“Nice hotel for the price”
Review of Sylvia Hotel

Sylvia Hotel
Ranked #65 of 126 Hotels in Rhodes Town
Reviewed 14 October 2011

We paid really cheap for this hotel. So for the price is a great hotel. I saw there were reviews for another hotel on this site, so I attach a link of the right hotel.
The rooms are very spacious and clean. Staff is very friendly and helpfull. Only the balcony is very, very small and so is the elevator, we could hardly put 2 persons and 2 suitcases inside. The breakfast is ok. Only at night you cound't have the balcony opened, because of the traffic. Location it's not that great if you like to go to the beach. There are two small beaches in harbour, but I woudn't use it. The nice city beach is a 20 min walk. This was no problem for us, beacuse we had a motorbike and we cruised around the island all the time. But hotel is very near the old town, so it's great for the evenings.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nity24

Reviewed 22 September 2011

Trip Advisor for Silvia hotel in Rhodes

I went to Rhodes Via Fethiye Turkey on the hovercraft. I chose the Sylvia because I knew it was close to where the hovercraft docks and near the old city. I didn’t want to cart my luggage through the rough streets looking for my hotel so took a cab. It was 5 euro. The hotel is old but has been remodelled. The reception was lovely and warm and spoke good english. I took the very small elevator to the 2nd floor to my room and liked it quite well. Modest with a narrow but wrap around balcony with a table and 2 chairs, a view of the ocean and the harbour. The bathroom was too small and difficult to get in and out of, but the air conditioning worked very well, as did wifi in every part of the hotel including my room. The shower drain backed up first day but every time you go downstairs they ask you if everything is ok and when I told them they said they would have it fixed immediately, and they did.
The breakfast is buffet style, eggs, breads, cheese, meat, sweet breads, juices, coffee and tea. The only thing I would suggest adding is fresh fruit or vegetables. They have no restaurant but there is a bar and they will recommend excellent restaurants close by. They are 1 block from the walls of the old town, 3 blocks to the entrance, 2 blocks to a great swimming beach by the cruise ships (believe it or not). Three blocks from a fabulous family run restaurant on the water called Locanda, where all the food is home-made and some things, like capers, are even made by the grandmother.
The Silvia is clearly a family run business, started by the grandfather many years ago and continued by family. They treat you so warmly and are exceedingly helpful. I am giving it 3 star because really that’s what it is, but a lovely stay, great, warm and helpful people, excellent location and VERY inexpensive. I would definitely stay here again!!

Room Tip: It's a quiet street, I don't think there would be a noisy room. Perhaps a higher floor facin...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank equinequeen
Reviewed 24 July 2011

This hotel is called Silvia and located in Rhodes Town as the address states so why do people write reports about a hotel called Sivila which is situated in another part of Rhodes, Afandou i think.
This is a nice little 2 star hotel which is clean and has nice staff.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank yassoutoyou
Reviewed 14 September 2010

positives- room was clean but basic. pool area fair there were plenty of sunbeds. most of the staff were helpful & friendly but were mostly from albania so you will be disappointed if you were expecting greeks! the management were rude & unhelpful. mainly polish/german guests who were ignorant unless confronted. constant loud repetitive music playing. all spirits watered down & the plastic beakers you were given to drink from made you feel like a child. if you come to rhodes you will have a fab time just do not stay at the sivila (fawlty towers). best thing for this hotel is to close it

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank flange43
Reviewed 29 August 2010

Located just outside of the Rhodes old city walls (just a 5-10 minute walk along a beautiful, shaded pine forested park to the fort city itself), Silvia Hotel appears to be a converted apartment building in a nice, safe part of town. It has about 7-8 floors, and has a very nicely decorated, clean lobby. The rooms themselves are spacious and clean, but they do have old plumbing in the bathrooms and that may put off American tourists who are used to septic tanks that are considerably newer than many of their European counterparts. Nothing terribly disruptive, mind you, but don't be surprised if your bathroom isn't completely odorless. This isn't unique to this hotel at this price point.

Having said that, however, what makes this hotel really stand out is the wonderful hospitality and above-and-beyond service of the family who runs this hotel. The lady at the front desk (I forget her name, only that it means 'liberty' in Greek!), who speaks very competent English, helped us sort out the horrid situation with our ferry to Fethiye. The ferry company is a whole another sordid story, but she was quick to pick up the phone and call Turkey to try to figure things out for us, and spent many minutes trying every single thing she could to ensure we had everything sorted out for the next part of our trip. THANK YOU for your wonderful service, Silvia hotel!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank staratdusk
Reviewed 17 October 2009

This is a review of the Sylvia Hotel, Rhodes Town not of the one in Afandou as many of the reviews are here. Clean, friendly, cheap for Rhodes Town and in a quiet neighbourhood south of the Old Town (about 10 minutes walk gets you into the southern reaches of the Old Towan). Handy for the main ferry port and not too far to walk for the catamaran berth at Marine Gate (I did it with about 25 kilos in rucksack on my back!)

Rooms small, clean, well furnished - didn't get to try the hotel bar as we had to be up early the next morning, but it looked to be quite "local". Will be staying here again.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ElenitsaB
Reviewed 7 October 2007

I was dreading this holiday after reading the reviews, this was my first holiday as a solo traveller but as it happens I ended up having a fab time. This was more down to the people I met, Marilyn ,Bill, Sheila and all the other lovely guests there were some great characters. It got of to a dodgy start (3 rooms in 1 hour) but I was to tired to care. The breakfasts were a hoot! the morning we only got 3 slices of toast instead of the usual 4 was seemingly because the slices of bread were larger!!we laughed till we cried!It was basis accomadationbut if you want 5 star pay for 5 star..Poppy was always friendly and the two gentlemen on reception could not do enough to help. the prices in hotel were a bit highif rduced them i'm sure mre people would stay round hotel on an evening.The town of Afandou is lovely plenty of tavernas I never had one bad meal,Then there was the bar on the square where the owner was a right joker with everyone(Richard was mine Mags)There was a festival on when I was there to thank the tourists, people were dressed in traditional Greek dress with free food and drink.magical.
The lady at the end of the drive in the supermarket is just the nicest person as is her son and my thoughts and prayers are with you both. so everything went fine until the last day when i got either bit or stung by something on the beach oh it was so painful and by the end of the day i was convinced it had been a snake(I tend to exagerate a little)So all in all it was a peaceful holiday better than I could of ever imagined.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled solo