All reviews basic hotel change towels old town every other day double bed elli beach perfect location nikos
Reviewed 25 September 2012

I needed a hotel in Rhodes town for the night as the ferry from the Island on which I was staying was too late for the flight out of Rhodes and came up with The Carina Hotel at either £20 or 20 Euros, I can't remember which. Having booked it I then checked the reviews (better the other way I know!) so I arrived expecting the worst. The receptionist was friendly and helpful, the room was small but clean, with A/C which was a pleasant surprise and free Wifi in the lobby. It is situated just off "The strip", has a pleasant open air bar downstairs and is very close to all the restaurants and bars but no noisy clubs that I could see. I checked out at 5.00am so I can't comment on the breakfast. My stay was late September 2012 so towards the end of the season but the place was still quite busy. A bargain all in all.

Date of stay: September 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
4  Thank johnandfranners
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Before our trip I read all the reviews about the hotel, and actually I was quite afraid of going there. After the week we spend there, I'm really positively surprised about the quality of service, cleanliness of the rooms and especially about the location of the hotel in the center of the city. Short walk to both beaches, old town and the new town shops.
Breakfast, as told in the reviews before, wasn't actually gourmet: Bread rolls, croissants, some cheese and ham (which I didn't taste at all), and eggs or youghurt (natural or flavoured) every other morning. Still, it was eatable and with it you survived until the next food.
Food in hotel bar was good, on a couple of days we ate there omelettes for lunch. Price was also cheap.
All the staff were polite and helpful, and the cleaning lady kept our room extremely tidy the whole week!
Our room was small, and the glass door of the toilet was pretty weird... But in spite of that our room was good place to store your luggage, take a shower and to sleep. Balcony view wasn't too breathtaking: Next buildings stairway. But that's a thing I can live with.

We might have been lucky, or then the hotel has improved, but I can't see any reason to complain. Two star hotel is two star hotel, though as a two star hotel this was little bit better than the usual. I'll recommend Carina for everyone, who isn't going to spend the whole holiday in the hotel room, or balcony ;)!

Date of stay: August 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Minna453
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I was in this hotel in 2007 and i decided to go again this year,cause i was really suprised how clean the room was,huge balcon,view not so nice(other hotel and street),but for that money was more than ok! breakfest was terible,only croissants every morning and tea&coffee,but i woke very late so i didnt care :) ... but,again,room was really nice, and the air-conditioner was free,the bed was comfortable,bathroom was small but ok, we always had hot water!
i hope that nothing changed till now and that its still ok....;)

Date of stay: July 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
7  Thank Ana S
Reviewed 19 September 2011

OK, so its not the Ritz. But then given the price that's hardly surprising. We visit the Mandilara area of Rhodes every year, and have stayed in many of the hotels. The Carina has 'pros' over some of the others (the bathroom and balcony were bigger than the Ambassador) and 'cons' (needs a refurb, bathroom fittings especially).

OK - so the negatives:
- Don't bother with breakfast, most are terrible in the Mandilara hotels, this was the worst so far
- Super-tiny safety deposit boxes
- Rooms are 'tired' and need a refurb. A bit of peeling paint, old bathroom fittings which give the appearance of being dirty (but aren't, the cleaners do a good job with what they have to work with!)
- Poor views from the balcony, BUT - this is the case with many of the hotels in the area due to the layout so not the Carina's fault (although they could clear away the debris dropped from balconies)
- The air con drains into a water bottle on the balcony which overflows quickly and you have to empty yourself (though the cleaners may have done it you can't wait for them or the balcony gets flooded)
- Very little storage in a small room, especially if you are there 2 weeks. Only place to put cases is on top of wardrobe and you will need to store some clothes in your cases.
- No hairdryer, take your own!
- Previous comments about paper-thin walls are spot on. You really can hear everything in the rooms around, above and below you.

The positives:
- Great location
- Great price
- Air con is free (we have had a daily charge in some places)
- Staff are lovely, the lady on reception and the guys at the bar will do anything to help you
- Nice bar area
- Rooms are clean, done every day except Sunday incl clean towels
- Fridge in room

In summary, I wouldn't say 'don't go there' if you are used to the general standard of 2/3 star Greek hotels you will find its OK. If this is your first time and you are used to 4star or above or other destinations, spend more and stay at the Marie, Ibiscus, Cactus etc etc.

Date of stay: September 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
6  Thank andrea_birch
Reviewed 5 September 2011

Before going to Rhodes I remember reading a few reviews on this hotel. "Do not go there" was one and I thought to myself: "There will always be haters and it just cant be THAT bad". After one week on Carina I'm surprised I actually agree with that review.
I'm not sure though whether we were just unlucky or if the hotel actually was really bad. To begin with we were four people coming down to Rhodos to party for a week and therefore our demands were quite low. We only wanted a cheap and simple hotel to stay during the nights, however we simply couldnt ignore everything that was bad about this hotel.

It started from the very arrival at the hotel. The receptionist told us he wasnt able to give us the rooms we had booked. We had booked 2 double rooms but were given only one big room for four people. They said they would give us new rooms the next morning. This was false though and we had to stay in the big room for another night. Of course we were displeased with this and called Apollo many times and discussed our situation. Apollo called the Hotel and fixed it. The worst thingabout the rooms was probably the bathrooms. The door was almost transparent and there was no lock on it whatsoever. Just cant figure out who would make such a poor choice of a bathroom door. A little hasp would make a huge difference and it's not expensive to add. Additonally,The shower hose once started showering by itself and we had difficulties turning it off (Not kidding). Most of the time we were just laughing at this hotel but it kind of broke it for us when we got robbed by the cleaning lady. An iPhone and 300 Euros were stolen. When we called Apollo they said it actually wasnt the first time people had got robbed at Hotel Carina this summer. They also mentioned they would call Carina for a meeting to discuss their future cooperation. It was obvious Apollo werent confident sending tourists to Carina unless changes would be made. This really says something about this hotel.

Now, lets get to what was actually good about this hotel. It was in fact perfectly situated. Close to both beaches and very close to the barstreet. This was also the reason why we chose this Hotel in the first place. In addition we were allowed to refill our water bottles for free at the hotel. A big plus!

I'm planning to come back to Rhodes next summer but I know for sure I won't be staying at Hotel Carina. There are many other hotels that are perfectly situated and I will probably choose one of those instead.

Date of stay: August 2011