“Good value for money but food let it down”
Review of Lomeniz Hotel

Lomeniz Hotel
Ranked #68 of 126 Hotels in Rhodes Town
Reviewed 15 July 2011

I returned from Lomeniz yesterday, having spent an All Inclusive week there with my boyfriend. The guests at Lomeniz are mainly families and couples and a mixture of nationalities. When I was reading reviews I wanted clear, honest opinions on the negatives and positives of the hotel. So I hope this helps!

Positives
Rooms: Simple décor and recently refurbished. We had a pool view room on the 3rd floor which we were happy with, although some of the rooms look out to the scruffy road.

Pool: Clean with music, children and families playing around the pool.

Cleanliness: Rooms were cleaned daily and hotel was always clean (apart from downstairs communal toilets which could be pretty grim at times).

Reception staff: very helpful, polite and were happy to help with any enquiries, they also rescued us when we had a problem with our transfer to the airport.

Negatives
Beds were two singles pushed together (not exactly the romantic!)

Beware of the guy on reception at night. We arrived very tired at about 2pm, wanting a drink of water. We were informed we had to wear a tacky wrist band to show we were all inclusive, the bar was closed and no drinks were available and the lift was broken, meaning I had to drag my suitcase up 2 flights of stairs with no offer of help from the receptionist.

Not enough sun loungers to accommodate guests. On our last day more loungers appeared, however there was still a shortage and you have to reserve one early morning. Not enough outside chairs and tables by the bar in the evening.

No evening entertainment. I thought that this wouldn’t bother me, however being away from the main town, the hotel certainly needs some source of entertainment.

Location was not ideal. However, having read some reviews on here the surrounding area is not as bad as some say. Certainly not picturesque but it is not isolated, there are some nearby restaurants and corner shops. Only a twenty minute walk to Old Town and 5 Euro taxi ride. Beach nearby which is pebbly. We didn’t go (preferring free drinks around the pool!) but it looked fine.

Bar staff aren’t overly hospitable and the girls have trouble understanding simple orders at times, but they do their job and can understand their attitude given the never ending stream of All Inclusive guests wanting drinks.

The FOOD: very repetitive and cold. Every single lunch and evening meal consisted of: plain beetroot, grilled peppers from out of a jar, dolmades, failed attempt at roast potatoes, either smash/limp French fries/weird potato dauphonoise which was more potato in mayo, plain pasta and rice, a different tomato and vegetable based dish (aubergine/okra and courgette/broad beans), a meat in a sauce that was buttery and fatty and chicken on the bone which you had to scrape to get meat from. Every dessert consisted of water melon, ice cream and jelly. The breakfasts were also the same every day.

For the first couple of days the food was fine, it tastes okay and isn’t terrible but seven days of the same meals is not much fun and if you are looking for authentic Greek food, as we were, do not go here! We tended to eat out once a day for a break and the food in town is amazing and great value.

All in all, the hotel itself is absolutely fine and is good value for money. However, you can tell the managers have things on a purse string, not spending money on entertainment/extra loungers and chairs/spending minimum on the food/turning Air con off at 7am. I recommend going to this hotel as Bed and Breakfast/Self Catered as long as you don’t mind a short walk into town.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Hka_222

Reviewed 13 July 2011

i would never normally be bothered to write a review on a hotel as most iv stayed in have been fine, however i feel its only fair to warn anybody who might be considering a holiday at the lomeniz, after i was attacked for NO REASON!! by some loonatic girl who when checkin in was having an almighty row with her boyfriend!! shortly after they had checked in i was taken off my feet by this nutter just for being in the wrong place at the wrong time!! i know this was no fault of the hotels but the fact she caused no end of trouble ie, smashed up her room and frightened the life out of some children stayin in the room next to her, and generally making mine and a lot of other peoples stay very uncomfortable !!! there were a number of complaints made about her ,but despite all the complaints and the attack the manager allowed her to stay in the hotel puttin mine and everybody elses safety at risk!! i was told to ignore her for the last 4 days of my so called holiday! and if i did anything to her the police would be called! sure enough she went mad again less than 2 days later and although i was assured if she done 1 more thing wrong the police would be called and she would be out ! they let her get away with it again, i asked the hotel to call the police on the night she attacked me but they did not! so if you like spending your holiday looking over your shoulder the whole time and being concerned for your safety then by all means book the lomeniz, the 1st 2 days of the holiday we were most dissapointed with the food, it was like slop! pkt mash potatoe, peas and carrotts in mayonaisse annorexic chicken wings and no toaster in mornings, and we could never get one of the 20 odd sunbeds they had round the pool, but we were quite happy to just eat out and go to the beach, but after i was assaulted i was adament i would write a review! luckily for us we met some very nice people on this holiday which was the only thing that kept us sane! also alex in the restaraunt was very pleasant and so was lucky in the bar, and georgina at reception did try her hardest to help me but had to do as the manager said, also if your scared of big dogs there are lots of strays in the surrounding streets of the hotel,the rooms were clean and the look of the hotel overall was very nice, but they had obviously scrimped in other areas ie. the food,sunbeds and lifts did not work most of the time

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 July 2011

We just arrived home yesterday from a week at the Lomeniz Beach Hotel. I thought I would put my review on here as I used trip advisor for booking this and found it helpful.

The Hotel has recently been refurbished (just close your eyes and pinch your nose if you use the downstairs public toilets!) so is all very new and modern. When we arrived we were given our room card, two AI bands and a sheet of paper explaining the facilities. I wouldn't say the guy on reception was rude but as it was early morning and he seemed to be the night manager I think we were his last check in before the end of his shift and as a result were kind of left to our own devices.

Food - All the food was cooked well but there was so little choice we got bored after two days. The greek salad was lovely but not served every day which was a shame as we could have happily filled up on it for lunch most days. I would say the dishes were what you would expect really - rice, pasta, chicken and pork most days with large trays of shredded cabbage. We had chips one night which the Brits went mad for (oh the shame!) We craved some proper traditional Greek food so went out most nights after this and the food in the restaurants and tavernas was absolutely stunning and really reasonably priced - my tip would be to eat out as much as you can!

Service - All staff seemed to be quite shy apart from the main bar-man (his name is Lucky and he was O.K). When you walked through reception in the day the receptionists didn't even look up let alone say hello which I found quite strange. I'm sure if we had wanted something they would have been helpful but they didn't really make themselves approachable.

On our 3rd night a domestic between a young british couple could be heard in the reception area and the girl ended up pushing a friend of ours across the bar in a completely unprovoked attack. No-one appeared to defuse the situation and I ended up speaking to this girl myself and calmed her down. The hotel management should have called the police but when this was mentioned the girl burst into (crocodile!) tears and they didn't. This was a violent attack which ruined our night and put us on guard for the rest of our stay. We were extremely disappointed that this couple weren't at least moved to another hotel (which initially they promised to do) so we could forget about this incident. We went out most nights after this just so we could relax. I know this wasn't the hotels fault but I think it was handled badly.

Pool area - For some reason I did not like the pool area. It was clean and as usual there were towels on the sunbeds from 6am but I couldn't relax and just didn't enjoy sitting there - possibly this was just my own personal feelings and as the beach was only across the road I preferred to go there.

Rhodes old town is beautiful and there's plenty to do. It's about a 20-25 minute walk if you go along the coast but slightly quicker if you walk through the town. A taxi should cost 5 euros but if you book it through the hotel or restaurant they add a few euros on - not sure why.

In summary, I'm glad we booked AI even though we didn't really eat much in the restaurant as the drinks are expensive (6 euros for a vodka and coke!) so we made the most of the bar and the food in the tavernas and restaurants was so good and fairly cheap that it didn't really matter. If you go SC/RO buy some duty free and put some mixers in the fridge - it will save you a fortune!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Lauz1210
Reviewed 11 July 2011

Didn't really live up to the adage of 'you get what you pay for'. We were pretty pleased with the rooms and the maids were very good so no qualms there but that is what you'd expect from any hotel. Location wise it's a bit of a trek into town on foot as 25mins walking in 30+ degree heat isn't for everyone everyday. Taxis are 7 euros out and 5 back however. There is a bus which is 1 euro but it's every hour. There is a beach near the hotel which is ok but it's by a busy main road and is pretty heavily littered. The food is good only if you like pork and chicken in gravy for lunch and dinner every single day. I can't say whether we were amused or bemused by the jelly and ice cream on offer for pudding every day but I can certainly say we were less than impressed. The bar is ok but the drinks are very limited and the spirits are of a very low grade and there is only one beer on tap. There is no information for the British in the hotel but you can find it all out in town.
If you enjoy sitting by the pool whilst on holiday then the lominez is probably not going to be your cup of tea. Either last thing at night or before 6am there are towels down on every lounger and the pool area is very small for the size of hotel.
We wouldn't book here again and suggest you go for a hotel nearer to town and with better food and facilities. Shame.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 7 July 2011

I stayed at Lomeniz in august 2008 and it was great. There are two of them, one in Rhodes town - the one I'm reviewing now, and another one - Lomeniz Blue in Kalithea. The one in Rhodes Town is excellent from many points of view: the rooms are big, with modern furniture and equipments, the food is simply excellent and the pool is quite ok, even though not very big. It is about 5 minutes from the bus station and taxi, but you can have the staff call one for you at the hotel. The only down side is the surrounding, not very attractive since there were some constructions going on.
The Lomeniz Blue in Kalithea is smaller and simply furnished, but the location is charming - a small bay - and the pool is excellent.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Yna_R0
Reviewed 1 July 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed for 7 nights in June 2011 and had a lovely time. I was a little nervous after making the booking after reading some of the reviews written before hand. I agree with some of the faults made againts the hotel including; not enough sun loungers by the pool as there are a heavy amount of Germans and reserve beds at early hours of the morning, and the food availble is limited and not of great quality. However, we went on a board basis of bed and breakfast and found some amazing restraunts in the Old Rhodes Town. We didnt choose to walk to the town during our stay and used the local taxi service, the average rate into Rhodes town was around 6 euros. People who are writting the bad reviews about this Hotel are clearly not looking at how much they are paying for their holiday you do get what you pay for!!! However the rooms are of a good standard and are cleaned daily, the receptionist staff are lovely and will go out of their way to help you and they need to be more commended for this. As a couple we had an amazing time and have brought back some lovely memories from Rhodes it is a beautiful Island! Please dont let any of the bad reviews put you off, I recommend that you go for a bed and breakfast basis and eat in the restraunts in the old town! Make the most of what is around you and you will enjoy every minute of your stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Emi-h
Reviewed 1 July 2011

Hotel not as discribed in broucher arrived @ 17.45 booked in handed paper with rules& regs. only to find evening meal times were crossed out from 21.00hrs to 20.00hrs by the time booked in resturant was closed ( no snacks were offered ) had to go out for meal, breakfast very limited choice for English people, and luke warm food, lunch evening meals were basic pork,chicken,pasta,blanched veg served @ both lunch & evening sittings spag boll served 3 times in 1st 4 days all drinks served in plastic glasses for all inc. guests @ all times (last orders 22.45 for all inc.) felt this a bit early but drinks can be purchased after this time and are then served in glasses limited English spoken by bar staff execpt bar mananger Lukis.
Hotel rooms basic, bathroom very compact clean sheets/towels changed daily except Sundays little else cleaned (dusting,or cleaning tops floors mopped)
Hotel 1.9km from Old Town €4-€5 taxi fare away or approx.30 min.walk not much near hotel in way of shops/bars.
Not found in hotel cafe bar,snack bar,mini market,games room as adveritsed on internet as available (only snacks found were sauage rolls biscuits & cake left on table outside resturant door not replaced when empty) also no Greek night as advertised on hotel internet site
Changing money into Euro very limited front desk staff most helpful no cleaners on site during evening for cleaning of toilets if req. all left to morning inc.replacement toilet rolls
No English reps call on site unless requested we had no rep as we travelled with Escape Holidays but telephoned Olympic who kindly sent Cheryl to help book some tours as there are no booking shops avalible in Rhodes that we found.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
#14 of 34 in Kolimbia
Hotel Parthenon City
Hotel Parthenon City
#108 of 126 in Rhodes Town

Been to Lomeniz Hotel? Share your experiences!