“Beautiful!”

Sentido Ixian Grand
Ranked #18 of 126 Hotels in Rhodes Town
Reviewed 16 July 2012

This is a very beautiful hotel and they try very hard to keep up the 5 stars. It´s just not fair to compare a 5 star in Greece with a 5 star in northern Europe, especially not now with the economic recession. Before we went here we was a bit worried regarding to the bad reviews in the restaurant, but we were surprised in a good way. The service was excellent! The waiter took our drinkorder just when we arrived to the table and we got our drinks very quickly. The food is very good and it´s plenty to choose from.They have a dresscode in the restaurant so gentlemen have to wear long trousers otherwise they can not eat there, the negative here is that some women had shorts and a bikintop and they could eat there, of course the women should have a nice dress too! The pool is clean and the garden area is beautiful. The rooms are not 5star standard compared to northern Europe but there are beautiful views of the sea. All staff that we met were very nice and polite. It´s a lot of different nationalites and the children got friends from other parts of Europe, they had so fun even without talking to each other! All in all we had a very good experience from Ixian Grand and we will be back some day!
I also have to recommend the fish-spa just a few minutes away left from the hotel on the mainroad. The fish-spa is a tickling experience and the pedicure are beautifully perfect and the girl who ownes the place is very nice.

Room Tip: Choose a sea view room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Camillann
Write a ReviewReviews (1,599)

Reviewed 15 July 2012

We have just returned from a week at the Ixian Grand and have left with very mixed feelings about it. Our week was for a special wedding anniversary celebration and the hotel looked absolutely perfect for what we wanted; we aren't regular package holiday goers and usually prefer self catering but for once we fancied being spoilt and a bit of luxury!! We booked after looking at the wonderful photographs, but didn't read any reviews until the next day and then realised that all was not as it seemed. We tried to cancel with the agent but couldn't, though they agreed to let the hotel know of our doubts as they sometimes give free upgrades as a goodwill gesture.

When we arrived we were astounded to be given a beachfront suite with our own pool - in fact the very one that feature in most of the photographs - at no extra cost. It was amazing, huge, cool and well equipped though not as chic or spotless as you might expect. The gardens surrounding the suites are the best feature of the hotel, beautiful calm clean spaces with trees and shrubs edging tiled walkways with the sound of running water making it altogether very serene. As a full paying suite guest you don't ever have to leave this beautiful area as you would also have the benefit of taking your meals in the smart Alazonia restaurant nearby.

As upgraded guests, however, we had to walk to eat in the main Viz a Viz restaurant (which is really more like a canteen) and it is this part of the experience that makes us say that this is two hotels in one. The food is plentiful, choice of salads are excellent but main courses are bland, and not always hot; there wasn't one meal where we fancied seconds! There aren't enough staff and trying to catch the eye of the coffee and wine waiters is an art - sometimes breakfast was nearly over before we got a coffee. The staff generally seem stressed and unhappy - maybe the presence of the boss who is constantly pulling them off one task to do something else. Another bad feature of the restaurant are the clearing stations in the centre where plates are cleaned of waste food and crockery stacked - not pleasant to sit beside to eat your meal. This is definitely not a five star experience - in any country.

We were lucky enough to have our own pool and sunbeds so didn't have to fight - but I agree with previous comments that there should be some way of policing the claiming of sunbeds early in the morning and holding on to them all day - at times about half sunbeds are empty with just a towel laying claim to them while owners disappear for hours. The pool and garden area though is lovely and the Milonges bar a nice retreat, if expensive.

We feel a bit churlish criticising given the very generous upgrade we had and if we could we would rate the suite experience 4 star. I can only imagine the quality of the room we would have had (Deluxe sea view was booked) but having been given a deluxe room to shower in on our last day I don't think we would have been impressed so I'm afraid that part of the hotel only scores a 2 to 3 star.

Like other commenters, the main problems seem to be around some staff not being very welcoming (apart from the lovely girl who welcomes you to the restaurant) or doing their jobs well, although the fact that the restaurant staff staged a strike one morning at breakfast suggests that all is not well with the management. There must be more customer friendly systems of running a restaurant and the hotel should not underestimate the importance of good customer service - a smile goes a long way. Also the fabric of the hotel is a bit shabby in places - even our suite could have done with a bit of tlc.

All in all we did enjoy our holiday but mainly because of the upgrade - for which we remain very grateful. Otherwise it would have been a disappointment and definitely not what the photographs on the hotel website depict !!

Room Tip: If you can afford a suite then do, you will find it a completely different experience to a regular r...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Barbs507
Reviewed 14 July 2012

My daughter and I have just returned from a weeks stay in a superior garden view room - disappointing and not 5* quality at all - no views except of hedge. Restaurant OK but breakfast poor. Communal areas were lovely and also the pools and great to have direct and private access to the sea. Majority of staff not very friendly particularly in restaurant. Location good with local bus(gets very busy at night) into Rhodes close by. Drinks and particularly water very expensive 3.50 euros for bottle of water - buy your own drinks at local supermarket. No rowdy evening entertainment which was great for us.Room clean and towels and sheets changed daily, unless they were on strike! Air conditioning very poor. Overall we had a lovely week but did eat out in Rhodes on several occasions. Weather spectacular.

Room Tip: Check what garden view you have. Some rooms very dark.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank candhan
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I just returned from Ixian, and i was really dissapointed with the accomodations. I really wanted a 5 star experience, and but only got a garden/street view with loads of ants. Upon my arrival i found my bathroom was infested with Ants, big and small. I called the front desk, and eventually someone came with a spray can, which they left with me. I literally sprayed everyday, and they assured me it wasn't common, but nothing else they could do. The room was meager, and i asked for an upgrade but they were booked. The rest of the hotel was nice, so if you can get a better room, maybe the experience would be better. in my opinion, i have stayed around the world, and a lot of 3 star hotels were cleaner! i have several ant bites, as they were also in the bed--seriously!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
14  Thank Kenyu B
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Should have been Amazing …but it wasn’t

This is a nice enough hotel but its main let down is that its not run very well. I was there the last week in June 2012 and the place was very busy. Maybe it was just bad luck but majority of other customers were really rude especially at the self service buffet. I had to check at one point that I wasn’t invisible as they were literally trying to walk through me.

The buffet was decent enough. The food was in my opinion quite bland but there was plenty of it, but I also noticed plenty of wastage. The breakfast juices were the worst juices I have tasted. Sounds trivial I know but how can I five star hotel get something so wrong? Also at dinner they were overwhelmed by the numbers.On two occasions we didn’t get our ordered drinks until after we finished our meals and we placed the order when we sat down. The other nights we just simply couldn’t get served and gave up…by the way there are no drinks on offer as part of the half board in the evening which made the difficulty in getting a drink even more noticeable. They could have at least supplied water.

We nearly always had to queue to get seated in the restaurant for on average five mins. Only one staff member that we encounter was overly polite…you will recognise her as she is the only one that smiles.

We had lunch on the first day as the pool side restaurant , the food was basic and very slow. They didn’t seem like they could cope with the number of guest.

The pools are nice and I enjoyed these the most. Thought at times they were full of kids. I have nothing against kids but just pointing it out that at times a kids club was using the fresh water pool so if you want to read/peace and quite get a sunbed well away from the pool. That is of course if your lucky enough to get a sun bed as they were like hens teeth. Lots and by lots I mean all except those with no shade were reserved by 0830 on the first morning. This seemed to be the norm. if you want a choice of sunbed be prepared to bring your alarm clock and get up circa 700 to go and reserve your sunbed.

I hate to leave a critical review of this place as I hoped it was going to be amazing and perhaps I went with too high expectations… my advice to management to improve :

More sun bed especially ones with shade
Don’t allow people to reserve sunbeds or allocate sunbeds via room or have a person who allocates sunbeds at the pool bar
Lower prices at the pool bar and you will sell more (12.50 for a beer and coke is the reason everyone brings there own)
Customer service training for staff- a simple smile goes a long way
More staff – My impression was you simply couldn’t cope with the number of guests
Free water with dinner would take the pressure or waiting staff ps its very cheap at your local supermarket
Breakfast juices- try them yourself and if you like them or would be happy with them then fine. If not improve them.

These are just some suggestions. I hope you listen to them

Room Tip: superior garden view rooms were very nice
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank gazhumphrey
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Me and my family have been coming to the ixian grand for over 20 years and love it we like most of all the little Greek bar just down the road from the hotel called Phillips bar it is exalent food cheep local beer very friendly and very peaceful and I recommend it to anyone who visits Rhodes

• Stayed: June 2012
3  Thank Tonybryan1923
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I booked this hoilday through Secret Escapes back in January thinking I had got a really good deal, which I didnt, it was the same price elsewhere for the same deal and cheaper nearer the time.

My mum and I went away for a week in the sun which we definatly got, the hotel was lovely however I dont think its of a 5 star standard. We were very lucky and got upgraded to a Delux Room from a Garden Room. We met some people that were in the Garden Rooms and they said they were old a bit grimy and the views were definatly not of the garden!

My only complaint about the room was that you have to share a bed, great for a couple but not so good for my mum and I. We asked to pay to upgrade but were told even the suites only have 1 bed in which I find very strange for a hotel. They could have made the sofa in our room into a bed but it was quite small and then there would have been no room to get onto the balcony. So we stayed in the bed which was fortunatly very large!

There was no gym which I thought should be standard for a 5 star hotel. The package included evening meals which was a buffet. The quantity of food was very good however the quality was very average, we ate out 4 nights in the week but I will say the Greek food I get in my local restaurant was better!

The hotel was on the beach which was stones so we bought shoes to go into the sea with, or else do the stone dance like the people that didnt buy sea shoes. Quite amuzing to watch!

There were a few bars and restaurants near the hotel. Rhodes town was only 6K away and we went there a couple of time,s its easy on the bus which costs 2.10 euros or 15ish in a taxi. Well worth a vist.

We went on a boat tripto Lindos that we sorted out ourselevs, there are lots of boats that offer these trip,s we walked along the harbour and booked one, check how many people they take, we were offered a trip by our Olympic rep at the hotel 40 euros and the boat had 200 people on it ours was 20 euros and only held 45 max (38 the day we went so lots of space and very comfortable) The boat was the Sophia a great set up.

I would not go back to Rhodes, stupid though this sounds it wasn't very Greek!! I think on the whole Rhodes is too touristy I prefer the smaller islands, with sandy coves that have little tavernas on the beach with the smell of BBQ'd meat in the air. We didnt find this on our holiday but we still had a lovely week away!

Room Tip: Dont book a garden room
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
#13 of 126 in Rhodes Town
Amathus Elite Suites
Amathus Elite Suites
#4 of 126 in Rhodes Town

Been to Sentido Ixian Grand? Share your experiences!