“Do it”

The Waterhoppers Diving School
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Waterhoppers Padi 5 star I.D.C center, started in 1990 in Rhodes Town. Since 2006 also a base in Lindos/Pefkos area. Taking absolute beginners for their first diving experience. Fantastic qualified program with wall,wreck,drift night dives etc. Courses up to Instructor level!
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Fantastic, great crew, really helpful instructors...
My 11 3/4 year old son says (still on boat) he liked everything especially seeing the octopus!!
A fun relaxing way to be introduced to scuba diving would definitely recommend 10/10
Have fun!!
Padi here we come!!!

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We had a good xperiance at the Diving tripp. Me and my kids (10 & 12) had their first dive with good instructors. Next time my wife wanted to dive too. Thanks every one in the crew..

Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Long day on the boat, alright if you like sunbathing, done the scuba diving however not for me lol.Very helpful crew and plenty of divers in the water to assist you very scenic above and below the water.Plenty of snacks and drinks on board. You can also snorkel around the boat and area.

2  Thank Eric C
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My girlfriend and I signed up for two dives as part of an excursion through Thompsons. I’d done a try dive in the past (a little over 10 years ago - but that was in a swimming pool) and it was totally new to my girlfriend. The team on board were very good, from the friendly way they welcomed you to the very competent briefing it was clear from the start that they genuinely cared about you having a good time. We went out from Rhodes mandraki harbour to the floating platform around the island, picking up other divers along the way.

We were told that the first dive would be just trying to acclimatise to being underwater, getting a feel for it and diving for about 20 mins. My GF and I were both a little nervous getting into the water but having a little experience before I remembered roughly what to expect. They start you off very slowly, putting the gear on you and helping you into the water. The first stage is just holding onto the floating platform and having your face underwater whilst trying to get used to breathing through your mouth (as they said in the briefing, most of us are “nose breathers”). For anyone that’s new to diving – it’s a very weird sensation trying to calm your breathing with your face underwater for the first time! Understandably, my GF didn’t like the feeling of trying to breathe through the regulator and got a bit nervous and wasn’t sure she wanted to do it anymore. Whilst I talked this over with her, one of the dive team overheard and said he’d personally stay with her the whole time and look after her. This made her feel much more secure and we started the dive. At this point I got water in my mask and started to panic a bit. The same guy made sure I was alright and we continued with the dive. With the support of the dive team (the Dive master underwater and a team of 4 snorkelers above you the whole time) we had a good first dive and went ahead with the second later that afternoon.

On the second dive my GF was a much more confident and so was I, but, I still got water in my mask. This time whilst telling myself to calm my breathing I opened my eyes whilst still underwater to see that one of the snorkel team had seen what was happening and had come down to appear right in front of me to help me clear my mask. As soon as I had, they checked I was okay and then vanished again! I was really impressed with how they looked after you and shadowed you the whole way but you’d hardly know they were there unless you needed them.

The second dive was really good and we both enjoyed it, so I’d definitely recommend doing the second dive that’s on offer as the first one is just trying to get used to it all rather than enjoying it.

Booking the tour as we did, the only thing I would say is that this is a full day. Considering you’ll only be diving for about 40 mins total this can seem quite a long day and the pick-up and drop offs of other divers along the way stretches that out slightly, but, this is as advertised so bear that in mind.

In terms of the team and the experience I can’t see how they could have been better. They made us feel safe and looked after with a very genuine sense that they really did want you to have a great time – I’d definitely recommend them, we had a great time and have some lovely pictures! Thanks again to the dive team who looked after us so well!

2  Thank Mark_Christensen
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I promised our daughter a few years ago that when she was old enough I would treat her to some diving. Well, these people came around our hotel and we booked up, my wife and I were spectators and our 10 year old did the diving.
Well, she is hooked and wants to do it again next year. We took advantage of the video and photos and they are great too.
There is a bar on board the boat selling lovely large baguettes and donuts. Beers are slightly expensive, but nice and cold.
A great day out.