“Brilliant”

Sentido Ixian Grand
Ranked #19 of 126 Hotels in Rhodes Town
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Me and my family have been coming to the ixian grand for over 20 years and love it we like most of all the little Greek bar just down the road from the hotel called Phillips bar it is exalent food cheep local beer very friendly and very peaceful and I recommend it to anyone who visits Rhodes

• Stayed: June 2012
3  Thank Tonybryan1923

Reviewed 2 July 2012

I booked this hoilday through Secret Escapes back in January thinking I had got a really good deal, which I didnt, it was the same price elsewhere for the same deal and cheaper nearer the time.

My mum and I went away for a week in the sun which we definatly got, the hotel was lovely however I dont think its of a 5 star standard. We were very lucky and got upgraded to a Delux Room from a Garden Room. We met some people that were in the Garden Rooms and they said they were old a bit grimy and the views were definatly not of the garden!

My only complaint about the room was that you have to share a bed, great for a couple but not so good for my mum and I. We asked to pay to upgrade but were told even the suites only have 1 bed in which I find very strange for a hotel. They could have made the sofa in our room into a bed but it was quite small and then there would have been no room to get onto the balcony. So we stayed in the bed which was fortunatly very large!

There was no gym which I thought should be standard for a 5 star hotel. The package included evening meals which was a buffet. The quantity of food was very good however the quality was very average, we ate out 4 nights in the week but I will say the Greek food I get in my local restaurant was better!

The hotel was on the beach which was stones so we bought shoes to go into the sea with, or else do the stone dance like the people that didnt buy sea shoes. Quite amuzing to watch!

There were a few bars and restaurants near the hotel. Rhodes town was only 6K away and we went there a couple of time,s its easy on the bus which costs 2.10 euros or 15ish in a taxi. Well worth a vist.

We went on a boat tripto Lindos that we sorted out ourselevs, there are lots of boats that offer these trip,s we walked along the harbour and booked one, check how many people they take, we were offered a trip by our Olympic rep at the hotel 40 euros and the boat had 200 people on it ours was 20 euros and only held 45 max (38 the day we went so lots of space and very comfortable) The boat was the Sophia a great set up.

I would not go back to Rhodes, stupid though this sounds it wasn't very Greek!! I think on the whole Rhodes is too touristy I prefer the smaller islands, with sandy coves that have little tavernas on the beach with the smell of BBQ'd meat in the air. We didnt find this on our holiday but we still had a lovely week away!

Room Tip: Dont book a garden room
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
13  Thank michellebrown2000
Reviewed 30 June 2012

We spent our two weeks honeymoon at The Ixian Grand Hotel 20th of may- 3d june and overall we are very pleased with our stay.

We had read all reviews here on Tripadvisor and were a bit worried before we got there. The main problem seems to be that most people who complain about the standard of this hotel are not aware that a 5 star hotel in Greece cannot be compared to other 5 stars hotels around the globe, and some are even critical before they get there , just looking for things to complain about. Yes, it does need renovation i agree but why spend your holiday just looking for flaws instead of enjoying the positive sides! Afterall you are there to enjoy the sun not to stay locked up in a room.

We stayed in one of the Maisonettes and was very pleased! The room was very clean and the area was quiet, it had some minor flaws but it did not bother us very much. The gardens where amazing and the Alazonia resturant keept us well fed with excellent 5 corse dinners and a lovely breakfast every day. We where spoiled rotten with the good food! We absolutely loved the hardworking staff in that resturant who made us feel very welcome during our stay.

The reception however could be a bit more service minded, specially when answering questions. We experienced that we almost did not get the time to ask a question before we where "bitten" of with a sour response.( The usual questions one has as a first time visitor, where things are etc ) However there were a couple of receptionists that took good care of us and gave us good service.

We had asked for a Maisonette on the ground floor but when we got there, we did get one with a pool on the balcony. Considering that it was sunny on our balcony only untill midday we where not very pleased and the pool did not have any lighting in the evening. Afterall we had chosen the suites beacuse we wanted the privacy and to enjoy eachothers company during the honeymoon but this meant that we would have to go down to the main pool to get some sun the rest of the day. My husband therefore asked nicely if it was possible to change to another suite and the next day we got one on the ground floor and we where very very pleased.

The suite was cleaned every day and we got more fresh towells than we could use. They even came every night to ask if we needed any thing like refill of coffe, tea or anything else. Outstanding service in my opinion!

The cats that are around the hotel we where aware of before we got there, but i did find it a bit annoying when they where hanging around our table during lunchtime at the restaurant by the pool, begging for food and picking fights with eachother. But overall they did not bother us much.

My advice to the "difficult" guests ; be nice to the hardworking staff there, you get nowhere beeing rude and causing scenes ( as we unfortunately witnessed a couple of times ) spreading you negativity on to other guests. It is ok to complain but do it with manners! Most problems can be solved with the right attitude. Some people unfortunately think that just because they have payed for one room - they own the whole hotel during the period of time and can do what ever they please without consideration to other guests and the people who work there and that is a pitty!

My final advice is that if you choose to stay at Ixian Grand, pay for a suite rather than staying at the main hotel with the buffet dinners and problems of getting a sunbed. It is truly worth the money! And DO pay a visit to Philips bar just minutes away from the hotel - it's a heartwarming place with nice prices and a nice big Greek family <3

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank fru-larsson
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Went to the Ixian Grand for my partners 50th birthday. What a treat it was. We were welcomed by Tina & Sandra on reception, they were so lovely throughout our whole stay.
We were booked into a deluxe sea view room which was fabulous. The room was spacious very clean & the bath on the balcony a lovely touch. The view was breathtaking.
Although it was a buffet, the food was really varied, very fresh and plentiful. No complaints at all.
We paid for an upgrade to a Grand Suite for our last few days and were blown away with it. Total relaxation & peace & quiet.
We just can't wait to go back now.
Fabulous place, fabulous people

Room Tip: If you can afford it go for a sea view room, so worth it
3  Thank Carol U
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Let me start by saying thank you for a beautiful week at this hotel. Many thanks to Tina at Reception, to Panagiotis at the restaurant and all the people who made our vacations back to Rhodes soooo nice.
We read some reviews about rooms with no good view so we chose to book a sea view room (cost is higher but all nice things in life cost something more :-)) The room was nice clean and with very nice sea view. The location is great and all pictures match the rooms and the facilities.
Some advice to the people writing bellow and causing us so much stress before our trip there "do not lie about the view, if you book a room at the back view you will not see the sea this is why they are called back view rooms". We were very worried about our vacation because we thought that people book nice view rooms and they end up with back view. That was not the case. We booked a sea view room and that was given to us and to many more people that checked in with us.
Now to the negative things. Some people wake up at 6 o'clock and reserve the sun beds but that is just bad people doing stupid things so we found our sunbeds with the help of the bell boys and the very polite waitress from the beach bar. We are Greek-Italians so we know that Greek people will help you as long as you ask them nicely. This is how we made our vacation extra special. If you ask anyone in Greece nicely they will do anything to help you same goes for the taxi drivers, when asking for directions at the street (someone even offered us a drive to the old town while looking for a taxi from Filerimos monastery).
We also had to wait some time to go to our table at breakfast and dinner but we understand that we had to be shown to our table by the staff. They were very polite at teh restaurant but they can also be faster with the coffee or the drinks at night.

Overall we will go back there for sure and we will ask for the same room 312 which was great.

8  Thank ChrisaP7
Reviewed 23 June 2012

My wife and I have just come back from a week holiday in Rhodes staying at the Ixian Grand, half board. This hotel claims to be Five Star but we feel it is more like a three Star.
What I like about this hotel is the location, it is right by the pebble beach, our room is fairly big and clean, the two swimming pools seem clean.
What I don't like is the unstable wifi facilities in the Lobby, 6 out of our 7 days stay, most of the time there were no signals, I was relying on their wifi to get emails, etc., so it was frustrating. The food was not great and not much variety. The air conditioning in our room was not that cold for the first 4 days and eventually stopped working altogether. Our room was facing the main road and it was noisy in the night with the motorbikes. For a few days the wind was quite strong, we found out the patio doors were loose and was rattling like mad, luckily the wind is not strong in the nights, so we could get some sleep.
Overall it is an average hotel.

7  Thank boho2000
Reviewed 22 June 2012

This hotel was sold to me as a 5* hotel. I realised from the price I paid, and trip advisor reviews it wasn't, but the photos showed a good pool, lovely rooms and close to Rhodes town,so I accepted the opinion of others that it was probably 4*.
The reception was light and airy, checking in was ok and then the nightmare began..........
The room,(359) was black as coal, and the smell of mould was evident. The dressing table was mouldy and the floors tiles were chipped and dirty. The air conditioning didnt work,and the staff could not care less. 3 adjacent rooms were being refurbished during our stay and the workmen started at 6am,with jackhammers and drills as our dawn chorus..
The bathroom was so old, all the fitting has corroded and a small drain in the bathroom floor often bubbled up with dankwater. The bathroom window had a huge crack in it and when my daughter was in the shower ,she opened it and the whole window fell into the bath. The hairdryer was bound with tape and we were afraid to use it.The " garden view" was a small overgrown patch of scrub land complete with plastic bottles and old scraps of carrier bag,The small patio was covered with bird poo and never clean during our stay
The hotel refused to move us,and the Olympic rep was unco-operative,she was "way to busy" in other resorts and in her opinion the hotel was full. A call from my partner in the uk resulted in him advising me the hotel had availability in several refurbished rooms and suites. But the hotel,even with this info insisted they were full.
The pool chairs were old, far to few and the wheels fell off when trying to move them and the beach towels so thin they had no absorbancy.
The food on offer at the evening meal was extremly poor quality ,tasteless and often cold. One meat choice or no meat at all and the queue to get into the dining room was on average a 15 mins wait.
We abandoned trying and ate at several lovely local restaurants......
The only "good" was a couple of girls at the pool bar were delightful ,helpful and happy!!For the most part everything else, staff, rooms, food, comfort was terrible,and I mean terrible..
Beleive me when I say the photos of the rooms are deceptive,be warned!!!
So in conclusion,stay away, save your money and research many of the other hotels around,of which thereare many,and eat at the local places,you ll have a much better holiday than anything the Ixian grand can offer.

Room Tip: ring and ask which room numbers are those which have been refurbished and are at the front of the ho...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Rodos Park Suites & Spa
Rodos Park Suites & Spa
#6 of 126 in Rhodes Town
Atrium Prestige Thalasso Spa Resort and Villas

Been to Sentido Ixian Grand? Share your experiences!