“Ok for some”

Ranked #6 of 126 Hotels in Rhodes Town
nottingham
“Ok for some”
Reviewed 12 December 2011

I stayed here for a week with my boyfriend at the end of June on a half board basis after booking through Thomas Cook. The holiday didn't start out great after an 18 hour flight delay (apparently due to striking at the time however flights with other airlines were leaving to Greece all through the day so who knows...) but upon arrival in Rhodes things improved. We met the rep who sent us to the correct coaches and we were on the transfer for 15-20 minutes. I hadn't been to Greece before and noticed how bare all the surrounding land is which is not something that is particularly to my taste. We were the first hotel to be dropped off and the coach drove off as soon as my boyfriend and I stepped off. No one came to assist us carrying our luggage so we made our way up 20 or so steep steps to the hotel. The reception and lobby area is quite airy and nice, but the decor is perhaps a little dated. The hotel staff were cleaning the area on our arrival which was a good start - at least it was clean. Check in was straight forward despite being a day late due to the delay. We got into a small lift and went to our room. I noticed how dark the corridors are with very little natural light and dimmed lights along the wall. We got into our room which was all made and ready to go with the curtains drawn. I knew we had a balcony so I was looking forward to seeing the view. I opened the curtains and......... It was a building site and a main road, fantastic.. or not. I went to reception to enquire about upgrading to a sea view room which we did for about 50 euros for the week. The view was much better and I ended up spending a lot of time on the balcony, the only downside being that between the hotel and the beach is a rather busy road with a lot of traffic and loud mopeds (which seem to be everywhere). While there is obviously some road noise, I didn't find it disturbing as other reviews that mentioned and I am quite a light sleeper but had no problems. The rooms decor was rather dated and looked worn although it was always clean. Their idea of a double room was two single beds which we pushed together ourselves. The bathroom was quite small and again, dated with a shower that leaked all over the floor. The air conditioning worked well and the towels were changed every other day. In terms of food, it wasn't great. As mentioned above we went on a half board basis and all the meals involved a buffet. The breakfast had quite a selection available including bacon, beans, toast, fruit etc but it was extremely repetitive and remained the same every day I was there. The dinners weren't much better with a choice of salads and some hot dishes that seemed to cater more for guests of other nationalities (I would say the guests were 70% german) and the labelling of them didn't necessarily coincide with which dish it was.. for example it might say 'fish' in front of a meat dish.. not great for vegetarians! I tried the dishes that looked appealing and they were edible, but that is all, really nothing special. The pool at the hotel was quite nice to look at but absolutely freezing even during their peak season. There were plenty of sunbeds around the pool but people reserved them quite early so I took towels down when I went for breakfast. Across the road is the beach which was absolutely awful. I didn't even go in the sea because the sand was full of rocks and was impossible to walk on. It was difficult to relax by the pool and beach being so close to the road side. It is worth noting that the hotel is situated on the windy side of the island and it isn't just a breeze, it is wind. This suited me in 30 degree weather and when I went to Faliraki (the other side) I noticed how still it was and found the heat unbearable. You will be within fairly easy access to the old town and new town but the roads to the old town all look the same and I got lost once of twice. There are a strip of bars about 5 minutes from the hotel too which in the mornings had shattered glass all over them and just looked horrible (near the Shell garage). Some of the roads are quite dangerous so its worth taking extra care when you walk anywhere. There were excursions available through the holiday rep but I found them expensive and did my own. I went to the water park in Faliraki (a free shuttle bus from the town) which was a fantastic day out, a boat trip to Lindos (booked through a company down the road from the hotel... come out of the hotel entrance and turn right), a swim stop boat trip and a day out in faliraki. The rates for these were reasonable when booked independently.

I would recommend this hotel as something cheap and cheerful but it is nothing special. If you want luxury this is definitely not the place for you and I saw a lovely looking 5* hotel on the way into the new town so try that out instead. Would not go again

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
13 Thank emily2010notts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2011

Have stayed here three times now and have already booked for 2012. The pool is large with a handy bar and the beach just across the road (use the underpass) Staff friendly and helpful bath and shower a bit cramped,but rooms cleaned daily and throughly. Food can be a bit repertive but the restaurant has more then enough room.Hotel within easy walking distance of the main shops and harbour. Could do with a reduced rate offered for safe deposit box maybe if staying for more than a week.

Room Tip: Try and get one overlooking the pool,however if travelling solo most of the single rooms overlook th...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank Geoffrey G
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 2 November 2011

Location is perfect. Short walk from Old town, close to the port and beach nearby.
Convinient & free of charge parking is big deal. Staff is friendly enough.
But... rooms are not so comfortable and clean as they should be.

7 Thank Ilya_1985
Saddleworth
Reviewed 1 November 2011

We stayed in the Rhodos Beach hotel in October 11. It is a typical 3* Greek hotel, basic amenities but clean, friendly, in a great position to walk into both the old and new towns and the breakfast was quite adequate. The hot water was always hot too(which isn't always the case in some 3* hotels) There are many many restaurants very close by,(don't walk past Taverna Loot. The food is excellent and the service also very good with free starter and desert. Great value for money) If i have to complain about anything, the beds are not very comfortable, but that is being really picky. We would not hesitate to go back. However we would go a month earlier as the weather was very mixed.

Room Tip: We payed a bite extra for a sea view and were not disappointed
5 Thank SaddleworthClaire
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I just can't understand why people complain when its not necessary, and agree with a previous comment, that if it's luxury you want,you gotta pay the price.
This hotel was just right for me and my wife......we wanted a well earned break and got it.
We had a sea view room,clean and comfortable...beds made every day too, and room cleaned.
The food was very good,and plenty of it......excellent fare,and varied ,to cater for the various nationalities stopping there.
I had a large breakfast every morning...and the three courses every night,except for one night when I eat too much.!
The staff were excellent,and couldn't do enough for us,form the waitresses to the cleaning staff,and reception..
In my limited knowledge of Greek....effcharisto polo kala !!(they'll know what I mean)>!

Room Tip: I enjoyed the sea view room.
13 Thank mancore
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Typical large tourist Hotel a bit run down but in a convenient position ie near the beach and the old town nice but freezing cold unheated swimming pool, rotten busy breakfast , I would not stay again
and it is not four star but the staff were helpfull.Lots of extras for air conditioning internet and safe
I did not use any as this always seems mean to me .

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank andreadriffield
Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2011

Just returned from 14 nights at the Rhodos Beach Hotel..We really enjoyed our stay there the rooms were basic but clean and comfortable. the air con costs 6 euros a night which fortunately we didn't have to use.
there is a fridge in the room but no kettle you can hire one for 7 euros a week.
the pool is small and was mostly in the shade we used the pool in the sister hotel next door which was much bigger with plenty of sun loungers.
the beach is shingle and windy.
The staff were friendly and helpful.and found the hotel met our needs and it was within 20 mins walking distance of the old town and it was close to bars and restaurants.
I would advise anyone staying there to ask for a sea view room.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple