“Second Visit and Definitely the Last!!”

Sentido Ixian Grand
Ranked #20 of 126 Hotels in Rhodes Town
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Stayed here from September into October. Arrived after midnight and was given a room on the ground floor in one of the garden blocks despite having requested main building and upper floor. Was advised nothing can be done tonight, come back tomorrow. Great welcome! The first room I was given, room 161, was disgusting. I had a list of nine faults which I took to reception the next morning including no flush working on the toilet. Before I even gave the room number the receptionist, Tina, said immediately room 161 - why put a guest in a room when they know it has issues. I was offered another room one directly across the corridor, room 162 which I took after close inspection. Having visited this hotel in 2009, I can only summarise one thing - rapidly gone downhill - I said last time definitely not 5 start however I would be struggling this time to say 2 stars - that would be insulting to 2 star hotels everywhere.

Room - second room fine, spacious but very dark due to its situation. The veranda is never cleaned as I had bird feathers there for most of my stay. However, all electrics worked and bed was comfy but sheets not changed until day 8 of my stay. Good job I'm not a sweaty individual!! Towels are threadbare and of very poor quality. The pool towels issued are the same ones given in the bathroom and towel supply is sporadic, same with bathmats. The stainless steel soap dish at the bathroom sink was not cleaned for the entire duration of my stay - unknown in good quality hotels.

Food - boring and repetitive and lukewarm. Yes it was replaced frequently but I can't say I had anything that was hot. Some of the staff in the dining room (the waiter who services the tables to the left as you enter was extremely ignorant and I had on many occasions to request coffee in the morning as he tended to ignore me - maybe as I was a female travelling alone - not sure but he was extremely rude). On the other side, the waiting staff were polite and friendly. The Head Waiter seemed to spend his time changing table linen and the girl who greeted at the door didn't have a clue what she was doing - one night my room number was missing from her "list" and she had a panic attack! Summary - restaurant is organized chaos with poor quality food. If you want a second cup of coffee at breakfast you need to ask for it - that didn't happen 4 years ago when it was in plenty supply. As for the breakfast juice, the grapefruit juice is equivalent to coloured water and the orange juice is not fresh, but diluted crap. Needless to say I ate out a lot. Can recommend the small Italian at the top of the road - on the main road in Ixia, very good pizza!

Communal areas - the pool area is frequently muddy early in the day. I always preferred the beach here for my sunbathing but just as you leave the decked area at the bottom of the pool bar there was a disgusting smell of sewage which continued for the duration despite them trying to hose away one day with disinfectant however this wasn't getting to the crux of the issue. The sunbeds have definitely seen better days and the mattresses are disgusting - don't know when they were last cleaned and/or washed. You definitely need your towels (remember and bring your own though).

To summarise I was extremely disappointed - did I complain - NO, no point as my first interaction re the room chaos was not acknowledged. Also I came back to my room one day to find it had been left unlocked and not closed properly by the cleaning staff. On complaining I was asked to go and see if anything was missing - no apology or consideration given to the fact I was shaken that someone could have been in my room. However, next day I came into a bottle of wine and some fruit presumably as an apology - needless to say it was still sitting there when I left. A face to face apology from management and a meal in the better restaurant would have been more fitting. Again, another example of really poor customer service. They advertise a Spa - this is a converted bedroom - ie beauty treatment room, not a spa yet they charge spa prices - take a massage from the Chinese on the beach - far better value for money. Management at Ixian - visit the Atrium Palace in Kalathos - you'll then see what a Spa really looks like.

There are many better places in Rhodes to stay and I will definitely NEVER return to the Ixian Grand - poor standards - its as though they haven't done any improvements or maintenance since I was there 4 years ago. Staff attitudes are poor, rooms are a hit or a miss, food is not good, prices are high and overall the experience was bad. I had read some comments before I left but put this down to a few disgruntled customers. Apologies to those people, having experienced this place myself and the changes since I was last there, I absolutely understand why you wrote what you did.

My advice - go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank pm590
SENTIDO_Ixian_Grand, General Manager at Sentido Ixian Grand, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2014

Dear friend,

Thank you taking the time to review our hotel online. Your opinion means a lot to us. We first want to apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and for not having met your standards and expectations. We understand that you have requested a room in the main building, but for your information please note that the rooms in the main building belong to another, more upgraded room type. If you have booked at first a room type in the main building i.e. Deluxe Garden View or Sea View, you would not have been allotted to a room in the annex building i.e. Superior Garden Wing rooms. To continue, we would like to inform you that a major renovation is taking place in the hotel at the moment in order to eliminate deficiencies of past years.

We hope to see you in the near future back in our SENTIDO Ixian Grand and offer you the experience you deserve. We remain at your disposal for any help or information you may require.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

dirty rooms, mold in bathroom, will never return even if i get paid for being their. water dripping from lobby roof... actually water dripping every where
food was terrible.
complained at the reception did not even get any response...
lived in standars room.

public areas like the lobby bar was ok. pool area look good, but worn
don't know how the suits are though..

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jani P

Dear friends,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel online and express your impressions. We accept critics in order to identify the pros and cons of our hotel. We feel sorry for not having met your expectations. In this particular period, there is a renovation taking place in our SENTIDO Ixian Grand, after which we feel really confident that will upgrade our hotel, in order to provide the accommodation, service standards, comfort and welcome feeling you deserve. We really hope to welcome back sometime change your view about our property.

Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

the hotel is not what the picture shows.
it got a building above the loby with great rooms and view, a section of suites that is amazing!!
but no they out us in a seperate building that after half hour rain was
flooded like we are in a tent.
we where on 4 floor and elevator goes up till the 3rd only .with 2people max abord.
the bar was good and most of staff was nice and helpfull. exept of the reception they was angry 24/7 .
at dinner a 250ml coca cola bottle was 3 euro.
5 stars hotel??? i dont think so

• Stayed: October 2013

Dear guests,

Thank you for the time you have taken to review our hotel online. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during your stay. We regret the fact we did not meet your expectations. Major changes that are taking place in the hotel at the moment will improve every point of your comments. You may contact us directly in case you need more information or help.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

We were visiting your hotel "Ixian grand" a month ago with our 4 years lovely daughter.
our daughter has special needs due to her motor disabilities.
the hotel team service was beyond expectation. And we had a great time.

Thank you!!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Stayed there in the middle of September. The weather was amazing, a bit windy sometimes. We arrived late, so went straight to bed (we got our baby with us) and the first night was really a nightmare due to the uncomfortable bed. It basically meant almost like sleeping on top of a pillow, the mattress was way too soft and you would end up with a back and neck ache. Next day we were advised to turn the mattress around, which my husband did and that solved the problem. The room was fine, expect from the cigaret mark on the bed cover which was quite disgusting. The biggest disappointment was that there was no wifi in our room. The hotel is nice, the lobby area is spaceous, the pool area is great and the beach is nice. The other disappointment was the breakfast/dinner buffet. The food was quite the same every day and could have been tastier, the fruit selection was boring. The restaurant staff seemed to be moody and with an attitude at times. The restaurant manager ,guy with the suit was very helpful. The reception staff could be more helpful.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Dear friends,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. Further to your comments we would like to apologize for any inconvenience during your stay and for not having met your expectations. We ensure you that we will do anything possible to fix the aforementioned failures. We would love to see you back in the future for a better experience and the accommodation you really deserve. We remain at your disposal for any additional information you may require.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

Stayed for a week with my husband from the 11th to 18th September. Had a sea view room, this was located at the front of the building, ie not parallel to the sea but we had a unrestricted view and got a good bit of people watching in as we could see all the comings and goings at the hotel entrance! Room number 332.

Hotel looks very grand when you walk in, the staff were very helpful and friendly. We stayed half board so brekkie and evening meal included. Food was of good quality, plenty of choice and fresh food was constantly brought out even 20 minutes before they stopped serving! Breakfast is 7-10am, advise to go after 9 as is quieter and better atmosphere. Evening meal from 6.30-9.30pm and after 8pm is quieter and more chance of nicer seat near the window/pool area. Go during busier times at your peril!

Plenty of sunbeds when we went and we are not early risers! Towels exchanged at pool bar no problems.

Only problem we had was with our key card, at least once a day we had to go back to reception from our room(third floor) to get the card recharged as it would not work. Do not put in your wallet or purse of wallet or anywhere where the magnet strip may get rubbed, this seemed to render it useless!
Oh and during busy times(ie around 9am and 5pm) the water pressure drops, alot! And our hot water even stopped twice during our stay. I think it shouldn't be too much to expect a large hotel to be able to keep up with water demand and when you've just shampoo'd your hair when it happens it's pretty annoying.....

All in all a very good hotel, described as 5 star, more like a good 3 practically, looks very good but the above niggles are not 5 star IMO. The west of the island tends to be windy, we had a few days of calm weather and swimming in the sea was great but on 2 days it was so windy the waves were huge! Not safe really unless windsurfing!

A good base for the rest of Rhodes, Ixia is ok as a resort but it's only 10 mins to Rhodes town on the bus so I would advise people to leave the resort and explore.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms not neccesarily facing sea - check if you really want the sea view room. The ones par...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 September 2013

This is a glorious location, and the facilities are beautiful. But, you want the staff and the upkeep to be better.

We had trouble getting the Ixian Grand staff to honour the arrangements with Thomas Cook-such as paying for "a pool or garden view"-and we were given neither- our room was over the entrance so busses, taxis and cars arriving and departing all night, as well as overlooking the massive air conditioning unit and having a "view of the water" if you leant out from the balcony. We were told that the road was at least private-but has a lot of traffic and overlooks a vacant, unpleasant lot. Also, we were supposed to get with our half board, one night in the a la cart restaurant-and we finally did after a lot of discussion and being made to go back and forth between the front desk and the restaurant manager. Be VERY careful to be aware of what you have paid for and take the contract with you that you get on email. Ixian Grand is not helpful in straightening these things out.

Our room was not spotless, although large. The beds are comfy. Towel situation is dire-not the best quality nor are they in the best shape. You are not given new ones everyday and the shower mats are scarce. Thomas Cook said that there would be slippers as well as the bathrobes but there were none in either room. Bear in mind that the floor in the rooms are tiled so take some comfy slippers with you-it does wear on you after a few days.

Important to note that they do not want you to flush any, as in NO, toilet paper down the toilet-so there is a bin next to the toilet some poor housekeepers have to empty everyday. So your bathroom starts to smell like what is on the toilet paper.....

A fellow commentator is wrong-not every room as a jacuzzi so do not expect on if you did not pay for it. Only some of the rooms have a jacuzzi.

We were finally moved to a "garden view room" which was a better view of the interior gardens. Outside the front door to this room, the wall is crumbling and inside, there was water damaged walls.

We read the trip reviews here before going and found them helpful.

Bear in mind the dining room is VERY noisy and crowded. The Restaurant Manager is not the most pleasant or helpful person. We were astonished by the drama between him and his staff, which on top of the noise and crowdedness, was just not pleasant to be around.

The buffet food was ok enough and a variety if stuff but the same everyday. "Greek Night" just meant the same food was served poolside and the meat was grilled-but the same selection. If you want authentic Greek, then go to a restaurant away from the Hotel-the food was pretty international-and not spiced well. An example: the juice for breakfast was watery and no flavour. Orangeade instead of orange juice. Pitchers of water were lukewarm and not refilled. Buffet server pieces were nasty and not cleaned during the seatings-so they generally had food
covering them, and the little holders they sat in.

The a la carte restaurant was nice because it was more pleasantly quiet but the food, again, was nothing special. Frayed table mats and the napkins were some sort of polyester so they were not up to being used for napkins. We were rushed through the meal.

The gardens are very nice. The beach is rocky until you go out about 3 ft. The pool water, both the salt water pool and the fresh water pool, is really cold and chilled. The beach umbrellas are tatty, with very rusty metal bars holding them up. In the mornings, the grounds have mud patches throughout so watch where you walk. The tiles around the pool are very slippery when wet, and small children were forever falling and having to be comforted. One of the pool showers is covered in green slime-and both pool showers are trickles of water not a 'shower".
Pool bathrooms are disgusting, dark and dank. They were in very poor condition.

This is a place where folks get their towels out by 7:30 to save their seats. it can be very Ruthless. The beach and poolside chaises are very worn and used-and the cushions are never cleaned-lots of bird droppings. The cushions are not brought in at night so are soaking wet in the morning.

There are cats, kittens and stray dogs everywhere, begging. They are pathetically thin. They are friendly and sweet but it is disconcerting to have these poor things there. The Hotel says they feed them "special food" but there is no evidence of that or further info on that. You wonder what will happen when the hotel closes for the season.

Everything in the Hotel is overpriced, like bottled water, etc. so head down to the supermarket-a five minute walk away from the Hotel in Ixia. Water, Wine and etc. can be had at far more reasonable prices. This is an actual supermarket that the Ixians themselves use, an d is not one of the smaller "Supermarkets" that also sell souvenirs. It is closed on a Sunday so plan for that and/or go to one of the smaller supermarkets. We got cheese and nibbles and snacks as the hotel stuff is so very much more pricey. We took a corkscrew in our check in luggage but we did see the front desk loaning out a cork screw. The small refrigerators in the rooms are empty and do keep things chilled.

We also were told after a few days that Greek water has a lot of minerals in it that can affect people with stomach alilments-and it does make you more burpy!

Other reviews mention that there are a lot of Russians there and this is true. They tend to be very noisy and pretty self focused, as in pushing their ways into queues, etc. We saw Russian men being evicted from the restaurant for trying to angle in wearing shorts when trousers are required for men. You do see a large number of very young Russian women with much older men, perhaps their "Uncles"? There were Russian families, with very young children, there as well.

Also, there is NO special areas for smokers-you are walking through smoke, smokers are everywhere-and the rooms have ash trays in them. So you are affected by smoke even on the beach. It would be better if management had designated smokers only rooms/smoke free rooms or sections on the beach.

The front desk, except for two people, were run by some really hard people. The "Concierge" was either absent or ill. You are basically on your own.

Internet very spotty.

On the other side of the super market is Phillip's Bar, which is a very nice place to go and sit, have snack and a beverage-and the host and his family run a great place. Good Chips! Wi-fi available. One of the family created the Zythos beer which is very good-and you can get it on tap at the Hotel as well. But, it is a lovely place to sit out with a cool drink.

We rented a car and went to Lindos which is a nice day trip. We also went on a tour of Rhodes Medieval City which is worthwhile. Rhodes city is just 6 miles from here. Lindos was about an hour away.

One of the nice thing about this Hotel is you are on the beach and it is pretty, with a view towards Turkey. The sky is incredible. Beautiful weather. it is a "blue flag" beach which is comforting. So many Hotels in Rhodes have the beach across a highway so this was very nice to be on the beach.

The pools close at 8pm so no evening swimming which would have been nice.

The bathrooms for the Hotel lobby are in the basement-and are very dark until you managed to find your way into a cubicle and a light comes on.

The hallways in the Hotel are tiled as well so you do have noise from the hallways in your rooms-and again, the Russians were oblivious to the noise they were making in the hallways.

We had to check out of our rooms by 12 noon on the last day. You are allowed to keep your towels and stay on the beach. We left our towels there to go to lunch and then went back to the beach. The Hotel does provide storage for your luggage when you do this. Since you check out, they let you open a credit account for your use for that day-so you can order drinks, etc. However, we went into the restaurant for dinner with our special account number and had a meal- that we had been assured we could do, and the Restaurant Manager's knickers were in a twist with us there but finally things calmed down.

You can make a request for a shower room while you are changing from your suits after you check out. We walked into ours and their were dirty towels stacked up and the shower had floaters in it from the previous shower-ers...as well as a flooded floor. Eeuuuuuw. They are strict about only having the room for 1/2 hour.

You really wish that all the staff communicated with each other better, and that the staff also were more professional as well given classes in diplomacy and manners.

There was a lovely Hungarian girl in the pool bar who was very helpful and pleasant-and a joy.

A man comes along the beach selling fruit and really delicious doughnuts. Also it was weird to have some Oriental people hanging out by the beach, who were NOT Hotel staff, hawking massages all the day long, pestering you and lurking besides the chaises.....

The hotel is VERY hard used and it was the end of the season. Having the beach right there and the two pools is great. The spa was closed.

Very good AC. Good black out curtains so you can block out early bright sun.

Room Tip: Ask for a Main Building room and make sure you have a "garden or pool view-you are not likely t...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Summrs

Dear friends,

Thank you for taking the time to post this detailed review on Trip Advisor. Your opinion is an effective tool in our hands towards the improvement you desire to succeed. Everything you have pointed out in your review will be thoroughly investigated in order to be properly fixed. We feel sorry we have not met your expectations.

We remain at your disposal for any additional information you may require.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhodes Town
Rodos Park Suites & Spa
Rodos Park Suites & Spa
#6 of 126 in Rhodes Town
Atrium Prestige Thalasso Spa Resort and Villas

Been to Sentido Ixian Grand? Share your experiences!