs and get no sunligh...