“Staying in Als” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #112 of 129 Hotels in Rhodes Town
Schiedam, The Netherlands
“Staying in Als”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

We stayed there several times. This is in Rhodes our favourite hotel. It's a small and simple hotel, with nice rooms. a very friendly staff and located between the aquarium and the old city.
Had about 50 rooms, with only a breakfast service, but with a lot of nice restaurant in the neighbourhood who want to have dinner in a hotel. The port and the old city are in walking distance, # 10 minutes. A nice hotel where the staff knows you by name and not by number. Also a nice bar on street level, one where you find most of the times only locals.

Room Tip: If possible ask for room on the topfloor ( streat side ) gives you a great side over the sea and a p...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AHAvdB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Turku, Finland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

Hotel Als in Rhodos Town City is not worth even the crappy two stars they hold. I had booked a double room for onw week in July 2013 but was first sent a single room. When I asked about this, the lady of the house just informed me that she can´t help me and added that there will be no refund. When I persisted, they agreed to give the room I had paid for in three days. Only after i contacted the travel agent I got my room the next day. No apologies, nothing. The breakfast was terrible, bad coffee, a joke of a juice, croissants from vacuum and yes, tinned peaches in the middle of the high season of fresh fruits. I didn´t bother after the first morning. The rooms are unwelcoming, dirty, worn out. There are no international channels on tv, just cold white walls with marks of god knows what. Cockroaches in the toilet. I understand that with two stars it is modest, but this hotel is just down right terrible. I would never, ever choose this hotel again. It is not even cheap, except as a figure of speech. Only positive thing I can see is location. But there are several others with just as good a location, so I´d say: choose another hotel if you can.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank LiisaL

Travellers are raving about these Rhodes Town hotels

San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

This hotel is the worlds best kept secret! I would love to shout this from rooftops! Seriously...whoever does yor advertising should be fired and I should be hired! I would advertise like a mad person! The world should know what they're missing!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

This is a perfectly ok hotel considering it's 2 star rating. It's clean, close to the beach - some of the rooms have amazing sea views - and the staff is very friendly and helpful. I have stayed here on and off for 15 years and the only little complaint I have is that the breakfast is not that fantastic. But then again, not even in Hotel Mediterranean do you get good orange juice (and yes I have stayed there too). I usually skip breakfast and go to Finncafé, about 20 meters from the hotel. There you get a breakfast not even 5 star hotels in Greece can provide, at a fraction of the cost - fantastic filter coffee and fresh orange juice and a variety of fresh sandwiches and pies. ALS really is the perfect budget alternative. Also the hotel bar is one of the few bars in the area that actually serves original labels. The location of the hotel couldn't be better. It is beautifully situated in a calm square with palm trees with very little traffic. Free wifi (the surrounding hotels charge for their wifi).

Room Tip: Ask for room from the 3rd floor and up with sea views.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank restaurant00009
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012 via mobile

What's bad: I didn't expect much from this hotel and was still dissatisfied. As others say you can't expect to get new towels every day. Sometimes we had to bring them down to the reception and ask for new ones. The breakfast is a joke. We tried it a couple of mornings but it was so bad that we gave up and had breakfast in one of the local restaurants instead. Small rooms with small beds. I am only about 173 cm and my feet where hanging out. There are chairs on the terasse but no table.

What's good: location..

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Kleiveland
Skotterud
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2012

Just came back from a week's stay in the Als hotel.... The location is great; but the hotel lacks personality and comfort. It was certainly not the cheapest hotel, but it seems they are stuck in the past when it comes to breakfast especially. Terrible coffee, awful "juice"! My advice is to visit a nearby cafe; they serve an excellent breakfast and also provides half of the guests at Elli Beach with good baguettes! :)
Als has not been updated in 20 years, or so it seems...
The maid did a very good job of keeping our room clean, changing towels every day, and even bedlinen twice. I don't think we got value for our moeny here, and will not be recommending this hotel.

Room Tip: Book a room at the Cactus Hotel.....
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank ronita67
Ljubljana, Slovenia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2011

It is a cheep hotel and I knew that room wouldn't be much but the thing that disappointed me was that there were no clean towels and they picked the old towels from the floor and served them as new. When I went to the reception to ask for new ones the receptionist gave me dirty ones from someone else. Then I went again and he gave me clean ones.. I hope.
But the next day they took the clean ones and again served dirty ones. After that I gave up.

The small room and the small dirty bathroom were no problem, I knew where I was going. But at least I expected clean towels every two days.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple