“Read the brochure properly, investigate your destination first & go to Rhodes.”

Hotel Rhodos Horizon Resort
Ranked #7 of 126 Hotels in Rhodes Town
Reviewed 18 May 2012

We recently returned from an 11 night stay in Belvedere Beach Hotel (28th April - 9th May). We enjoyed Rhodes so much that we are thinking of returning in the autumn.

This morning we noticed a newspaper advertisement and decided to check out the named resort in S.E. Rhodes. This led to Tripadviser site and of course had to see what others thought of Belvedere Beach.

I do not usually bother writing reviews but am moved to suggest that folks should read brochure descriptions very carefully and do some homework about the resort. (I overheard someone ask her friend if they were near Spain) In the brochure shown to us at Thomas Cook, proximity to road was stated - therefore expect some traffic noise and take ear plugs to lessen the problem. Buffet style meals were stated and provided for most tastes. We found the choice at the Belvedere Beach good, replenished frequently, hot and satisfying. British guests should not be surprised by the direct approach of other nationalities to getting what they want, so don't take offence if someone rushes in in front of you - they do it at home and it isn't a slight.

We noticed how keen proprietors were to entice us into their establishments and put it down to the being in a city, beginning of season & the dreadful state of the Greek economy. It's hard to blame folk for trying to make a living especially with so much competition. We found that a smile, no thanks just now, we have just eaten or perhaps later, was met with smile and see you type of response. Many people were happy to let you look and chat even if you bought nothing. These people are struggling yet remained polite at all times.

Most places in Greece expect you to bring your own beach/pool towels and these are usually cheaply available locally if you forget. It really is unfair too use bathroom towels for this purpose. Temperatures are better from second week in May onwards, pools & sea warm up throughout the season so try September/October if this is really important to you.

I agree about the funny wee two step bath/shower in some rooms - possibly those with sea view. We met folks who had a 'normal' bath in their pool/sea view room. Nevertheless it was perfectly adequate.

The only complaint my husband has is the pool & sea were a bit cold. He's an excellent swimmer but takes ages to get into cold water! However even he managed to swim in both sea and pool. His own comment - "what do you expect early in the season?"

Many people expect to pay 2 star prices and get 5 star accommodation, service etc. Be realistic and you will not be disappointed. Just be a little tolerant and enjoy your holiday.

Rhodes town is fascinating. City tour bus with hop on/hop off stops is good value @ 9 euros. Boat trips to Symi and Lindos were great - we had three dolphins swimming alongside our boat.

The Belvedere Beach Hotel staff are excellent - polite, interested, helpful and their command of languages is admirable. Entertainment in the hotel on 3 nights a week - Greek Dancing was the best - what fun we had. Go on - give them a try.

Last thought for beach lovers - if you find the sea breeze too cool early in the season, walk round to Kos beach near the Casino and you will find it more sheltered.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms get afternoon sun - nice for a cup of coffee before showering, than a wee glass of so...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
14  Thank Patricia B
Write a ReviewReviews (1,272)

Reviewed 17 May 2012

I had an uncomfortable, crushed up in little space, but otherwise smooth 4.25 hour flight from Newcaste upon Tyne to Rhodes by Thomas Cook Airlines, with acceptable meals & lovely crew, I found a modest and quiet airport with swift baggage claim. However I am told in summer it can handle 300 planes a day, so be warned. The young T. Cook reps were almost artificial in the effervescent hail fellow well met, but the system was efficient and bus found quickly. The transfer was smooth despite several stops and a good arrival at The Belvedere front door. English speaking reception staff were lovely and very helpful throughout my stay. Clean, efficient lifts to my super room - great beds, full sliding doors to balcony, and well furnished. Hotter months would be ok too as individual air-con was fitted. The ensuite toilet was clean and in good repair as was the shower / bath fitting with soaps and fluffy towels. Plenty of hot water at all times.
Mid evening, dinner called. My initial impression was of a school canteen, rolled paper knapkins under wobbly tables, and hoards of people. But I was pleasantly surprised to find a food buffet style for dinner. Hence the first impression of 2 stars. But, the food was of vast choice, invariably hot, huge salad choices with items like fesh bulk yoghurts, always two soups, and sweet selection. Used to canteens etc., the system was not onerous and I got used to it quickly. The canteen description unfairly devalues it, but is an initial impression. The regular smart staff were lovely too, tables and debris cleared and cloths changed immediately, and drinks service excellent. This food description proved exactly as good for breakfasts where no one could lack a selection from the presented fare with copious coffee or tea. Lunch food is available from the bar once more modestly priced for an hotel.
The nationalities of guests were very varied, and yet one can still spot the Brit!!!!
Then to the bar. Very pally barman with fluent English served any request with a smile evenings and efficient young ladies day time, and at very surprising (to me for an hotel) low prices. The bar is bright, comfortable, overlooking the sea. It is adjacent to the main lounges and excellent pool area. Lit at night it provides a comfy evening atmosphere.
This area provides the stage for entertainment like Greek Dancing. Wonderful and free.
Down side: A main road immediately to front, (with underpass to beach) and a road to the rear, even with balcony doors shut one is always aware of traffic noise. Initially a .light irritation as I live in a Yorks Dales village where most noise is caused by a moo or baaah. I got thoroughly annoyed with the cafe owners in Rhodes town importuning for custom yet on a first visit.
Other than that, I had an absolute great stay, as per the label on the tin.
Sadly the break shine is always removed by the Airbus sardine tin aagain provided by Thomas Cook on the return flight. Frankly I repeated on their questionaire that I have more room on Ryanair, Easyjet, and Jet2 than on their aeroplanes.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
8  Thank alanpaull2
Reviewed 9 May 2012

I stayed in this hotel at first week of May, 2012. Although it was a low season, there was a plenty of guests in this hotel. Mostly older couples from Germany, Netherlands and England. Lobby of a hotel is pretty big, you can sit over there and meet your tour guide or just relax reading some books. The problem was elevator - there are only two elevators for such big hotel, and they are were small (it stated that they are for 3 or 5 person) so it takes too long to use an elevator. Rooms are pretty big and convenient, but also very old fashioned. But everything is pretty clean and tidy. Although hotel considers that due to ecology they change towels once in 2 days, our towels were changed daily. We missed towels by the pool, there was no towels at all. So we had to take our from room. Bath is very incovenient, I can not tell if it was bath or shower, because it had a stair inside (which devides halfly bath) with sticked tape.
Stuff of hotel is pleasant, sometimes in restaurant we had to wait for out beverages, but it wasn`t crticical. Food during brekfast was very monotonous - omlette or scrumbled egg, 5 minute egg, bacon ar sausages, beens, tomatoes, cucambers, feta cheese, some cerials, youghurt and beverages. Swimming pool was unheated, so we never tried to swim there, as it was very cold. The location of hotels is perfect, on one hand there is see nearby, but on the other hand it is only 10 minutes walk to old or new town. There is a supermarket and a la carte restaurant in hotel, but if you want to pay via credit card your order must be over 15 EUR.
We had a room with pool/see view. Also it was a busy road view. Despite very beautiful landscape it was a bit noisy in the evening because of a road. But still it is much better than garden view, when you see 2 under construction building, which are probably never be constructed.

Room Tip: On the high season it is better to choose pool/sea view, because it is nothern side and there is no...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Anastasijab
Reviewed 30 April 2012

The location of the hotel is perfect for sightseeing and is about a 15-20 minute walk ito the old town. The rooms are large with three single beds and ours had a pool/sea view. The problem was the sun did not reach our balcony so therefore the room was cold. During the night there was no heating in the hotel and we were freezing. It got warmer for the last few days so it was not a huge issue but if you go in April bear this in mind. The food was plentiful and there were choices but it was not the best. The salads were good but the hot food was luke warm. The pool area was clean and easy to get a sunbed at any time of the day. The problem for us was the lack of entertainment in the hotel and it was too cold to go into town at night. There was a Greek night on the Friday which was good but nothing else.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank moonbow
Reviewed 12 December 2011

I stayed here for a week with my boyfriend at the end of June on a half board basis after booking through Thomas Cook. The holiday didn't start out great after an 18 hour flight delay (apparently due to striking at the time however flights with other airlines were leaving to Greece all through the day so who knows...) but upon arrival in Rhodes things improved. We met the rep who sent us to the correct coaches and we were on the transfer for 15-20 minutes. I hadn't been to Greece before and noticed how bare all the surrounding land is which is not something that is particularly to my taste. We were the first hotel to be dropped off and the coach drove off as soon as my boyfriend and I stepped off. No one came to assist us carrying our luggage so we made our way up 20 or so steep steps to the hotel. The reception and lobby area is quite airy and nice, but the decor is perhaps a little dated. The hotel staff were cleaning the area on our arrival which was a good start - at least it was clean. Check in was straight forward despite being a day late due to the delay. We got into a small lift and went to our room. I noticed how dark the corridors are with very little natural light and dimmed lights along the wall. We got into our room which was all made and ready to go with the curtains drawn. I knew we had a balcony so I was looking forward to seeing the view. I opened the curtains and......... It was a building site and a main road, fantastic.. or not. I went to reception to enquire about upgrading to a sea view room which we did for about 50 euros for the week. The view was much better and I ended up spending a lot of time on the balcony, the only downside being that between the hotel and the beach is a rather busy road with a lot of traffic and loud mopeds (which seem to be everywhere). While there is obviously some road noise, I didn't find it disturbing as other reviews that mentioned and I am quite a light sleeper but had no problems. The rooms decor was rather dated and looked worn although it was always clean. Their idea of a double room was two single beds which we pushed together ourselves. The bathroom was quite small and again, dated with a shower that leaked all over the floor. The air conditioning worked well and the towels were changed every other day. In terms of food, it wasn't great. As mentioned above we went on a half board basis and all the meals involved a buffet. The breakfast had quite a selection available including bacon, beans, toast, fruit etc but it was extremely repetitive and remained the same every day I was there. The dinners weren't much better with a choice of salads and some hot dishes that seemed to cater more for guests of other nationalities (I would say the guests were 70% german) and the labelling of them didn't necessarily coincide with which dish it was.. for example it might say 'fish' in front of a meat dish.. not great for vegetarians! I tried the dishes that looked appealing and they were edible, but that is all, really nothing special. The pool at the hotel was quite nice to look at but absolutely freezing even during their peak season. There were plenty of sunbeds around the pool but people reserved them quite early so I took towels down when I went for breakfast. Across the road is the beach which was absolutely awful. I didn't even go in the sea because the sand was full of rocks and was impossible to walk on. It was difficult to relax by the pool and beach being so close to the road side. It is worth noting that the hotel is situated on the windy side of the island and it isn't just a breeze, it is wind. This suited me in 30 degree weather and when I went to Faliraki (the other side) I noticed how still it was and found the heat unbearable. You will be within fairly easy access to the old town and new town but the roads to the old town all look the same and I got lost once of twice. There are a strip of bars about 5 minutes from the hotel too which in the mornings had shattered glass all over them and just looked horrible (near the Shell garage). Some of the roads are quite dangerous so its worth taking extra care when you walk anywhere. There were excursions available through the holiday rep but I found them expensive and did my own. I went to the water park in Faliraki (a free shuttle bus from the town) which was a fantastic day out, a boat trip to Lindos (booked through a company down the road from the hotel... come out of the hotel entrance and turn right), a swim stop boat trip and a day out in faliraki. The rates for these were reasonable when booked independently.

I would recommend this hotel as something cheap and cheerful but it is nothing special. If you want luxury this is definitely not the place for you and I saw a lovely looking 5* hotel on the way into the new town so try that out instead. Would not go again

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
13  Thank emily2010notts
Reviewed 5 November 2011

Have stayed here three times now and have already booked for 2012. The pool is large with a handy bar and the beach just across the road (use the underpass) Staff friendly and helpful bath and shower a bit cramped,but rooms cleaned daily and throughly. Food can be a bit repertive but the restaurant has more then enough room.Hotel within easy walking distance of the main shops and harbour. Could do with a reduced rate offered for safe deposit box maybe if staying for more than a week.

Room Tip: Try and get one overlooking the pool,however if travelling solo most of the single rooms overlook th...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank Geoffrey G
Reviewed 2 November 2011

Location is perfect. Short walk from Old town, close to the port and beach nearby.
Convinient & free of charge parking is big deal. Staff is friendly enough.
But... rooms are not so comfortable and clean as they should be.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple