If you want to be based right inside the fantasticly atmospheric medieval Old Town, this small, friendly, eight room 'boutique hotel' in a renovated old 19th century building is just yards from the top of the Avenue of the Knights and the Grand Master's Palace. It can be a problem persuading taxi drivers to bring you to the hotel door - cars are banned during the day with an exception made for taxis bringing guests with luggage, but they are very reluctant to do so, and you can sympathize with them as the progress up the Avenue of the Knights becomes almost impossible owing to the number of tourists.
The rooms are decorated in Moorish/Ottoman style, a little shabby in places, but full of character. We stayed in the Vosporos Suite and were pleasantly surprised to find the sitting area light and bright with plenty of windows (it looked a bit dark on the website). 'Sea View' is a slight stretch of the imagination, though you can see it in the distance beyond not very attractive back yards and rooftops. (Tip: You can see the cruise ships arriving and departing, so if you're planning a visit to Lindos, check if there are any in dock, as the additional thousands of tourists bussed down there make it unpleasantly overcrowded). The bed could well be the most comfortable in Greece! Unfortunately our sleep was disturbed by stray dogs barking - if you're a light sleeper you might consider earplugs. The bathroom is lovely with beautiful tiled floor, twin sinks and handpainted cabinets plus a most unusual illuminated ceiling feature. It would be nice to have a wall attachment for the hand held shower over the jacuzzi bath. Useless hairdryer of the 'elephant trunk' variety! TV in sitting area didn't work other than to show a clip of the Nikos Takis Fashion Show (Nikos and Takis were fashion designers and it is still a 'high end' fashion label). TV in the bedroom apparently worked but we couldn't operate it. There's a fridge (not a mini bar) and we were welcomed with fruit, wine and water in the room. The air conditioning is the best we've encountered anywhere - silent, unobtrusive and very effective.
There are only 3 staff: George and Michael run the hotel, and Irina makes the breakfasts and keeps the rooms spotlessly clean. The breakfasts are good though very calorific with pastries, bread, cakes and eggs or crepes cooked to order and served on the outside terrace, which along with the more exposed decking area provides a lovely, tranquil place to relax during the day. I'd describe the hotel as more of a B&B, as there is no bar/cafe and the reception is usually manned only in the morning and late afternoon/early evening.
Lots of choice of restaurants - we liked Pizanias Kyriakos and Taverna Kostas for traditional greek cooking, and Marco Polo for something a bit more refined.
There is free on-street parking for cars should you hire one outside the town through the nearest gate - the Amboise Gate. Michael was able to arrange an electric buggy to transport us and our cases through the gate from where we could wheel them to our car, which was a great help on our departure.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Right in the heart of Medieval Town of Rhodes, and just a few steps from the Great Magistro’s Palace, and the Knight’s street, you will meet the brand new “Nikos Takis Fashion Hotel”, which was recently created by the well known fashion designers Nikos and Takis. Every single corner in this hotel reflects a great oriental atmosphere with bright colours, and of course all the modern facilities that make it the perfect choice for a short or even longer stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., LoveHolidays, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Nikos Takis Fashion Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Nikos Takis Fashion Boutique
- Nikos Takis Fashion Hotel Rhodes/Rhodes Town